weekly alsjazzera TP52 2014 WEEK 52 SUPPORT added

Like the shot of the gargoyle Allan but it could have done with a dust :D

For half I think the poppy seed for me, the detail is excellent, suits the clean black bg (y) the fact that I wouldn't have known what it was made me study the image and drew me to it more

tea/keyboard interface :ROFLMAO:

Hi Allan

can't comment on the gargoyle having read Phil's comment ...got a mental image of you with a long handled feather duster......

Poppy seed head is a corker , beautifully sharp, superb detail & a perfectly black bg that sets it off to a tee :clap::clap:

Also like the other two partic the Bokeh in the 2nd & the angle /color of the flower :clap:

Hi Allan ....a good choice for skill...they must have had a wonderful imagination too.
I really like your choice for half, that must have been quite difficult to cut so perfectly .... the black background shows it off really well.
Must hop back in again...I love the gazania ... very nice indeed :)

Thanks Susie it was difficult to cut as it was very dry

Hey Allan :)

Skill - Is that a big crop or low light mate as there looks like a lot of noise?? Must agree the craftsmanship in old churches is fantastic, and that is a great example, some wonderful colours going on there, almost luminous. The subject is tightly framed and it works well :)

Half - Boy you have been busy... Some cracking images there, of the three I love the second shot, the subject is fun and well focused, and the lights/bokeh background compliments it beautifully :clap:

The detail in the first is great and very well lit, the flower shot is a gain nicely lit, pleasing DoF/bokeh again, and the only thing stopping it being my fav, is the minimal focus area, a cracking sey !!

Thanks DK not really seeing the noise it was a bit of a crop but not much, it might just be the texture of the stone

Hi Allan
Loud... not keen on the selective colouring but great idea(y)
Rich... good idea its well lit, too i like the quote with it, it makes it (y)
Skill...nice idea they certainly had great skills in those days and used them nicely shot :)
half...the poppy seed head gets my vote, a, i have never seen one cut in half like that and b, what skill managing to cut it in half, I like the dark bg too well done:)

Thanks Judi

Hi Allan

Skill - nice take and definitely on theme for me, but not as compelling a shot as others you've taken. Would a really shallow DOF have helped?
Half - love the poppy head and great black background. Really nice shot... super. The other halves are good, but that's the pick for me.

Thanks not rwally the best shots I sgree had quite a lot going on the last couple of weeks

HI Allan - Skill - I quite like them, nice range of colours textures on there and what looks like a cobweb on the left

Half - first shot for me the detail is perfect, black background really sets it off

Thanks

Detail in the poppy head is superb, and the black Bg does amplify this,

but I really prefer the other two, maybe simply in appreciation of the effort that has gone into not only finding a suitable background, but making the extra interest work with the subject in both cases. Having the subject half included, and right up agaisnt the edge leaves space really well filled by the coloured bokeh. Touch of CA (mostly on the 4th petal going clockwise), is there a slider in LR that would get rid of this?

Thanks i have no idea how to get rid of the CA i use Aperture and elements to PP

For half I think the poppy seed for me, the detail is excellent, suits the clean black bg (y) the fact that I wouldn't have known what it was made me study the image and drew me to it more

I know bloody dirty Church will have a word with the cleaners and then run away as they are quite scary
by the way its not a gargoyle, gargoyles carry water away in other words they are a fancy drainpipe, the proper word would be a grotesque :p

tea/keyboard interface :ROFLMAO:

Hi Allan

can't comment on the gargoyle having read Phil's comment ...got a mental image of you with a long handled feather duster......

Poppy seed head is a corker , beautifully sharp, superb detail & a perfectly black bg that sets it off to a tee :clap::clap:

Also like the other two partic the Bokeh in the 2nd & the angle /color of the flower :clap:

Thanks Lynne

WEEK 31 ARCHITECTURAL

Mock Tudor by allanhowe, on Flickr

As I live in Chester I didn't want to let anyone down by not posting some Mock Tudor, whilst there are some tudor building the vast majority are a victorian folly

Last edited:
Hi Allan

Cracking building and obviously smack on theme. Central composition obviously suits both the subject and theme. Two minor crits for me: 1) looks slightly wonky (tops of buildings not level and central staircase looks to be at a very slightly angle but might be WA distortion?) and 2) a bit of Chromatic Aberration especially in the TL corner. All very easily fixable of course (except the staircase) and doesn't detract for me from a strong photo. Good job!

Hi Allan

Cracking building and obviously smack on theme. Central composition obviously suits both the subject and theme. Two minor crits for me: 1) looks slightly wonky (tops of buildings not level and central staircase looks to be at a very slightly angle but might be WA distortion?) and 2) a bit of Chromatic Aberration especially in the TL corner. All very easily fixable of course (except the staircase) and doesn't detract for me from a strong photo. Good job!

Thanks i did have to change the perspective in Elements the building is on a slight hill, i agree its not quite right as for the chromatic aberration I have no idea how to solve that in elements so I am off to do some research

Last edited:
Skill - good capture and nice detail In the sculpture, I like it.

Half - beautiful take for the theme good detail held I the poppy head fits the theme nicely.

Architectural - lovely building love the wooden timbers on the building, fits the theme perfectly.

Last edited:

What a cracking looking building !!!

Having read Pauls comments after looking at your photo I was a bit puzzled as to what he was
referring too, until I realised that you had changed it :LOL:

Shame you were not blessed with a nice sky, I had the same problem - great photo for the theme mate (y)

Hi Allan

Hope all is well.
Skill - wasn't sure whether it was the skill of the craftsman or the grotesque managing to hang upside down. Good range of weathered textures and cobweb:)
Half - poppy head is spot on - nothing to improve upon. Other two are fun images and score highly on the bokeh-meter. Partic like the way that the doll has been cropped and mystical lights to the rear.(y)
Architecture - good pov nad symmetry OK for me as these buildings can have a wonkiness all of there own. Sky not the best but people help to give the scale. Strong image

Liking the architectural picture Allan, spot on composition for me, I like the reflections in the windows. Have you thought about black and white?
Promise, Interesting texture you have used there, the red x stands out nicely. Only crit really is the bg on the bottom rhs appears black rather than grey, though maybe that is related to the texture you used.

Liking the architectural picture Allan, spot on composition for me, I like the reflections in the windows. Have you thought about black and white?
Promise, Interesting texture you have used there, the red x stands out nicely. Only crit really is the bg on the bottom rhs appears black rather than grey, though maybe that is related to the texture you used.

Thanks Michael, that will be the texture I used

Promise - like the idea behind this theme, I am not so sure on your chosen texture. I do like the heart shaped stone :thinking: , I think the small hint off red adds to the image In the cross.

Thanks Mandy

Hmmm, I like the B&w processing which adds to the moodiness of the photograph. Nice and close and I like the idea behind it. I don't mind the texture, but I'd like to see it a little more faded. I wasn't OCD until I came here but the bit if the heart missing at the bottom is making me feel I'll :)

Cheers.

Hmmm, I like the B&w processing which adds to the moodiness of the photograph. Nice and close and I like the idea behind it. I don't mind the texture, but I'd like to see it a little more faded. I wasn't OCD until I came here but the bit if the heart missing at the bottom is making me feel I'll :)

Cheers.

well i will consider that a success then :D

Hi Allan

I like promise. It's an interesting take on the theme (which is a difficult one this week!) and I think the conversion is spot on for the hand/arm. I like the mud... it just works really well. Exposure good for the mood I guess you wanted (could have gone a 1/2 stop or so higher perhaps?) but I would be interested to see it with either a black or a white background (latter might just be too in your face...)

Good technicals and I do like the dark fade on the arm as it disappears into the corner of the frame. Composition good for me, although you could have moved the positioning of the stone down a touch if you'd wanted (and I guess you didn't want to, which is absolutely fine!!)

Nice.

Hi Allan....I like the idea of this one ....I love the faded looking hand and arm, but I'm not sure about the stark white of the heart ...maybe a more faded looking (red) heart ...a sort of forgotten promise...sorry, just thinking as I write... and not coming to any conclusions :) anyway I do really like it !

Sory Allan, maybe I'm being thick, but I don't get it :confused: Interesting shot though!

'Cross my heart and hope to die'? ...........but I could be wrong :D

Hi Allan

I like promise. It's an interesting take on the theme (which is a difficult one this week!) and I think the conversion is spot on for the hand/arm. I like the mud... it just works really well. Exposure good for the mood I guess you wanted (could have gone a 1/2 stop or so higher perhaps?) but I would be interested to see it with either a black or a white background (latter might just be too in your face...)

Good technicals and I do like the dark fade on the arm as it disappears into the corner of the frame. Composition good for me, although you could have moved the positioning of the stone down a touch if you'd wanted (and I guess you didn't want to, which is absolutely fine!!)

Nice.

Thanks, I think you are thinking about it more than i did, its an idea i don't think worked too well due to my PP skills

Hi Allan....I like the idea of this one ....I love the faded looking hand and arm, but I'm not sure about the stark white of the heart ...maybe a more faded looking (red) heart ...a sort of forgotten promise...sorry, just thinking as I write... and not coming to any conclusions :) anyway I do really like it !

Thanks Susie, see below for what i meant by it

Sory Allan, maybe I'm being thick, but I don't get it :confused: Interesting shot though!

See below

Hi Allan architectural - great looking building lots of interest

Promise - interesting image like the texture and the red cross adds interest not getting the link to promise but it has been a long day

Again see below

Promise - Damn... now that is a bit creepy, I like that even for a SC shot, like the arm coming into the frame like that, interesting texture on the skin, is that soil/dirt or a PP texture ??

Nice one (y)

Thanks DK it's just textures in PS

Kinda scary but funny ... I like it.

Thanks

Thank god for that :LOL:

Hi Allan,

Architecture: May be mock tudor, but still way beatiful in comparison to most modern architecture. Like how the building fills the frame with the central staircase catching my eye nicely. Might be tempted to remove the three bollards for cloning practise? Also like that its been left in colour where it could be so easily tempting to concert to mono

Promise: I really like that Allan. On a creative thinking level this scores high and cant be faulted. Really like the dark moody feel and the texture on the hand. maybe consider fading out some of the grey texture bottom middle so is darker and matches the top left?

Sharp: First one for me. Really empasises the spines nicely. DOF works well and especially like the texture and patterns visible in the flesh top left.

You certainly continue to deliver excellent work all round as always
acttr
acttr
acttr

Thank god for that :LOL:

Is there a prize.....is there......what did I win?
45ba5d925df2.gif

Sharp- 1st one for me too Allan.....:thinking: made me think of a strange planet surface :confused: :D good detail and looks well against the black bg (y) possibly a bit more dof, I would've liked to see more of the cactus spines in focus :)

:rolleyes: Obvious when you know what it is isn't it?

Sharp - second one for me. I really like the colour and texture of the plant and the spiky bits look extremely sharp - both literally and in terms of the focus.

Sharp... ouch! I love the colours in the second one. Great choice of BG (white) which I think really works and actually makes the needles look sharper than the one with the black backround. Odd!

Composition is really good - neat, simple but just works. Super take, Allan!

Hi Allan...'cross your heart' that was such an excellent idea...I like it even more now :)

Two super shots for sharp...they both have their merits so it's hard to choose a favourite...the first one definitely looks like something in outer space and I am a huge fan of black backgrounds, but the second one has such a lovely white background which I can never achieve, so I really like that one too :confused:

Excellent choice for the theme.

Hi Allan
Promise - creative idea. Hand is a little lost in the b/g for me - not so much as to be unrecognisable , but just a little bit. I like the b/g texture - better than a plain black- but would like to see a bit more of it at the top.
Sharp - 2 excellent shots. Gong against teh grain, I will choose #1. spot on dof, super colour, black b/g and comp. An intriguing shot as it is at times abstract, vegetable and animal :clap:

Hi Allan,

Architecture: May be mock tudor, but still way beatiful in comparison to most modern architecture. Like how the building fills the frame with the central staircase catching my eye nicely. Might be tempted to remove the three bollards for cloning practise? Also like that its been left in colour where it could be so easily tempting to concert to mono

Promise: I really like that Allan. On a creative thinking level this scores high and cant be faulted. Really like the dark moody feel and the texture on the hand. maybe consider fading out some of the grey texture bottom middle so is darker and matches the top left?

Sharp: First one for me. Really empasises the spines nicely. DOF works well and especially like the texture and patterns visible in the flesh top left.

You certainly continue to deliver excellent work all round as always
acttr
acttr
acttr

Thank you
Is there a prize.....is there......what did I win?
45ba5d925df2.gif

Sharp- 1st one for me too Allan.....:thinking: made me think of a strange planet surface :confused: :D good detail and looks well against the black bg (y) possibly a bit more dof, I would've liked to see more of the cactus spines in focus :)

:banana:you win a £1,000000 kindly donated by a Nigerian prince, just send me your bank details, I will make sure he gets them :shifty:

:rolleyes: Obvious when you know what it is isn't it?

Sharp - second one for me. I really like the colour and texture of the plant and the spiky bits look extremely sharp - both literally and in terms of the focus.

Thanks, I am beginning to prefer the second one too

Sharp... ouch! I love the colours in the second one. Great choice of BG (white) which I think really works and actually makes the needles look sharper than the one with the black backround. Odd!

Composition is really good - neat, simple but just works. Super take, Allan!

thanks I think you may be right about the second one

Hi Allan...'cross your heart' that was such an excellent idea...I like it even more now :)

Two super shots for sharp...they both have their merits so it's hard to choose a favourite...the first one definitely looks like something in outer space and I am a huge fan of black backgrounds, but the second one has such a lovely white background which I can never achieve, so I really like that one too :confused:

Excellent choice for the theme.

Was hoping to use a sheeps heart for promise but the butchers didn't have any in, perhaps for the best :eek:

Good take on themes Allan. Love the promise image and actually prefer you're second sharp image with the straighter cactus from the left

Thanks
Hi Allan
Promise - creative idea. Hand is a little lost in the b/g for me - not so much as to be unrecognisable , but just a little bit. I like the b/g texture - better than a plain black- but would like to see a bit more of it at the top.
Sharp - 2 excellent shots. Gong against teh grain, I will choose #1. spot on dof, super colour, black b/g and comp. An intriguing shot as it is at times abstract, vegetable and animal :clap:

Thank you the hand shot was difficult worked on it for a while but couldn't quite get it right, in the end i thought b o l l o c k s thats close enough

#1 for me, i really like the red tips. Reminds me of a puffer fish.

Nice clean BG , which I always like.

No real crit from me.

Cheers.

Now you say it I see what you mean, when I met Jane she had a marine tank and a puffer fish, which are the strangest things, never saw it puffed up as it means its in danger or stressed.
it had a really weird cute cartoony smiley face though, strange and fascinating thing.

Back