weekly Asha Film 52 with 52 Different Cameras Challenge WEEK 52: Completed!....

I like the OOF feel to the image. I don't know if it's the camera or the angle you're shooting at but the image looks compressed slightly, so the building behind the car looks closer than it is! It works though (y)

I quite like that, the slight oof does lend itself to the image.

Seems the OOF effect is appealling to several people.

Thanks for your all your comments and encouragement.

Week 5
A bit of a laugh this week as what with foul weather causing an obstacle in taking this camera outdoors and a period of general frustration, I felt this image very much expressed my present state of mind:D :D
I've never shot a small object like this before with this type of camera so it was quite interesting to find I had made an error in believing that exposure compensation had to be added due to the bellows being extended to their maximum ( approx 10 inches longer than needed for infinity focusing!)
Four attempts were made for this shot, the first two accidently being developed in a 1:29 STOP solution as I got my chemicals mixed up :bang: :bang:
The other two attempts both being overexposed, this being the better one.
It definetly expresses my present emotion :LOL:

week5etunderwood.jpg

Shot at 2012-02-02

The camera used this week was a Half Plate E T Underwood Instanto.(Picture below)

halfplateetunderwoodins.jpg

Shot at 2012-02-02

CHS 100 quarter plate film ( using half - quarter plate adapter)
F/8
42 seconds
Ilford chemistry
Canoscan 8800F

Comments welcome as always.

Last edited:
Quality picture, and having read the hassle you went through to get it, well done :) Is the neg completely dark on the highlights then or do you think it's something you could get a bit more out of if you had a scanner with higher dynamic range?

I presoaked on a dev run for the first time last night and, when the initial soak came out black, I thought I had stuffed the film (I had heard there's some deposits from the anti-halation layer washing off in a presoak, but this was filthy water!), but the negs look nicely balanced after drying.

I love this film lark :)

Nice pictures my friend very good, but do have to say as much as these are good there not part of the 52 so should be on another page.

Quality picture, and having read the hassle you went through to get it, well done :) Is the neg completely dark on the highlights then or do you think it's something you could get a bit more out of if you had a scanner with higher dynamic range?

I presoaked on a dev run for the first time last night and, when the initial soak came out black, I thought I had stuffed the film (I had heard there's some deposits from the anti-halation layer washing off in a presoak, but this was filthy water!), but the negs look nicely balanced after drying.

I love this film lark :)

Thank you!

Yes this film lark is good fun isn't it :D

I think I could possibly get more out of a better scanner as upon close inspection there is still some detail in the highlights...TBH I haven't mastered everything about the Canoscan 8800F that I have so there's a fair chance i could get more out it.
After all the hassle I had, I'm just glad I managed to get an image that has a reasonable resemblance of the actual subject.

Pre soaking film is something I've never done...i reckon I would have thought the film was ruined too if i saw filthy water.....Film never ceases to amaze me as to how resiliant it is.
I've occassionaly got very annoyed with the stuff when loading spirals etc etc and been convinced that there is not a chance that the film will survive the abuse but surprisingly it does!

Last edited:
daryl1969 said:
but do have to say as much as these are good there not part of the 52 so should be on another page.
Doing a 52 challenge is a personal choice, this thread is in the 52's forum. There are others doing the 52 but not following the themes!

I think this thread is in the right place!

:LOL: What a funny little bear. That image could fit a number of the themes!

How small is he?

Hi Marsha,

The little fella is a "bad taste bear" .....suits my personality to a tea he does:D

He stands about 7cm high when he's sat :LOL: and his feet are about the same distance apart so very roughly he's about half the size that you see him in the image.

Nice pictures my friend very good, but do have to say as much as these are good there not part of the 52 so should be on another page.

Thank you for your kind words Daryl. Glad you like my film attempts.(y)

I'm not fully understanding why you suggest the images should be on another page as this is my 52 film challenge thread.....Perhaps you are confusing this with the 52 digital challenges??:shrug: Unless I'm missing something??:shrug:

Doing a 52 challenge is a personal choice, this thread is in the 52's forum. There are others doing the 52 but not following the themes!

I think this thread is in the right place!

If it's not then I'm sure someone will tell me or move it ( Mods, other 52 film challengers etc)

If it's not then I'm sure someone will tell me or move it ( Mods, other 52 film challengers etc)

It is in the right place, the themes suggested by TP are merely suggested themes, no rules say we have to shoot to fit them :)

Sorry if i have made a mistake, didnt realise there were more than 1, 52 challenge on the same link. suppose it makes it all a bit confusing were some of us are following a theme and others are not. But as i said love the pics especially the old looking cameras. How technology has moved on.

Sorry if i have made a mistake, didnt realise there were more than 1, 52 challenge on the same link. suppose it makes it all a bit confusing were some of us are following a theme and others are not. But as i said love the pics especially the old looking cameras. How technology has moved on.

No problems Daryl, Yes technology is much advanced and continues to move forward but the basis of photography remains the same...A light tight box with a whole to let light in at one end and somesort of medium to record the image at the other!

It is in the right place, the themes suggested by TP are merely suggested themes, no rules say we have to shoot to fit them :)

Thanks for the confirmation all is in it's right place Rob(y)

as i said love the pics especially the old looking cameras.

I hope to use many more different cameras out of my collection over the coming weeks so watch this space as I will post the camera used with each shot.

Good luck with your challenge Asha i'm really enjoying you work so far.

Thanks Nick .....I'd like to think that the results will come easier as the weeks past by learning from my mistakes....something tells me I may well find myself making different mistakes instead:LOL:

Asha, I'm not sure which I'm looking forward to more with this thread.. the great photography or the beautiful cameras! Very interesting seeing such a modern still-life from antique equioment.

Asha, I'm not sure which I'm looking forward to more with this thread.. the great photography or the beautiful cameras! Very interesting seeing such a modern still-life from antique equioment.

Thanks Alastair,
I'm delighted, and at times pleasantly surprised by the feedback as I often think my shots are inferior to those of other people......Going by the comments from you guys, they can't be so bad(y)
Seems there are quite a few people fascinated by the cameras and the results that can be achieved by them...nice to know so many people are interested in vintage as well as modern(y)
I have to confess that I sometimes demand the services of my assistant ( my mrs) to pass or hold things for me or indeed to be the subject.;)
Can't rely on her to help calculate exposure though as she's hopeless at maths!:LOL:
I'm already working out next weeks shot......:woot:

Quality, only just seen your photos. All are excellent but love Week 5...like the effects you get with the old cameras..

Quality, only just seen your photos. All are excellent but love Week 5...like the effects you get with the old cameras..

Thank you!....I'm glad you like them.(y)

At the rate I'm going I'll be doing a 52 with 52 different cameras although that was not my initial intention.:D

Thank you!....I'm glad you like them.(y)

At the rate I'm going I'll be doing a 52 with 52 different cameras although that was not my initial intention.:D

Yes, do it. With the cameras you have that will be far more of a challenge than mine, at least I can just carry my little 'folders' around with me until I see something to shoot.

I'm loving seeing the images you're producing from your magnificent camera collection, they even make my Toyo 4x5 seem like a point and shoot.

Yes, do it. With the cameras you have that will be far more of a challenge than mine, at least I can just carry my little 'folders' around with me until I see something to shoot.

I'm loving seeing the images you're producing from your magnificent camera collection, they even make my Toyo 4x5 seem like a point and shoot.

Thanks for the encouragement Nick, I could be tempted to work my way through 52 cameras. It would get me to use several that I haven't put a film through yet.....

I'm wanting to gather all my gear together and get a shot of it all.......I can sort the floor space, I'ts the amount of time/work invloved in laying it all out for a photo that's putting me off.......I'll have to get that assistant of mine to help ...The Mrs!! LOL

The local Carnaval here in Nice is set to start very soon.:banana:
Preperations for the seating, lighting, big screens etc are ongoing at the moment.
I didn't envy the guys in the foreground scraping old number stickers off the seats whilst suffering a bitterly cold north wind directly off the snow covered Alps!

week6dacoradignette.jpg

Shot at 2012-02-08

A dramatic change of camera and format this week:

This Dacora Dignette (35mm) camera was bought for 1 euro ( less than £1) on a vide grenier ( the equivalent of a UK car boot sale).
The shutter didn't work at all but with some tlc it started out operating pretty much ok until about a dozen frames into the film when after each shot was taken, the film refused to wind on until the shutter was fired a second time.:puke:

In an attempt to avoid double exposures, I simply held my hand over the lens whilst releasing the shutter, nonetheless I was convinced I would get very few decent results.
Surprisingly every shot of the 36 exposure film came out the only faults being from the photograher ( OOF etc)

dacoradignette.jpg

Shot at 2012-02-08

Ilford HP5
ISO 400
F/11
1/200
Ilford Chemistry
Canoscan 8800F

Last edited:
Thanks Michael,(y)
For me its the angles ....There are triangles ( or near triangles!) all over the image which is what drew me to it.....Even the composition of the seating against the sky and the buildings in the frame are set at a triangle.:nuts:

Thank you Marsha.
I'm already deep into arranging week 7 with another different camera :nuts:
I will have to disciplin myself :rules: during this coming week and find some time to post some feedback for you're 52........I've only got your first 6 weeks to catch up on! :bang:

Week 7

Posting 2 shots this week as I can't make my mind up which I prefer...I prefer the lighting on No1 but the composure on No2.....

1. IMG]http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1060/52495406.jpg[/IMG]
Shot at 2012-02-14

72423951.jpg

Shot at 2012-02-14

Both shot on this Thornton Pickard Triple Extension Camera which, not unlike some of the others I have, was brought back to life with some tlc following many years stored in someones loft gathering dust and generally decaying!
The curtain shutter does work on this camera but as is often the case it is very fragile so I prefer to do long exposure shots but dependant on the light, I am forced to stop down considerably.

halfplatethorntonpickar.jpg

Shot at 2012-02-14

CHS 25 quarter plate film ( using half - quarter plate adapter)
F/64
10 seconds ( No1) 3 seconds (No2)
Ilford chemistry
Canoscan 8800F

Comments welcome!

Last edited:
For some reason No2 wouldn't post ...here it is:

56491911.jpg

Shot at 2012-02-14

Last edited:
I love the (y) the tones are great :clap: I'm hoping to have my first bash at film work later this year (y)

Matt

Blimey they took some posting today:bang: .....Dunno if it's ImageShack or TP but took several attempts at getting the images to show on here!

Thanks for your reply Matt(y)........I ended up taking 2 shots as whilst I was beginning to pack stuff away, the light changed and i was a little unsure which would look better so I set up and again for the second shot but didn't get the exact same composure:(....If I had just packed up and gone with one shot then I wouldn't be debating which one I prefer!:bonk:

Be carefull...Once you come over to F&C, there's no going back!!!!! :D :D

Last edited:
Both nice, I would go for number 2, works very well for me. This reminds me, I have a roll of film to processed that I ran through my Canon exee a few months back!

Thanks Michael.......sometimes I wish I could make myself just take one shot of a subject as I always end up undecided which to print......:bang:

Get processing buddy ...lets see those film shots!(y)

Back