weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

Hi Marsha, desperately trying to catch up having let work get in the way (of everything:( ). Sorry if I've missed some of your shots.

Friendship; I'd call the first one "in need of friendship". I love it, but wonder if it wouldn't work better in B&W? Not so keen on the second one; lovely shot, but I don't think there's enough of a connection between them for the theme.

Change; it has to be the last one; lovely shot with wonderful colours.

Natural; very nice shot! Lovely colours and DoF.

Age; Smashing photo! I really love the candid nature of it.

Spread; I'm not sure, certainly not up to your normal standard :(. The landscape just looks a bit "snappy" to me, and the leaves I don't really see the theme in.

Together; That really is a lovely photograph. Can't fault it.

Pack; Very very brave!, and very well taken. SP's are tough at the best of times, but to get the exposure right with all that white on a black background is quite something! I like the pose best in the first one.

Thanks Sarah, Michael and Mike. There's still time for you all to get an SP in ;)

Southdowns said:
Hi Marsha, desperately trying to catch up having let work get in the way (of everything:( ). Sorry if I've missed some of your shots.

Hi Mark :wave: I know what it's like, I have work time issues affecting me too!

Change; it has to be the last one; lovely shot with wonderful colours.
YAY, someone likes it :)

Spread; I'm not sure, certainly not up to your normal standard :(
This gives me hope that I've reached a certain standard :) The odd 'poor' week just gives incentive to do better every week!

Pack; Very very brave!, and very well taken. SP's are tough at the best of times, but to get the exposure right with all that white on a black background is quite something!

Like I've said, there's still time for you to get one done this year ;) That face pack was a very pale blue, I'm hoping that helped a bit with the metering!

Many thanks for taking the time to catch up, it's appreciated and I'm glad you like all my other shots :)

My art subject is currently setting in the freezer! I hope to get it done in the next few days but work is stopping me just now!

Ooo colour, YAY I have an idea :) and a reshoot :thinking:

Last edited:
Together, yeah like it. Especially the smile on your friend's face.

Pack, SP......:clap: I've done a few and often wonder why people are averse to doing them :thinking: Perhaps we should end with a SP theme :clap:

You've done really well with such a high dynamic range, blacks are....err, nice and black and the skin tones are good. You did really well with the sharpness and colour. Nice catchlights. Of the two I prefer #2. Crit....hmmm, well just the slightly hot parts, on your right cheek and forehead.

Cheers.

Hi Marsha,

I'm sorry I have taken so long to get here. I have almost been ashore for a month now but you know how fast leave goes when you have to catch up with friends relatives etc. My post pile took two days to sort out which is two days of my life i'm never going to get back! Hope all is well at work:)

Spread - I really like your leaves on the ground, nice focus and colours too. definetley bang on theme.

Together - That's a really nice image and definitely one for the family album. Nice focus too. looks like your patience payed off.

Pack - Brilliant take on the theme and very brave of you. I think I prefer the first image good whites and blacks too. Clever self-portrait and your focus is spot on.

Hi Marsha

& another brave body doing an SP....works really well...#2 for me , prefer the angle & your expression , really well exposed ....an all round mahooosive :clap:

Love both of these Marsha :D
A fun creative and brave (IMO) take on the theme.
Wonderful expression in both of them, I particularly like the catchlights in your eyes which are super sharp too.
Technically very good too, well lit, composed and processed.
Nowt much more to say really, these are brilliant (y)

I read Andy's comment about us all doing an SP, and it fills me with dread to be honest. :LOL:

Pack, SP......:clap: I've done a few and often wonder why people are averse to doing them :thinking: Perhaps we should end with a SP theme :clap:

You've done really well with such a high dynamic range, blacks are....err, nice and black and the skin tones are good. You did really well with the sharpness and colour. Nice catchlights. Of the two I prefer #2. Crit....hmmm, well just the slightly hot parts, on your right cheek and forehead.

Cheers Andy, I was sat right in front of the window on a very cloudy day which gave quite nice lighting. I still got the bright areas though which were mostly recovered in ACR, but the remaining bits do stand out a touch.

As for SP's I think a lot of people don't want to get in front of the camera let alone plaster it all over the internet!

Oh I've done 3 so far; for fear, shiny, and pride
I had to go back and refresh my memory, your pride shot was very clever!

I'm sorry I have taken so long to get here. I have almost been ashore for a month now but you know how fast leave goes when you have to catch up with friends relatives etc. My post pile took two days to sort out which is two days of my life i'm never going to get back! Hope all is well at work

Spread - I really like your leaves on the ground, nice focus and colours too. definetley bang on theme.

Together - That's a really nice image and definitely one for the family album. Nice focus too. looks like your patience payed off.

Pack - Brilliant take on the theme and very brave of you. I think I prefer the first image good whites and blacks too. Clever self-portrait and your focus is spot on.

Hi Nick :wave: thanks for getting time to drop in, leave goes so fast when you've got to get all the family visits in! I hope you are enjoying your time back home?

& another brave body doing an SP....works really well...#2 for me , prefer the angle & your expression , really well exposed ....an all round mahooosive :clap:
Thanks Lynne, glad you like it. I tried a number of expressions and angles, scowls didn't work! Like I said, plenty of time for you all to get an SP in ;)

Love both of these Marsha :D
A fun creative and brave (IMO) take on the theme.
Wonderful expression in both of them, I particularly like the catchlights in your eyes which are super sharp too.
Technically very good too, well lit, composed and processed.
Nowt much more to say really, these are brilliant (y)
Many thanks Iain, your kind words are greatly appreciated.

I read Andy's comment about us all doing an SP, and it fills me with dread to be honest. :LOL:
You did one, two actually :thinking: Well, we could see bits of your face and feet in one!

Pack - No:2 for me, it's more complete with the full ear showing, and prefer not seeing the strap, a real nice sharp picture, like the catch lights too, great SP
Cheers DK, I did consider cloning the strap out (I obviously forgot to drop it off my shoulder that time) but it was too time consuming and I decided it evened out a bit with the band in my hair, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it :coat:

Now I just need my art prop to set and I can get to work shooting it, although I feel a big fat fail coming my way as it doesn't look like I though it would:shrug:

Hi Marsha

Together - spot on theme, good comp and well handled with the three faces to include - fills the frame and oozes togetheness.

Pack - as others have said , extremely brave and handled brilliantly. Great original idea, good comp, colour and lighting and lovely eyes :clap:

I prefer #1 as to me it is much more theatrical - a slightly quizical look that says "Don't you dare....".

Brave and very well captured in both of them Marsha... Personally, I think I prefer #1, the angles and expression make it more intriguing.. I agree with Alan... Fits the theme nicely.

I had other ideas for this theme but they weren't to be! I bought some pretty flowers and attempted the arty farty style with some textures. Alas one flower wilted and shed petals the next day:bonk: I thought about freezing it in water and shooting it through the ice, then my freezer defrosted itself, froze it again and finally got set up when my husband dropped the container of ice and it smashed :puke::wacky: So here is one of the original shots I took of a very beautiful pink rose with added texture:

I want to reshoot it (this flower is still going strong) and re-edit but time was ticking away too fast so this had to do! There's another version on Flickr but this was better for me.

C & C welcome.

When this theme was announced I knew I wanted to shoot these glasses. They're Swedish hand made spirit glasses and they're just so delicate and beautiful. That's why they mostly live in their box until i own a cabinet to display them in!

Multiple issues arose shooting these, hideous reflections, getting the background white and crease free, getting all the glasses in focus! I have hundreds of photos of these now, different angles and different DOF! I may add more to Flickr when I get a chance. As always C&C appreciated.

When I did my original win shot I was really rather ill and always wanted to reshoot it. This isn't the greatest shot as she was looking at the pro togger, but she's smiling and very pleased with her medal:love:

I did consider reducing the noise from the 2000 ISO (no flash allowed) but instead added some texture to build on it and take away the boring plain wall behind. It looked ok last night, but I may tweak it again tonight!

C&C welcome please:)

Hi Marsha.

Art is just stunning. I'd seriously struggle to get as nice a shot of a flower, let alone with the beautiful PP you've added.

Colour too is special. I really like the very clear, clean colours you've got without them being saturated. Nice and subtle.

Win reshoot is a lovely shot too. Perfect shot of your daughter except maybe the eye contact as you say, though a less cluttered background would have been the icing on the cake. Still you've done very well considering the location.

Hi Marsha

That Rose is blooming wonderfull...excellent...no faults for me....:clap::clap: I'm guessing it's done with overlaying textures on the petals ? how did you get a different texture & color on the BG though :thinking:

Color...I saw those glasses yesterday in a store & thought they were lovely.... great DOF, nice white BG , few if any light spots & just a hint of shadows...top work hun :clap: If I have to be picky & crit...the only thing I'd mention is the slight bit of green in the base of the 4th glass...but thats sooo minor

Win...good use of DOF again , lovely expression on her face...I'd maybe have cropped the lhs a bit to lose the bits of the child sat down there ?

Art is just stunning. I'd seriously struggle to get as nice a shot of a flower, let alone with the beautiful PP you've added.
Oh thanks Mark, I did wonder if there was too much PP as some don't like textures on such a beautiful flower, but it really does help. I''ve uploaded the original for comparison.

Colour too is special. I really like the very clear, clean colours you've got without them being saturated. Nice and subtle.
Thank you again, I think I was disappointed initially as I had to clone out so many reflections and I wasn't going to upload it, then I looked the next day and thought, 'you know, that's actually ok' :bonk:

Win reshoot is a lovely shot too. Perfect shot of your daughter except maybe the eye contact as you say, though a less cluttered background would have been the icing on the cake. Still you've done very well considering the location.
If she would have posed against a clean background I would have got her too, but getting this was the best I was going to get! The pp does help tone down the clutter though!

Great pictures Marsha!

That rose is truly arty, really like and the pink has come out really well.

The glasses are well postioned and well taken. Really interesting items, thats the kind of thing I would love to have and just look at! Like this shot alot.

Win - fab :)

That Rose is blooming wonderfull...excellent...no faults for me....:clap::clap: I'm guessing it's done with overlaying textures on the petals ? how did you get a different texture & color on the BG though :thinking:

Cheers Lynne. This is another one that I didn't think much of initially but the more I looked at it the the more I loved it :bonk: And the PP was actually easier than you think. I gave it the Florabella matt film action which evened out the background and lightened some of the shadows in the rose, then copy and pasted on the 'Beyond Seagrain Light' texture (freebie's from here) by Sarah Gardner, (be quick there are others here ) The texture was softened by the Florabella action but it works ok without, you just need to reduce the opacity slider a bit. Or as I did, used the eraser with a soft brush set to about 30% and just brushed away the texture so enough remained. I actually removed it all from the flower itself, the texture of the flower has been enhanced by the action! Does that all make sense?

Oh and here's the original for comparison:

Color...I saw those glasses yesterday in a store & thought they were lovely.... great DOF, nice white BG , few if any light spots & just a hint of shadows...top work hun :clap: If I have to be picky & crit...the only thing I'd mention is the slight bit of green in the base of the 4th glass...but thats sooo minor
You know I saw that green bit as I uploaded it, I will deal with that tomorrow! Glad you like, and get those glasses they're lovely!

Win...good use of DOF again , lovely expression on her face...I'd maybe have cropped the lhs a bit to lose the bits of the child sat down there ?
I did consider cropping both the child left and right, but it made for a very thin photo! So I left them in and as there's another child behind her :bonk: I want to try other editing trickery, but no time just now!

Thank you for your comments.

Last edited:
Good work Missus (as Lynne would say ;))
Art - I really like this, it has a water colour painterly feel about it. Lovely soft colour tones. Nice simple composition with strong diagonal through the frame.
I am intrigued about your original plan about freezing the flower. I do hope you can re-visit this and show us the outcome :LOL:

Colour like this too. You certainly don't make things easy for yourself photographing not one glass but multiples. You've handled this well Marsha, exposure/reflections/highlights I can imagine were a nightmare but you've smashed it (pun intended ;))
Not much crit going on here to be honest because I would really have to nitpick.

Win, as I have mentioned to Andy before, I do like it when 52'ers really add a personal touch to their weekly submissions. I feel little technicalities can be forgiven as it is a moment in time captured. Your little 'un looks rightly chuffed with her medal, a wonderful expression captured.

All round good work Marsha :)

Love the pp art shot lovely colours in there :clap:

Colour has some nice muted colour in the glass but maybe a closer shot there is a lot of bg there

Win is charming she looks very proud :clap:

Art, love the effect you've got here Marsha, suits the flower perfectly and defo has a fine art type feel to it. Same with the second version.

Colour, interesting glasses... Might have been a major pain to sort out the reflections etc, but you've done a good job of it. Nicely composed and I like it.

Win reshoot... lovely... the background is just one of those things... nicer without it like that, but sometimes there's nothing at all you can do about it...

Hi Marsha, the art picture is just lovely. Can't fault it really. I can imagine it printed and on a wall somewhere.

Colour, very tricky subject and you appear to have done quite well. The colours show through nicely without being over exposed. The 3rd glass from left to right appears to be taller? If it's not a trick of the light I would swap this and the glass to the left of it around.
Win reshoot, like it, the noise is fine and doesnt take anything away from the image.

That "clean" rose shot is nice, but you definitely did the right thing adding the texture.

Great pictures Marsha!

That rose is truly arty, really like and the pink has come out really well.

The glasses are well postioned and well taken. Really interesting items, thats the kind of thing I would love to have and just look at! Like this shot alot.

Win - fab :)

Cheers Alex, I wish I could look at those glasses more often, but I don't have a display cabinet and my family would destroy them, bull in a china shop and all that!

Good work Missus (as Lynne would say ;))
Art - I really like this, it has a water colour painterly feel about it. Lovely soft colour tones. Nice simple composition with strong diagonal through the frame.
I am intrigued about your original plan about freezing the flower. I do hope you can re-visit this and show us the outcome :LOL:

Colour like this too. You certainly don't make things easy for yourself photographing not one glass but multiples. You've handled this well Marsha, exposure/reflections/highlights I can imagine were a nightmare but you've smashed it (pun intended ;))
Not much crit going on here to be honest because I would really have to nitpick.

Win, as I have mentioned to Andy before, I do like it when 52'ers really add a personal touch to their weekly submissions. I feel little technicalities can be forgiven as it is a moment in time captured. Your little 'un looks rightly chuffed with her medal, a wonderful expression captured.

All round good work Marsha :)

Thanks Iain I did get a couple of shots of the frozen flower but it wasn't what I hoped for. I will definitely attempt it again, but keep the hubby well out of the way!
Yep, the glasses were a nightmare, if anything the biggest headache was the white balance, I have a lot of very yellow shots :bonk: And they nearly did get smashed!
It is nice to get decent shots of my daughter where she's smiling, this especially shows her slightly shy, under confident side as she was quite unsure but pleased with her medal (although probably still trying to figure out if it had chocolate hidden in it!) As opposed to the stroppy spirited scowl I get a lot of!

Thank you again for the kind words Iain.

Hi Marsha - I love your take on art with the picture of the rose. The lighting is great, the processing is great. Well done :clap:
Hi Steven :wave: Glad you like my art shot and thank you dropping in. I will get around to your thread at some point.

Art - lovely shot of rose. The PP is very effective. I shall have to look at the links that you have given for inspiration.

Colour - good idea, on theme. You have handled exposure well for a difficult subject.

Win re shoot - cute. High ISO not bad at all.
Many thanks Alan. I hope you got to look at those links, Sarah Gardner takes some lovely photos, plenty of inspiration on her website as well as the odd freebies!

Love the pp art shot lovely colours in there :clap:

Colour has some nice muted colour in the glass but maybe a closer shot there is a lot of bg there

Win is charming she looks very proud :clap:
Cheers Allan, I did take some closer shots of the glasses, just not had a chance to go through them all!

Art, love the effect you've got here Marsha, suits the flower perfectly and defo has a fine art type feel to it. Same with the second version.

Colour, interesting glasses... Might have been a major pain to sort out the reflections etc, but you've done a good job of it. Nicely composed and I like it.

Win reshoot... lovely... the background is just one of those things... nicer without it like that, but sometimes there's nothing at all you can do about it...
Hi John, I am rather liking using textures, but always wary of going too far with them!
I did clone out a lot of reflections! One day I'll learn how to shoot glass reflection free:bonk:
As a snap, I think the background adds to the shot of my daughter as you can see the gym equipment and other children, but for this I too would have liked it cleaner, oh well.

Hi Marsha, the art picture is just lovely. Can't fault it really. I can imagine it printed and on a wall somewhere.

Colour, very tricky subject and you appear to have done quite well. The colours show through nicely without being over exposed. The 3rd glass from left to right appears to be taller? If it's not a trick of the light I would swap this and the glass to the left of it around.
Win reshoot, like it, the noise is fine and doesnt take anything away from the image.
Thanks Michael, I may have to print that rose shot!

I think the glasses are all the same height (I'll have to get them out and check), the stem on the third glass is longer to account for the more bulbous glass at the top! I was actually tring to arrange them by colour initially, but now I look at that and think they should be rearranged!

The noise always looks worse on my pc than it does online, I guess there are disadvantages to a good monitor :thinking:

That "clean" rose shot is nice, but you definitely did the right thing adding the texture.
Thank you Mark.

Back