weekly aljazzeras 2013 52-week 52 WATER added COMPLETE

Wow, certainly a strong if a little dark take on the theme. Great composition, and the overall mood suits the subject well.

What a great minaginary of stuff :)

Love how you have set that shot up... looks great in B&W :clap:

Thanks just another Tuesday night at my house ;)

Nice idea. A lovely dark take on the theme. Can't think of anything I'd change about the shot, except maybe the clipped pill/tab, but fixing that would probably make it look staged, where it has a pretty natural look as it is.

God I miss college!:D

Thanks

Wow, certainly a strong if a little dark take on the theme. Great composition, and the overall mood suits the subject well.

thanks wanted a change from food

Good shot for this weeks theme, doesn't look too staged, a little bit of everything in there. Good details throughout - love the dark feel of it...

Just a bit of an unfortunate reflection from the 'ciggie' above the top line of powder. Can be removed quite quickly - select area to be changed - burn tool to darken it down, then clone some more specks of powder over.

Different take on the theme. Like the use of black and white for this subject.

So Tuesday night is party night in your house? :)

A dark take on the theme Alan but very effective.
It does strongly demonstrate excess. It doesn't look staged, your cropping and composition have seen to that. Good work (y) Iain

Its very effective and well taken. Good detail, B&W adds dimension to it. Well done.

Hi ya

.....flippin heck...given where you work your gluttony shot is the last thing I expected to see....very dark & sinister , really well captured , like everything about it :clap:

Bell tower by allanhowe, on Flickr

A subject I found very dull last year my heart sank when I saw the subject again, anyway this is the bell tower at Chester Cathedral there is no clock face it just chimes every 15 minutes different chimes obviously.

this is all I can do have no inspiration so unless at some point in the week something comes to mind this is all you are getting

Last edited:
sorry you feel that way about this one Allan..

anyway, at first look I found plenty to not like, converging verticals, blown sky, branches coming into shot...

but I kept looking (which must be a good sign), and I actually quite like it. It's a bit quirky, an interesting perspective, and those large expanses of plain tile draw the eye up.

I would erase the branches to the left though if it were mine.

sorry you feel that way about this one Allan..

anyway, at first look I found plenty to not like, converging verticals, blown sky, branches coming into shot...

but I kept looking (which must be a good sign), and I actually quite like it. It's a bit quirky, an interesting perspective, and those large expanses of plain tile draw the eye up.

I would erase the branches to the left though if it were mine.

There are were 2 or 3 subjects which I disliked last year its just one of those things.
Thanks for looking in i did want the converging verticals as it such a dull building on its own and situated in a place where there are so many BG problems from which ever angle you take the picture from, so the wide angle lens added a bit of interest.
I did try and bring the sky back a bit but there was a really visible halo around the tower so left it alone.
will try and get rid of the branches (y)

Hi, Allan, there have been worse 1,000th posts (y)

Like the perspective and B&W works well. Branches could be cleaned up, should you wish.

I'm sure you'll bounce back (y)

Really interesting building, great conversion and for me personally I kinda quite like the branches, they sort of soften the image up and lead you into the building.

Obviously a good take on a difficult theme for you Allan (y)

Gluttony - quite an educational photo there :) I think I'd have added a bit more light on the left side.

Time - shame about the sky, and I fear that your lack of inspiration is coming through in the photo - sorry. It's not doing much for me. It's not to late to do a reshoot, the rest of your 52 is really excellent, don't lose it now... :)

Nicely done. The angle and perspective make it quite interesting, as does the back story. Good photo. :)

You can't like them all!

I like the shot though. The perspective and close crop gives it a nice sense of size, and it's an interesting building to look at... unusual style. It'd be twice as good with a bit of decent sky behind it, but there's nothing you can do about that at this time of year.

Can't add anything to what yourself and others have said above Allan, but it ticks the box, its in on time and with your explanation, fits the theme.

Onwards and upwards I say, roll on tomorrows new theme eh? Iain

Gluttony.....I understand the thought behind the shot but it looks a little to busy/staged for me. I thing a wider shot with them being spread about a little more may have worked.

Time..........It's an interesting shot on it's own especially at 10mm, but needs the explanation to fit the theme.

(y)

feather by allanhowe, on Flickr

nice theme this week though difficult to pin down I have this definition to work with

juxtaposition
noun
the fact of two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect:

Last edited:
Have to admit to being a bit stumped initially with this theme too!

My first thought was that there's only one thing in your shot. But then consider you've placed a soft, light, feather, against a hard, heavy concrete background there is a juxtathingy there.

And there's plenty of detail and texture in both the concrete and the feather. (y)

Wonder if you could have gone a bit brighter overall?

Hi Allan

Time - don't get the link to theme without the expalanation. Good angle and good focus but sky lets it down IMO.

Juxtaposition - on theme for me. Fair detail and a good contrast. May be a bit better if more of the b/g was showing in context i.e. is it a stone flag, a wall - even aclose up of tree bark. For me that woule inform the theme better.

Nice shot and on theme ( as much as i understand it!) for me too.

Have to admit to being a bit stumped initially with this theme too!

My first thought was that there's only one thing in your shot. But then consider you've placed a soft, light, feather, against a hard, heavy concrete background there is a juxtathingy there.

And there's plenty of detail and texture in both the concrete and the feather. (y)

Wonder if you could have gone a bit brighter overall?

thanks for looking in its a bit of a loose connection i know

Hi Allan

Time - don't get the link to theme without the expalanation. Good angle and good focus but sky lets it down IMO.

Juxtaposition - on theme for me. Fair detail and a good contrast. May be a bit better if more of the b/g was showing in context i.e. is it a stone flag, a wall - even aclose up of tree bark. For me that woule inform the theme better.

I see what you mean about showing the BG but I am still looking around for another try thanks for looking in

Hi ya :wave:

Loe the detail in both the feather & the BG...nicely muted colors & textures on the BG..is it concrete or a wall ?Like the angle for the feather as well....re-reading the google definition of Juxtaposition I think it's bang on theme as well (y)

I'd have never got the connection to the theme if no one had posted it, but then I've never been that bright!

I like the shot for it's own sake though, and a simple, sharp, contrasty composition. Nice.

Hi ya :wave:

Loe the detail in both the feather & the BG...nicely muted colors & textures on the BG..is it concrete or a wall ?Like the angle for the feather as well....re-reading the google definition of Juxtaposition I think it's bang on theme as well (y)

Thanks its on concrete by the way

I'd have never got the connection to the theme if no one had posted it, but then I've never been that bright!

I like the shot for it's own sake though, and a simple, sharp, contrasty composition. Nice.

thanks a lot

I must confess I did not get the feather image at all so glad to see the new photo.

Very interesting comparisons but it looks very slightly off square but that could be my iPad .

Hi Allan

juxta #2 - that is an excellent shot for the theme. Clear distinction between the 2 buildings to illuminate the theme. Well handled exposure with the different tones. You have also shot it in a way that illustrates the architect's thinking in the new build, with the horizontal split into thirds and the long and narrow vertical panels and spaces to reflect the older building. Also I like the inclusion of the inscription 'Fountain of Life' with the redelopment taking place next door. Looks a bit brutal tho :D

letter 2 by allanhowe, on Flickr

not quite what i was expecting didn't really want the shadows but they add a bit of depth i think. A very litteral interpretation i know but as i spent a couple of hours making cubes i thought i would put it in.

Last edited:
Great shot, personally would prefer everything in focus, or maybe just the L of letter. Also quite bright towards the upper right and has me squinting. Nice early shot Allan.

I like number 2 for juxtaposition Allan, it has a bold graphic/contrasty feel to it, which I feel you could have pushed the contrast even further on but that might just be to my taste.

Letter, nice early submission (y)
A very literal take but effective nonetheless.
I like the high key look to it, again I think the contrast could be pushed a little more too. I do like the recession front to back with the letters and unless you focus stack it would be difficult to have all the letters in focus I would assume or maybe a longer view and crop.
Having said that, I don't think it really needs all letters in focus, as the viewer can read the word :D

Great shot, personally would prefer everything in focus, or maybe just the L of letter. Also quite bright towards the upper right and has me squinting. Nice early shot Allan.

I was trying just to get the first letter in focus the brightness was also deliberate but maybe not quite that bright

I like number 2 for juxtaposition Allan, it has a bold graphic/contrasty feel to it, which I feel you could have pushed the contrast even further on but that might just be to my taste.

Letter, nice early submission (y)
A very literal take but effective nonetheless.
I like the high key look to it, again I think the contrast could be pushed a little more too. I do like the recession front to back with the letters and unless you focus stack it would be difficult to have all the letters in focus I would assume or maybe a longer view and crop.
Having said that, I don't think it really needs all letters in focus, as the viewer can read the word :D

Thanks i was going for the out of focus look as i was trying for just one letter as per the theme

Hi Allan

Letter - good quick submission. Like the idea - effective. (y)

I like the recession too and agree that more contrast may help just to define the rear cubes a bit better. Also, my really first thought was that maybe the pov was just a bit too high :thinking:

you might be right about the POV looking at it with fresh eyes I did it late last night after a day of decorating and laying a carpet

Back