weekly aljazzeras 2013 52-week 52 WATER added COMPLETE

Hi Allan, I like your wide open space, that low angle foreground really draws the eye in. I can imagine that framed and on the wall but would want to keep all the sky but squish it down a bit if I did

You lego men look as if they are floating so why not redo this and show the head of the missing one way down below the others as if he had dropped out :)

Love the beach shot, feels - well - spacious! I'm always more in awe of the sky than the land so this is right up my street. (y) Super depth of field btw, did you focus stack it?

Lego, I do not understand the lego phenomena. :shrug: I know lots of people do it, but it's not for me. Someone more educated in the ways of the modern world would appreciate it I'm sure. :D

Hi Allan, I like your wide open space, that low angle foreground really draws the eye in. I can imagine that framed and on the wall but would want to keep all the sky but squish it down a bit if I did

You lego men look as if they are floating so why not redo this and show the head of the missing one way down below the others as if he had dropped out :)

thanks nice idea about lego men but I have done with it for now

Love the beach shot, feels - well - spacious! I'm always more in awe of the sky than the land so this is right up my street. (y) Super depth of field btw, did you focus stack it?

Lego, I do not understand the lego phenomena. :shrug: I know lots of people do it, but it's not for me. Someone more educated in the ways of the modern world would appreciate it I'm sure. :D

thanks its not focused stacked it was taken on a 10-20mm lens you tend to get good DoF
Not a lego fan myself someone gave me these in the week so I thought I might use them for a very poor joke

Liking the beach shot for this weeks theme - great how you managed to find little foreground interests in a beach of "nothing", and similar for the sky, interesting clouds, in a wide open space of sky.

Limited time, I'm afraid, so quick comments...

Space #1 for me. Liking the low angle and colours. The detail is great and the small pebbles pushed towards the RH side is to my liking.

Cheers.

Hi Allan

Wild - thoroughly excellent. Super comp with the space to look into, capture of good detail of an intelligent, watching gaze. Great colour for me and good b/g. Can't fault it

Space - similar to an idea that I had so must be (y). Still might do mine if i get the chance because I envisaged a different 'feel'. Good comp, colour and detail. Like the pebbles in the foreground and the daigonal clouds.

I think that's a fabulous composition with the light and colour contrast. It certainly does give the wide open space theme. A good job!

Hi Allan

Space...lovely low POV , fab detail in sky, pebbles & water (y)

Apologies Allan, I haven't commented for a couple of weeks, a bit of a catch up i'm afraid.
Wild, bang on theme for me. I don't particularly like zoos but can see the ethos behind them but thats not a discussion for your thread. Back to topic.

Its a great capture of a magnificent wild animal. Its well lit and the detail you've brought out in its fur is perfect. Strong composition too. Faultless (y)

Space, again bang on theme. I like your processing on this, the contrasty feel suits the subject. Compositionally, I like the diagonals in both the clouds and the pebbles. The layer effect, sand, sea and sky work well too.

Great work all round Allan (y) Iain

Wild......Not seen many of these roaming round in the great wilderness of England :D still a nice capture.

Space....I think some times shooting this wide the camera needs to be a little higher as the main focus to me is the fore ground although there is plenty of space in the distance.

(y)

Chester Cathedral by allanhowe, on Flickr

This is where I work, its a view most people won't ever see as the triforium it was taken from is not accessible to the public. Not the picture I was after as I didn't have a tripod with me so I had to balance the camera on a ledge. It turned out ok though, I think:thinking:

You work in there :bat:

Looks like an amazing place. You've done well. I like the high angle and it has a nice feel to it (not to word I'm I like the line figure at the far side.

Seems to be leaning ever so slightly to the left :thinking:

Cheers and I'll,be back in my sterile office tomorrow :shake:

Really like this shot, well done

Very impressive building too

I wonder if some subtle HDR would have helped to darker areas in particular...every time a see a shot I think I might try HDR I screw it up though, so wing I need to work on!

Last edited:
Fantastic effort with no tripod Allan, think you might have been slightly left of centre when you took this (but there was probably a pillar dead centre). The centre aisle is heading off left too.

I love a bit of HDR, and this would be a prime candidate for some. But, overall, the shot is pretty awesome already, (would have also worked for space too :LOL:)

Lovely shot Allan, and what a privilege to work there. I wouldn't do anything wiht the dark areas, especially not HDR; they add to the magic. The only thing going against this, for me, is the set of cables going across the forgeround. Would it work better with them cropped off? They're just out of charcter with the rest of the building.

You work in there :bat:

Looks like an amazing place. You've done well. I like the high angle and it has a nice feel to it (not to word I'm I like the line figure at the far side.

Seems to be leaning ever so slightly to the left :thinking:

Cheers and I'll,be back in my sterile office tomorrow :shake:

Thanks

Really like this shot, well done

Very impressive building too

I wonder if some subtle HDR would have helped to darker areas in particular...every time a see a shot I think I might try HDR I screw it up though, so wing I need to work on!

Not too keen on HDR myself but I do see what you mean, the place is a nightmare lighting wise on a full shot there are extremes of light and dark.

Fantastic effort with no tripod Allan, think you might have been slightly left of centre when you took this (but there was probably a pillar dead centre). The centre aisle is heading off left too.

I love a bit of HDR, and this would be a prime candidate for some. But, overall, the shot is pretty awesome already, (would have also worked for space too :LOL:)

Thanks It was as central as i could get it, will go back to it one day with a tripod and though I am not overly keen on HDR might give it a go sometime

Really like this shot, points as picked up by the others.

Thanks

Lovely shot Allan, and what a privilege to work there. I wouldn't do anything wiht the dark areas, especially not HDR; they add to the magic. The only thing going against this, for me, is the set of cables going across the forgeround. Would it work better with them cropped off? They're just out of charcter with the rest of the building.

Thanks Chris I deliberated for a long time about the crop because of the cables I left them in because they cut across the Quire (thats how it's spelt) and it looked odd to me I suppose because i know the building, if I had the tripod with me i would have gained some more hight and managed to shoot over the top of them. will try again sometime.

I spent this afternoon playing about with HDR on images i took at winchester cathedral. The mode in cs6 gives a good neutral image and the photographic preset in hdr efex is very good indeed. You would not know its HDR

A quick straighten and verticle correction in photoshop would be useful and 2 min job

Liverpool and Chester cathedrals makes a very inviting 2 day outing

Last edited:
Hi Allan, Sorry I've taken so long to get here! Here goes:

Sin, I love this, it screams sin. I think I prefer the darker original shot, it adds to the theme :clap:

Season, another superb shot :clap: I had a few failed attempts at trying to get a stacked shot of my confused daffodils that grew in the warm spell before we got snow. You have achieved it here, love the DOF too (y)

Gravity, I like the little yellow guys falling. Perhaps a little bit of movement as they dropped would have helped. The water droplet is excellent for your second attempt :clap: I love the lighting, it looks like it could be on a pond (ignoring the little reflections) My only crit would be to give it a tiny crop off the top where the background has a grey line on it. I'd also like to see all the circle surrounding the droplet, but that can be a separate challenge in itself!

Wild, just superb:clap: The sharp detail in her fur and face contrasts nicely against the background. Love that you can see just enough of her face to see her nice pink nose (y)

Space, it's definitely wide open. Lovely and sharp throughout, beautiful blue sky too, thoughts of summer drifting through my head now :)

Work, wow the detail is amazing. Nice straight vertical lines, rear symmetry and the starbursts add a nice touch too. Good job without a tripod :clap: I'm curious but what do you do there?

Well I'm all caught up, some fabulous work so far :)

My first thoughts was wow! Beautiful shot, only thing that bugs me is the cables at the front.

Hi Allan, WOW great shot, the thing for me is how it draws your eyes to the stained glass window,

Great shot, and beautiful building... Just needs a very slight tweak to make it straight.

Must be a wonderful place to work. (y)

What a fantastic photo of a fantastic building. Only issue would be the cables already mentioned, but that's a small thing.

Lovely shot with very subtle tones and great amounts of detail, so much to look at.

What a stunning place to work Allan.

You have captured all the detail in there without HDR, good skills.
the person on the ground floor really adds a sense of scale to the scene.

Again, great work. Iain

Nice idea. A lovely dark take on the theme. Can't think of anything I'd change about the shot, except maybe the clipped pill/tab, but fixing that would probably make it look staged, where it has a pretty natural look as it is.

God I miss college!:D

Back