weekly 69bonni (Steve) TP52 2015... Words, Support, Religion and Geometric Added

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Bliss Week 1 catch up!

Into the valley of death rode the 700 (D700 that is).... First venture into TP 52! I'm told there life outside Landscape Photography, so we'll see:).
Playing catch up now, so here goes....
After playing around with infinity curves a while ago i had another go today.... Heres some left over Xmas Bliss.... Bottle openers from days past, dont ask how i got them to stay there.....

ssscccchhhhh by rickman.steve, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
Steve

TP52 Link

Last edited:
HI Steve & welcome to the madhouse :wave: ...wondered if you'd take the plunge :D

Bliss.......super glue or blu tac ?? However you managed it , it's worked well......infinity curve loooks good as well....just the merest hint of a shadow toward the bottom , perfect focus on the middle bottle ( I'm still debating with myself over whether I like it there ....), Almost perfect symmetry in lining the labels up (y)

So , 1 down , 51 to go....;)

Ha! Hi ya.... Well you twisted my arm;). I thought looks like they accept head cases and Dark Knight said I should fit right in! Took some thinking about cos didn't want to fail if you know what I mean.
I thought it might be an idea to do something that takes me out of my comfort zone for a change.

Yup both super glue and blue tack! Yes I had a large sheet of card from work, lighting was another mare as I normally only shoot Landscapes didn't have any lighting... Used halogen lamps out of the garage taped to mike stands. Yes I did take several shots with the focus on different bottles and couldn't make up my mind (that indecisiveness gremlin again). Had to get my finger out cos the halogen lamps were drying out the water droplets on the bottles!

Yep 51 to go! Thinking about week 2 now!
Thanks for popping by...
Cheers Steve

Thanks Andy,
A couple less bottles now;)... I'm pleased with the lighting considering what I used.
Now if there's a topic titled "lash-up" I'll up a photo of the lighting rig:).
Thanks for stopping by!
Steve

Hey Steve!
Definitely 5 little bits of bliss lined up there [emoji23]. Pin sharp on the centre bottle and the beads of condensation are nicely captured too.

Thanks Ferg,
A few less green bottles now, well the bottles are there, but there empty:). Yes used live view to pick up the focus. I have to confess there was beads of condensation on the bottles when they came out of the fridge but it soon disappeared so had to replace it with I plant spray;).
Thanks for stopping by!

Hey Steve :)

Got this image up nice and quick... Good infinity curve, Lynne has mentioned the shadows to the bottom right, other than that love the bottles and the condensation on them, good choice on the focus if you ask me, as for your lighting that has worked out really well, and I must say the openers make for an interesting twist - Really good start to your 52 (y)

Hi Steve, that's a belter for bliss. Really nicely composed and shot - the bottle openers do add something and make it a far more interesting shot. Without them it'd just be a photo for this challenge whereas your image is actually one which could be hung (especially if one were a Stella fan!)

Absolutely no crit from me: love it as it is. It'd be interesting to see a less tight crop with more shadow included but that'd be a different image with a very different feel. Brill as is (y)

Great start, great use of DoF and the focus is pin sharp on the Middle bottle, no crit from me.

HI, great image for bliss and nice to see you have taken time with the lining up of the bottles, the openers are a nice touch, excellent start (y)

Thank you all for the welcome and kind comment....
Heres hoping i can see it through to week 52!(y)

Super image. Great use of a shallow DoF and the composition is spot on as well. The use of the bottle openers is a super piece of inspiration which adds a whole new dimension to the image.

Hi Folks, thanks for dropping by i appreciate it!
Thanks Lee, if you had seen the lighting rig you would have had a fit;)
Thanks Darren, thought id better use Live View to hit the focus as i do in Landscape, right out of my comfort zone here in TP52:rolleyes: But thats the idea! I might need that Good Luck!
Thanks Peter, Appreciate your comments, cant remember how many shots this took faffing around with lighting, still life! :mad:. (Blimey now thinking how can i fit all the themes into landscape photography).
Ah yes the bottle openers! well i had 2, so that took a lot of phone calls, i originally wanted 6 bottles! if you notice the bottle opener at the end is a chrome one! beggers cant be choosers!! Thanks again Pete...

I agree with Peter :plus1: and I feel your pain with still life, just glad it's not film :eek: as I would spend a fortune trying to get it all right :D

Hi Jill,
Thanks very much for you kind words, I'm always up for learning which is a good enough reason to attempt TP52. I'm also doing another project in parallel so a glutton for punishment.... Give a busy person etc etc.:rolleyes:

Yes back then it would have never happened or if it did would have taken forever... Speaking of which I was clearing out a bedroom here ready for redecorating and found a roll of film in a can that had been exposed! Must have been from my Pentax ME Super, I can't wait to have it developed to see what's on it!

What I'd really like to learn, is using a flash with total confidence, always managed ok but would like to be much more confident with it (basically I never use a flash in my landscape work). So maybe 52 might teach me that!

Thanks again and good luck with your 52!

Hi Steve and welcome

Excellent! I agree with the above appraisals, but .... I know this is just a slight personal aversion of mine ... I'd like to see the focus on the nearest bottle instead of the middle one.

Now look i was struggling OK!
So wandering around aimlessly the my camera in hand not having a scooby what to shoot! Left it late, story of my life, and now everyone has used all the ideas i thought of Bu66er!:( at least i like my ideas to be eunique.... Anyhow as i work in London and travel up from deepest darkest 'Ampshire every day, i have taken to always having a camera with me.... Now they talk funny in London which is strange because they always say pardon when i talk :rolleyes:(Must ne something to do with My Father being born in Cornwall and Mother in Doeset:)) anyhow to give you a bit of an idea my Nick Name at work is Werzel so that gives you the background to the story....
So there i was, wandering round "Smoke" at lunch time despondent and racking my brains as to what the hell i could shoot.... it started to rain, typical so i took shelter in a Superstore across the way. As i walked in a young shop assistant asked "Can i help" i shrugged my shoulders and said doubt it ..... unless you have "Fraaagile", " Yes certainly sir, up on the mezzanine floor, over to the right at the back" well bless my soul he was right! A fridge-isle ............ You can blame Blondie606 for that she said you could "Bend" Themes:p.

It was a bit of a sneaky shot, not so easy to get and trying to keep out of the way of shop assistants i thing the give away might have been the flash!!!!

Fridge-isle by rickman.steve, on Flickr

This is my proper entry, it was still a struggle!:eek:. So many people breaking up over the Christmas period, bit dark.... sorry! Indoor Photography!:eek: Trying to get my head round lighting, flashes etc.... Intresting subject... I did not use a flash here but a Yongnuo LED light bank mounted on a seperate tripod.

Fragile Relationship by rickman.steve, on Flickr

All the best
Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve and welcome

Excellent! I agree with the above appraisals, but .... I know this is just a slight personal aversion of mine ... I'd like to see the focus on the nearest bottle instead of the middle one.
Thanks for the comments David .....
Ha Ha.... I knew someone would ask, i have i lot of shots that i took on that shoot and i have some focussed on the last some on the first some on the middle.... Not that I'm indecisive or anything;).
Its very interesting to know what peoples preferences are...(y)

Thank you for stopping by and i appreciate every comment
All the best
Steve

A unique story to the photo. Might have liked to have seen the letter on the floor after the shock of opening and reading it.

Fridge aisle, oh dear lol

Love the idea of the "Dear John" letter (y)

A unique story to the photo. Might have liked to have seen the letter on the floor after the shock of opening and reading it.

Hi Mandy, thank you for stopping by! Yes thats a good idea, didnt think of that! I was thinking along the lines of getting the letter etc in sharp focus with the rest thrown OOF. (shot at f2.8). Maybe i should have put the 50mm lens on to decrease the DOF even more. I guess thinking about the scenario would have made sense to have it on the floor, i did contemplate a trail of debris but thought that might be a bit OTT.:)

Fridge aisle, oh dear lol
Love the idea of the "Dear John" letter (y)

Sorry Cobra.... I was told that a prerequisite for TP52 was that you had to be a head case;)
Yeah the Dear John a bit to close to truth to be comfortable:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Fridge aisle, genius :LOL:

For Dear John I'd prefer to see the letter and the ring bigger and more dominant in the frame and maybe shot from a lower angle, your 50mm may have been a better choice. I also find the colours a little bland, maybe a b&w conversion would give it more impact.

Thanks for stopping by Nick!
Could you tell i was struggling:). It was a bit tongue in cheek for a laugh, you can see my warped sense of humour;)

Yes i was looking at that too, i must admit i wasnt exactly happy with the shot TBH. i was trying to get the ring and letter bigger in the frame but was struggling to make it so... Some inconsiderate builder had built a Staircase to my immediate left and the little table was at the very bottom of the stairs. So like you said, i think the answer would have been a much lower angle. Reason i shot in the hall was to add to the theme, wanted the door half open look.
I did faff around with the colours a lot, in as much as adjusting the WB.... I was trying to get it as true to actual colours as i could, this is something i'm trying to learn (As with Lighting) as normally Never shoot indoors...So I'm right out of my comfort zone here:eek:. Too much red / brown / orange going on. Maybe your right about B&W not a fan of mono TBH but will check it out with an edit, mght be much better in this instance.
I really appreciate your comments, its all about learning isnt it, If i get some time (Ha Ha) i might try a reshoot for my own sanity.

BTW Its nice to be graced by the presence of the Official Forum Idiot i bow to your supreme stupidity!

Thanks again and All the best

Steve

............ You can blame Blondie606 for that she said you could "Bend" Themes:p.

Don't be picking up @blondie606 bad habits ;)

#2 works well. The lighting works well. Is the door open after she left or you were looking for her? I feel it would look better with you sat behind the door in a similar pose. Bet it when make a nice b&w.

Good show.

Cheers.

Hi ya :)

Fraaagile....love it , brilliant back story :ROFLMAO:...now't to do with me though ,never said it , honest :naughty:

The real shot....different take on the theme but it works , open door is a nice touch & the lighting looks good with no harsh shadows ( but I know nothing about lighting !) I'm viewing on my laptop (which is always a battle with brightness) , the letter seems a little bright so the writing isn't standing out too much ?

Not sure how the second picture fits the theme as since the apparent loss has just happened so there would be sorrow, distress, anger perhaps but feeling fragile...don't know really.

Fridge-isle (sic) though, yes like that a lot as it's a quirky interpretation of the theme and whether or not Lynne suggested it I am wholeheartedly in favour of 'the far side' of themes.

Don't be picking up @blondie606 bad habits ;)

#2 works well. The lighting works well. Is the door open after she left or you were looking for her? I feel it would look better with you sat behind the door in a similar pose. Bet it when make a nice b&w.

Good show.

Cheers.

Hi Andy,
Thanks for stopping by mate. Well it was Lynne's comment that researching the topic might give you a bit of flexibility with the theme:whistle: That coupled with my warped sense of humour.... Had to be done;).
The door was open after she left.... theory was she left and dropped the keys and her rings on the table.
Apparently the wife said i havnt got a clue?? She said:-
1. It wouldnt be her leaving!
2. The keys would be no point, as she would have changed the locks.
3. If she had been leaving, she wouldnt be leaving her rings, she'd would sell them, and my motorbikes, and my cameras AND.........:eek:

Uummm, i guess thats canned that theme then. Just making up my bed in the workshop:rolleyes:

Will try and up a B&W version shortly... See how it works

Cheers Andy

Hi ya :)

Fraaagile....love it , brilliant back story :ROFLMAO:...now't to do with me though ,never said it , honest :naughty:

The real shot....different take on the theme but it works , open door is a nice touch & the lighting looks good with no harsh shadows ( but I know nothing about lighting !) I'm viewing on my laptop (which is always a battle with brightness) , the letter seems a little bright so the writing isn't standing out too much ?

Hi Lynne....
Oppss you caught me using your name in vain:eek:.
I'm sure you said something about Google the theme? :whistle:
Well didnt stand a chance really with my sense of humor coupled with my overloaded singular brain cell:)

Yeah thats why i thought id take the jump and do the 52, need to learn about lighting, flash and all that, as i never use it much, just get by instead of being proficient.
Thanks for the feedback, was using LED lighting by Yongnuo (Xmas pressie) to try and get rid of any shadow... think it worked, had a lot of struggling with positioning of tripods etc trying to get the lighting best i could.
Yes the letter was a real problem, trying to get it so its sharp and almost readable, i think Nick above had the right solution lower angle, couldnt believe something so simple could be such a pain :).
I did look at that letter a lot in LR too trying to see how to improve it.... Maybe B&W might be the answer...

Thanks for stopping by and i appreciate all comments!
All the best
S

Not sure how the second picture fits the theme as since the apparent loss has just happened so there would be sorrow, distress, anger perhaps but feeling fragile...don't know really.

Fridge-isle (sic) though, yes like that a lot as it's a quirky interpretation of the theme and whether or not Lynne suggested it I am wholeheartedly in favour of 'the far side' of themes.

Hi Martin
Ah well problem was once it had popped into my head that was it, had to be done:).
I think if you have a particular sense of humor, then it appeals and as i'm ex forces, it gives you a particularly warped sense of humour;)
Thanks for popping by!
All the best with your 52!
Cheers
Steve

'Fridge aisle made me smile!

Your second shot is a great idea, but for some reason it looks slightly too staged to me? I think ideas the others have had about a grittier conversion would work well. I also wonder whether a shallower DOF would work better: the letter being perfectly in focus but more blur on you? I'm not sure... just thoughts really. :thinking:

Hi Paul,
Thanks for stopping by and appreciate the comments... Yeah well i was really stuffed for ideas to be honest:rolleyes: apart from Fraaage -Isle!
Personally i hate the staged stuff and there i go flipping well sticking one up! Cant believe myself.... See what TP52 drives you too:(.
I guess i could have stuck the 50mm lens on that would have got me to f1.8, this was shot at f2.8 and TBH i was running out of space in the hall to get the shot.
Think its a case of could do better... But its a learning curve for me i think the next 50 themes should all be Landscape themes:).

Well a new theme comes out tonight and i wonder what we will be letting ourselves in for this week?
Appreciate you taking the time to comment
All the best
Steve

Why thank you Mandy!
I always remember you welcoming me to the forum....
Hope things are looking up for you
All the best
Steve

Phew! Scenic!! I can do that:)

Just out on the weekend down the River Test for a wander to catch the morning light. Down near Bossington, Nr Houghton where the road crosses the river there is a nice wooden bridge. Made a lovely scene with the mist rolling on the water and the frost on the bridge.
AND i never even fell in once (this time).
Hope you like it....

River Test.jpg by sacrickman, on Flickr

Please can the next theme be landscapes?
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Back