What you listening to RIGHT now?

Gary Numan - Intruder

Toe tappin' finger clickin' head nodding....

View: https://youtu.be/rg3uLVQA1yU

Similar to Stéphane Grappelli but this is another 'toe tappin' finger clicking tune...:) It's by Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs...composed by Earl Scruggs.It was played during the Bonnie and Clyde police chase in the film of that name...ie Bonnie and Clyde. It's called. 'Foggy Mountain Breakdown'.1949 original

Let it run to the second clip played by Roy Clark to see the fast fingerwork on the banjo.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Y3mnj-8lA

Last edited:
Stiff Little Fingers album "Inflammable Material" - a heartfelt teen indictment of the troubles and how both sides of the divide had their own interest at heart.

While washing up I had the TV on in the kitchen and Andrea Black was a guest on a news show and whilst sat on the sofa played "Strange Girl," just her voice and her guitar. I liked it and bought the album which is called Harvest Gold and it came today. I'd never heard of her but she seems to be talented and seems to have had quite a career.

TBH I prefer the version she played on TV with just her voice and the guitar but the album is IMO very good with a mix of styles to keep things interesting.

I had not heard of Rainbow before today.

Dave

Never heard of Ritchie Blackmore who played the famous opening chords of Smoke On The Water.
How about Ronnie James Dio who also provided vocals on Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell.
Then we have Cozy Powell, well known drummer who had a hit in the singles chart with Dance With The Devil.
If you like Rainbow then their album "Rising" is the one to get. The live double "Onstage" is also excellent .
I saw Rainbow back in the 70's at the Rainbow, Finsbury Park

Last edited:
I like Heavy Metal but have not looked further than Jimmy Hendrix, Robin Trower and Dire Straits. There are times when you need to be careful in your choice of Music. A friend and I once visited a different local pub which we knew had a reputation for violence. It was early and apart from us there was a crowd of "Rockers" near the bar. We went to the Juke Box to select a few tracks and before we had finished one of the Rockers (the smallest and least scary) asked us what we had selected. We said Elvis, Buddy Holly and Edie Cochran. That's fine "Big Jake" likes those. We spoke to the same guy later as we were clearly accepted and he explained that the Brewery insisted on range of genres no matter what the landlord says. So Big Jake is determined that only Rocker Music is played. He also said the previous week an unsuspecting customer selected Cliff Richard and had to leave the pub in an ambulance. ( I suspect that the latter statement was the message they wanted passed on rather than the the truth). Nevertheless, we left soon after and Big Jake saluted us.

Dave

I like Heavy Metal but have not looked further than Jimmy Hendrix, Robin Trower and Dire Straits. There are times when you need to be careful in your choice of Music. A friend and I once visited a different local pub which we knew had a reputation for violence. It was early and apart from us there was a crowd of "Rockers" near the bar. We went to the Juke Box to select a few tracks and before we had finished one of the Rockers (the smallest and least scary) asked us what we had selected. We said Elvis, Buddy Holly and Edie Cochran. That's fine "Big Jake" likes those. We spoke to the same guy later as we were clearly accepted and he explained that the Brewery insisted on range of genres no matter what the landlord says. So Big Jake is determined that only Rocker Music is played. He also said the previous week an unsuspecting customer selected Cliff Richard and had to leave the pub in an ambulance. ( I suspect that the latter statement was the message they wanted passed on rather than the the truth). Nevertheless, we left soon after and Big Jake saluted us.

Dave

I've been listening to and going to see heavy metal bands since the 70's.
Still my choice of music although I suppose its probably what they call hard rock as well.
Seen most of the well known bands and just bought a ticket to see Evanescence early next year in Germany.
Not enough hair left for headbanging, but can't imagine ever not listening to the sound of heavy rock.

You had a better experience than me then. The only concert I ever walked out of.

They couldn't be bothered to play and took the p*** out of the audience.
Was that the Machine Head era line up?
I saw them and it must have been on one of Mr Blackmore's better nights

Doctors waiting room covers of songs no one has ever heard before. They seem to be on a loop. Or maybe they just all sound the same. I feel like I've been here for many days and my morning shave has grown into a ZZ Top-like bit of stubble..

Delain who have now disbanded, saw their penultimate gig in London Feb 2020
Night of a named storm and the 140 mile return trip by train was not much fun
Shortly afterwards came down with what is now recognised as Covid 19
Still glad I went, real pity they are no longer playing together

Back