weekly aljazzeras 2013 52-week 52 WATER added COMPLETE

Not an entry just an observation while looking for ideas for sin I found out that In Christian art Envy is depicted as a human with a dogs head, I work for a Cathedral and looked up today at one of the grotesques and what did I see :eek:

It's even green with envy!

It's all been said, great colours on your subject. I was just going to say the foreground needed tweaking, but you got there already :)

Buds by allanhowe, on Flickr

Buds signify a change in season and with the touch of frost it also suggests winter at least thats what I am telling myself

Last edited:
certainly looks wintery to me!.. excellent focus and like the muted background tones

Hi Allan

was hoping to do a similar shot myself this morning....just one problem...no frost !

Love the DOF...the muted colors really make the buds stand out , good detail in the buds & the frost ...(y) I may have been tempted to crop to just above the off bud as it draws my eye slightly ?

Hi, Allan, Season, yup, works for me. Cracking OOF BG that isolates the plant. Sprinkling of frost, nice, muted, wintery colours.

Having the lower bud in focus is my only uber crit.

Cheers.

Really like the isolation of this with lovely background being so OOF.

Well done, a great effort (y)

Great dof, like the colours too. Has a nice cold feel to it which makes me think of winter.

Nice colours. Gives a good impression of the season and the coming spring season.

Bang on topic and beautifully done. I like the muted colours in the background, and the detail on the frost is nice and sharp. As for crit, I'm struggling....you could try flipping it horizontally, the eye reads from left to right so it's sometimes better having the extra space to the right of the subject. Grasping for straws really.

Great DOF and colours. Really good shot and well in theme.

certainly looks wintery to me!.. excellent focus and like the muted background tones

Hi Allan

was hoping to do a similar shot myself this morning....just one problem...no frost !

Love the DOF...the muted colors really make the buds stand out , good detail in the buds & the frost ...(y) I may have been tempted to crop to just above the off bud as it draws my eye slightly ?

Hi, Allan, Season, yup, works for me. Cracking OOF BG that isolates the plant. Sprinkling of frost, nice, muted, wintery colours.

Having the lower bud in focus is my only uber crit.

Cheers.

Really like the isolation of this with lovely background being so OOF.

Well done, a great effort (y)

Hey Allan :)

Season - what a great background, lovely focus and pastel wintry colours - Excellent (y)

As above. DoF, background and colours really make this pop.

Great dof, like the colours too. Has a nice cold feel to it which makes me think of winter.

Nice colours. Gives a good impression of the season and the coming spring season.

Bang on topic and beautifully done. I like the muted colours in the background, and the detail on the frost is nice and sharp. As for crit, I'm struggling....you could try flipping it horizontally, the eye reads from left to right so it's sometimes better having the extra space to the right of the subject. Grasping for straws really.

Nice simple photo that captures the theme nicely.

Good colours and nice dof.

Great DOF and colours. Really good shot and well in theme.

Thank you all for the nice comments and have taken the minor bits of crit on board :)

Lovely!

The colours are perfectly seasonal, and the frost just sets it off.

Think shots like that sum up the season sooo well - the cold spell, followed by the mild spell tempting all the buds and bulbs into thinking spring is coming, not knowing that there's another cold spell a'coming.

Beautiful take, and as has been said - the lower bulb is the only "possible" negative I could have - but the positive FAR outweighs the negative. (y)

I can only agree with above, nice backgroung showing the detail very nicely
On topic, nice shot, good effort (y)

Think shots like that sum up the season sooo well - the cold spell, followed by the mild spell tempting all the buds and bulbs into thinking spring is coming, not knowing that there's another cold spell a'coming.

Beautiful take, and as has been said - the lower bulb is the only "possible" negative I could have - but the positive FAR outweighs the negative. (y)

+1

Lovely!

The colours are perfectly seasonal, and the frost just sets it off.

I can only agree with above, nice backgroung showing the detail very nicely
On topic, nice shot, good effort (y)

thanks

Hi, very fond of week one, probably my favourite shot of this take on the theme. Great DOF for week 2.

I do like the colours and shallow dof this week. Just needs a tad more frost for me :)

Love the tones, composition and depth of field on this one - nice work!

Like it :)

I'm not sure I agree about cropping close at the top, I actually like that my eyes are drawn to the upper part. Or is that just me?

falling edit by allanhowe, on Flickr

This took a while to catch the stupid yellow things falling, not really happy with it so had another go......

Edited to remove white speck

water drop (edit) by allanhowe, on Flickr

bit more obvious, not really sure I like this one either only the second time I have attempted water drops.

water drops edited from original to clean it up a little

Last edited:
Two crackers there. #1, well composed and just the right number in the photograph. Nice shadows in the pile on the surface and the smiling face of the falling one is great. A few Small white dots near the top and highlights on the things. Never easy to sort this out in camera or post.

#2, only second time you've come this....:shrug: very sharp and nice symmetry. Perhaps a bright BG may have given it some pop.

Good show.

Cheers.

Both great,and I love the water drop, but there's s little shard of light just to the right of the drop, just inside the ripple that draws my eye a bit. I only mention it because I'm a bit jealous!

Good water drop pic, cracking for a second time. I like the men falling just something about it.

Hi Allan :)

1) Like it... made me smile (or was that the vodka :cautious:) a couple of tiny spots could do with cloning out, but liking the Bright yellow against the Black (y)

2) Love water drops, and this is no exception, very well caught mate, only crit for me would to be clone in the big drop the dark bit to loose the picture ??

Couple of great ones (y)

Hi Alan,
Good work rate on this weeks theme, posting a couple up on the first day, the Posiview fella has a bit of competition ;)

I like them both, #1 a fun take on the theme which as has been mentioned I think needs a little more light but other than that (y)

#2 technically very good, nice and sharp but again as mentioned maybe a different background just to make it pop even more.

all round good work though (y) Iain

Two crackers there. #1, well composed and just the right number in the photograph. Nice shadows in the pile on the surface and the smiling face of the falling one is great. A few Small white dots near the top and highlights on the things. Never easy to sort this out in camera or post.

#2, only second time you've come this....:shrug: very sharp and nice symmetry. Perhaps a bright BG may have given it some pop.

Good show.

Cheers.

Thanks I tried to get rid of the highlight couldn't do it, didnt think about BG was just trying to get a sharp pic will definitely think about that next time

I like both of these, #1 in particular...perhaps it could be a tad brighter but I like it as it it

I should have used something to reflect the flash but i ran out of hands :LOL:

I like the idea of the falling men but it's a little dark, the water shots lovely.

Thanks

Both great,and I love the water drop, but there's s little shard of light just to the right of the drop, just inside the ripple that draws my eye a bit. I only mention it because I'm a bit jealous!

I did think about cloning it out but as it was there and a natural part of the water I left it in

have re edited the pic

Good water drop pic, cracking for a second time. I like the men falling just something about it.

Thank you

Hi Allan :)

1) Like it... made me smile (or was that the vodka :cautious:) a couple of tiny spots could do with cloning out, but liking the Bright yellow against the Black (y)

2) Love water drops, and this is no exception, very well caught mate, only crit for me would to be clone in the big drop the dark bit to loose the picture ??

Couple of great ones (y)

Its great vodka isn't it :D

Hi Alan,
Good work rate on this weeks theme, posting a couple up on the first day, the Posiview fella has a bit of competition ;)

I like them both, #1 a fun take on the theme which as has been mentioned I think needs a little more light but other than that (y)

#2 technically very good, nice and sharp but again as mentioned maybe a different background just to make it pop even more.

all round good work though (y) Iain

thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
I love the raining smiley men :D As others have said, a touch lighter and it would be perfect.

I have never tried water drops, so no critique from me there, but just to say I think the symmetry is great, and I like the light background, as it has a silvery feel, you would have to go almost entirely the other way with a really vivid blue to improve this background IMHO.

Great work on both pics Allan! (y)

Thanks

I love the raining smiley men :D As others have said, a touch lighter and it would be perfect.

I have never tried water drops, so no critique from me there, but just to say I think the symmetry is great, and I like the light background, as it has a silvery feel, you would have to go almost entirely the other way with a really vivid blue to improve this background IMHO.

THank you I could alter the WB to make it blue, I did try, but preferred this one

I really like the first shot its spot on themewise and nothing to say that hasnt been said!

Water drop is great I've tried it and it didn't turn out as well as this so well done!

Back