weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2013 Weeks 50,51 and 52, Fantasy, Fit and Water added - P&BD and Finished

Week 11 Electric

2 efforts cos i did not know what to do. #1 is the cleanest, most simple, being basically a silhouette. #2 was originally my first choice image, being a building which I like. It is art deco design and based on an ocean liner with bridge, funnel etc and quite hard to shoot with all of the signs, wires, lamps etc about. But lit up at night some of the detritus does not show and the lights make it a good shot for the theme IMO. Probably still not nailed it but my best effort of a large part of the building to date

Electric #1

DSC_3717 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Electric #2

DSC_3668 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

I am undecided on which one gets my vote for electric Alan, I really like both for differing reasons.

#1 for its simplicity, sharp silhouette and the graphic, linear feel to it. The con trail echoing the direction of the leading lines is a nice touch too.

#2 Again a simple take but I particularly like the subtle blue colour tones in the sky with the bright lights against it.

Direction, well caught/timed, great sense of movement in there. A well executed piece of photography (y)

Thanks Iain
I have exactly the same feelings about the 2 electric shots. I quite like taking shot with context and so the wholeness of the Pleasure Beach building appeals to me but getting the right pov is difficult. I too like the colours of the whole shot.

PS - how do you get that little montage of 4 shots below your sig? You and others do this and i think it quite effective, partic as you change it periodically.

Last edited:
It's a link to my Flickr photo stream Alan.
If you search on here for Flickr signature it shows how to incorporate it.

It changes as you add more photographs to Flickr, those are the latest uploads.

I think the first shot for electric for me its a nice silhouette, love the movement in direction but the traffic lights spoil it a bit probably unavoidable

Thanks Allan

On Direction I could probably have moved to right and got a decent shot but my intention was to get the warning sign more or less central to emphasise the 'both ways' indication and the inclusion of the traffic lights, for me, was another way of adding to the theme. So it was deliberate - but I can understand that you might consider it as a distraction.

:clap: OMG I think your direction shot is MEGA PRO. :clap:

Congrats, I bet you're chuffed to bits with that (I would be).

Hi, Alan, nice catchup :clap:

Electric, #2 is a good interpretation, but #1 gets it for me. I like the silhouette and the contrast between the clean lines of the tram and the clouds.

Direction, yip, well exposed, nice low perspective and just the right amount of motion blur. I rather like the central positioning of the blue sign. No real crit on this one...perhaps having the tram an inch or so left so it had mor room to move into.

Cheers.

Hi Alan :wave:

Electric #1: The tram pantograph & structure is very well taken against a good 'sky' background. Electric #2: A stunning shot, focus, colour & lighting all spot on - a great shot.

Direction: Really good panning shot (any tips please, mine never turn out right).Well focused on the road and sign. it's a really good job(y) :clap:

Love both the electric shots, but for uniqueness and simplicity I prefer the first - enough to show what it is, and set off by the bright blue sky.

Tram shot is absulutely fantastical, a real triumph of planning and timing. Could you have got a POV to have the studs in the road leading in from both bottom corners??? Although on secind thoughts its more about the horizontals maybe.. dunno - but I like it.

:clap: OMG I think your direction shot is MEGA PRO. :clap:

Congrats, I bet you're chuffed to bits with that (I would be).

Thanks Brian - yes I am pretty pleased with that as it was an idea that I had which I was able to pull off. I Have often read from pros that the picture must be in the mind before it is composed on site and for once I did think first. :)

Hi, Alan, nice catchup :clap:

Electric, #2 is a good interpretation, but #1 gets it for me. I like the silhouette and the contrast between the clean lines of the tram and the clouds.

Direction, yip, well exposed, nice low perspective and just the right amount of motion blur. I rather like the central positioning of the blue sign. No real crit on this one...perhaps having the tram an inch or so left so it had mor room to move into.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy. I did have one of the tram about a metre to the left which looked good but unfortunately I must have been too excited and camera shake made the sign and railings blurred :bonk:

Hi Alan :wave:

Electric #1: The tram pantograph & structure is very well taken against a good 'sky' background. Electric #2: A stunning shot, focus, colour & lighting all spot on - a great shot.

Direction: Really good panning shot (any tips please, mine never turn out right).Well focused on the road and sign. it's a really good job(y) :clap:

Thanks for the kind comments Dave. Tram was more a frozen shot. I spent a good hour walking the line to get the best signs and light that I could. Then about quarter hour taking shots of passing vehcles to get the shutter speed how I thought that it could deliver the best motion blur. Then I wanted the tram going left to right and they are only every 12 minutes.

Love both the electric shots, but for uniqueness and simplicity I prefer the first - enough to show what it is, and set off by the bright blue sky.

Tram shot is absulutely fantastical, a real triumph of planning and timing. Could you have got a POV to have the studs in the road leading in from both bottom corners??? Although on secind thoughts its more about the horizontals maybe.. dunno - but I like it.

Thanks Graham - good points about studs. I could crop a tadge off the bottom so that the RH studs came from theRH corner, but not the left. Still somethng to consider for the future - another point of detail which I need to remember.

the motion capture in the direction one is perfect, would have been good enough for the theme had the train been frozen but yours is far better.

Electric #1 for me, for it's simplicity. Just the shapes against the sky, but plenty for the eye to follow around.

Directions a great shot... Idea, composition, timing, focus, colours, can't see anything I don't like in it.

the motion capture in the direction one is perfect, would have been good enough for the theme had the train been frozen but yours is far better.

Electric #1 for me, for it's simplicity. Just the shapes against the sky, but plenty for the eye to follow around.

Directions a great shot... Idea, composition, timing, focus, colours, can't see anything I don't like in it.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Hi Alan,

Electric, I prefer the first one. I like the simple lines silhouetted against the sky (y)

Direction, really like the movement in the tram, it makes the shot a lot more interesting. Perfect placement in the shot too :clap: How many trams did you shoot or was this bang on first time? More importantly did you get any 'spotter' looks from passers by?

Hi ya

Electric....can't choose between the 2 shots posted as liking both of them...#1 for the sharp silhouette & lovely blue sky , angles & lines leading you nicely round the shot
#2 ...cos I love night time shots of this ilk...possibly a little bit of converging verticals ( or whatever you call them) with the chimney thing on the lhs & the top of the illuminated tall thing being clipped ...but still a super capture (y)

Direction....:notworthy: nuff said

Hi ya

Electric....can't choose between the 2 shots posted as liking both of them...#1 for the sharp silhouette & lovely blue sky , angles & lines leading you nicely round the shot
#2 ...cos I love night time shots of this ilk...possibly a little bit of converging verticals ( or whatever you call them) with the chimney thing on the lhs & the top of the illuminated tall thing being clipped ...but still a super capture (y)

Direction....:notworthy: nuff said

Thanks Lynne. Like you, I think that night time shots of urban situations are good, but challenging to shoot.

well on theme - honey certainly is a tacky substance - nice capture here mid flow...

Just noticed - is that a finger it's running off of?

Plenty of reflections and highlights - none of them distracting though - just adding to the smooth runniness of it. Who licked the plate afterwards?? :LOL:

Love the light in this shot and the honey looks fantastic. With so many reflective surfaces... looks like it could have been a nightmare! you really nailed the exposure :clap: Did you shoot this in natural light?

I like your take on tacky Alan.
It has lovely colour tones in there, the lighting is well handled too with the shiny surfaces rendered well. Marsha mentioned about the drip of honey being oof but I am not sure as the pool of honey and the back of the plate are both in focus and the drip is within that plane :thinking:

Good work Alan (y)

well on theme - honey certainly is a tacky substance - nice capture here mid flow...

Just noticed - is that a finger it's running off of?

Plenty of reflections and highlights - none of them distracting though - just adding to the smooth runniness of it. Who licked the plate afterwards?? :LOL:

Thanks Graham - yes it is a finger.

Love the light in this shot and the honey looks fantastic. With so many reflective surfaces... looks like it could have been a nightmare! you really nailed the exposure :clap: Did you shoot this in natural light?

Thanks Brian - Shot in natural light with a desk lamp shining from left at about same height as the plate

Like it. What really stands out for me is the glow underneath the plate.

Crit, just a tad gray in parts.

Cheers,

Cheers Andy - yes I liked the glow - the reason for the lamp - and to try to make the liquid shine too. Agree parts are quite grey even tho on a white card base

Hi Alan, nice glow under the plate and honey is definitely fitting for the theme. I'm guessing it's not the easiest of shots (especially if it's your finger) but I think the dribble of honey is just a little oof for me.

I like your take on tacky Alan.
It has lovely colour tones in there, the lighting is well handled too with the shiny surfaces rendered well. Marsha mentioned about the drip of honey being oof but I am not sure as the pool of honey and the back of the plate are both in focus and the drip is within that plane :thinking:

Good work Alan (y)

Thanks Marsha and Iain - had a look at the exif and see that it was a 1/5 sec exposure. And as my assistant was moving her finger upwards to elongate the thread, perhaps that is where the oof arises.

And 4 out of 5 mentioned the honey. As we know the camera cannot lie - but it was good old Tate and Lyle treacle - probably not kept in a non cake making household:D

Hi Alan
tacky bang on theme the glow is really nice a bit tightly cropped but I can't offer any ideas as to what else you would do it just seems a bit narrow

Certainly tacks, and interesting lighting, the reflections work well too. I think I'd agree with Allan though, perhaps a little too tightly cropped.

That writing is great and really makes it for me. On theme and well composed. Nice pen as well.

I always mention WB, but would really like a nice crisp white paper...looks a tad grey.

Cheers.

Really good detail in the pen, it just jumps off the page, and well composed too. Like it.

Really nice image, very neat writing, yours? now is the value in the pen as well as the number at the end? the angle:cautious: works really well. cant fault it :clap:

That writing is great and really makes it for me. On theme and well composed. Nice pen as well.

I always mention WB, but would really like a nice crisp white paper...looks a tad grey.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. The paper is a tad grey in real life as it is hand made and unbleached and I did try to 'whiten ' it in light and PP. Just not quite there is it? i am going to have to have another look at my lighting thinking.

Really good detail in the pen, it just jumps off the page, and well composed too. Like it.

Cheers for the kind comments

Really nice image, very neat writing, yours? now is the value in the pen as well as the number at the end? the angle:cautious: works really well. cant fault it :clap:

Thanks Allan. Yes, my writing with one of my many fountain pens. Did intend the 'value' to be the value of pi when it came to mind and to write in an italic script - but then the pen does have value in both a monetary sense and, for me, in a sentimental sense. Also I thought that it gave a bit of a punch to the otherwise b&w image

Hi Alan,

Some really lovely shots in this thread. My favourite has to be "Direction" I think. It's simple yet so very well composed. Value again shows that you have a good eye for composition (it's clear in many shots in this thread) and the thought behind adding the pen for the double "value" meaning is a nice touch.

Ian.

Back