weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

Just looked through all 30 pages of your thread and some absolutely gorgeous shots - and love the 'twist' on the theme with some of them :) Great work and looking forward to the last ones :)

Hi Carol :wave: Glad you like my photos!

really nice shot of the spiders web not sure about the round thing though but you know that after all the other comments
Cheers Allan, I can see what I meant :)

Hi Marsha, :wave:
I will buck the trend here about interpretation of round, I didn't take it to necessarily mean circular, in the sense that you can look round a corner ;)

Your image has curves within it so for me it meets the theme.

I really like it, nature at its most artistic well spotted. I do feel the background colour is a little overpowering though, how does it look as a B&W conversion or even just desaturated a little?

Not long to go now before we can all start again :LOL:

Hi Iain, I tried converting it to B&W but just could t get the tones/ contrast right:bonk:

It's abstract, different and works for me for the theme... the background really makes the ice crystals stand out too, but like Iain, think it's perhaps a little over powering...
Thanks John, maybe I should tone it down a touch!

Hi Marsha - round - super shot, loving the frost, but must admit am struggling a bit with the theme.
Cheers Mike, you just need a strange brain like mine to figure it out!

That's a cracking shot Marsha. I like it. The orange (or red?) background really accentuates the frosty or iced up spider's web.
Many thanks Peter, it's actually a brown wooden table leg, you've got to love how flashes can change things!

I promise to get my negative shot on here tomorrow. Been busy and this insomnia ain't helping! Best I try and sleep now.

Hi Marsha. Can't believe how many of your weeks I've missed, so a quick run through.
Body - I prefer the original shot, although a great bit of PP in #2 little bits seem to have suffered i.e. the prop ends and the tail writing. Just an opinion.
Liquid - A brilliant take. Like the closeness and format.
Up - Another where colour really works, lovely blue sky. Pity the aircraft trails got in the way. The final edit (square crop) works even better.
Mineral reshoot - I prefer this to the original. Good composition, detail and colour
Duo - I like both the shot and the taste, if only you had left me a bite.
Flow - The angle works although I would have preferred to see a bit more of the glass and stem. Think the lowest swirl of liquid would be good.
Friendship - #2 gives the message. B/W conversion is lovely.
Change - Difficult to decide as they are all on theme and the PP shill has worked wonders. I think the naturalness of the second shot is the overall winner. The first has striking colouration but needs an earlier version green/yellow maybe. The last seems dominated by to much foreground. Perhaps a square crop uf the upper section.
Natural - Lovely colours and good use of DOF to pull out the subject. Well on theme
Age - Like the expressions and show of young emotions towards each other. Good capture at a slow shutter speed.
Spread - #2 has it all. Sunlight, shadow, leaves, grass, and tree trunk lines of age. A great shot for the theme.
Pack - Can't argue with this.
Art - A terrific piece of work. Not overdone with the processing shows real skill.
Win reshoot - another good show of powerful emotion. Unfortunate not being able to crop but this can be forgiven.
Shadow - Can't fault for subject or lighting and thanks for showing setup.
Glow - Often difficult to nail but you've managed to get a good balance. Especially like the rays
Round - Tis too late in the project to argue so i'll accept Around. Good shot of the frost and like the idea of red/orange b/g to pull out detail.

Only 2 themes to go so hope to respond to these a bit quicker.:LOL:

After four frustrating hours I was close to throwing my camera out the window! But a few of you have said to post my efforts anyway, so here's the first attempt:

Firstly it's boring! Secondly there's too much pp, had to combine two shots in a HDR style and clone out hot spots of the incredibly shiny battery!

All attempts at 'glass half empty' were deleted in disgust!

Third attempt here was interpreted along the lines of minus a bit! Alas there was less left when I took this:

A Terry's chocolate orange was harmed in the taking of this shot!

All C&C welcome, be gentle!

Marsha,

The more I look at your first round attempt (the web), the more I like it. I think I was too harsh in my first comment.

Sorry to hear you've been struggling this week. I still haven't got my Negative shot done... The ideas I had for it were mostly to do with sub-zero temperatures, of which we've had none since the theme was announced. The week before, of course, we had one day of amazingly atmospheric tree frost... I also spotted a frozen dandelion wishie (yes, in December!) that I REALLY wanted to photograph. The next day, it had thawed. Grr.

Hi Marsha, I feel your frustration, I am sure you are the same as me in seeking as close to perfection in your photography. When the ideas don't come to what we envisaged, frustration sets in :LOL:

I like your battery image, it is bang on theme, not boring IMHO, it's got something going for it. Lovely colour tones and detail in there, interesting dof too.

Your final submission of the chocolate orange is bang on theme too, well lit and composed. Good work all round Missus (y)

I like all three of those Marsha, but the wonderful rich tones of your round reshoot make that the standout one for me; faultless :)

Of the two negative ones, I prefer the battery because its bang on theme and the colours are lovely. The orange one doesn't hit the theme for me, and the shot itself, though good, can't compete with the same subject for round.

#1 is bang on theme. I maybe would have lit the right hand end a bit more but the rest of it is spot on. I like the touch of reflected colour on the surface.

Hi Marsha

Cadbury's Oranges...yum yum...2nd version for me , texture looks spot on & it really does seem to jump out of the screen at me ...really nice work missus :clap:

negative reshoot...bang on theme , well lit...like it (y)

The reshoot of round.. excellent... looks so good, I wanted to reach out and eat some....

Not entirely surprised to see some of it had gone in Negative, but I was surprised to see how little had gone :D... Both are good, but I think I'll have to go with the choccy Orange, as it sits nicely with Round...

Hi Marsha, I can't believe how many weeks i have allowed myself to drop behind....never mind, here goes with a mammoth catch up:

Friendship: The second shot for me. The little girl sits so proud as if to saying "Ahem, I'm having my potrait taken, do you mind!!" :D.....You captured the shot just at the right moment (y)

Change: Out of the three choices, I am very much drawn to the second...the contrast of the living green leaves and dying brown/red leaf make it for me.
Keeping PP to a minimum has paid off imo(y)

Natural: Excellent detail on the fruit Marsha and the colours are superbly vibrant....Agree with Andy about possibly skirting slightly to the right but tbh the shot looks darned good regardless.

Age: The baby is definitley taken with the boy, his face says it all.....Going on that most toddlers want to try eat everything they come into contact with, perhaps eyeball was on his afternoon menu :puke:

Spread: Air traffic sunshine = Fog/Mist ...that is just ace.

Tbh the foggy shot does nothing for me although I can see where you are coming from in relation the the theme.
The spread of dead leaves in the second shot is very nice....autumn colours are very beautiful and you have captured them well, the tree giving the tree a definite focal point.

Together: A gorgeous capture of what will no doubt prove to be a treasured memory for the family.
Spot metering is typically the norm when I shoot and it can work very well as you have found here although it does very much depend on what you're shooting.

Pack: I can't make my mind up which version I prefer to be honest Marsha....you do suit white though :D

Art: The PP that you've applied is excellent...such an oldie worldie and indeed arty result....a credit to your pp skills Marsha (y)

Colour: Can't find any fault with this shot either Marsha...quite the contrary tbh ...I shot a single glass a while ago and struggled so much with reflection etc that I've never bothered again since....not an easy subject matter, hence deserved praise for your excellent result.

Win Reshoot.....Olympic gold medalist for gymnastics in 2024 perhaps?!

Shadow: Until I read further down the page, I figured you had used fishing line to dangle the balerina then removed it in PP...i wasn't far out ;)
I like the way you have captured the shadow..the fact it blurs out appeals to me.
I admire your practical ideas of how to get the shot you want by using lego....you do realise that your little ones will send you a bill in the new year for the loan of THEIR kit:D

Glow: Bang on theme!.......perhaps reflected in a bauble ( is that how you spell it?!!) would have added more interest.

Round: At first glance, I really thought this was a piece of jewellery.....It is truly a gem....the detail, the exposure and the composure ( near on round!) ....I would be very proud of a shot like this Marsha...Well done!

Negative: Sounds like you have struggled here but tbh I think the battery is an excellent take on the theme.

You're almost at the end of this years challenge Marsha....Something to be extremely proud of!
Some superb ideas and results which I'm sure will have inspired other members on TP
Perhaps you're going to do similar in 2013 ??

Either way a huge round of applause for your efforts :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll drop back in soon to comment on your week 52 shot.(y)

Oops, quite a bit behind!

Hi Marsha, I feel your frustration, I am sure you are the same as me in seeking as close to perfection in your photography. When the ideas don't come to what we envisaged, frustration sets in :LOL:

I like your battery image, it is bang on theme, not boring IMHO, it's got something going for it. Lovely colour tones and detail in there, interesting dof too.

Your final submission of the chocolate orange is bang on theme too, well lit and composed. Good work all round Missus (y)

Cheers Iain, I nearly did have a tantrum at that battery shot! I don't think I'll ever have perfection without the aid of the master that is Adobe!

I like all three of those Marsha, but the wonderful rich tones of your round reshoot make that the standout one for me; faultless :)

Of the two negative ones, I prefer the battery because its bang on theme and the colours are lovely. The orange one doesn't hit the theme for me, and the shot itself, though good, can't compete with the same subject for round.
Thanks Mark, I am warming to the battery shot the more I look at it. The Terry's shot for round was a grab shot to test the lighting, wish I could grab more like that!

#1 is bang on theme. I maybe would have lit the right hand end a bit more but the rest of it is spot on. I like the touch of reflected colour on the surface.
I tried all sorts with the lighting Peter, this was a compromise! I used my slate place mats for the texture, the reflection was a bonus!

Cadbury's Oranges...yum yum...2nd version for me , texture looks spot on & it really does seem to jump out of the screen at me ...really nice work missus :clap:

negative reshoot...bang on theme , well lit...like it (y)
Thanks Lynne, oh and if you like Terry's you just wait for my final shot ;)

The reshoot of round.. excellent... looks so good, I wanted to reach out and eat some....

Not entirely surprised to see some of it had gone in Negative, but I was surprised to see how little had gone :D... Both are good, but I think I'll have to go with the choccy Orange, as it sits nicely with Round...
John I ate it all, the exploding candy variety is highly recommended! Cheers for dropping it in.

Wow Asha that's some catch up, I'll be doing the same for your thread some time soon I promise! I know what you mean abiut toddlers and eyes, I swear my son has tried to gauge mine out a few times and my daughter almost succeeded with my hubby, he wore an eye patch for a few days after she scratched him by accident.

Many thanks for the kind words, I'm just trying to locate some motivation to start it all again next week :bonk: :help::nuts::puke:

Anyhow, best I upload my final shot!

Ok, so it seems that if you don't know what to get me for Christmas, get me chocolate! I have gained a little weight over the festive week, but nothing excessive, I fear that may increase. My jaws (and dentist) have a busy time ahead:

There is too much chocolate here for you to see it all, so this is what is in this monumental stash:

Hotel Chocolat:
The Tasting club fortified (alcoholic) selection. 315g. I had tried to cancel these, whoops!
The Tasting Club Classic selection. 355g
Classic Champagne Truffles. 100g

Four Terry’s chocolate Oranges.
2 x milk, 1 x exploding candy and 1 x white candy cracker. 175g each!

Tin of Quality Street, nearly finished as they were a donation from the Blakester when we met at the beginning of this month!

2 x 360g boxes of Maltesers. One was for hubby’s Christmas present; he reckons he’s not eating chocolate anymore!!! One box is almost empty.

Cadbury’s
Giant buttons, 375g. Open and found hiding in the back of the pantry! Now taking centre stage in the fridge for consumption!

Two packs of fingers, one white and one milk. 125g each. Donated by the Beanbandit who apparently is going on a diet, laugh here Andrew :LOL:
Three small selection packs (two are the kids, possibly)

Two Mars & friends selection packs (for the kids, apparently)

One 400g White Toblerone, Two 170g Toblerone, one white and one milk.

Two packs gold coins, two packs Milkybar Buttons and two broken Thorntons white chocolate snowmen, all the kids!
300g box of Ferrero Rocher.

380g tin of Cadburys biscuits.
600g tin of Mcvities family biscuit selection.

568g box of Thorntons Great British Puddings.

200g box of Lindt Lindor, leftover Olympic stash!

And a partridge in a pear tree!

I may share the biscuits and the Thorntons!!!

If I did do diets it would start next Christmas :eek:

Last edited:
Heavens above woman......that is some stash :eek:

Congrats on completing your 52 challenge Hun...have loved seeing your shots (y)

On to the shot.....like the layout , good lighting , nice n sharp & a lovely black BG :clap:
Only minor niggle is the tube of Milky Bars...looks a little out of place but not sure where else you could have put it ...& the very slight hot spot line on the back rh box , I suspect it's the cellophane wrapper but not sure again how you could have avoided this. Did you use light painting for this ?

Are you going to re-join the madhouse for 2013 ? Sad if you're not but don't be a stranger round these parts .....& enjoy all those lovely goodies (y)

Hi Marsha

I seem to have fallen behind with my comments to you - apologies

Round - I have commented on the web shot but have got a bit confused with the other 2 shote of the orange.
I think that the first is for round and the second for negative but i am going to buck the trend of the other comments and say that i prefer orange #2 for the round shot. I like the simplicity, the brightb/g - tho not overpowering - the pov and the top lighting.

Orange #1 has good detail and colour but the uneven line of the silver paper at the back detracts from the image.

Neagtive #1 - just not sure of the bit of table in front of the battery but good pov, detail and colour. Very much on theme

Busy - well my word i thought that I liked choc but that is a proper van load and thus the shot is very much on theme given how busy you will be eating it. Good layout and b/g and i agrre with all crit that Lynne has made.

Well done on finishing 2012 52.(y)

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to comment on my shots. I note that you were one of the first to look at my thread on 14.01.2012 :ty:

Nice layout to all that chocolate, well done for finishing and its time you got started demolishing that stash

Just think of the calories :nono: I could always volunteer to help you but I think I've also overdone it this Christmas.

Congratulations on completing your 52.

Marsha,
I've been keeping a close eye on your 52 and I can see how your photography has deleloped over the last year, in a good way! I think it will stand you in good stead for next year ;). Thanks for the entertainment and congrats on completing the year.
Happy New Year!
Andrew

Busy - :eek: My goodness that's a lot of chocolate! Crit, it looks a little too arranged for my liking and I'm wondering what a "messy" busy would have looked like.

Congrats on completing the challenge and thanks for all your feedback throughout 2012!

Good finish to the 52 Marsha, technically very good, I like the even lighting on it. It could easily be a product shot. Good work, see you in 2013 52 :)

Good one for busy; you sure will be! Nicely taken and beautifully lit.

Congratulations on finishing; time to start over again!

That's busy, and a mighty stash of choccy... I like it, the arrangement works well and it's nicely lit. Congrats on completing the 52.

Congratulations on completing your challenge Marsha!(y)

Seems you stash choc like my mrs.....I have purposely ensured she hasn't seen your offer to share the Thorntons!:D

Hi Marsha :)

Catch up time, sorry but it will be brief as I want to get comments up to date :)

Colour - Lovely pastel colours there, like the lighting and the great background - a cracking shot (y)

Win re-shoot - One happy little girl there, well captured

Shadow - Again great background and lighting, you really have got the knack with it - great image, well set up and executed !!!!

(Thanks for sharing your set-up too :))

Glow - Love that, I tried similar but gave up as I have LCD lights now and they are chronic for macro images, boring little things, yours has a great glow/feel to it, liking the burst and shiny tip

Round - An interesting link top the theme, but with the finished image who cares, it's an excellent shot !!!!

Round again - Nom Nom Nom..... Nice indeed, looks good enough to eat :clap:

Negative - Only positive to say about this, great dof, like the low light too

Busy - A nice finish to a great year of 52's, it's been fun following your shots, Congratulations on finishing :clap:

Hi Marsha
Congratulations on finishing your 52.
Final comments; Negative - It may be boring but on theme and too late to worry about technicalities.
Chocolate orange 1st = Round. 2nd = Is negative now it's been devoured.
And your finale ....... You'll sure be busy with this lot, but not sure where.:LOL:
Enjoyed popping into your thread, and thanks for all your useful advice during the year.
Wishing you a Happy New Year, and good luck with 2013_52. will pop in for a view now and again.

OMG, look away for two minutes (OK a week or so) and I have loads of replies!

Heavens above woman......that is some stash :eek:

Congrats on completing your 52 challenge Hun...have loved seeing your shots (y)

On to the shot.....like the layout , good lighting , nice n sharp & a lovely black BG :clap:
Only minor niggle is the tube of Milky Bars...looks a little out of place but not sure where else you could have put it ...& the very slight hot spot line on the back rh box , I suspect it's the cellophane wrapper but not sure again how you could have avoided this. Did you use light painting for this ?

Are you going to re-join the madhouse for 2013 ? Sad if you're not but don't be a stranger round these parts .....& enjoy all those lovely goodies (y)

Hi Liynne :wave: The stash has started to shrink, VERY slowly mind as I would need a knew wardrobe if I scoffed it all in a week!

I agree that the milkiy bar tube looks out of place, but the kids had already started on the other tube:bonk: the small silver pack in between the tube and the Hotel Chocolat small box is the remnants of the half eaten tube! Yes those packs at the back were still in cellophane, I tried to reduced the glare on them but the odd hot spot snuck in. It's not light painting, it was simply the camera on a tripod with the living room uplighter in the left of the room and my reflector boucing light onto the RHS, trying to avoid hotspots as it's something silly like a 10-13 second exposure!
I adjusted the WB in ACR, the used to level masks, one to increase the black BG and the other for the larger white areas.

I will be rejoining the madhouse for this year:bonk: I have already signed up, just not started my thread yet! I'll get there eventually!

I seem to have fallen behind with my comments to you - apologies

Round - I have commented on the web shot but have got a bit confused with the other 2 shote of the orange.
I think that the first is for round and the second for negative but i am going to buck the trend of the other comments and say that i prefer orange #2 for the round shot. I like the simplicity, the brightb/g - tho not overpowering - the pov and the top lighting.

Orange #1 has good detail and colour but the uneven line of the silver paper at the back detracts from the image.

Neagtive #1 - just not sure of the bit of table in front of the battery but good pov, detail and colour. Very much on theme

Busy - well my word i thought that I liked choc but that is a proper van load and thus the shot is very much on theme given how busy you will be eating it. Good layout and b/g and i agrre with all crit that Lynne has made.

Well done on finishing 2012 52.(y)

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to comment on my shots. I note that you were one of the first to look at my thread on 14.01.2012 :ty:
Hi Alan, glad you liked my last shots of 2012 many thanks for your comments throughout this year, it's always appreciated to get C&C just a shame I struggle with time to get around to everyone's threads often enough!

Nice layout to all that chocolate, well done for finishing and its time you got started demolishing that stash

Cheers Allan, I'm working through it slowly!

Just think of the calories :nono: I could always volunteer to help you but I think I've also overdone it this Christmas.

Congratulations on completing your 52.
Thanks Peter, looking back over the year you were one of the first to comment on my 52, your support through has been appreciated. It's also been nice to meet and make new friends. Sorry you won't be joining us next year for another 52, but I hope to keep following along on Flickr.

I've been keeping a close eye on your 52 and I can see how your photography has deleloped over the last year, in a good way! I think it will stand you in good stead for next year ;). Thanks for the entertainment and congrats on completing the year.
Happy New Year!
Andrew
Many thanks Andrew, I have learnt a lot this year, just wish I had time to do more! I am planning on doing 2013's 52 as well :bonk:

Busy - :eek: My goodness that's a lot of chocolate! Crit, it looks a little too arranged for my liking and I'm wondering what a "messy" busy would have looked like.

Congrats on completing the challenge and thanks for all your feedback throughout 2012!
Cheers Nat, I should a tried just throwing it all in a big piile!

Good finish to the 52 Marsha, technically very good, I like the even lighting on it. It could easily be a product shot. Good work, see you in 2013 52 :)
Thanks Iain, your detailed comments throughout this year have given me the enthusiasm to keep going. Definitely see you in 2013!

Good one for busy; you sure will be! Nicely taken and beautifully lit.

Congratulations on finishing; time to start over again!
Cheers Mark. Once I've caught up on 2012 I'll be heading on to start 2013's!

That's busy, and a mighty stash of choccy... I like it, the arrangement works well and it's nicely lit. Congrats on completing the 52.
Thanks John, I've not forgotten you, I'm getitng there!

Congratulations on completing your challenge Marsha!(y)

Seems you stash choc like my mrs.....I have purposely ensured she hasn't seen your offer to share the Thorntons!
Hi Asha, did I actually say I would share my choccies :thinking: Many thanks for your support this year, I promise I will get round to your thread soon.

Catch up time, sorry but it will be brief as I want to get comments up to date.

Colour - Lovely pastel colours there, like the lighting and the great background - a cracking shot (y)

Win re-shoot - One happy little girl there, well captured

Shadow - Again great background and lighting, you really have got the knack with it - great image, well set up and executed !!!!

(Thanks for sharing your set-up too :))

Glow - Love that, I tried similar but gave up as I have LCD lights now and they are chronic for macro images, boring little things, yours has a great glow/feel to it, liking the burst and shiny tip

Round - An interesting link top the theme, but with the finished image who cares, it's an excellent shot !!!!

Round again - Nom Nom Nom..... Nice indeed, looks good enough to eat :clap:

Negative - Only positive to say about this, great dof, like the low light too

Busy - A nice finish to a great year of 52's, it's been fun following your shots, Congratulations on finishing :clap:
Hi DK, many thanks for the mega catch up, boy it's time consuming when you get behind.

Congratulations on finishing your 52.
Final comments; Negative - It may be boring but on theme and too late to worry about technicalities.
Chocolate orange 1st = Round. 2nd = Is negative now it's been devoured.
And your finale ....... You'll sure be busy with this lot, but not sure where.:LOL:
Enjoyed popping into your thread, and thanks for all your useful advice during the year.
Wishing you a Happy New Year, and good luck with 2013_52. will pop in for a view now and again.

Thanks John, I'm cutting back on normal food just now to make way for some of this lot! Thanks for getting round to my thread, it's been a busy year for all of us!

Back