What will be your next photography related purchase? Or what photography gear do you lust after?

Exceptionally small beer - a cap buckle (because I'm forever losing my lens caps in the multitude of pockets I have)

Decided to dip my toe into drones, and have ordered a Mavic Mini 2. Excited!

Took my first flight with the Mini 2 this afternoon. I have to say...it is SO much fun. Easy to set up, intuitive controls etc. I was only really practising manoeuvres, and checking out the different flight modes to get a feel for it, but my 3 fully charged batteries were all used, and left me wishing I had 3 more. I took a few RAW photos, and a couple of short clips in 4K to check the quality later on, but on first impressions, I think it will be going everywhere with me :0)

Having learned to fly with the basic AIR, I am looking for the 1" sensor in the Pro2 and the extra flight time will be a bonus. I have 5x batteries for the AIR which gives me useful flight overall, but it is a pain to have to keep coming back every 15 minutes, if flying gently you can stretch that to 17 minutes but hovering for still photography and just a little adjustment of position takes more battery than flying level. In essence the pro2 has double the flight time and stronger wind capability, plus the much greater resolution and low light performance. I have some uses for it this year provided we get the weather. I need to learn to produce videos too - sound is the biggy, so I might invest in a couple of microphones too and a spund recording device. The video clip aspect is only part of video, good sound can make a massive difference.

A big old DSLR! I’ve got a fancy for a Nikon D850, but the wallet is saying more likely a D810!

Wifey would probably say neither :ROFLMAO:

I am debating selling ALL my remaining Nikon FF kit as I am enjoying the 645z so much. Watch the classifieds on here, good stuff does come up. D810's are very good for the money but the D850 is class also

I am debating selling ALL my remaining Nikon FF kit as I am enjoying the 645z so much. Watch the classifieds on here, good stuff does come up. D810's are very good for the money but the D850 is class also

Sell it get the Pentax 300mm f/5.6 ;) I actually use to own the lens when I had the 645D bloody good piece of kit! Can't beat the quality of the medium format stuff, only reason I went back to DSLR kit was fps and size, fitting a 645 series a lens or two compared to a 1D/5D size body and 35mm in my bag for work was just near impossible the room I had.

Talking on the terms of GAS just got myself a crazy good deal traded my old pride and joy the Canon 1Ds Mark II for a Canon 1Dx in good nick 145k shutter count with less than £200 difference!

Sell it get the Pentax 300mm f/5.6 ;) I actually use to own the lens when I had the 645D bloody good piece of kit! Can't beat the quality of the medium format stuff, only reason I went back to DSLR kit was fps and size, fitting a 645 series a lens or two compared to a 1D/5D size body and 35mm in my bag for work was just near impossible the room I had.

Talking on the terms of GAS just got myself a crazy good deal traded my old pride and joy the Canon 1Ds Mark II for a Canon 1Dx in good nick 145k shutter count with less than £200 difference!

It's no even dear, you can get them on eBay for a few hundred - same with the 150-300 which given how I use the camera might be better.

IQ is off the chart and the camera is just a pleasure to use - even more so than the Nikon.

But yes...it's not exactly the most portable rig in the world but I tend to shoot fairly close to the car and when walking take just the lens I need for the shoot. In that sense I am finding the gear works pretty well.

Last edited:
It's no even dear, you can get them on eBay for a few hundred - same with the 150-300 which given how I use the camera might be better.

IQ is off the chart and the camera is just a pleasure to use - even more so than the Nikon.

But yes...it's not exactly the most portable rig in the world but I tend to shoot fairly close to the car and when walking take just the lens I need for the shoot. In that sense I am finding the gear works pretty well.

Exactly I remember when I jumped ship for the price I sold a 24-70mm Canon I got like 3/4 lenses Pentax fit covering all ranges, I was shocked for the money how decent they actually were.

For the landscape shots and that kind of stuff it really is the best, I can see & understand why you are hanging onto the Nikon stuff just to cover all bases I would imagine you got some larger mm Lenses left for the Nikon, mind you the old D8xxx series are superb specially for the money.

Exactly I remember when I jumped ship for the price I sold a 24-70mm Canon I got like 3/4 lenses Pentax fit covering all ranges, I was shocked for the money how decent they actually were.

For the landscape shots and that kind of stuff it really is the best, I can see & understand why you are hanging onto the Nikon stuff just to cover all bases I would imagine you got some larger mm Lenses left for the Nikon, mind you the old D8xxx series are superb specially for the money.

I've got a 70-200 2.8 and 200-500 5.6. I've tried my hand at birds etc with the 200-500 but it's just not my genre. Now - I've used the 200-500 for the odd landscape but never beyond 240mm...yet but once in the Alps I might well want this...a lot.

The VR on the 70-200 2.8 is handy and I fear I would miss it. But between the 80-160 I have for the 645z and the 150-300 I'd have the field of view plus some covered and the funds released from the D810, 70-200 2.8 and 200-500 would be significant and would more than cover the cost of the 150-300 and 300 5.6 leaving me with stacks of left over cash

Decisions mate, decisions.

Last edited:
I've got a 70-200 2.8 and 200-500 5.6. I've tried my hand at birds etc with the 200-500 but it's just not my genre. Now - I've used the 200-500 for the odd landscape but never beyond 240mm...yet but once in the Alps I might well want this...a lot.

The VR on the 70-200 2.8 is handy and I fear I would miss it. But between the 80-160 I have for the 645z and the 150-300 I'd have the field of view plus some covered and the funds released from the D810, 70-200 2.8 and 200-500 would be significant and would more than cover the cost of the 150-300 and 300 5.6 leaving me with stacks of left over cash

Decisions mate, decisions.

Decisions indeed mate! very true when we can travel again that D810 200-500mm combo as you say in the alps and similar settings maybe unmissable, really handy for them shots, hard to replace 500mm on 645z I mean you could argue you could just crop but if your like me that's the last thing you want to do, you want me be utilizing all them juicy MP's

Thanks, that GAS ship has sailed now. Bought a Z6 :LOL:

I tried a mates D810 and it’s a class act. It was tempting to look for one, but the weight and size of the Z won me over. Must admit though, the D850 would be more than tempting.

Decisions indeed mate! very true when we can travel again that D810 200-500mm combo as you say in the alps and similar settings maybe unmissable, really handy for them shots, hard to replace 500mm on 645z I mean you could argue you could just crop but if your like me that's the last thing you want to do, you want me be utilizing all them juicy MP's

300mm on 645z is 240mm on 35mm equivilent - maybe a little longer due to the differing aspect ratio's of the sensor...but nothing like 500mm. I think there's a some massive 400mm 645 prime but they are pretty rare.

If Nikon would pull their finger out and give us a tease of the D850 successor I might be more inclined to go one way or another. If it's a 60mp body - I would keep the two long lenses and buy it. VR and weather sealing of the 70-200 and 200-500 would make the body worth it. Particularly with distant landscapes you don't need to shoot stopped down so much as there's no foreground so diffraction isn't much of an issue - despite the fine sensor pixel pitch. The VR on these two lenses works really nicely and for grab shots it's a good feature.

If it's just not happening or they announce another 45mp camera I'd sell all the Nikon stuff tbh and go fully MF.

And aye...like you I only really crop to change aspect ratio's and to take a hair or two off not take big chunks off to replicate a longer FL.

Now that looks a piece of kit!!

Thank you, I can't wait to get it all set up and start my journey in to astrophotography. I just have to do a lot of Googling of How to Polar Align a EQ5 mount indoors. And it's raining and cloudy here now.

A circular polariser for my 28-70.

I’m intent on quality over the budget side of things (although I can’t imagine any 95mm filter thread will be cheap :D )

So it’s time to get researching...

A circular polariser for my 28-70.

I’m intent on quality over the budget side of things (although I can’t imagine any 95mm filter thread will be cheap :D )

So it’s time to get researching...

I have one here which I'm certain is 95mm than I haven't used for ages. It sits on the front of a Hitech square holder. I'll dig out some more info if you want?

Nothing special for me. Looking at a good sturdy tripod.

Very likely leaning towards Manfrotto 190XPRO4 but it kind of depends on price at the moment.

Nothing special for me. Looking at a good sturdy tripod.

Very likely leaning towards Manfrotto 190XPRO4 but it kind of depends on price at the moment.

This tripod is good. It'll take the mass of a 645z and 28-45 which is trust me, heavy. D810 and 70-200 2.8 and 200-500 5.6 are no issue for that tripod either. Unless you shoot the really big long primes, this tripod is great. Heavy enough for landscape duty not not so heavy you cannot carry it long distances.

Back