weekly alsjazzera TP52 2014 WEEK 52 SUPPORT added

:banana:you win a £1,000000 kindly donated by a Nigerian prince, just send me your bank details, I will make sure he gets them :shifty:

PM sent with bank details :banana:, a month in the Seychelles just booked on line and I've rung mi customers and told 'em where to stick it! Allan, I think I :love: you, but don't tell the wife ( about the money that is ) :p

Hi Alan

sorry for the late arrival here.....

Architectural...didn't see the original but really like the shot I can see....nice n sharp, very on theme & kinda like that you left it color but kinda wanna see it in B&W or even sepia:oops: :$

Promise......I'm obviously being dim ( again ) as struggling with the connection but as a shot I really like it . Texture works well , the heart pop's out....it's different & that's why it appeals :clap:

Sharp...both good shots but #1 is my favorite , like everything about it , the angle , the bg , the smidge of color on the tips of the points....love it :clap: wonder if a smidge more DOF would have been possible to include more of the foremost spines ?

I'll try not to leave it so long next time (y)

Prefer the flower image Allan as the second one looks blown out at the ends...

Whats the thinking behind Pure though ?

What can be purer than something that has grown out of the ground.

Hi Allan ... I really like the flower ...I think the fact that its white, it makes it fit the theme better. You've just manged to hang on to the perfect shape of the flower against the white background ...well done with that, and you've kept the center nice and bright, not sure how you did that.but very nice it is.

Catch up time........

Skill - Definitely takes skill to make these given how old they are. I feel the green is a little too green on this one. Maybe picked up during processing?

Half - What a cracking shot for the theme. The detail in the poppy head is super. How easy are they to cut in two? I like the other two shots as well. Nice bokeh

Architectural - That's a very classic Chester scene. It must be years since I've been but I still remember the architecture in the city. A big thumbs up for spending the time making sure you where taking it straight down the middle. Super symmetry.

Promise - I would normally say the texture should just be applied to the background but in this case it really works as it's made the hand and arm look like an old granite statue. It adds to the juxtaposition which I like between the roughness and the clean white heart

Sharp - #2 for me. The white background really suits the spikes of the cactus. That image would make a stunning print on the wall.

Pure - #1 is another candidate for the wall. Super whites with the subtly of petal blending into background being sublime. Super job.

Hi Allan... two good captures for Pure. I certainly prefer the first as it feels more on theme for me. I'm a bit confused by the slight negative vignette on the background - is that a result of post production tweaks or was there genuinely light leaking into the picture (not the camera!) from the corners? Perhaps it's just my eyes?! Good crisp detail on the flower - nicely done. Placement is interesting - I can almost sense you were umming and ahhing a bit about that. Your composition works for me, even though I actually think even more white space could also work - perhaps pushing the flower into just a quarter or less of the "canvas".

I'm less convinced by the barley TBH - I find the dynamic range and contrast has just been pushed a touch too far for me - super whites on the highlights and the almost "drawn" effect of the processing. It's interesting but not conveying the theme as strongly for me.

For me, the only thing the pictures are lacking - and this is not criticism - is contrast. Obviously not the technical (dynamic range) sort, but something impure to stand alongside the purity and therefore highlight it even further. Just because there isn't this contrast doesn't mean the pictures don't work (because they do) but it might strengthen them even further? I think it applies to quite a few pictures we see for this theme, not just yours so I probably should mention it every time to be fair!

Hi Allan ... I really like the flower ...I think the fact that its white, it makes it fit the theme better. You've just manged to hang on to the perfect shape of the flower against the white background ...well done with that, and you've kept the center nice and bright, not sure how you did that.but very nice it is.

Thanks Susie

Catch up time........

Skill - Definitely takes skill to make these given how old they are. I feel the green is a little too green on this one. Maybe picked up during processing?

Half - What a cracking shot for the theme. The detail in the poppy head is super. How easy are they to cut in two? I like the other two shots as well. Nice bokeh

Architectural - That's a very classic Chester scene. It must be years since I've been but I still remember the architecture in the city. A big thumbs up for spending the time making sure you where taking it straight down the middle. Super symmetry.

Promise - I would normally say the texture should just be applied to the background but in this case it really works as it's made the hand and arm look like an old granite statue. It adds to the juxtaposition which I like between the roughness and the clean white heart

Sharp - #2 for me. The white background really suits the spikes of the cactus. That image would make a stunning print on the wall.

Pure - #1 is another candidate for the wall. Super whites with the subtly of petal blending into background being sublime. Super job.

Skill is slightly over saturated maybe, can't remember what I did PP wise
Half not easy to cut as it was dry and quite brittle would have been better to cut it when fresh really
thanks for the nice comments about sharp and pure, i have never used any pictures for the wall, I am to critical of what i do.

Hi Allan... two good captures for Pure. I certainly prefer the first as it feels more on theme for me. I'm a bit confused by the slight negative vignette on the background - is that a result of post production tweaks or was there genuinely light leaking into the picture (not the camera!) from the corners? Perhaps it's just my eyes?! Good crisp detail on the flower - nicely done. Placement is interesting - I can almost sense you were umming and ahhing a bit about that. Your composition works for me, even though I actually think even more white space could also work - perhaps pushing the flower into just a quarter or less of the "canvas".

I'm less convinced by the barley TBH - I find the dynamic range and contrast has just been pushed a touch too far for me - super whites on the highlights and the almost "drawn" effect of the processing. It's interesting but not conveying the theme as strongly for me.

For me, the only thing the pictures are lacking - and this is not criticism - is contrast. Obviously not the technical (dynamic range) sort, but something impure to stand alongside the purity and therefore highlight it even further. Just because there isn't this contrast doesn't mean the pictures don't work (because they do) but it might strengthen them even further? I think it applies to quite a few pictures we see for this theme, not just yours so I probably should mention it every time to be fair!

Hi Paul thanks for the crit, the negative vignette was a mistake, in my defence I took the plunge and subscribed to Photoshop cc and Lightroom about a week or so ago so I was playing with sliders and forgot to put it back,
I had been looking at it for a while and had become blind to it I suppose, I noticed it for the first time this morning on my phone, have fixed it now I think.

Your comments on contrast are interesting, I never put much explanation with my pics, but to me the purity lies with the flower (a natural thing) and also the whiteness (always seen as a sign of purity) of the image.
I think the problem with adding something else to the image (not just this one) would be will anybody get the pure theme or read it another way.
Thanks again, now you have me thinking about it, always a good thing (y)

Hi Allan :)

Sharp - They are both cracking shots, loads of detail, lit very well and liking your composition on both of them, tough to choose... but I'm going with the second image with the white background (y)

Pure - I'm going for the flower as the second shot looks more overexposed to me on my monitor, the flower shows it's delicate outline nicely, good composition again :)

Hiya Alan, when I saw the flower I though 'pure white' :) and it certainly looks it, just enough detail to show the outline, great shot (y)

Hi, #2 for me. #1 is a lovely clean photograph but I've seen too many, maybe I'm a little jaded.

#2 is well composed and the clean BG works well. I'm never good at noticing too much sharpening, but it looks a little oversharpened?? Light maybe a little harsh on the RH tips.

Good show and one I can see on a restaurant wall.

Cheers.

Hi ya

WOW....pure #1 all the way...... stop being so critical of yourself & get that one framed.....even a square crop would suit , it is a totally sublime image.....:clap::clap::clap:

#2 is also great & had you posted just that one I would still be equally impressed but it can't compete with #1 in my eye's

Question.....is #1 as shot or have you tweaked in post ? Just curious

Architecture - great old building, even the bright sky works with it, needs a bit more room around it, but there probably wasnt, or you couldn;t go wide enough.

Promise, super job on the PP this week, texture is ace and really does give a stony look to the hand. Good lighting on the base image, and good masking to keep the texture off the heart. :clap:

Second sharp is the one for me, couldn;t be more suitable for the theme, and of course for a theme as this if focus was off, it would never do, but here is plenty sharp enough. Touch more DOF to get the tips of the bits coming towards us to be equally sharp but thats a minor nitpick. Love it.

And Pure, liking them both but the first takes it, the purple centre with the soft purity of the white leaves is ace, Wheat ear has good detail but does appear to have had contrast pushed too far in post.

Hi Allan
Pure -#1 White on white, nature, a perfect flower - has to be spot on the theme. Well handled and that splodge of colour in the centre adds a little bit of contrast to the white purity element. :clap:
#2 seems a bit overbright/exposed on the seed head and in any event is overshadowed by #1

WEEK 35 SPARKLE

Pennisetum by allanhowe, on Flickr

sparkle what a terrible subject, had a play this afternoon and this is the best I can come up with or to be honest am bothered to come up with
glycerin saved the day

Sparkle - lovely shot. Imaginative take on the theme and you have captured it beautifully.

loads of tiny little droplets there, does give it a nice sparkle.

Even without much enthusiasm, you really do make some of these themes look easy. :)

Nice shot. Super sharp which certainly accentuates the water drops and hence the sparkles. The black is spot on as is the slight angle of the subject.

Viewed large on flickr the detail is excellent Allan, the droplets really sparkle, good clean black bg and good colour in the plant (y)

WEEK 36 FALL

Fall apart by allanhowe, on Flickr

This is Scruffy Janes bear he is 50 years old, he looks like he might fall apart due to love Jane says i think maybe a bit of torture too.
So "fall apart" crowbar maybe required.

Fall is a belter. I do like how lightpainting brings out the tones and textures....that is if you did lightpaint :thinking:

I'm getting less concerned whether submissions are bang on theme, and I'm quite happy if there is a connection. I'd rather a submission like this than a photograph of an apple falling from a tree.

I like how it's a tight photograph and especially how teddy's head is on a tilt.

Cheers.

Hi, I'm liking the thought behind sparkle and agree that it's a terrible theme :(

Cheers.

thanks
Well it is sparkly, nicely lit, some interesting colours, good blacks - nowt wrong with that (y)

thanks
Sparkle - lovely shot. Imaginative take on the theme and you have captured it beautifully.

thank you
loads of tiny little droplets there, does give it a nice sparkle.

Even without much enthusiasm, you really do make some of these themes look easy. :)

Thanks I am not sure thats true
Allan... super take for a super-difficult theme. You've done well to grab this (even thought I know you staged it and it was probably quite a bit of work!)

Genuinely nothing to crit there... it all works so well. (y)

Thanks not much work besides a trip to the chemist for glycrin
Hi Allan...at first I thought it was a carnivorous plant with those tiny droplets on it....you've certainly made it wonderfully sparkly and the black background is perfect for it....well done on your creation :)

Thank you
Nice shot. Super sharp which certainly accentuates the water drops and hence the sparkles. The black is spot on as is the slight angle of the subject.

thanks
Viewed large on flickr the detail is excellent Allan, the droplets really sparkle, good clean black bg and good colour in the plant (y)

ta
Sparkle is great Allan, nice bg and the lighting works very well.

thanks

Fall is a belter. I do like how lightpainting brings out the tones and textures....that is if you did lightpaint :thinking:

I'm getting less concerned whether submissions are bang on theme, and I'm quite happy if there is a connection. I'd rather a submission like this than a photograph of an apple falling from a tree.

I like how it's a tight photograph and especially how teddy's head is on a tilt.

Cheers.

No light painting just 2 flashguns with diffusers main light from the left of the pic and a little less from the right

Naaaaahhh mate, no crowbar there, fits the theme fine for me... Love the black background and the shiny reflective surface (would be nice to see a tad more of it :)) Super lighting too, bringing out the great threadbear details (y)

sorry no more available it was quite tight in the frame did trim a little off the right hand side but thats all

Loving Fall, Allan - great shot. My first thought (which it seems echoes Dean's) is that seeing more of that very nice reflective floor would be a bonus. It'd help anchor the image a touch more, perhaps. But it's still a super shot, well thought out and on theme.

I'm struggling with ideas for this which are compelling - you've done well!

Hi Allan

Sparkle....killer of a theme which you've got a great shot for....fab black bg , slightly angle & lots of sparkle......no crit from me just a :clap:

Fallen.....brilliant ! Again , nothing to really crit baring would like to see a smidge more of the reflection , super lighting bringing out plenty of detail :clap:

Poor teddy - he has been well loved! Definately got the lighting nailed here.

shame kids in the current age are a bit more fickle wrt teddies. My eldest has had proabbly only 3 or 4 favourites in his 8 years, and the youngest has a new favourite (that he will love forever) everytime we go to a zoo or somewhere.

They are all loved though, and definately won't be parted with, but I doubt any of them will get to that level of lovedness!

Loving Fall, Allan - great shot. My first thought (which it seems echoes Dean's) is that seeing more of that very nice reflective floor would be a bonus. It'd help anchor the image a touch more, perhaps. But it's still a super shot, well thought out and on theme.

I'm struggling with ideas for this which are compelling - you've done well!

Thanks Paul as mentioned above no more floor reflection to see, sorry

Hi Allan

Sparkle....killer of a theme which you've got a great shot for....fab black bg , slightly angle & lots of sparkle......no crit from me just a :clap:

Fallen.....brilliant ! Again , nothing to really crit baring would like to see a smidge more of the reflection , super lighting bringing out plenty of detail :clap:

Thanks Lynne next time there is a reflection I will definitely include it, although I am sure everyone will be saying there is too much:D

Poor teddy - he has been well loved! Definately got the lighting nailed here.

shame kids in the current age are a bit more fickle wrt teddies. My eldest has had proabbly only 3 or 4 favourites in his 8 years, and the youngest has a new favourite (that he will love forever) everytime we go to a zoo or somewhere.

They are all loved though, and definately won't be parted with, but I doubt any of them will get to that level of lovedness!

Thanks Graham, kids of today hey on saying that I don't have mine

Whats not to love about this one Allan....I still have my original teddy too. Super lighting, nice deep black background and a very original choice for the theme...loved this one the minute I saw it :clap:

Thank you Susie

Hi Allan

Sparkle - well set up and handled. I like the concept of what, on the face of it, is a non sparkly item of nature which is transformed by light and water to give an understated sparkliness.

Fall - really nice shot / Good detail, tones and textures. Humorous slumped pose. Good lighting enhancing the tawny colours. Bit worried with how you portray your bears - always in a slightly sinister way :eek:

Back