weekly ams99 - 52 Challenge - Week 52 Water

Love the detail in the stamps.

Electric, good literal take and good framing, the wires lead you around in there :)

'ello, as Iain says, a good literal approach.

Nice detail and overall lighting. Crit, well, maybe my laptop, but I feel it could do with a bit of a boost to the colours/contrast.

Cheers.

Week 12 - Direction.

Lesson learned for this week: Walking around a ring road taking pictures of roadsigns made me feel like the care in the community bus was one short!

DSC_8912_edited-2_zps6fbdcddb.jpg

DSC_8926_edited-4_zps4526a756.jpg

DSC_8933_edited-1_zps8b177096.jpg

Quick of the mark this week, and great take on the theme on all three, (was thing about a version of No2 for my theme this week)

No2 take it for me, it has all the elements of needing to go somewhere

I actually like all three, not sure though which one between 1 and 2 gets my vote maybe 1 as I am sure there will be a few signposts this week

Number one for me, as it's so odd and shouts so much!

Number one is a great spot, I'd have walk past it and never noticed. The only thing that gives me any difficulty is the variation in upright angles... I look at one upright and the pic is straight... I look at another and it isn't. More down to shoddy contractors than you though!

I really like the way you've caught the repeat of the same schematic on the 2 signs in number 2, and the fact that the bleakness of the day almost masks the selective colour.

Really nice DOF and colours in number 3.

Week 13 - Tacky

Three words sprang to mind ...... Teenage, Daughter and Bedroom!

DSC_9040-1_zps2019b469.jpg

DSC_9058-1_zpse6787852.jpg

Decided to obliterate with flash! For some bizarre reason this is the one i preferred. Totally tacky

DSC_9049-1_zps323daeb1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi ya :wave:

Direction... 3 great shots to choose from...my vote goes to...#3...love the shallow dof, pov & Straight being in focus (y)

Tacky.....I'm really starting to think I need to hire a child for this theme....spot on for the theme x 3... for the simplicity of the shot I'm going with #1.......having said that Ms Minaj's eyelashes are also befitting of the theme :eek:

you do realise ....if your daughter see's the theme you've used these shots for that you're gonna be in mahoooosive trouble :LOL:

Hi Alan :)

I'm preferring the first shot myself... but would have liked to see the bottom of the frames, you have caught them very well, and I like the background against the bold glasses (y)

Could do with a gap between each shot too... as they seem to merge together :)

Hi Allan :wave:

Direction: I like this shot with the tiers, foreground, steps and background. The coloured signs and signpost frame add a contrast to the snow. The angle is very well taken.

Tacky: Spot on theme and simple idea. Well executed.

The middle of the three shots for tacky is the only one that works for me, he others do work but only to re-inforce this middle one.

The poster, the pink, the giant lipsticks, the glasses....... all working to create a vision of tackiness!!

the first direction shot is a real winner for me, of the tacky ones definitely the middle one - bet your daughter will be a tad upset with you mind !

2nd tacky shot works best for me also there is more in the picture the last one just looks like something has gone wrong

Like the second 'tacky' picture. Lots in it. Might have been tempted to remove two white marks on wall. Can I see you in reflection? :)
Brave man going into daughters bedroom. I try not to go into my daughters room!

Week 14 - Value

I'm afraid this was one of those weekends when good images simply refused to enter my lens. I'm putting it down to having a budget value entry level camera...... and Ken Rockwell will never convince me otherwise :D

DSC_9831-1_zpsbc590287.jpg

DSC_9449_edited-1_zpsd4b6f0c1.jpg

Roll on next weeks theme :wave:

nice detail on the coins and the lighting is good, cant say that £7.50 to watch Rushall Olympic F.C represents any value at all :D

I keep coming back to Tacky #1, love the low angle, and the simplicity of the subject. I think the shades are tacky enough without the reinforcement of the other articles. The light and reflections in #2 and #3 are a bit distracting for me, plus anything with that creature in it makes me want to look away!:D

I really like Value #1 too, the sharpness and detail lifts it from the ordinary.

definately a vote for the coins... really great detail on these... what lens and how much of a crop would be my only questions??

See - for me - #1 is a photograph, #2 is a snapshot and your submission would have been stronger without it.

So I'm going for #1. Nice detail, odd composition... kind of dirty... even a bit provocative perhaps? :thinking:

(y)

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Certainly something for me to think about.
I like the photograph Vs snapshot comment from Brian. That has definitely got me thinking (y)

For the coins i used the 90mm Tamron lens with a crop of around 50%

Thanks,
Alan

Had a look through the last page, and Tacky really stands out for me. My wife did an iPhone panorama of our #2's bedroom last week and the only word to describe that would be "bomb site".

Also like the head alignment on the coins in "Value" though I wonder if a B&W conversion might work better. Just a thought!

Ian.

Value: Really like the coin one, great details.

Greed: Is it my eyesight or is the trojan a bit oof? Great textures in this.

people do have a greed for labels so bang on theme for me, its like some kind of national flag, not sure also if the trojan label is perfectly in focus I think it may be the material thats confusing my eyes

I had the same issues with Trojan Lisa / Allan and re-took the image several times all with the same result. Ive even had a magnifying glass over the logo and concluded that the excess stitching from the letters creates an out of focus look.

That's my excuse anyway :D

Last edited:
Back