weekly Posiview's 2013 52. Week 52, Water added TTFN.

Great take on theme, the face shouts gluttony, the 1st one for me just gives that more detail / more in your face. No crit from me :)

Cheers, just finished the cakes I bought for this one :D

Holy ****** Andy, is it a plane? Is it a bird? No its Andy needing wet wipes lol. Makes me laugh!

That's an interesting and very original take on the subject with a really great effort mate. I prefer the second shot, it adds a bit more body and a better angle.

Cheers, seems I made a few people laugh, which is good. Appreciate the FB (y)

Yeah Yuk the face one - that's horrible. In the way you intended I'm sure. (y)

The belly one looks a bit silly to me, is it a joke?

Lol, I have the body of a movie star.....all be it a hairy one :)

Sinister, that's what I was after. Don't think I for what I was really after, though.

I shaved for the thread ;) Unselfconscious indeed. I really don't care what I look like as long as I get the photograph I'm after.

Many thanks all.

Hairy movie star.........hmmmm would that be Lassie? :)

OMG...did Jackie see you like that ???

those images are just sooooo wrong but have given me a much needed giggle..cheers matey :clap: Not sure about the gluttony bit....it's screaming loon to me.....

The belly shot....I'm really hoping that''s some sort of photoshop distortion:LOL:

Hairy movie star.........hmmmm would that be Lassie? :)

Lassie was a star!!

as always quite a comical take to the themes they should not work but they always seem too

well done

Cheers, I was very much after the comical effect.

OMG...did Jackie see you like that ???

those images are just sooooo wrong but have given me a much needed giggle..cheers matey :clap: Not sure about the gluttony bit....it's screaming loon to me.....

The belly shot....I'm really hoping that''s some sort of photoshop distortion:LOL:

Nope, was on my own!

Glad it made you giggle.

Photoshop was involved but not too much :(

I very much prefer the first set; not that there's anything wring with the belly shot, it's just that the 'smear' shot is brilliant. Fantastic facial expression as well.

Cheers, yeah, the second one was very much a joke post

Cheer all.

Well, I've had the house to myself since Thursday so had time to concentrate on photography. Must start to tidy up though :D

I decided to thing inside the box this weekend and stay away from any food stuffs or SP...what do you mean, "Thank goodness!" :D

I'm always keen to refine my stacking technique so when for a very literal approach.

Crit, well, although 13 photographs were stacked here, I've just missed focus on the odd place. Bits on the face couldn't be got at, unfortunately, and I wasn't going to take Jackie's watch apart :bat:

Best viewed in Flickr with black BG (y)

I'd like to say this will be my only submission but I've got Thursday and Friday off work, and I have another idea that may take some time...:D

Cheers all.

Week 8 Time by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Good quick work there for time Andy.
A literal take on the theme as you say but effective nonetheless (y)

A few minor focus issues as you mentioned, I can see a few little areas where focus is a bit fuzzy (technical term ;)) :LOL:
These don't detract at all as overall the whole image is in sharp focus.

It does look good against black on flickr I agree.

Just one small further crit, you've just clipped the minute hand, I feel if this could have been included, perhaps with it pointing into the top left hand corner of the frame this would have nailed it IMHO.

It is only Sunday afterall, I fully expect to see a few more submissions before the week is out :LOL: I would be very worried if you didn't ;)

Hi Andy. Very effective composition although I agree with Iain regarding the minute hand being clipped. Otherwise a good job and submitted early, no-doubt will expect to see your further ideas. Have a good week!

Hi Andy

Time - on theme and good pov and comp.
Don't really understand stacking so not sure what has been achieved by its use. Is it the achievement of good focus through out?

Like the black and silver and agree with others about the crop of the minute and second hand.

Quite a few bits of dust but I know how this feels because I tried to take a shot of a carriage clock recently which looked OK to me until it came on screen and it looked like it had been through a sandstorm!

apart from the minute hand and the few odd fuzzy areas, I think you've done a good job here Andy.

Do you fancy posting up one of the 13 shots so we can see how shallow the DOF was and why it needed stacking (please).

And cloning out the odd speck or mark is fine - I'm not sure I would have tackled getting rid of all of these either, and I think they actually add interest!!

Good quick work there for time Andy.
A literal take on the theme as you say but effective nonetheless (y)

A few minor focus issues as you mentioned, I can see a few little areas where focus is a bit fuzzy (technical term ;)) :LOL:
These don't detract at all as overall the whole image is in sharp focus.

It does look good against black on flickr I agree.

Just one small further crit, you've just clipped the minute hand, I feel if this could have been included, perhaps with it pointing into the top left hand corner of the frame this would have nailed it IMHO.

It is only Sunday afterall, I fully expect to see a few more submissions before the week is out :LOL: I would be very worried if you didn't ;)

Cheers, Iain, bit disapointed with this one for the crit mentioned.

I'm on leave Friday so...might get another one it. If I do, it will be the one I intended to do :D

Great image, agree about clipping the minute hand.

Thanks.

Hi Andy. Very effective composition although I agree with Iain regarding the minute hand being clipped. Otherwise a good job and submitted early, no-doubt will expect to see your further ideas. Have a good week!

Cheers, yeah, sometimes I miss the obvious :bonk:

Hey Andy :)

Gluttony - Who ate all the pies !!! - Superb :LOL:

Time - Hmmmmm... A lot of effort on that I'm sure, but for me it looks too stripy on the lettering, great detail on the rest though (y)

I ate the pies...

Yup lettering is an issue.

Hi Andy

Time - on theme and good pov and comp.
Don't really understand stacking so not sure what has been achieved by its use. Is it the achievement of good focus through out?

Like the black and silver and agree with others about the crop of the minute and second hand.

Quite a few bits of dust but I know how this feels because I tried to take a shot of a carriage clock recently which looked OK to me until it came on screen and it looked like it had been through a sandstorm!

Stacking, yeah, I could close down but less light gets in and with a macro lens it can be an issue.

Very impressive focus stacking. How many shots did you have to take?

Thanks, I think there were around 15 photographs.

apart from the minute hand and the few odd fuzzy areas, I think you've done a good job here Andy.

Do you fancy posting up one of the 13 shots so we can see how shallow the DOF was and why it needed stacking (please).

And cloning out the odd speck or mark is fine - I'm not sure I would have tackled getting rid of all of these either, and I think they actually add interest!!

I'll post one of the single photographs tonight.

Thanks for the feedback all (y)

Missed your thread yesterday all that stacking of images must take a lot of time and effort there are as others have pointed out a few minor issues but as you have said it does look good larger on a black BG

The waves of focus confused the heck out of me until I saw you did focus stacking. Way ahead of my skill level on that one though, so I can hardly crit!

Image-wise though, I love it. Great subject and composition.

I do like that. The stacking gives a reallynice effect. The only tiny bugbear for me is the clipped minute hand.

Missed your thread yesterday all that stacking of images must take a lot of time and effort there are as others have pointed out a few minor issues but as you have said it does look good larger on a black BG

Cheers, took a while which is more disappointed that I missed focus.

Gluttony - faces - like the gleeful look and nicely fits the theme. Stomach, not so keen on the editing on this one, the dark line is just a bit too heavy for my liking

Time - nice close up, as you have mentioned some parts are missing but stacking is not the easiest to get everything in

Yeah, editing is an issue with belly

DITTO!

The belly one, I really like. Fits the theme beautifully and well executed too.

Thanks.

The waves of focus confused the heck out of me until I saw you did focus stacking. Way ahead of my skill level on that one though, so I can hardly crit!

Image-wise though, I love it. Great subject and composition.

Cheers.

I do like that. The stacking gives a reallynice effect. The only tiny bugbear for me is the clipped minute hand.

Yeah, some times I miss the obvious.

well kinda disapointed its not a comical take to the theme but think it looks good must admit dont have a clue what you mean whe you say stacking but what it it is it looks good

I'm not just a one trick pony ;)

That said, I really do need t get out of the house more!!

Cheers all.

Gluttony....The first couple are more looney bin :D the second profile shots are fun, it reminds me of a before and after shot of Christmas Gluttony.

Time.....Focus stacking, heard of it never tried it. The missed focus parts are a little distracting for me sending my eyes wonky and my eyes don't need any help they are bad enough :cool: cool smilie works as blind smilie too

(y)

Gluttony....The first couple are more looney bin :D the second profile shots are fun, it reminds me of a before and after shot of Christmas Gluttony.

Time.....Focus stacking, heard of it never tried it. The missed focus parts are a little distracting for me sending my eyes wonky and my eyes don't need any help they are bad enough :cool: cool smilie works as blind smilie too

(y)

Yeah, I'm a bit miffed at the OOF parts.

Anyway, it's a learning experience :bonk:

Cheers.

Well been planning my Juxtaposition all week. Knew what I was going to do. Took the day off to get it and not sure I did. I was also getting 'the eye' from security so didn't have time to review them.

It's raining here in Leeds and blank, grey sky :bonk: so I might finish my Costa :D and go home to review other's posts, tidy up my hard drive, tidy up the house, peruse the map for the TP Cumbria meet :naughty: and do some macro photography.

BTW, any ideas for the end of project meet :exit:

Cheers all.

Hi Andy,

Gluttony, both made me laugh! You've done well with the focus in the chocolate face, having done similar last year I know what a challenge it is!

Time, I've tried focus stacking, it infuriates me. I get some areas oof but looking through the layers I have those bits in focus the stacking just doesn't work!
I think you've done well here, yes there are areas that are oof but other than that I like the composition. Just curious would it not have worked by stopping down rather than shooting at F5.6? Just thinking?

BTW, any ideas for the end of project meet :exit:
:LOL: I'll be in Cyprus, you're more than welcome out there:)

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

Gluttony, both made me laugh! You've done well with the focus in the chocolate face, having done similar last year I know what a challenge it is!

Time, I've tried focus stacking, it infuriates me. I get some areas oof but looking through the layers I have those bits in focus the stacking just doesn't work!
I think you've done well here, yes there are areas that are oof but other than that I like the composition. Just curious would it not have worked by stopping down rather than shooting at F5.6? Just thinking?

:LOL: I'll be in Cyprus, you're more than welcome out there:)

Cheers, I do like to get a laugh (y)

Yeah, 5.6 may have been better but the DOF on the 105mm is narrow and at f stop.

Cyprus...now there's a though :D

Juxtaposition, well got 4, but not overly happy with any TBH, but had a good (very well/drenched/cold/fun) day with 2 of them.

I'll just post the two here, the other 2 are on my Flickr.

#1 was the idea I had on seeing the theme. I could not get the composition I needed. This was taken outside the oncology department at St James Hospital and I does amaze me that people smoke outside the cancer department :thinking:

Last time I was there I saw an old lady, with a drip, sat on a bench with a 'no smoking' sign on the bench she was sat on. No chance of that this time. ISO 800 @ 160 with my rather cheap 55-200 so the detail on the guy is a bit meh. I did like it that he was smoking and had a mobile phone stuck to his ear :D

#2 was not set up, honest. I just like the simplicity of this one; oh, and the sign is in the back of my car for future use :D

Cheers all.

Week 9 juxtaposition 2 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Week 9 juxtaposition 4 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

of the two I prefer number two

things where they shouldn't be next to the signs (or vice-versa), I wouldn't have thought of that, but it does fit the theme

both photos seem quite noisy to me

2 really good ideas Andy.

#1 - like the comp with the layers of red/ brown (his shoes and base of column) greys and the blue and green. Good capture of elements to demonstrate theme , sign, ciggie and phone. Bloke looks a bit oof and blown face that's all.

#2 - just made me smile. Would have preferred to have seen all of b/g in focus. certainly exemplifies the grey poor weather that we are having.

of the two I prefer number two

things where they shouldn't be next to the signs (or vice-versa), I wouldn't have thought of that, but it does fit the theme

both photos seem quite noisy to me

Cheers. #1 was ISO 800 at 1/80. Bad settings with a resulting noisy and blurry image.

2 really good ideas Andy.

#1 - like the comp with the layers of red/ brown (his shoes and base of column) greys and the blue and green. Good capture of elements to demonstrate theme , sign, ciggie and phone. Bloke looks a bit oof and blown face that's all.

#2 - just made me smile. Would have preferred to have seen all of b/g in focus. certainly exemplifies the grey poor weather that we are having.

Yeah, bad setting with resulting OOF and blown face.

Hi Andy No 2 for me really like the idea maybe just a little to much around it maybe for me

Craig

Cheers. Didn't try different crops.

Hi Andy
#1 was the type/style of image I had in mind when the theme was announced. It is an observational shot which requires timing and a certain degree of luck.
Your own critique aside, it is compositionally very good. Without knowing it was oncology ward, it still works with the position of the sign and the smoker, leaving the viewer to make their own mind up about the location.

#2 again works well too, with your composition spot on. The sign is in 'a clean place' in that it has the river as its back ground making it prominent.

Well spotted on both of these Andy, they are bang on theme and both work well IMHO.

Hmmmm...somehow I missed your time shot...sorry :crying:

I've still not tried focus stacking...you've added your own crit regards the missed bits but it does make for interesting viewing...my eye's are not quite sure whats in focus . The only crit from me as as Iain mentioned, clipped the hands very slightly

Juxtaposition.....surprised that the chap is oof....were you focusing more on the sign ? other than that the only niggle is you've chopped his feet off .

but the winner for Juxtaposition has to be #2...cracking find there matey ...like the DOF, colors in the grass seem very richwhich is a nice contrast to the very obviously grey day :clap:

Both of these shots work with the theme but for me number 1 is what pops into my head when thinking of the theme.

I like the colours of the sign and grass against the cold looking river in #2.

Can't pick between juxtapositions. Theres a seedy, smackheady, chavvy vibe to the first for me, added to by the processing which (in my head) lends it a CCTV look, adding to the dodgy feel. Number 2 is practically Monty Python, but a lovely composition, and the slow DOF fall-off really pulls me through it.

Hi Andy
#1 was the type/style of image I had in mind when the theme was announced. It is an observational shot which requires timing and a certain degree of luck.
Your own critique aside, it is compositionally very good. Without knowing it was oncology ward, it still works with the position of the sign and the smoker, leaving the viewer to make their own mind up about the location.

#2 again works well too, with your composition spot on. The sign is in 'a clean place' in that it has the river as its back ground making it prominent.

Well spotted on both of these Andy, they are bang on theme and both work well IMHO.

Hmmmm...somehow I missed your time shot...sorry :crying:

I've still not tried focus stacking...you've added your own crit regards the missed bits but it does make for interesting viewing...my eye's are not quite sure whats in focus . The only crit from me as as Iain mentioned, clipped the hands very slightly

Juxtaposition.....surprised that the chap is oof....were you focusing more on the sign ? other than that the only niggle is you've chopped his feet off .

but the winner for Juxtaposition has to be #2...cracking find there matey ...like the DOF, colors in the grass seem very richwhich is a nice contrast to the very obviously grey day :clap:

Both of these shots work with the theme but for me number 1 is what pops into my head when thinking of the theme.

I like the colours of the sign and grass against the cold looking river in #2.

I also like #2 but have nothing to add.

Can't pick between juxtapositions. Theres a seedy, smackheady, chavvy vibe to the first for me, added to by the processing which (in my head) lends it a CCTV look, adding to the dodgy feel. Number 2 is practically Monty Python, but a lovely composition, and the slow DOF fall-off really pulls me through it.

Thanks all. To be honest, and I'm not fishing for compliments, I haven't been too happy with my last few posts. We all go through the 'dip' and I'm there now. I'll soon be out off the hole though ;) and with several meets on the horizon and a trip to Whitby this weekend to look forward to hopefully it'll be very soon.

I think one of the reasons is that after posting for 114 weeks on the 52 my expectations are sssoooo high and I really want to produce the goods. Anyway enough rambling, gotta get back to work.

Some cracking photographs submitted by y'all, keep it up.

Cheers.

Back