weekly Dunes' 52 in 2013: Week 3 "Gravity" Updated

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm quite new to photography so i thought this would be a great way to learn.

Please comment not matter how harsh.

Week 1 "Sin"

Week 1 - Sin by Dunes88, on Flickr

(Edit Reason: Hopefully Smaller Picture)

Last edited:
Very nice, not sure if divorce is a sin or they are divorcing because of a sin?

maybe marriage is a sin!!

I like the ambivalence of this and great DoF.

Love the composition and depth of field, looks great. Super sharp focus and the topic is perfect. (y)

If I was being critical, my only gripe would be I would like a little more brightness in it. That's just me though, I like bright pics. :bonk:

Great start though :cool:

Hi Michael...welcome aboard :wave:

Great shot to start with......although for some reason your image is simply mahooooosive on my screen :thinking:
Like the idea of the shot , the placement of the ring works for me (y) possibly a little brighter or whiter maybe ?

great start & look forward to seeing more from you (y)

Thanks for the feedback :)

Regarding the size of the image - I apologise. I created the thread on my iPhone, so I will resize the photo when I'm next on my computer and replace the current one.

I'm still in the messing around stage of PP and haven't quite got the hang of it yet. This shot is quite basic, a slight WB change and I added a little sharpness.

I might have another play tomorrow :)

You have an excellent train of thought behind this. Divorce with the ring could be the sin of adultery? Excellent use of DOF and focus. Inspiring well done!

Great first post - set yourself a high standard to live up to in the coming weeks....

I can normally find 'something' to pick on, but not here.

Maybe the watermark is a bit harsh in white compared to the colour of the pages??

Very very nice! I like the composition, the DoF and the tone, but would like to see it a little brighter (not much).

I don't immediately get sin from it, but can see that it is in there somewhere!

Nice first shot, not really much i can add so ill just say good luck with your 52!

A very thought provoking image, I like the composition and simplicity of the shot. I agree with the comments above about increasing the brightness, I think the white balance could also be tweeked, there is a muddy colouring to it on my screen.

Last edited:
nice shot can't really add anything to what everyone else has said

Hi, Michael, edit is much better. Well produced and wonder what Sin caused divorce!

The ring is a tad central for me.

Good start.

Cheers.

The colour and brightness is much better, but you've lost the nice diagonal in the composition. There is just no pleasing some people is there. :)

Shame about the quite central composition, but the DOF is brilliant. The second round of PP is much better as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other ideas you come up with in the next 51 weeks, you seem to be quite original and creative!

Like the edit - much cleaner and clearer. Good pov and dof. Link to the theme is a little weak for me but a good image of what you were trying to achieve

The sin in question is Adultery. This was the only way i could show the sin in a "Family" enviroment :D

I'm looking forward to the next 51 photos as my PP is where i feel i need to improve the most. (Aside from getting some more lenses :crying:)

Last edited:
The WB and brightness for me make little difference as I still like the original but the dead space bottom left was perfect for a Watermark so I would have left it in. At least you have had some practice for the cheesy wedding ring shot for your first wedding. :D

Kerioak said:
Just to be contrary - as usual, I would like to see a combination of both images. The outside, including watermark of the top one and the focal point of the edit. What I think I am trying to say is maybe have a vignette (and keep your watermark) with the centre brighter.

Might try that later :)

I quite like the top image lighting wise.. perhaps Christine is spot on with a combination of the two or vignette to keep the centre brighter.. good take on the theme, like the sepia tone too..

Great DOF and love the idea,.

Well done.

Thought I should post a little update as to why I'm two weeks behind. My grandfather was rushed in to hospital but is now making a speedy recovery. I have taken the photos, but just haven't had the time to process upload etc.

However week 3 and 4 will all be uploaded at some point in the next few days and ill be back on track :)

Heres Week 2 Season
Was slightly rushed but hey ho!

Week 2 - Season by Dunes88, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hope your grandfather gets well soon.

Straightforward take on the season idea. I don't really like the black area at the bottom though, I think it might look better with that cropped out.

Michael, my first question when I look at these 52s is whether the result is an interesting photo that I like to look at. The season one is on theme, but it just doesn't feel like enough visual interest there. Not sure what you could do; same shot at an angle maybe, making them more diagonal? Show a gap for a seaon you're watching? Add something else that relates to the 24 subtheme?

For gravity however it's a different kettle of fish. It probably won't be to everyone's taste, but this seems to me a clever photo in more ways than one. The relevance to the theme is excellent, the composition works, and there's lots of contrast between the sharp edges and the out of focus bits. Good stuff!

ChrisR said:
Michael, my first question when I look at these 52s is whether the result is an interesting photo that I like to look at. The season one is on theme, but it just doesn't feel like enough visual interest there. Not sure what you could do; same shot at an angle maybe, making them more diagonal? Show a gap for a seaon you're watching? Add something else that relates to the 24 subtheme?

For gravity however it's a different kettle of fish. It probably won't be to everyone's taste, but this seems to me a clever photo in more ways than one. The relevance to the theme is excellent, the composition works, and there's lots of contrast between the sharp edges and the out of focus bits. Good stuff!

I appreciate your honesty Chris and if I'm honest, I'm not satisfied with the Season photo myself. It was more of a filler photo just for the sake of not missing a week.

Hi, quick comments, I'm afraid: Season, on theme and nice low angle. Bit closer for me to remove any BG and colour, maybe.

Gravity, again, on theme but I'd like to see more defused light.

Cheers.

Nice simple composition for gravity and it works well. If I were to be picky I'd say there are some blown highlights at the top left, but it's no big deal - it's still an appealing photo.

I like your gravity image nice contrast, interesting lines and nice composition :clap:

Back