2014 Photo52 Challenge : Week 52 : Support

SarahLee

TPer Emerita
Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
No
So . . . Who's up for a challenge in 2014? :D

If you're looking for some inspiration and a reason to get your camera out every week, the Photo52 is a great way to challenge yourself and encourage you to keep shooting new things throughout the year.

I have in front of me my trusty bag of themes and all I need now are some volunteers daft brave enough to take on the challenge.
I know that we have some returning 52ers chomping at the bit for a new year and hopefully we'll see some new faces joining in too.
This will be the 6th year that TP has run the Photo52 and everyone who has taken part in previous years has learnt a phenomenal amount - I hope that everyone taking part this year gets a lot out of it too.

HOW IT WORKS

In its simplest form, every Saturday a theme is pulled at random from a bag and is posted in this thread. During the following week everyone taking part posts a photo of their interpretation of the theme in their own special 52 thread. There is no competition element to this, you simply shoot for your own enjoyment, progression and sense of achievement.

Step By Step Guide

1) Wait for the theme to be announced. I'll update the thread title and the list below as soon as each week has been drawn.

2) Think about the theme and how you want to interpret it.

3) Take your Photo.

4) Create your own individual thread for your 52 in the 52s section of the "Projects, Personal Challenges and Themes" forum.

5) Post the photo in your thread, update the title of your OP with the week number and share your thinking behind the shot - plus if you feel like it, share what you learned each week.

6) Add your photo to the "pictures only thread" with a link back to your own thread so that everyone can see that you've added a new week.

7) Take a look at some of the other 52s and post a few comments to encourage your fellow 52ers.

8) Wait for the next theme to be announced.

9) Repeat steps 2 & 3 and 5 to 8 until the end of the year. (Step 4 : "creating your own thread" only needs to be done once. All subsequent weeks will be added to your existing thread rather than starting a new thread each week)

:) Easy isn't it?

If you want to keep track of who's in this year, Dark Knight has also very kindly taken up the role of setting up a Photo52 spreadsheet again - TP 52's of 2014 :clap:

2014 THEMES

Optional Practice Theme / Warm Up : Odd

Week 1 : Linear / Line
Week 2 : Play
Week 3 : Close
Week 4 : Bubble
Week 5 : Smoke / Smokey
Week 6 : Mineral
Week 7 : Sense
Week 8 : Ending
Week 9 : Positive
Week 10 : Time
Week 11 : Reshoot and Swirl
Week 12 : Linked
Week 13 : Step
Week 14 : Nature / Natural
Week 15 : Action
Week 16 : Mono
Week 17 : Twisted
Week 18 :Fresh
Week 19 : Shape
Week 20 : Reshoot and Number(s)
Week 21 : Strength / Strong
Week 22 : Texture
Week 23 : Wild
Week 24 : Dream / Dreamy
Week 25 : Vertical
Week 26 : Yum!!! (or yummy)
Week 27 : Loud
Week 28 : Reshoot and Rich
Week 29 : Skill
Week 30 : Half
Week 31 : Architectural
Week 32 : Promise
Week 33 : Sharp
Week 34 : Pure
Week 35 : Sparkle
Week 36 : Fall
Week 37 : Communicate
Week 38 : Dark
Week 39 : Big
Week 40 : Cut
Week 41 : Balance
Week 42 : Change
Week 43 : Reshoot & Grow
Week 44 : Live
Week 45 : First
Week 46 : Smooth
Week 47 : Attached
Week 48 :Energy
Week 49 : Round
Week 50 : Nonsense
Week 51 : Extravagant
Week 52 : Support

:clap: And here we are !!!

Week 52 now officially unveiled.
Merry Christmas everybody :)

Last edited:
SPECIAL FEATURES

RESHOOT Cards : There are 5 RESHOOT cards that have been added to the bag and if one of these is pulled in a week a second card will also be drawn with a theme as normal.

Those taking part have 3 options :

a) RESHOOT a theme from any of the previous weeks (the idea is that you can have a little break from thinking about another new theme and demonstrate to the world how much you've improved).

b) Shoot the week's theme as normal ignoring the RESHOOT card

c) Prove you are a hardened 52er and RESHOOT a theme and shoot the new theme.

There will be at least 4 weeks between RESHOOT cards

JOKERS : if you don't like a theme you can play a JOKER and use it to either

a) Miss the week completely
b) Post a photo that doesn't fall within the drawn theme.

RULES

There are no hard and fast rules - or at least I don't set any rules for you to follow.
This is all about your own personal challenge, so decide on a set of rules that will challenge YOU.
If you want to you can trawl your archives for suitable pictures, shoot 2 weeks behind the theme, have as many JOKERS as you want or there is nothing stopping you using the themes to do a "26" by picking one theme out of every two.

There's a set of suggested rules below, but these are only a suggestion. Tweak them, add to them or ignore them completely - it's YOUR challenge.

SUGGESTED RULES

1) New photos will be taken each week specifically for the theme and only 1 photo will be selected as the shot for the week. This forces me to get out there take photos and pick the image I like best.

2) I may show other shots taken in the week but if I do I will explain why I selected the shot that I did.

3) I will share what I have learned each week and how I might approach it differently next time (or if I had more time)

4) I will limit myself to 1 JOKER during the entire year and if I decide to play it I will still post a new photo.

The challenge is open to everybody, no matter what level of experience you have.
If you decide you want to join in part way through the year that's fine too - nobody says you need to start on week 1.

Last edited:
Woohooo....here we go again :banana:

Many thanks Sarah for your continued support (y)

So....when are you releasing Week 1's theme....not that I'm keen or anything :)

Answered all the questions I had about a 52. Thanks! Can't wait to start.

:wave: Yep, I'm in :)

Hmmmmmmm, quite tempted by this, at the very least it will keep me getting the camera out!

:woot: Welcome back to those coming back for a second (or third or fourth) year and great to see some new joiners too !!!

Ok...... I have had a think about it and count me in as well. It can only help me to improve my skills even more.

(y) and you could always make your 52 shot one of your days for the 365 - in fact I think somebody else did that a few years ago.

Hello all, I'm new but I'm going to give this a go. I just hope uni doesn't get in the way too much, physics must com first unfortunately. A warm up theme would be great; give us n00b's a chance to iron out the kinks before week 1. :)

I look forward to learning and developing with you all though out 2014.

only managed about half the themes last year, so will have another go this year to try to complete the whole 52 !

Ok you got me. After a year of failed attempts at everything im going to try a 52. I may end up a few weeks behind but i will try my hardest to have 52 photos by the end of the year.

very scared

odd? does this mean weird?

Part of the skill of the 52's is to interpret the theme in whatever way you wish / need to....

odd, wierd, funny, 3, 5, 7, different.. (y)

odd? does this mean weird?

James, its how you want to interpret it, for me, I thought number, as in 'odd number' :)

Edit- I must type faster :D

Last edited:
Odd.

Like it. As it's a practice I might get one up tonight. Odd, yeah, selfie might be in order :mooning:

Good luck all.....and don't over complicate it

I did this a few years back and learnt an awful lot from it. I have hardly picked up my camera in the last 12 months so I feel I need something to change that. So I will chuck my hat in the ring.

Do we? Don't we?

Both Sarah and I are seriously considering this. It's quite a commitment but we learned so much in 2012 and missed the fun during this last year.

starting early this time !

typical though our roulette cloth here was french so it didn't have the big "ODD" letters I was after - I am sure someone here will do a better version !

TH3_7953
by tim-uk, on Flickr

Back