weekly alsjazzera TP52 2014 WEEK 52 SUPPORT added

Hi Allan

Shape, Number , Strong - overall a super 3 consecutive images. :clap::clap:

I thought at first that it would be lazy not to comment on each one, but particular comments have been made by others and I think an overall comment would be that those are 3 very strong images because in each one I feel that you have nailed the comp, the colours, the clarity, the textures. Really good quality work for me (y) and and an example of what can be done with simple ideas very well executed. Cracking stuff

HI Allan,

Numbers - nice image composition is good adding part of the guitar sets it off well

Strong - Great detail in the egg, the shadow is spot on back-round looks clean and the image looks well lit

Craig

Thanks for looking in

Gawd....what a brilliant idea......:clap:

Nicely lit , portrait works well (though as I'm going through a negative space obsession at the mo I'd quite like a landscape version with plenty of space to the rhs ;) )

Not crit from me Allan....spot on :clap::clap:

The only reason I didn't do a shot with negative space was I couldn't get an even white BG, sorry to disappoint you:p

Great idea, well shot. Sharp and nicely exposed A1

Thank you

I like that Allan, great idea, detail in the egg and clamp, lighting, composition, excellent (y)

Thank you

Egg, nice idea.

Well composed and good detail.

My only crit, and I, not sure how you would overcome it, would be a little movement in the vice.

Cheers.

Thats akin to me saying I would prefer it if you were a little more dead in your numbers shot :D by the way its a g-clamp :whistle:

Hi Allan

Shape, Number , Strong - overall a super 3 consecutive images. :clap::clap:

I thought at first that it would be lazy not to comment on each one, but particular comments have been made by others and I think an overall comment would be that those are 3 very strong images because in each one I feel that you have nailed the comp, the colours, the clarity, the textures. Really good quality work for me (y) and and an example of what can be done with simple ideas very well executed. Cracking stuff

Thats very nice of you to say

Hi Allan... great idea(y) no crit from me, super clean bg and well focused:) one question how many eggs did it take?

Just the one egg and yes I did crack it though its amazing how strong an egg is try it for yourself though perhaps not with a g-clamp

Thats akin to me saying I would prefer it if you were a little more dead in your numbers shot :D

:LOL:
rofl.gif
:LOL:

Hi Allan,

I like the guitar shot - as a muso myself I appreciate it and you've got one sharp shot there.
I love the idea you have with the egg. You certainly have brought out the detail in the egg and G-Clamp, nice and grainy and sharp too. Colours are spot on.

Like it. The red insect does it's job well. Without it, it would not have any where near the impact.

I wasn't sure about the lower section but on reflection it needs to be there.

Only crit, well I'd like the little insect a bit bigger in the frame.

Lovely textures in the wood.

This theme can produce very ordinary photographs, so well done to this submission.

Cheers.

Quick off the mark this week again Allan (y)
The vivid red of the bug is set off well against the wood, it certainly ticks the texture box.
It doesn't overly bother me TBH the bug being so small in the frame, I feel it adds a sense of scale to the whole scene. Good work (y)

Like it. The red insect does it's job well. Without it, it would not have any where near the impact.

I wasn't sure about the lower section but on reflection it needs to be there.

Only crit, well I'd like the little insect a bit bigger in the frame.

Lovely textures in the wood.

This theme can produce very ordinary photographs, so well done to this submission.

Cheers.

The insect is a red spider mite according to various websites they are 1mm in size so even though I used a 100mm macro lens this is the biggest i could get it,
but it is not really the picture only a distraction to add a little interest to the theme itself
but as you say without it nowhere near the impact, I agree.

HI Allan,

On theme, great detail the insect really adds to the image but does look a bit lost in there agree with Andy's comment on a bit larger

Craig

as said above the theme is texture the wood was the important thing the mite just a distraction

Quick off the mark this week again Allan (y)
The vivid red of the bug is set off well against the wood, it certainly ticks the texture box.
It doesn't overly bother me TBH the bug being so small in the frame, I feel it adds a sense of scale to the whole scene. Good work (y)

Thanks Iain, I would not have used the pic without the bug, i think it would have been very dull without it

Action - Don't dogs to the daftest things - I hope she wasn't rolling in anything nasty. Nice lighting and nice & sharp. If I was to be picky I'd like to have seen her eye a little clearer

Mono - Superb shot. Beautifully sharp where it needs to be and a lovely conversion to mono. I definitely like this one a lot.

Twisted - I'm not usually keen on these types of borders but I have to say this works excellently for the image which I love. What a great idea. Nicely exposed and good use of a textured background.

Fresh - Lovely detail on the back of the subject. If I'm going to be picky my eye keeps being drawn to the gap in the petals. Great lighting, composition and even the bright background works well.

Shape - Nice image which could be found in a foody book or as a print on a wall. Nice one.

Number – Good clean image and certainly fits the theme. I couldn't resist googling the lyrics to find out which "number" this was from

Strong - The use of the rusty clamp is a nice touch. Lighting spot on again

Texture - Again not problem with the size of the bug but I'm wondering if it has been oversaturated and thus lost a bit of detail in it

Lovely work Allan, you have been very creative with the theme and made a great shot that would stand alone without it.

I applaud you sir. :clap:

wow now you said it was a spider mite i know how tiny they are and it gives the image a really nice feature, colours are really nice and vibrant to

lovely job with the egg in the clamp, the rough rustiness of the clamp contrasts well with the clean smoothness of the egg, its impossible to show the strength here as there would likely be no indication of the stress, until the moment of eggplosion, so i think we need to use a bit of imagination. Lovely lighting too.

The little spider mite, in agreement that it adds to an otherwise interestingly textured, but plain shot. Couldalso agree with Peter as to the possible loss of detail / plasticiness but this could be what they are like, and obv the size is a major difficulty.

The spider really makes the photo for me. I tried a few shots of bits of wood with knots in it, but they all looked rather boring compared to yours, so I'm glad I didn't use them :)

Numbers: A good take on the theme, with the composition working well for such a 'busy picture'. Sharp and clean pic which cant be faulted.

Strength: A really creative idea on this one and portrays the theme well. Well lit and composed as always here. Do you use one of those light tent 'thingies' to light your subjects?

Texture: Definitely full of textural detail, which works well with the deep rich wood tones. Like the contrasting red mite which lifts this above the ordinary. Nice piece of work here Allan. Keep it up (y)

The insect is a red spider mite according to various websites they are 1mm in size so even though I used a 100mm macro lens this is the biggest i could get it,
but it is not really the picture only a distraction to add a little interest to the theme itself
but as you say without it nowhere near the impact, I agree.

In that case, nice one. There is always that temptation to crop in closer, but in the ends it often ends in a pixelated blob.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Have to agree, the little spider mite adds an interest to the picture and contrasts well with the background texture :)

Another vote for a colour version Allan, was there a reason for the b&w?

Great pose, detail looks good, wilds ok........but you wouldn't want to make it angry :D..........:coat:

Hi Allan ...there's no link to here on the main thread :)

Well he certainly looks wild and that wing span is amazing, great pose. I would have like to see this one in a colour version as well.

Sorry link now in, was in a bit of a rush, the colour version is on Flickr

Another vote for a colour version Allan, was there a reason for the b&w?

Great pose, detail looks good, wilds ok........but you wouldn't want to make it angry :D..........:coat:

The reason for the B+W is there is a little colour cast on the colour version looks a little blue and i couldn't get rid of it.
if at first you don't succeed put the other one up,

Hi Allan, I actually prefer the colour version. He's giving you a great pose, showing off his wingspan :)

I'm guessing this is not his natural habitat in the wild :thinking: If it is, you're braver than me to get up close and personal with him/her.

Back