weekly 52 in 2014 Cowboy

Good twist photo and I agree about the framing. Nice black background too whilst keeping the subject lit.

Ta.

Hey Mark :)

Action - A good capture on the corner, a real good sense of speed !!!

Mono - Nice composition, the daisy stands out nicely, good focal point, the B&W works well but so would a colour shot imo :)

Twisted - Twisty that's for sure, but a tad too dark for me to see all the detail, the sections that are bright seem in good focus on my lappy :)

Thanks.

Hi Mark,
Nature, stunning piece of work there. You have captured the colours of the butterfly wonderfully and set them off perfectly against the subdued background.
Action, again vivid colours set off well against the track, coupled with a real sense of movement.
Mono, bang on theme, I particularly like your use of the negative space. (y)

Thanks for the comments :)

Twisted, Great composition, its already been said and I agree could be better if the branch was lighter.

Hi Mark,
Twisted, good idea and i like the composition but too dark as has already been said:)

Ta.

Hi Mark...a super twisty branch there, it looks better and much brighter when viewed on Flickr, but I'm not sure what's in the background.

Thanks, I've noticed quite a few photos seem better on Flickr.
I just used a small enough aperture to hopefully kill everything not lit by the flash so it should be just more of the branches (hopefully :) )

Twists indeed. Well spotted. As said a little dark.

Cheers.

Chests ;)

Nice twisty piece of wood, but as others have said, it could do with a little more contrast against the background to really bring out the detail.

Morning, Mark, fresh indeed...I can almost taste them :)

Nice vivid colours, I like the secular highlights and the square crop works well.

I'd like as lightly softer shadow and I'm one that likes a very even BG and for this one the lower left is a bit whiter then the upper right, obviously due to the OCF. Maybe a bounce card upper right to put some light in. Might me me, but the lower left lemon looks slightly OOF :thinking:....oh! and the pip....I'd have had to remove the pip.

Hope you made squash with the props :)

Cheers.

yep, made mi mouth water :) looks well lit, colours good (y)........:thinking:.........if I said the pip annoyed mi n the lemon.....does that make me have OCD :eek: :D

Last edited:
Hi, nice colour very fresh looking, don't mind the pip it is what it is BG greying off is more noticeable

Morning, Mark, fresh indeed...I can almost taste them :)

Nice vivid colours, I like the secular highlights and the square crop works well.

I'd like as lightly softer shadow and I'm one that likes a very even BG and for this one the lower left is a bit whiter then the upper right, obviously due to the OCF. Maybe a bounce card upper right to put some light in. Might me me, but the lower left lemon looks slightly OOF :thinking:....oh! and the pip....I'd have had to remove the pip.

Hope you made squash with the props :)

Cheers.
yep, made mi mouth water :) looks well lit, colours good (y)........:thinking:.........if I said the pip annoyed mi n the lemon.....does that make me have OCD :eek: :D

Hi, nice colour very fresh looking, don't mind the pip it is what it is BG greying off is more noticeable

Thanks.
I left the pip in on purpose once I'd noticed it in the cut lemon :)
I used a flash bender for this, just trying it out and it seems to have left a very uneven background that in all honesty I hadn't really noticed but now I've seen it it is annoying, I really should have noticed it.

It having things like this pointed out that will hopefully make me a better photographer, many thanks (y)

Fresh - colours are good the crop suits it a nice image

Thanks.

Hi Mark

Twisted , on theme but as already mentioned by others a little dark....& I can see some " bits" in the BG...dunno what they are....

Fresh.....you can almost taste the freshness...you've caught the colors & detail in the flesh really well & the lighting on the fruit is spot on (y) Bg needs a little work....think someone has already mentioned using a reflector to bounce some light in the top ?

Alignment and lighting looks good Mark (y) I've never had a go at this, although I've fancied trying it, but I'm not too sure on using the 3 colours :thinking: certainly the white on the bottom could do with changing to make it stand out more :). Also dof is a little shallow, I'd have liked to see the hole 'shape' in focus.

I've had a look and you've used f13 so you would have though the dof wouldn't have been so shallow.....:thinking:......possibly focus point too far forward on the green block?

Hi Mark - agree with Phil re the focus issue and a pity that the green one does not directly accord with the side of the white one beneath. White balance looks a bit out and that dust spot to right needs cloning out.
But a good subject and like the overall position of the object in the frame.

Hi Mark, not sure thats the best example of this I have seen as said above it sort of gives the game away as it is not lining up quite right

Alignment and lighting looks good Mark (y) I've never had a go at this, although I've fancied trying it, but I'm not too sure on using the 3 colours :thinking: certainly the white on the bottom could do with changing to make it stand out more :). Also dof is a little shallow, I'd have liked to see the hole 'shape' in focus.

I've had a look and you've used f13 so you would have though the dof wouldn't have been so shallow.....:thinking:......possibly focus point too far forward on the green block?

Cheers.

Hi Mark - agree with Phil re the focus issue and a pity that the green one does not directly accord with the side of the white one beneath. White balance looks a bit out and that dust spot to right needs cloning out.
But a good subject and like the overall position of the object in the frame.

Thanks.

Hi Mark, not sure thats the best example of this I have seen as said above it sort of gives the game away as it is not lining up quite right

Ta.

It's a bit rubbish I know :)

Last edited:
I think someone did this before ;) and quite a bit better.

Thanks mark. :D

Different approach to mine last year (angles), looks like yours could work, I found it needed longer focal length to compress the perspective (200mm plus), and as great a dof as possible, maybe even f22 and sharpen the life out of it later.

Took me 2 tries, your first is waaaay better than my first though. (y)

Last edited:
Cheers people, the shape I'll probably have another go at following Grahams advice if I ever have any time :)

Hi Mark, excellent pic of the hatchling and a great idea for the theme :clap:

I agree mark, an original idea and a great capture. I agree with a crop also and that would get rid of the distractions on the top left and bottom right.

we all want a crop of this one it seems....... also would remove the purple bit lower right.

Seems a tad cold as well to me.

but a lovely moment captured at a nice time between being wet and bedraggled, and just starting to dry out and become fluffy.

Back