weekly ams99 - 52 Challenge - Week 52 Water

Week 5 - Space

Or empty space which means i'm running out of beer!

DSC_8192-2_zps94e7739e.jpg

Alan Crisis time lol! Great shot, depth, colour, light and obviously empty space.

Well thought out and original.

Nice framing and rather abstract lighting effects, although I couldn't work out the link to space without your explanation (but then, I'm not that keen on lager ;-). Good shot.

I have got no idea what it is in.......
It's the inside of the cellophane the cans came in, looking through the end - showing 7 missing cans...

Very Clever... being picky I'd had liked the can straight on, but nicely lit, good focus and a great idea (y)

Last edited:
I do like that, both the idea and the execution. I love the lighting through the wrapper.

Haha, I had to look at it a couple of times before I got it! :LOL:

Great focus on the can :D

so you weren't happy with your "wild" shots, I think you've more than made up for them this week.

Cracking space, fantastically novel idea, love the way the last can is huddled in the back corner. And absolutely love the light coming through the plastic wrapper.

I was just about to join DK, and say make it straight - but it actually is, (I checked). Must be some illusion that says it isn't. (y)

Thank you for your positive comments. It certainly cheered me up after my feeble efforts for week 4.

I'm really starting to understand how difficult it is to produce some of the images you guys do. It's obviously something for me to aspire to and i hope one day to be able to produce such fantastic images myself.

I'm at the bottom of a very steep learning curve.

Thanks all,

Alan

Thank you for your positive comments. It certainly cheered me up after my feeble efforts for week 4.

I'm really starting to understand how difficult it is to produce some of the images you guys do. It's obviously something for me to aspire to and i hope one day to be able to produce such fantastic images myself.

I'm at the bottom of a very steep learning curve.

Thanks all,

Alan

Hi, Alan, trust me, you will improve. If you're interested, this was the first post in my 2011 52 eeekkkk! Clicky linky

Week 6 - Work.
This is an initial effort although i'm going to try and do better in the week with another idea i have.

I'm amazed at the difference a lens makes. I get completely different results between my kit zooms and 35mm. The focal length makes a big difference to the background with a given f.stop. Hey ho!

DSC_8238-1_edited-2_zpsf146ee42.jpg

Like it. The colours are great as is the close composition. You've handled the light well and it's nice and sharp.

No crit from me on this one.

Chests.

Can't fault that. The colours in the bits, and the debris on them. Beautifully sharp too!(y)

Thanks guys. I'm really looking forward to next week as ive just ordered some stuff to take my flash off camera. Hopefully i'll be able to experiment and get some of the excellent backgrounds you chaps produce.

Ive learned so much in just the few weeks ive been doing this 52. Far more in fact than just shooting football for the last 12 months.

What a great challenge and web site

great colours and sharpness - was this with the 35/1.8 ? I love this little lens !

I can't fault it either. Sharp, great colours and nicely done!

Hi Alan

fab shot for Work ...brilliant detail , great lighting & colors...no crit from me...you've done fab with this image :clap:

Gluttony .....great lighting again , just a mere hint of shadow round the top of the box which adds a bit of depth , lovely colors..like it mister (y)

Like the image - good colours, contrast, and the fact that someone has obviously been none too careful when picking up the chocolates (gives the impression they are gorging themselves) :)

The only criticism is there is a slight shadow to the upper right side of the box. This could have been removed, or at least the line that separates the shadow from the background with full light could have been smoothed.

Good effort :)

Thanks for the feedback. This was my first attempt at off camera flash (my shoot through brolly hasn't arrived yet!) and as you have rightly pointed out it causes shadows....... i never noticed it when i took it which shows how observant i am!

Great idea to remove it which is now going to be a challenge and a half for me. Yikes!!

Thanks for the feedback.

ams99 said:
Thanks for the feedback. This was my first attempt at off camera flash (my shoot through brolly hasn't arrived yet!) and as you have rightly pointed out it causes shadows....... i never noticed it when i took it which shows how observant i am!

Great idea to remove it which is now going to be a challenge and a half for me. Yikes!!

Thanks for the feedback.

I am soon to be in the same boat. I have just bought myself a YN560 (which arrived 3 days ago). Going to have to learn a whole load of new photography!

ams99 said:
Actually, if i left the flash on camera and bounced i probably wouldn't have had the shadows!! LMAO...live and learn :)

P.s with such a small shadow (it is only very slight) on a flat background, you could remove PP easily enough. It would take 10 ,minutes with the dodge or blur tools :)

Thanks for that mate. I will have fun a little later and will hopefully post the mess i make :)

PS Ive got the YN465.

One issue i have is that because i bought a cheap collection of bits n bobs from Amazon to create off camera flash the lead (allegedly 3 metres) is coiled and as a result it pulls over the lightstand at anything over a metre distance.

Still, should be ok for me to play around with!

Yikes . More cakes. But very good shot Alan. I have no idea how to shoot indoors I get shadows everywhere.

Great colours. Top shot

Back