weekly Lizzy23's 52 thats me i made it 1/2 way, won't get to the end

Hi, Liz, apologies for missing a few...(y)

Vice...indeed. I'm not a real ale drinker but I've always liked real ale glasses, much better than the Cobra glasses I drink from...

Entrance, I've photographed a few of these and really enjoy it. There is something special about them.

It's your second photograph in post 289 for me. Nice lead in and I'm liking the water. For me, thought, I really like the soft reflections from the trees. Sky wasn't doing you any favours.

Soft #1 is a very sweet photograph. Your nieces face looks very comforted. Just the over exposed side of her face and hair is an issue. I see where you were going with the feet, but cropped toes and over exposed cushion detract.

Cheers.

Hi Liz. I really like number 1, especially after the edit. I think the fact that the focus is on the teddy/adult is perfect, and the blown hair and side of the face add a candid look I really like.

You've managed to do soft focus, which would be obvious for this week, without it being a cliche!

The feet, nice shot, but I don't think you've captured the softness as much as you'd hoped. Possibly the conversion has emphasised the skin texture too much?

(y) Definitely better in my opinion.

Thanks

Hi Liz, I met up with Nick this week to give him a few pointers in Lightroom / photoshop. Perhaps we could all meet up again at some point next te I am in Derbyshire?

I like the canal shots (& even your vice). As for critique, perhaps some are a bit busy, but that's working with the public for you - always getting in the way!

Thankyou would love to at some point, Derbyshires not that far away

Hi Liz,

I have had a look at this for you and can't improve on the water although I have tried. Given that there is a brownish hue I was thinking this image may lend itself to a sepia effect. Now I don't normally like the sepia effect as the world wen't 'sepia mad' back in the 80s and there was a complete overkill of images everywhere you looked including modern images that didn't work.

However, I do think the old lock-keepers hot gate is a subject that works well in sepia and I have also cropped the shot a bit to reduce the water. I hope you like it, but like all images it's very subjective, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that...

If you want me to take it down I will, It is also published on my Flicr account (but credited to you) to enable me to replicate it on here.

7056449513_e53db5ec72_b.jpg

Nick

Nick, never thought to do it Sepia, as you said not something thats done

I love the 1st shot, especially after you cloned out the hand/ring. I think the focus on the teddy is just right as it means the lil girl is oof and therefore softer which adds to the theme.

now the feet - I have to say (and I will try not to be rude!) that this shot needs lots 'more'. Perhaps the crop is too tight? Maybe seeing all of the feet would have been better. As they are they look a bit 'disembodied' with no point of reference - if that makes sense? And I think this one should be in colour :)

so, def. no. 1 for me which I can't fault :clap:

Not rude at all just honest, i do have a wider perspective in colour will have a look at uploading

Hi, Liz, apologies for missing a few...(y)

Vice...indeed. I'm not a real ale drinker but I've always liked real ale glasses, much better than the Cobra glasses I drink from...

Entrance, I've photographed a few of these and really enjoy it. There is something special about them.

It's your second photograph in post 289 for me. Nice lead in and I'm liking the water. For me, thought, I really like the soft reflections from the trees. Sky wasn't doing you any favours.

Soft #1 is a very sweet photograph. Your nieces face looks very comforted. Just the over exposed side of her face and hair is an issue. I see where you were going with the feet, but cropped toes and over exposed cushion detract.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Hi Liz. I really like number 1, especially after the edit. I think the fact that the focus is on the teddy/adult is perfect, and the blown hair and side of the face add a candid look I really like.

You've managed to do soft focus, which would be obvious for this week, without it being a cliche!

The feet, nice shot, but I don't think you've captured the softness as much as you'd hoped. Possibly the conversion has emphasised the skin texture too much?

Thanks you're right, i didn't quiet get what i was after, may have another look at the others and see if theres something else there

I like photograph number 1 for soft the soft teddy and focus on the distant child is wonderful.

the edit of the first is a very good shot for Soft Liz, excellent.

Entrance - #2 of the first bunch for me. Works well, the sepia take on it is interesting. Always worth keeping this alternatives in mind for some shots that do not work. B&W is my saviour sometimes!! Looks a lovely spot for togging. The long exposure works well for the water.

Soft - got to be #1, really nice picture and says it all. Nice capture of a moment.

Hi Liz

not a people portrait kinda person so I find it difficult to crit this type of image....however I do like the focus on the soft toy with the child being ever so slightly oof & B&W works well (y)

Of your images for Entrance....your original B&W wins for me....lovely sosft water & entrance to the lock (y) Quite like the sepia version Nick posted up as well....suits the image & gives a lovely olde worlde feeling (y)

Hi Liz, the 2nd version of number 1 for me, it's a cracking picture which doesn't need to better technically. It tells a story and is very fitting for the theme. The 2nd one I am not to keen on the composition, I would be tempted to concentrate on a single foot.

the edit of the first is a very good shot for Soft Liz, excellent.

Entrance - #2 of the first bunch for me. Works well, the sepia take on it is interesting. Always worth keeping this alternatives in mind for some shots that do not work. B&W is my saviour sometimes!! Looks a lovely spot for togging. The long exposure works well for the water.

Soft - got to be #1, really nice picture and says it all. Nice capture of a moment.

Hi Liz

not a people portrait kinda person so I find it difficult to crit this type of image....however I do like the focus on the soft toy with the child being ever so slightly oof & B&W works well (y)

Of your images for Entrance....your original B&W wins for me....lovely sosft water & entrance to the lock (y) Quite like the sepia version Nick posted up as well....suits the image & gives a lovely olde worlde feeling (y)

Thanks all, i was really pleased with it, and it does work better with the edit, just goes to show though, sometimes good shots happen completely by accident

Liz I really like number one for soft, it's definitely one to frame:clap: The cropped version is much better.

lizzy23 said:
Thanks all, i was really pleased with it, and it does work better with the edit, just goes to show though, sometimes good shots happen completely by accident

I'd say most of my 'good' shots happen this way!

I think i knew what to post for this as soon as it went up :):):):) Those of you that know me, know that i'm the crazy dog lady, and have been doing my bit for springer rescue for the last 6 years or so, its inevitable that when you do things like this you end up with the ones that are not easy to rehome for whatever reason and need a lot more work to turn them into nice dogs, this is why we have ended up with 5 :LOL::LOL::LOL: so for Pride i would like to share with you Millie and Molly two dogs that came to me 6 and 5 years ago respectively, both let down by humans and both broken in very different ways and both that Nev and i can now take a great deal of pride in because they are both happy well (nearly) adjusted girls:D:D:D To be honest don't care which one comes out on top this week

Millie

_MG_2379 by jalizcazan, on Flickr

Molly

_MG_2398 by jalizcazan, on Flickr

Certainly on theme with your explanation (y)

I like your use of depth of field in both shots as it really concentrates the eyes on the dogs themselves by throwing the background out of focus.

The second shot is the better one in my opinion as it's better framed and you have the dog making eye contact with you, the first one has too much dead space around it.

I suspect looking at the lighting and the short shadows that you took these sometime about midday? I would say that you could have gotten away with a faster shutter speed too as they both look overexposed on my monitor.

Pride
2 very good shots, a very fitting insight in to the theme.
I admire people like yourself that give up time to help animals that people have mis treated.

Thanks, just something i fell into

Certainly on theme with your explanation (y)

I like your use of depth of field in both shots as it really concentrates the eyes on the dogs themselves by throwing the background out of focus.

The second shot is the better one in my opinion as it's better framed and you have the dog making eye contact with you, the first one has too much dead space around it.

I suspect looking at the lighting and the short shadows that you took these sometime about midday? I would say that you could have gotten away with a faster shutter speed too as they both look overexposed on my monitor.

Thanks very much, interesting about the exposure as this was before 10am this morning, think i may need to get my monitor calibrated

Before 10am? Blimey the sun must get higher earlier up north, or I've not noticed it so much recently. I'll blame me :bang:

You may not need to get your monitor calibrated, mine isn't :cool: so it'd be interesting to see what everyone else thinks :thinking:

Gorgeous doggies, excellent interpretation of the theme and for me great pictures. You should be very proud and beem with pride. What you do for the rescue is fab. Both lovely shots but I do like Mollys face :D

Was very sunny this morning :)

Hi Liz

Soft - The first one for me definitely, the cropped version sure takes away the only 2 distractions - Super shot

Pride - The first Pride shot I have seen... a great take on the theme, you sure should be :)

Out of the 2 shots, I prefer the 2nd shot, I wonder how it would look with the exposure dropped back a bit to help the detail in the highlights to recover a bit - if that makes sense... I know what I mean :D

Both wonderful looking dogs (y)

Hi Liz

Soft - The first one for me definitely, the cropped version sure takes away the only 2 distractions - Super shot

Pride - The first Pride shot I have seen... a great take on the theme, you sure should be :)

Out of the 2 shots, I prefer the 2nd shot, I wonder how it would look with the exposure dropped back a bit to help the detail in the highlights to recover a bit - if that makes sense... I know what I mean :D

Both wonderful looking dogs (y)

Thanks DK will try that when i get back on the Big PC

Gorgeous doggies, excellent interpretation of the theme and for me great pictures. You should be very proud and beem with pride. What you do for the rescue is fab. Both lovely shots but I do like Mollys face :D

Was very sunny this morning :)

Thanks Alex :)

They are definitely dogs to be proud of:clap:

I like both shots but the composition & eye contact of number two wins it for me!

I see what Paul means about being slightly over exposed by your edit. Yes the grass looks a better shade but Molly's fur has changed colour! What software do you have? I think I would try a layer mask on this to work the areas that need it!

oh lovely lovely dogs :clap:

I really admire you for being part of the rescue too :)

onto the shots - I prefer no. 2 as you can see more of the dog. I don't see anything wrong with the light, and in fact the one that has been edited by DK looks very dull and the coat is brown instead of white (my monitor not calibrated either).

so two lovely shots and you should be proud OF YOURSELF :clap:

No 2 dog for me he has one leg up my dogs do that when they are focused on something

They are definitely dogs to be proud of:clap:

I like both shots but the composition & eye contact of number two wins it for me!

I see what Paul means about being slightly over exposed by your edit. Yes the grass looks a better shade but Molly's fur has changed colour! What software do you have? I think I would try a layer mask on this to work the areas that need it!

Ermm how do i do that:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Very fitting for theme that, I like number 1, but I think it would benefit from a crop off the bottom. They do seem a little bright on my screen too.

Will have another look at it tonighy

oh lovely lovely dogs :clap:

I really admire you for being part of the rescue too :)

onto the shots - I prefer no. 2 as you can see more of the dog. I don't see anything wrong with the light, and in fact the one that has been edited by DK looks very dull and the coat is brown instead of white (my monitor not calibrated either).

so two lovely shots and you should be proud OF YOURSELF :clap:

Thanks
No 2 dog for me he has one leg up my dogs do that when they are focused on something

Thanks

Lovely dogs. They need a bath, but lovely none-the-less!

I prefer the second shot because the dog's shape is a bit odd in the first one, but love the dog you've used in both, and you've frozen the movement really well.

I'm not 100% they say pride without your explanation, but who cares because they are great shots anyway.

Hi Liz

I am beginniing to fall well behind and have only just got round to your posts - sorry, but at least you have had a lot of helpful comments.

Vice - like that - simple, good pov and focus and goos colour

Entrance - many hav had a comment and i cnnnot add to them

Soft - i like that a lot because of the candid nature and the focus not being on what one would perceive to be the main subject. Really exemplifies the theme

Pride - without your explanation i would not get the link unless, say, there was a person cuddling or exhibiting the dog. However your pride in them and your work shows through as they bothh look alert and contented. #2 is the better shot because the composition and colours are better, but nice to see movement in shot #1

Lovely dogs. They need a bath, but lovely none-the-less!

I prefer the second shot because the dog's shape is a bit odd in the first one, but love the dog you've used in both, and you've frozen the movement really well.

I'm not 100% they say pride without your explanation, but who cares because they are great shots anyway.

Nah they didn't need a bath, just got encouraged into the lake before they got back in the Van

Hi Liz

I am beginniing to fall well behind and have only just got round to your posts - sorry, but at least you have had a lot of helpful comments.

Vice - like that - simple, good pov and focus and goos colour

Entrance - many hav had a comment and i cnnnot add to them

Soft - i like that a lot because of the candid nature and the focus not being on what one would perceive to be the main subject. Really exemplifies the theme

Pride - without your explanation i would not get the link unless, say, there was a person cuddling or exhibiting the dog. However your pride in them and your work shows through as they bothh look alert and contented. #2 is the better shot because the composition and colours are better, but nice to see movement in shot #1

Thanks i think my soft is the best photo i have taken up to press, and I did say that my pride would need an explanation,

Thanks i think my soft is the best photo i have taken up to press....

You're being too modest; it's not only that, but it's one of the best out of ALL the 52ers. I won't say the best, because there are so many I wish I'd taken, but it's easily up there.

You're being too modest; it's not only that, but it's one of the best out of ALL the 52ers. I won't say the best, because there are so many I wish I'd taken, but it's easily up there.

Wow, thanks am really flattered:):):)

Hi Liz

2 great shots of your lovely dogs...don't know how you do it...I'd end up with all of them not just 5 :LOL:

& Yet again , just to be different it's #1 for me.....love the expression on Millies face...she looks so happy , the path leads you to her nicely ...possibly a little bright on her face but what the hell....you should indeed be proud of yourself & the pair of them :clap:

Dog crazy lady - this made me laugh - great photos because they made me feel as though I was there and could imagine taking a step back so I didn't get sprayed on!

yep thats me, crazy dog lady:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: wouldn't have it any other way

Hi Liz

2 great shots of your lovely dogs...don't know how you do it...I'd end up with all of them not just 5 :LOL:

& Yet again , just to be different it's #1 for me.....love the expression on Millies face...she looks so happy , the path leads you to her nicely ...possibly a little bright on her face but what the hell....you should indeed be proud of yourself & the pair of them :clap:

thanks lynne:)

Thank you for the story it adds to the shot when you know the reasons behind it, I take my hat off to you and your dedication to the dogs. :clap:

Both shots are working for me.(y)

Thank you for the story it adds to the shot when you know the reasons behind it, I take my hat off to you and your dedication to the dogs. :clap:

Both shots are working for me.(y)

Hi Liz, great shots of Millie and Molly, I won't pick between the two as I don't want to offend either of them!!:LOL::LOL:

you daren't offend Millie, you have to share space with her from time to time, :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back