Your photography pet hates

Madhouseof5 said:
People who ask me what camera I have because "it takes nice pictures". Like the camera does all the work

+1

I usually reply with "oh it's only a little 500D but I make it work hard"

Lomographer hipsters, lomo used to be fun, now its just a marketing machine.

People on forums who think kai from digitalrev is the definitive full stop when it comes to everything, and quote him constantly.

People who say "yeahhh, well its not really a street photograph"

Photographers with chronic kit snobbery.

People on forums that just share links because either they can't be arsed or don't have the knowledge to say anything interesting themselves.

Weekend warriors with no intention of building a business but just supplementing their main job with a few weddings or portraits on the weekend, undercutting everything just for the cash (in hand!) and in the process, dumbing down photography for the average Joe by churning out dross.

People who think film is dead

People who put their name on an image, that isn't a watermark but some free calligraphy font stamped in the bottom left/right corner as a chest expanding exercise

People who ask me what camera I have because "it takes nice pictures". Like the camera does all the work

I get that a lot from my family when looking at the kids photos!

The retort I heard the other day was "That was a delicious meal, what oven have you got?":LOL:

Van Gogh must have had a cracking paint brush!

Although, playing devil's advocate for a second, there is sort of a valid point here. If good cameras weren't capable of producing better results than say a camera phone, then we wouldn't all be trudging around with big DSLR around our necks. I appreciate that a good camera doesn't make a good photo but it certainly can improve a photo.

My pet hate is people who come up to me when I'm shooting with a camera on a tripod and ask "what are you doing?" Lets be honest it's fairly obvious really.

That has happened on the odd occasion with me too. Not necessarily a pet hate exactly, but I've even been told by a passer-by "Oh, are you using a film camera?", after watching me loading up a fresh film.

I just hate people who are out there to prove something,

I love taking photos, I get paid to take photos BUT my friend also likes beer and works in a pub.. He's not all in peoples faces about what he does so I don't see why a select few photographers have to make it obvious to everyone what they do.

I know someone who constantly goes on about people making these comments

HOWEVER

To stir the hornets nest, whilst I agree that the pictures would be nothing without decent knowledge behind the camera. That with a point and shoot it is possible to get fantastic photographs, I do also believe that the better the camera the more flexibility and reconfigurability you get which does help in achieving fantastic photo sometimes that little bit easier. Even if you put
it down to something like the intelligence in focusing and aperture selection or even that fact that my point and shoot doesn't have the ability to slow the shutter past 2 or 4 seconds. Yes that's because it's old and should I buy a more modern camera it probably can do longer exposures, but there are certain features that just aren't quite up to scratch then with a more expensive camera, whether that be another point and shoot or a SLR of whatever type.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the comments, I do agree but I also feel that you can't say everything is down to the person and the camera has NOTHING to do with the outcome. It plays it's part...

Please don't hate me :bonk:

Sir SR said:
I get that a lot from my family when looking at the kids photos!

The retort I heard the other day was "That was a delicious meal, what oven have you got?":LOL:
People who say "i get asked what camera i have cos it takes nice pictures" if you know your working for the shot (not really work is it) and someone says that to you, be gracious and not an arse about it. Its obvious they don't understand.

People who say 'tog' instead of photographer. Tog is for quilts.

People who say 'glass' instead of lens.

365, 52 and 12 photo 'challenges'. If you have to 'challenge' yourself to take a photo a day, never mind one a month, then maybe you need to find another hobby. You know, like one you actually enjoy and are willing to take part in without forcing yourself.

Watermarks.

brianwar said:

365, 52 and 12 photo 'challenges'. If you have to 'challenge' yourself to take a photo a day, never mind one a month, then maybe you need to find another hobby. You know, like one you actually enjoy and are willing to take part in without forcing yourself.

Watermarks.
+1

Watermarks.

Haha, I've never understood why you need to force yourself to take a photo.. Go take photo that you want to take when the time comes... if you love it so much it'll be everyday, challenge or not!

If the person is happy with their image then that's fine with me. I dunno how many times I've seen people post here and the only critique they get is "horizon is not straight".

Then maybe that's all that's wrong with the image :thinking:

My pet hate is people who come up to me when I'm shooting with a camera on a tripod and ask "what are you doing?" Lets be honest it's fairly obvious really.

"I'm running a social experiment on levels of stupidity in the local environment. Have you time for a couple of questions?"

:LOL::LOL:

If the person is happy with their image then that's fine with me. I dunno how many times I've seen people post here and the only critique they get is "horizon is not straight".

agree that if they are happy with it, then fair enough. but if people are asking for comments/critique/feedback, then someone pointing out that the horizon isn't straight is surely what the OP asked for?

If they then come back and say "that is intended" or "that is how I like it", fair enough, but if they asked then they can't really complain surely??

Hmmmmmmmm I don't agree on the 365 / 52 / 12 thing.

I'm doing a 52 this year and it is a challenge for me and many others.

My thought is that it's a structured way to help me improve and shoot pictures I normally wouldn't think of.
It makes me think more creatively, which some people need.

Additionally, doing it with a group of others doing the same thing is good because it's like a sub group of the site that are all working toward the same goal while supporting and critiquing each others shots.

I take the Lebowski angle on this one and just say "well i can see youre not a golfer"

People on forums who think kai from digitalrev is the definitive full stop when it comes to everything, and quote him constantly.

Is Kai the new Ken, then?

"How many Mega Pixels is your camera..."

Have to agree with that one! Take my camera to work on the odd occasion for product shots and shots of vans that we are selling etc... Every time I get asked how many pixels is that? Always causes confusion when I say 12 as they then comment on how their camera has so many billion :)

Other one is people who upload every photo from a shoot, mostly wonky and mostly all the same... If they had only uploaded about 10% of the total and took 15 mins straightening etc the set would look so much better and I wouldn't have lost interest half way through the set.

Other one is people who upload every photo from a shoot, mostly wonky and mostly all the same... If they had only uploaded about 10% of the total and took 15 mins straightening etc the set would look so much better and I wouldn't have lost interest half way through the set.

This, and five editions of a similar mediocre image, one in mono, one in selective colour, one in sepia, one in eye-searing oversaturated colours and one in some weird blue tone, as if that somehow makes the shot better.

Also overdone HDR, the kind that makes your eyes bleed. I have nothing against HDR if it is used to recreate a shot that your eyes have seen but which the camera can't capture, it is the world's end dark skies and scarily saturated landscapes that offend.

Other than that I am pretty easy going.

HDR made from one shot/rawfile. It's NOT HDR, It's the same crummy Low dynamic range with blown out highlights but now with added noise and cartoon colour.

Nothing. I love everybody and everything.

*knits another rainbow*

:)

Last edited:
My pet hate is when other photographers follow me around taking the same shot and then asking me how and why I have all this equipment when they have a bridge camera.

Another one for the mega pixels.

My sister-in-law is convinced her point and shoot is going to get her the best photos because its got 16 mega pixels, it might do, if she knew it had a setting other than auto!

Another one for the mega pixels.

My sister-in-law is convinced her point and shoot is going to get her the best photos because its got 16 mega pixels, it might do, if she knew it had a setting other than auto!

Surely you realise more............must mean better:LOL:

nothing to do with photography winds me up. Why would it? It's a hobby to me, nothing to get your knickers in a twist over :geek:

...about me...lens lust...I know it's bad and I shouldn't do it but there's always another one out there.

....about others....the way sales staff in shops think that they know more than you about every single aspect of gear, taking pics and everything else.

Speaking of which, I'm noticing a growing trend for quoting the following website in order to determine which camera is 'best'. In my opinion, it churns out largely garbage.

http://snapsort.com/compare

I actually quite like this site :p. Not for the "which is best" comparison it gives but it is useful to have the raw camera specification data side by side to make your own judgement/comparison.

Not a fan of people who want to clone out a load of stuff from a photo for it to be perfect.

So what if there's some leaf by the car. Just doesnt bother me. I don't mind PP, as its sometimes needed but the image is still the same content.

But other than that Ive tried to take in comment on other peoples photos as well as my own, so I can continue learning

The 'may way or the high way' attitude some people have when it comes to gear/angles/perspective - however that is not just one for photographers :D (I think parenting forums are the worst for this :LOL: )

agree that if they are happy with it, then fair enough. but if people are asking for comments/critique/feedback, then someone pointing out that the horizon isn't straight is surely what the OP asked for?

If they then come back and say "that is intended" or "that is how I like it", fair enough, but if they asked then they can't really complain surely??

Thing is, if you can see the horizon isn't level, then so can we all. It's not critique at all. It's stating the obvious.

Back