weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

St-ephen said:
Cracking shot! What's it like being married to Wayne Rooney? :)
:LOL:I really need to post a photo of my hubby to show what a thick head of hair he has (apart from two small areas on his forehead that are slowly shrinking) This was taken down his parting, but still quite thick there!

Thanks DK and Robert.

I'll try not to take the most disgusting shot for week 8! Roll on the new theme:)

Great level of detail in the root shot Marsha.
Its quite a reaction you've got from this photograph, or should I say the subject matter. Good work though (y) Iain

I hope you've taken all those sweeties and are feeling better now.

Fear of change. A well thought out idea and the composition and nice colours made a great photo.

SighCongratulations on getting your daughter to stay still long enough. A lovely photo which portrayed the brief well.

SweetI couldn't decide which of the 2 I liked best. Both were very good, but in the end the picture of your gorgeous little boy won.

Thanks Barbara I am better now.

For my sigh shot she leaned back to defy me, I actually asked her to stand up and stand still for a nano-second! I nearly deleted it as I thought it was over exposed and OOF! Thankfully I've learnt that the LCD is really hard to see in bright daylight so I leave everything on until I get home!

Industry – I like #1. Most photos would struggle with so many power lines across the foreground but in this case it works

Root – Well done for hand holding so close and getting some focus

Thanks Peter, those power lines proved a nightmare to get straight in the photo merge! I think they actually led out of the power station so really part of power the industry!

Nick I can assure you my handmade shots are much less vomit inducing! I'll post them later tonight.

Ok, so these are hopefully less vomit inducing :D I realise the first one seems more industry!!

I was visiting family this weekend and we visited my uncle in law in his garage, I asked if he had any 'hand made' bits and bobs and he produced a small metal bush that he made on his lathe. He wasn't content with that, he set the lathe up with another one attached and turned his portable lighting on so it was like a mini studio. I was only going to do this colour shot, but they don't stand out too well:

F4, 1/50sec (hand held) ISO800, 100mm macro, no flash.

The metal bush is centre right sat on the metal, and you can just see the other one turning in the background.

Here they are converted to B&W and selectively coloured:

The more I look at this the more I prefer it as they stand out better.

Then I got home and my mother in law had been digging around in clutterville and found a little make your own doll kit that was bought for my daughter when she was two! It's meant for an eight year old! Obviously my now 3 year old demanded it and watched intently as Nan Nan struggled through the instructions!

F4, 1/160sec, ISO100, 102mm, no flash.

Sorry it's my kids again, but I can't help it and I like the candid shot! I didn't like the window in the back ground so I reduced the saturation on that part to limit the disctraction of the colours, but I couldn't crop it out and my PP skills are such that I don't know the best way to clean it up without it looking false!

All comments welcome.

Last edited:
I like the Handmade entry I dont find the windows to distracting as my eyes are drawn to what your daughter is looking at as she seems so interested. Also like your entry for SIGH.

Ok, so these are hopefully less vomit inducing :D

Ok i'll give you that one lol. I do like your 2nd image with the selective colouring which I think works very well. Your mother in law and daughter is a really nice picture too and definitely one to cherish.

The selective colour in number 2 works well, but they don't really say handmade to me. Number 3 does though, and is a lovely shot :)

The selective colour lathe shot for me Marsha....definetly has more impact!

However I feel the shot of your daughter and Nan fits the theme of homemade better....The window being no distraction whatsoever!

Your shots are bang on theme and think the selective colouring with the lathe works well. Love the concentration of your daughter watching nan.(y)

yep I like the selective colour and nan nan :)

I'm not usually a fan of selective colouring, but that lathe shot is a belter. Your daughter and MIL though is the one for me. A really nice capture.

alsjazzera said:
I like the Handmade entry I dont find the windows to distracting as my eyes are drawn to what your daughter is looking at as she seems so interested. Also like your entry for SIGH.
Thanks Allan. Welcome to TP and the crazy world of the 52, it has been very educational in a very short time.

Blank_Canvas said:
Your mother in law and daughter is a really nice picture too and definitely one to cherish.
Manc Man said:
think my fav has to be number 3.
Thank you Nick and Darren, it will be in my favourites selection when I finally sort a load out!

Southdowns said:
The selective colour in number 2 works well, but they don't really say handmade to me.
I think it would have worked better if you could see someone actually working the lathe, but it was tucked in the corner and I wouldn't have been able to get a clear shot!

Asha said:
The window being no distraction whatsoever!
My PP has clearly worked to tone down the window:)

fazer said:
Love the concentration of your daughter watching nan.(y)
Thanks John, she got bored after about 10 minutes so we enjoyed the quiet concentration while it lasted!!

St-ephen said:
I'm not usually a fan of selective colouring, but that lathe shot is a belter.
Cheers, I think you can go too far with this technique but sometimes a little makes a big impact!

Thanks also to Paul and Summer, my MIL and daughter shot is clearly the winner this week for me(y)

Hi Marsha, Liking your two handmades. The selective colour one doesn't really do it for me. I prefer #1. Maybe an alternative would have been to just de-saturate a bit the background instead of going all the way to B&W.
The shot of your daughter is lovely (again) maybe a square(er) crop would work? - cropping off the legs at the bottom of the frame?? That is how the pic appears on my netbook and it looks good.

I think the selective colouring works and its spot on theme just wondered if you could have got a hand in there somewhere,

As for the 3rd picture just love the concentration on the job at hand by your Nan and the look on your daughter is superb, the picture just grabs you and didn’t even notice the background

Hi Marsha

great shots for Handmade.....the SC'd one has it for me....focus right on the bits that are handmade & having a Dad who has a lathe I can relate to the theme connection ...great shot :clap:

#3 definitely takes it, a lovely shot to be treasured :)

Thanks Michael and Trevor.

mtjhome said:
Hi Marsha, Liking your two handmades. The selective colour one doesn't really do it for me. I prefer #1. Maybe an alternative would have been to just de-saturate a bit the background instead of going all the way to B&W.
Mmm, that's what I did to the window in my other handmade! I might have another tinker with it at some point.

Thanks Trevor.

blondie606 said:
great shots for Handmade.....the SC'd one has it for me....focus right on the bits that are handmade & having a Dad who has a lathe I can relate to the theme connection ...great shot :clap:

Cheers Lynne. It would appear the skill of using a lathe is on the decline, apparently they don't even teach kids about them any more let alone let them use them in school!

superpippo said:
Hi Marsha
#1 and#2 don't really fit the bill for me as the items seem more machine made than handmade. However #3 is excellent. spot on theme, crystal clear, loads of concentration form both - really lovely pic.
I guess the machine spins it, while hands work it?

Thanks for all the kind words yet again(y)

Hi Marsha, for me #3 handmade is the winner. Such a lovely shot, colours, dof, lighting spot on, the window certainly isn't a distraction. When I look at that shot I'm immediately drawn to the concentration on both your daughter's face and nan nan's face, hence why the window doesn't cause a problem. Someone mentioned the crop at the bottom? For me the crop on this shot works absolutely perfect. Love it and for me a classic example of a perfect family candid (y)

Last edited:
Hi Marsha, looks like someone's been busy :)

For the theme I think I prefer #3, agree 100% with Simon's comments above. This is perfect for the theme and the family album :)

Think the other two say industry a bit more than handmade but having spent my time on lathes I can see where you're coming from. That selective colouring relly works a treat.

Shame that kids today aren't being shown the skills of using lathes and mills anymore, it is a real skill and I loved my time working in that industry, but as it all went CNC I became bored of being a machine operator and that when I decided to study aircraft engineering. I have always said one day I will have a large garage and have a proper workshop at home.

snorton said:
Hi Marsha, for me #3 handmade is the winner. Such a lovely shot, colours, dof, lighting spot on, the window certainly isn't a distraction. When I look at that shot I'm immediately drawn to the concentration on both your daughter's face and nan nan's face, hence why the window doesn't cause a problem. Someone mentioned the crop at the bottom? For me the crop on this shot works absolutely perfect. Love it and for me a classic example of a perfect family candid (y)

Awwww fanks Simon:)

Rolyratman said:
Think the other two say industry a bit more than handmade but having spent my time on lathes I can see where you're coming from. That selective colouring relly works a treat.

Yeh I knew that when I took them, maybe I'll sneak them back in as my industry shot;-)

Thank you both for the lovely comments, let's see what tomorrow brings?

Hi, handmade 3 is fantastic. The concentration on your daughter's face is great. Your daughter and mum's arms really lead the eye to the toy. Best of all for me, thought, are the eyes on your daughter's top :D

Cheers.

Another vote for #3 here Marsha(y)
The look of concentration on both faces is great. Window? What window?

I do like #1 & #2 as well though, with the selective colour one just pipping the full colour.

I like number 2, but number three has done it for me. Something special there for the future too to look back on.

Loving the selective colour shot on industry, homemade bang on theme and a lovely photo.

Matt

This idea leapt into my head last night, I know it's not the most original as it's coins but again it was more about technique as I wanted to give this light painting lark a go! Obviously choosing glass bottles probably isn't the best subject so the light streaks were toned down in PP! All critique welcome as this is a totally new area to me!

I'm guessing no one else will have hoarded this much in coins! My two Vodka bottles are also quite unique, things you collect on hockey tour in the military!

Money jars.

F16, ISO 800, 21mm 9sec exposure in bulb. I used my AA maglite to light around the bottles trying to avoid the back ground purple throw hanging behind.

In PP I had to tweak some of the coins that were blown and do some level tweaks to get the background black. Most of it was actually ok, just some purple sneaked in between the bottles. Some specks also needed cloning out. I then moved the bottles down (what a faf) as there seemed to be too much space at the bottom making them a bit central!

In case any eagle eyes spot little white flecks on the bigger bottle it's paint and I decided to leave them in, along with the aged looking label!

So I've been collecting coppers in the big bottle for over 21 years! The idea being I'll cash it in when it's full:nuts:

Last edited:
Back