weekly alsjazzera TP52 2014 WEEK 52 SUPPORT added

Dream. Now that is a beauty..... Could have come straight out the top drawer of the @HWest factory.

Great texture on the walls, love the scale of the back wall and the doorway. Super sharp on the figure, with a beautiful softness to the shadow. Composition of all the elements within is also faultless.

Dream. Now that is a beauty..... Could have come straight out the top drawer of the @HWest factory.

Great texture on the walls, love the scale of the back wall and the doorway. Super sharp on the figure, with a beautiful softness to the shadow. Composition of all the elements within is also faultless.

Says it all (y)

Wild - Fantastic creature what a wingspang, had a look at the colour version and cant make my mind up

Thanks for looking in

Thank you Graham

That is gorgeous, Allan - where do you take that? If it's all been done in post, I'm going to give up right here and now.

There is no need to give up just yet, its two pictures the first one was the walls and doorway which I made from cardboard put a light at the back and took a pic
the second was of Jane who was holding a teddy bear, I had to get on a table to get the perspective right.
then it was just a case of adding textures to the walls and floor, the middle section of the walls I added a rectangle to and altered the brightness contrast so it got its shape back it had gone flat when adding the texture
then Jane was added, getting the shadow was the biggest problem tried to work out drop shadows in elements but it wasn't happening so used the original pic of Jane again and turned it upside down and back to front, softened it and put it into place.
oh and two more textures for the outside view too.
took me hours as I am not the best at PS.

Says it all (y)

Thanks

Dream is amazing... It has everything just nailed for me. Sorry this is rubbish crit - I genuinely can't offer improvement!

Thanks

Dream, excellent shot Allan.

Thank you

Hi Alan :)

Texture - a bit late in commenting, but such a good image I feel I still have to comment, super job with this one, love the red bug and the texture/colour in the timber compliments it too (y)

Wild - Liking the letterbox crop, a great pose to capture too, not sure where you captured this, but it certainly looks the part (y)

Dreamy - Excellent... very much a dreamy image, love how you have done this, the perspective looking down is a great touch, and thanks for your methodology, and you creating and photographing the elements... I'd be thrilled to do something like this - Nice One :clap:

OMG.......that is just superb Allan.....saw it 1st I flickr and was so impressed , no crit from me just a mahooossive :clap::clap:

Dream brilliant, :clap::clap:

Thanks

That just has to be the hugest WOW Allan, and even more so now I've read how you did it ...absolutely excellent :clap:

Thank you
Hi Alan :)

Texture - a bit late in commenting, but such a good image I feel I still have to comment, super job with this one, love the red bug and the texture/colour in the timber compliments it too (y)

Wild - Liking the letterbox crop, a great pose to capture too, not sure where you captured this, but it certainly looks the part (y)

Dreamy - Excellent... very much a dreamy image, love how you have done this, the perspective looking down is a great touch, and thanks for your methodology, and you creating and photographing the elements... I'd be thrilled to do something like this - Nice One :clap:

Thanks wild was taken on my day trip to the Andes or it might have been Chester zoo :sneaky:

OMG.......that is just superb Allan.....saw it 1st I flickr and was so impressed , no crit from me just a mahooossive :clap::clap:

Thanks Lynne

Dream/dreamy - super work and very well put together, I love everything about this image.

Ta very much

Wild - Certainly a good shot with some nice texture being caaght in those feathers

Dreamy - What a great idea. The execution is pretty good as well. The eyes are definitely drawn into the figure

Him dreamy, now that I really like. Has a slight sinister feel to it. The processing and composition are bang in for me.

No crit from me on this one (y)

Cheers.

WEEK 25 VERTICAL

Vertical by allanhowe, on Flickr

First of all sorry for being a little slow and rubbish at commenting this week, my daughter gave birth on friday to my second grandchild (my sons partner had a baby on April the 9th)
its all been very hectic, plus I was in Yorkshire sat/sun trying out the new tent.

This was taken in Yorkshire sculpture park, highly recommended if you have not been, its processed to death really, sorted out the lens distortion to an extent and converted to infrared B+W
best I am going to do this week

YSP is one of our 'go to' family days out. Last time we went there looked to be some cracking new stuff on its way.

I like this one. Not seen any IR recently and it works well, IMO. I like the wide DOF and there's some nice detail in the sculpture. Looks like you controlled the highlighted on it well, too.

Sky looks like it was an issue.

Cheers.

Dreams: Just brilliant.....and a perfect concept piece. I really cant fault it though if pushed...... I kinda feel like a bit more definition in the lower legs would be nice.

Vertical: As Andy says....youve controlled the exposure well on what appears to be a really bright day. Punchy contrasty b&w works well here to give the statue enough seperation from the background.

Good work (y)

...............took me hours as I am not the best at PS.

Dream is an excellent image Allan, :clap:............how good do you want to be! :p :D

I'm a little unsure about your vertical :thinking:.........I like the statue, I like the trees, I like the pp'ing ........but possibly the statue needed the sky as bg, maybe different pov putting it more in the gap of the trees , then having it on the thirds to the right :thinking: ...........its another one of those 'well I know what I mean' statements, sorry :D

Hi Allan :)

Vertical - Now that's interesting, dreamy.... yeah I guess so, could even go as far as 'trippy', I like your PP on this, very different, the composition is good and the statue just manages to stand out from the trees, sounds an interesting place, I must visit when I am up that way on business - Congrats on the addition to the wider family (y)

Hi Allan
Wild - certainly on theme and does look better on Flickr as there is more detail in the wing feathers. But somehow it seems a bit messy and ill defined - soz

Dream - well all your hard work paid off because this is as good as it gets IMO. Lovely lighting and textures, super comp and a sinister feel. (n):clap:

Vertical - good spot and like the PP that you have applied. Poss needs a bit more separation from the b/g

YSP is one of our 'go to' family days out. Last time we went there looked to be some cracking new stuff on its way.

I like this one. Not seen any IR recently and it works well, IMO. I like the wide DOF and there's some nice detail in the sculpture. Looks like you controlled the highlighted on it well, too.

Sky looks like it was an issue.

Cheers.

Very bright sunshine so yes the sky was tricky, would love to go back another day

Dreams: Just brilliant.....and a perfect concept piece. I really cant fault it though if pushed...... I kinda feel like a bit more definition in the lower legs would be nice.

Vertical: As Andy says....youve controlled the exposure well on what appears to be a really bright day. Punchy contrasty b&w works well here to give the statue enough seperation from the background.

Good work (y)

Thanks

Hi Allan, I don't mind that it's been "processed to death" as you put it. I think it works. I like the Intra-Red colourisation.

Thank you
Nice vertical shot Allan... B&W works for me... :plus1:

Thanks

Dream is an excellent image Allan, :clap:............how good do you want to be! :p :D

I'm a little unsure about your vertical :thinking:.........I like the statue, I like the trees, I like the pp'ing ........but possibly the statue needed the sky as bg, maybe different pov putting it more in the gap of the trees , then having it on the thirds to the right :thinking: ...........its another one of those 'well I know what I mean' statements, sorry :D

funny enough I know what you mean, :LOL:

Vertical - fits the theme and I like the b&w as well good work.

Thanks

Hi Allan :)

Vertical - Now that's interesting, dreamy.... yeah I guess so, could even go as far as 'trippy', I like your PP on this, very different, the composition is good and the statue just manages to stand out from the trees, sounds an interesting place, I must visit when I am up that way on business - Congrats on the addition to the wider family (y)

Thank you, it is well worth a visit

Hi Allan
Wild - certainly on theme and does look better on Flickr as there is more detail in the wing feathers. But somehow it seems a bit messy and ill defined - soz

Dream - well all your hard work paid off because this is as good as it gets IMO. Lovely lighting and textures, super comp and a sinister feel. (n):clap:

Vertical - good spot and like the PP that you have applied. Poss needs a bit more separation from the b/g

I know what you mean about the bird it is a little lost, and again with vertical I deliberated on both the images but decided I wouldn't be able to get anything better (y)

Allan. got to agree with DK - really like the finished plate with crumbs rather than a shot of the original article.
Lighting a little uneven on the plate and maybe try to clone out the marks on the table top and bottom right.
Minor points on what is a very clever, simple idea but so on theme.(y)

Vertical I like the processing and think it suits the subject / scene, composition I think could be bettered, Phiols suggestion of hitting the gap in the trees maybe, combined with a bit lower maybe?

Yum is a super interpretation of teh theme, lets the viewer fill in the blanks as it were, well composed, just the shadow / mark on the top part of the rim if you're wanting crit here. :) But if that's how the plate is.... then thats how the plate is|!

Hi Allan

25 Vertical... that looks a bit rude! ;) Nicely taken shot - the B&W does work, but I find the statue blends a bit too much into the tree behind it.

26 Yum - brilliant (again!)... what a great shot and a brill idea. Lighting is good, composition spot on. A brand new, shiny fork would be the only other suggestion but otherwise it's totally there. How did you light it - I'm always keen to improve my still life and lighting is one of my real weaknesses.

Great shots!

Hey Allan :)

Yum - DAMN !!! what a great idea :D

Really liking that, would never have thought of it, wish I had, Beautifully lit, liking the square crop and the set up looks perfectly natural, love it :clap:

Thank you

Allan. got to agree with DK - really like the finished plate with crumbs rather than a shot of the original article.
Lighting a little uneven on the plate and maybe try to clone out the marks on the table top and bottom right.
Minor points on what is a very clever, simple idea but so on theme.(y)

thanks did a bit of cloning out of marks on the plate but nothing to the bread board (its not a table top) sometimes I can be a little lazy :oops: :$

Vertical I like the processing and think it suits the subject / scene, composition I think could be bettered, Phiols suggestion of hitting the gap in the trees maybe, combined with a bit lower maybe?

Yum is a super interpretation of teh theme, lets the viewer fill in the blanks as it were, well composed, just the shadow / mark on the top part of the rim if you're wanting crit here. :) But if that's how the plate is.... then thats how the plate is|!

Thanks Graham I agree the vertical image is not the best comp but I don't live near there, there is little chance of going back to it anytime soon
see below for plate excuse :LOL:

Hi Allan,
Brilliant idea! only crit is the strange greyish shadows to and bottom of the plate otherwise:clap::clap:

the greyish marks are from the light coming in from the window the shot was taken in front of the kitchen window,which has blinds could be shadow from them:thinking: I also used a reflector quite close to the plate to bounce some back so could be a reflection from that :thinking:.

Hi Allan

25 Vertical... that looks a bit rude! ;) Nicely taken shot - the B&W does work, but I find the statue blends a bit too much into the tree behind it.

26 Yum - brilliant (again!)... what a great shot and a brill idea. Lighting is good, composition spot on. A brand new, shiny fork would be the only other suggestion but otherwise it's totally there. How did you light it - I'm always keen to improve my still life and lighting is one of my real weaknesses.

Great shots!

Thanks I do agree the sculpture does blend in to the BG a little
"Brand new shiny fork" do you think I am made of money :LOL: see above for lighting explanation just natural light and a reflector

Good work Allan (y)
It's implied yum which works really well as opposed to posting the whole piece of cake or suchlike.

I agree on the lighting, very well done (y)

sorry im at your thread a little late Allan, most has been said really. The square crop suits it really well, as does the placement of crumbs and fork. im glad you went for muted colours in this rather than ramping up the saturation, gives a really fresh, light looking image (y)

Yum, On theme and nice detail. Good overall lighting. I would like the square crop and I feel it would contrast wit the plate.

Cheers.

Back