Which photography youtube channels do you subscribe to?

Thomas Heaton and Adam Gibbis are my all time favorite, they are passionate about their works and it inspires. I also enjoy DPS articles, their software reviews mostly and creative tips. Reddit photography subs too, but I'm too lazy to look through saved comments or posts once again :ROFLMAO:

Alec Soth

Sorry, I just remembered what was said about not posting links in your forst 3 posts when I joined.

My apologies.

I tend to look by subject but do watch some of those that are regularly mentioned.
I also watched one site where the photographer highlighted what kit she used.
It was very modest, only two lenses, including my walkabout 18-140mm Nikon...that cheered me up no end that a pro actually used my lens.
Next time I looked she had moved into the stratosphere and out of my world..........Such disappointment:mad::ROFLMAO:

I really enjoy the Henry Turner channel, could do with more like him maybe even other subjects not just landscape.

I often use youtube as part of research or enquiry, but do not follow any one.

I search for the particular subject I am interested in at the time, if the first part of the video is telling me to subscribe, I immediately move on (after disliking).
If a video seems relevant and interesting, and factually presented, I download it to watch later.
If it is genuinely useful and no hint of click bait, I go back and give it a like.

Most of what I like is from UK based authors.

Already mentioned:- https://www.youtube.com/c/PhotographyOnline
After 60+ years of using a camera it takes me back to all the many things I have forgotten. Presented in a simple practical way. I find most 'Pro Photographers' too black and white and nothing in between.

Last edited:
Don’t think I’ve seen Gary Gough mentioned in this thread. A mix of Heaton-esque out and about with tutorial.

I do like Gary Gough as his theme for the last few years is Fine Art, plus he explains his technique very well, and he gear is not current and is not all about massive high pixel cameras !

I definitely enjoy Mads Peter Iverson's stuff on YouTube but I find many of the big YouTube channels to be overly samey. Middle aged British guys who you'd avoid at family barbecues, doing landscapes with occasional folk guitar/breathy female vocalist drone shot interludes.

For such a wide ranging hobby, there isn't a lot of diversity in the channels that get pushed in terms of style and overall presentation. Has anyone got anything a bit leftfield to recommend?

I only subscribe to DP Review, because it can be good double act entertainment. Which is what 99.999999% of photography channels are - entertainment. Others I dip into more in hope than expectation.

Ted Forbes has his moments but not as many as he used to having gone v. commercial, Alex Kilbee likewise. It's difficult to keep an educational channel like those going and monetise it. Much easier to 'review' new gear.

I occasionally watch Thomas Heaton to marvel at his wonderful landscape photographs, and Sean Tucker when I want to a load of pretentious self importance. Two channels I would recommend all beginners stay away from.

That lot on Skye did a rather good p*** take on photography vlogs the other week - the best thing they've done by far. Well worth a watch. Unless you're Thomas Heaton!

I definitely enjoy Mads Peter Iverson's stuff on YouTube but I find many of the big YouTube channels to be overly samey. Middle aged British guys who you'd avoid at family barbecues, doing landscapes with occasional folk guitar/breathy female vocalist drone shot interludes.

For such a wide ranging hobby, there isn't a lot of diversity in the channels that get pushed in terms of style and overall presentation. Has anyone got anything a bit leftfield to recommend?

I do like to what Gavin Hardcastle aka fototrpper as his humor and gags are pretty funny, and manni ortiz for his fashion / portrait work which achieveable and do-able for us mortals !

Gary Gough is one of the few that does not bang on about gear and need for special tripods, high MP count camera and lenses. As a lot of YouTuber togs do get free gear to use for a period of time ie on 'Loan'
Well I would like canon to loan my an R5 with RF 100-500L please ! !

Irene Rudnyk is another who has clawed her way up from mortal to demi god YouTuber Tog / Creator. As she came in for a lot of criticism when she started out as just a uni grad and no photography skill, just class base work.
Now look at her as she is Canon Ambassador and get invited to launch days of which I would love to be invited to, come on canon where was my invite for the R7 ! lol

look at Gavin Hardcastle aka fototrpper, manni ortiz, Andrew Lanxon photography

I'm subscribed to Keith Cooper (Northlight-Images) Architectural photographer but most of his YouTube content is on printing.

I do like to what Gavin Hardcastle aka fototrpper as his humor and gags are pretty funny, and manni ortiz for his fashion / portrait work which achieveable and do-able for us mortals !

Gary Gough is one of the few that does not bang on about gear and need for special tripods, high MP count camera and lenses. As a lot of YouTuber togs do get free gear to use for a period of time ie on 'Loan'
Well I would like canon to loan my an R5 with RF 100-500L please ! !

Irene Rudnyk is another who has clawed her way up from mortal to demi god YouTuber Tog / Creator. As she came in for a lot of criticism when she started out as just a uni grad and no photography skill, just class base work.
Now look at her as she is Canon Ambassador and get invited to launch days of which I would love to be invited to, come on canon where was my invite for the R7 ! lol
I find Fototripper a bit cringeworthy, but mostly because his humour doesn't fit with me.
I don't mind Gary Gough, but I wouldn't go looking for his content.
Has anyone mentioned Brian Lackey? Down to earth American landscape/travel photography. Decent production, good images and not commercial at all.
What about Stuart McMillan? Scottish youtuber, another down to earth guy, not commercial.

There is it seems a lot of photography youtubers, you'd think enough for there to be something for everyone, but I think that 80% of them are white males. Little representation of other ethnicities or women.

As for getting gear on a loan, Canon will loan you cameras and lenses for free if you go through their Test Drive site. Fuji have something similar.

I used to subscribe to a lot of them. Some I've unsubscribed, through no fault of their own. Others I'm still subscribed too, but don't always watch. It might just be my photographic tastes changing, but I think I do detect a cooling off in the photography boom. I wonder if others have noticed it too?

There is it seems a lot of photography youtubers, you'd think enough for there to be something for everyone, but I think that 80% of them are white males. Little representation of other ethnicities or women.

I don't think that's entirely fair. I can think of several women photographers off the top of my head. Courtney Victoria, Lynne Luxon Jones, Lisa Frost. There are quite a few of other ethnicities as well if you look for them. Ribsy, springs to mind.

try Courtney Victoria. Only about 10 mins and she can sometimes sound like she’s reading off a script but pretty good. Uses a D750 so isn’t pushing the latest and greatest kit.

I have watched her videos and she does some funny dance moments and she like her walking boots....

I tend to avoid the pure gear channels, used to love watching them but lost interest pretty quickly.

In no particular order:

Alec Soth (honestly one of the best things to come out of lockdown)
T.Hopper (artist profiles/essays)
Bryan Birks (portraits of strangers and their cars, some photobook stuff, really interesting to see how far he has developed and improved over the past two years)
Mike Gray (LA based fine art)
Nick Carver (California based analog photographer that often documents his planning process behind his urban landscapes)
MoMa's channel (Modern art, lots of inspiration and there are photographer/filmmaker talks in there)
Louisiana Channel (similar to MoMa)
Mack Books
Aperture Foundation
Yale Photo

Recommendations for Street photographers to follow on't Tube, please. Preferably UK-based so I can relate to the locations.

I don't think there's a lot in terms of UK Street Photographers on YouTube that I'd recommend... I mean, I am watching less and less youtube so I'm sure I've missed a lot. Also, location shouldn't matter in terms of it being relatable, unless you intend on going out and copying their locations, etc..

Gareth Danks has a street photography on his channel and well worth checking out - he normally explains his process and what he's doing.. and that helps. Particularly good if starting out

About Photography - not UK based - but lots of image critique, chat and guest critque

Framelines - by two UK based street photographers - kit, book reviews - not so much POVs - but that's not a bad thing!

Street Snappers - UK based.. chat/tips on various topics

Forest Walker is worth checking out - not UK based, but it shouldn't matter

Like wise Dante Sisofo- he's US based and brilliant- I am a big fan of his work!

I don't think there's a lot in terms of UK Street Photographers on YouTube that I'd recommend... I mean, I am watching less and less youtube so I'm sure I've missed a lot. Also, location shouldn't matter in terms of it being relatable, unless you intend on going out and copying their locations, etc..

Street Snappers - UK based.. chat/tips on various topics

Thanks very much Ben :)

I found Morten Hilmer to be brilliant, you see how passionate he is when it comes to wildlife.

Andrew Lanxon has well edited videos and does more landscape and macro.

Thomas Shahan is literally the Bob Ross of macro, shame he hasn't posted since his last video 11 months ago.

AOWS & Teo Crawford I found great because they're a little different from the normal videos and lastly GrainCheck (for those that love film) is great because she makes good use of story telling and narration.

Last edited:
There seem to be a lot more photo channels on Youtube today compared to even three or four years ago.

I used to like Fro Knows Photo when he did guides to photography and demos of cameras but now he seems to only talk about industry news.

Northrops' channel is good, and I like the "$500 Challenge", kind of reminds me of old Top Gear, but for photography.

Other than that, I am still exploring the newer ones.

I have watched a lot of YouTube as that is my learning centre.

Fro Knows Photo was pretty good and funny channel to watch as I liked the sniff test ! ! lol

Northrops' , Chelsea is very pleasing to watch though Tony I sense element of condescending / patronizing as I believe he was from well off middle class family, was brain child at early age

I do like Gavin hardcastle aka fototripper as his gags IMO are pretty funny.

Back