Which photography youtube channels do you subscribe to?

No-one has mentioned Jared

froknowsphoto :eek:

I tend to refer to Gavin Hoey (Gavtrain) and his Adorama videos as well. I've also seen him give live demonstrations at a few camera club meetings and they are always very popular. This has the added bonus of being able to ask direct questions and speak with him one-on-one because he is a very approachable chap.

Thomas Heaton and Adam from First Man Photography just uploaded new vlogs. Looking forward to watching those tonight.

Enjoy Thomas Heaton's video , has a real passion. I get the adverts seem a bit forced but he needs to make a living

Have watched a few Ben Horne videos, enjoyed them and found him very engaging but his photos weren't to my taste

Will have to try a few of the other suggestions on here as any tips are welcome

I tend to refer to Gavin Hoey (Gavtrain) and his Adorama videos as well. I've also seen him give live demonstrations at a few camera club meetings and they are always very popular. This has the added bonus of being able to ask direct questions and speak with him one-on-one because he is a very approachable chap.
His gunna be in the photography exhibition show this weekend

Matt granger and tony/Chelsea northrup for me. A constant stream of tips I find. I quite enjoy the tonyband Chelsea love show on a Thursday night where they critique photos people send in. Tony has normally got some technical advice, and Chelsea for with the colours and post processing. Quite an enjoyable hour normally!

I'm a big fan of Thomas Heaton and First Man Photography has really got me inspired to get out and about with my little RX100.

Another worth mentioning if I haven't missed it above already is Toma Bonciu... Find some of his videos really helpful/inspirational, but not all. There are some 'space-fillers', or so it seems to me anyway...

Thomas Heaton
Adoroma
Mango Street

matt granger.. but only when he had tina :p

Quite like the SLR lounge ones. But Alot/most are always pushing his workshop/video store. Shame.... but one of them may of accidentally landed on my computer last night free of charge.. not sure how ;)

Last edited:
I enjoy some of the above, such as Ted "WHAT'S UP GUYS" Forbes and Mike Browne and Thomas Heaton. A current favourite is David Thorpe who is brilliant on M 4/3 and is probably the best reviewer I have seen on youtube.

Matt Granger I find annoying and he infects a lot of his videos with muzak so I now stay clear. He is also rude - when I pointed out the muzak on a particular clip was distracting I received a very snotty reply.

As soon as I hear muzak on a video I close and look for something else. If somebody posts a video offering an educational slant in the photography field then why ruin that content with some pointless, dreary muzak?

Many of the above are very good and I stumbled upon this guy, Paul Johnson from Huddersfield and I find him very entertaining with a very funny dry northern humour. Great pictures and a good way of explaining his way of getting them.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCE97FSS3fIeu89P70bCk4HQ

Many thanks for this link. I have really enjoyed watching his videos and as I live just on the other side of the hill I can wholly connect with his outlook. And I like his images.

Nice one.

A few photographers I enjoy watching:
Nigel Danson
John Greenwood ( quite new and it would be nice to see him with a few more subs)
Adam Gibbs
Julian Baird
Mads Peter Iversen

I don't actually subscribe to anyone on YouTube but I quite enjoy Thomas Heaton's channel though landscapes aren't really my thing normally.

The one photographer I always check out when he has new content up is Steve Mattheis from Jackson in Wyoming - he goes out shooting wildlife and landscapes, usually, in Grand Teton National Park - I'm going there in June and it's interesting from that point of view, but he's also very watchable

Here's a link to Steve's videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDIr0UgrBJ3lGfs0eeKV6Tw/videos

Morten Hilmer and James Popsys are two I'm enjoying at the moment that haven't been mentioned.

Reactions: WWA
Morten Hilmer and James Popsys are two I'm enjoying at the moment that haven't been mentioned.

Morten videos are enjoyable and he certainly works hard to get his images. Will check out James Popsys, thanks for the tip

I gave up on Mike Browne after an exchange of emails in which he would not acknowledge that a change in background perspective was due to a change in viewpoint and not a change of lens.
Anyone who doesn't understand such basics has got to be highly suspect.

I also wouldn't follow Anthony Morganti after I saw one of his L[ghtroom "tutorials" in which the first thing he did was slam the "Highlights" and "Shadows" sliders to their extreme 100%, positions, which I thought was very bad advice

That's the problem with the internet, any idiot can set themselves up as an "Expert" and peddle nonsense to the masses.

On the other hand I like Gavin Hoey's "Adorama TV" series as practical and entertaining.

I quite like these guys:

Rob Sambles - UK sports

Steve Perry - US wildlife

Julian Elliot - UK/Europe scenery

Theoria Apophasis (AKA The Angry Photographer) - US Nikon and Fuji reviews and a good dose of common sense!

GC

I've mostly given up subscribing to reviewers like Jaren Polin, though they are good to watch sometimes.

Thomas Heaton, top vlogs, the quality of his videos has increased massively in recent months.

From watching Thomas Heaton I got into Brendan Van Son, a Canadian travel photographer who does about 5 vlogs a week. He's very open about his business and how he makes money.

Peter McKinnon, really high quality videos well produced, he covers video and photography but he's entertaining too.

Kim Grant, a Scottish photographer much more down to earth, with modest gear but a real enthusiast for the great outdoors and landscape photography.

I've mostly given up subscribing to reviewers like Jaren Polin, though they are good to watch sometimes.

Thomas Heaton, top vlogs, the quality of his videos has increased massively in recent months.

From watching Thomas Heaton I got into Brendan Van Son, a Canadian travel photographer who does about 5 vlogs a week. He's very open about his business and how he makes money.

Peter McKinnon, really high quality videos well produced, he covers video and photography but he's entertaining too.

Kim Grant, a Scottish photographer much more down to earth, with modest gear but a real enthusiast for the great outdoors and landscape photography.

I'm in one of Brendans Vlogs :D He's a really nice guy !

I'm subscribed to many of the above mentioned.

Some that aren't:

Evan Ranft - Atlanta based photographer, tends to to GoPro head filming when taking shots so you can see what he's looking at and his settings - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtDd1HxzPTmvdwHa-cylISg

Alyn Wallace - Recently subscribed to his channel as it's mostly Astrophotography, he does a series "Whats in the night sky" for every month although only Feb and March so far! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKxQ3Dx6K95hpLpdJjTRIlg/featured

Benjamin Jaworskyl - All round stuff really - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpiFxTH1J_12oc5eaNorYfg

Joe Allam - Tends to do a lot of Street photography, especially in Tokyo - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgaqvHn_b2LX3uHXl3C-xhA

And mine - I am documenting my TP 52 for this year and also other videos that may pop up throughout the year so feel free to subscribe to me also - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCactuh7JDzNXa_cioA3OM1Q

Probably because this thread is over a year old and Popsys didn't have a channel then.

Strange necrosis bump, but looking through the names that people are subbed to here, I can see why I disagree so much with many on here :D I wouldn't watch half of these if you paid me. I detest the likes of Jared Polin, the Northrups and Matt Granger comes across a bit creepy

I watch a lot but subscribed to

Joe Allam
James Popsys
Simon Booth

I browse through quite a few, some I subscribe, some I pass by after 5 minutes.
Karl Taylor has some good vids, loved his light painting tips.

+1 for Thomas Heaton, Kai, E6 Blogs

Like watching Peter Mcinnon who I haven't seen mentioned

I watch a Thomas Heaton, Andrew Marr or Mads Peter Iversen blog as soon as I see one has been released.

I catch up on anything from Jimmy McIntyre, Kevin Mullins, Nick Page. Paul Johnson, Sean Tucker, Simon Baxter or Steven Hanna each weekend. Sean Tucker is close to getting promoted to the top group.

At the more instructional end of the scale, I keep my eye open for e6 blogs, Mike Browne and Serge Ramelli

Two I've discovered more recently are Nigel Danson and Alyn Wallace - not sure if I will stick with them or not yet though.

I've watched quite a lot of photography channels recently and the one I've enjoyed the most, and I don't think he's been mentioned in this thread (probably because he only started it 6 months after this thread was created), is Gareth Danks. Covers landscapes and street mainly and does so in a really down to earth way.

Photographers:
Thomas Heaton
Jason Vong
North Borders
7th Era

Film Makers:
Casey Neistat
Hayden Pedersen

For me there are a few important ones that I always follow:

Thomas Heaton
James Popsys
Jared Polin (FroKnowsPhoto)
John Branch IV
Taylor Jackson
Michael Shainblum - (Surprised he hasn't been mentioned).

Probably too many.

I must admit my go to channel is always Camera Conspiracies. I'm not sure where it fits in really. It's not really a review channel, but it can be quite funny.
Like a lot of others I enjoy Thomas Heaton's stuff. He's got a nice easy style.
Tony and Chelsea Northrup occasionally. I can only stand so much of that though. It always reminds me of a tacky shopping channel. And of course there's the Toneh.
Gerald Undone does proper reviews, but he is a bit in your face.
One I do find quite soothing and informative is Mad Peter Iversen. Because he's Danish he tends to speak English at my sort of speed.
Another one I've discovered lately is Fototripper. And you could be forgiven for thinking that Vancouver Island is populated mostly by people from Yorkshire.
Kirk Williamson is another one I stumbled on. His style is probably best described as folksy. He likes his Fuji's though. So he's fine by me. :D
I keep thinking of more. Greg Carrick is an Australian photo journalist and I like his plain speaking style. Worth checking out.

Last edited:
Back