weekly Dacmirc's 52 Week Challenge 2013

Love the depth of field, not so keen on wonky fence!

I like the placement of the cat and its a nice original take on the theme.
Narrow crop for me.

Last edited:
Sin, For a selfie that has worked out very well with your position. My only minute crit would be the wall looks a little too clean, but I don't expect you to add graffiti......well not too much anyway.

Season, that is one unhappy ginger pussy :D the first one works best for me but I do also like the letterbox crop.

(y)

Cheers guys/gals for all the comments!

Well you have had a lot of comments on your shot - partic wonky v unwonky fence :D

My view generally is that the shot is a bit far from the theme but that it is a good shot nonetheless. The cat is very well caught and a lovely colour

I can see where your coming from there Alan, it fitted as i saw the cat shivering but then again its a picture. Tried to make it as cold looking as i could but not sure if it came across like that. Cheers for comments thought!

Sin, For a selfie that has worked out very well with your position. My only minute crit would be the wall looks a little too clean, but I don't expect you to add graffiti......well not too much anyway.

Season, that is one unhappy ginger pussy :D the first one works best for me but I do also like the letterbox crop.

(y)

Thanks! Ha if i sprayed the wall id loose my nads! Misses B wouldnt be best pleased... Whens she ever actually! Ha.

Fair one it was a tad miffed!

I havent gone AWOL this week ive just been super "snowed" under with Uni work. Ill be looking to get my gravity image done and posted by tomorrow night and will take some time over the weekend to get around all your posts and comment! :)

Gravity by Dacmirc, on Flickr

Well heres my gravity! Had quite a mare doing this! Any tips of how to do it better would be greatly appreciated and ill have another go this week! I only had that color of glasses so i think i need to invest in some clear ones for my next attempt!

You're not far off - like the grey base and background. Unsure of the differing levels / liquids. the dark liquid going from full to half full so the top of the fluids were all in line would work really well (i thinks).

Might be tempted to clone in the missing corner of the grey on the right.

A few odd reflections which must be hard to avoid.

Top work though Lee (y)

I really must have a go at this. Composition is good and the idea of the slopping fluid is almost there, can't be easy.

Not keen on the black and white BG.

:clap: for doing something different.

Cheers.

Cheers guys for the comments! I agree its a bit of a last min ditch attempt! Ive just noticed the corner now! Cheers for pointing that out, ill have a go at cloning it out tomorrow.

The hardest part was getting the fluid right and the angle, the way they are is the best i could do without the glasses tumbling over! Ha misses b wouldn't be too pleased with food colouring all over the spare room carpet!

How do you guys make your backgrounds? I bought 4 pieced of card thats white one side and black the other.

Also the bottom card is actually jet black but it came out grey even though i white balanced of a proper chart??

I just took a picture of the card, i used my Diving white balance slate. How do you mean zeroed out the meter? Should i invest in the sets were you get a black a white and a grey one?

Cheers Again for the advice Andy

I just took a picture of the card, i used my Diving white balance slate. How do you mean zeroed out the meter? Should i invest in the sets were you get a black a white and a grey one?

Cheers Again for the advice Andy

I don't use a grey card. I tend to take a meter reading off something green, like grass, which, I'm told is the same as 17% grey.

Zero out the meter, it's shown on this photograph a 'balanced exposure'

Clicky linky

Cheers.

I rather like those glasses mister....having done this same type of shot for my gravity post I know just how fiddly & frustrating it is !

Think you've done a great job though & I quite like the black base & white bg...wonder if B&W for the whole image would work...:thinking: possibly the red bits would go black rather then white so it wouldn't work :bonk:

Well heres my go at Wild or Wildlife! Just your average seagull soaring in the wind! Had some fun trying to get an in focus shot! Was took at Pennington Flash in Leigh! First time ive been there but what a cracking place it is! My longest lens is a 70-200mm so im going to borrow a 100-400mm and get myself back there soon as its rather local!

Wild by Dacmirc, on Flickr

Hi Lee, I am a bit late in getting to your thread, apologies.

You have made a great start to your 52, I have to say.
I won't add anything to the crit which has already been given as I am a bit late to the game :LOL:
It is obvious to the viewer that in a very short space of time, you've progressed, you mentioned yourself that you are more critical on your images, good work (y)
Cheers iain(y)

Nicely caught gull Lee - nice and sharp, but then it should be at 1/4000 sec... Think you could probably halve that (or double it??) to 1/2000 and still get razor sharp shots.

look forward to seeing some shots with the borrowed lens... hope you get the weather!

I don't use a grey card. I tend to take a meter reading off something green, like grass, which, I'm told is the same as 17% grey.

Zero out the meter, it's shown on this photograph a 'balanced exposure'

Clicky linky

Cheers.

Cheers Andy now i get what you mean!

Cheers for the comments once again, I just set the iso bit higher to get a nice and fast shutter speed because id got a fair few blurry ones before hand. Loving the ISO handling compared to my 60D on the 5D2, roll on getting my tax back so i can get myself a 5D3

Im really enjoying this challenge in its early stages, ive been out much more now that i have something i intend to go out and photograph. I also really like looking through all the photos at the different ideas. The biggest challenge to me is equipment and help (as in a friend to model or hold equipment as the misses is not up for it). It was really windy this weekend at home and my original idea was to go out in the wind with the misses in a long flowy dress and a umberrella that was doctored to blow through! I would have shot it near sunset and lit it with a my flash/brolly at a local lake. Had the idea just no one that was up for shooting it! :(

Cheers again!

wonderful light on the gull.. nice detail and looks great against the blue sky..

like the glasses too.. must try that one day.. think the red glasses are different for this too, works for me!

excellent seagull very sharp and nicely composed and like DK i had a look on flickr :clap:

"Wild" is a nice capture indeed, my only crit is to the gull; he should have been looking at you!

Thanks for the comments, Andy i see what u mean actually! Gutted its not a crop otherwise id be able to add the extra space on the right.

I also agree with your crit, next time i take flight shots ill try to get the bird facing towards me!

Cheers again i like all the little tips to think about in the future really helps!

Where did you find skies that colour at this time of year... is it PP?:D

Nice shot!

Good composition, lovely colour in the sky, and sharp. I really like the light on the gull. :love::clap:

Ha nope i was just lucky i guess! It was a rather windy day cold day though! the sun was coming from the right of the frame. I couldn't really get any other angle without a bit of swimming practice :) and all the birds where just soaring the same way with the wind :(

Cheers for commenting!

Hi Lee

Gravity - imaginative idea and well handled. i like the contrast with the colours of the liquid. it would hve been easy to have all black or all clear but this variation works well. There is a kind of reflection in the middle glass which detracts slightly and the edge of the card has been mentioned but otherwise very good. (y)

Wild - simple, good subject, good colour and focus - agree with Andy about a bit more space to the right

Last edited:

Space by Dacmirc, on Flickr

This is my shot for space, This picture was taken today whilst diving on my little Canon Ixus 110 point and shoot so the quality's not the best but it looks a bit space age to me with the rebreather instead of conventional scuba equipment! hope you like!

That's a great shot Lee in B&W and very original. The rebreather looks pretty space age as you hover quite nicely for the shot. I take it that you're wearing a drysuit with a woolly / fleece! Would be cold, very cold.

Well done, great effort for a great result..

Some people will go to any depths to get a great shot.. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Really night photo for the Space theme, I think you putting up with the cold for a good photo is worth it :)

Very interesting shot and looks a bit like a science fiction space station!

The bottom is annoying me, ill photoshop it this week and try to get rid of that little dangly strap thats been cut slightly.

I agree also a bit more space at the top would have been a bit better.

Well thanks again for all the comments! I really wanted to do something different for a change for the theme. :)

Not the kind of shot I expected to see, and not the kind of shot I've ever really looked at before. A great interpretation, and I'm astonished at the sharpness under the circumstances. The B&W really finishes it off for me.

Back