weekly blakesters 52 for 2013 Finally Complete! Last 3 weeks added

Hi Iain

Work - fast off the mark :clap: and another example of your craft skills.
Good lighting, colour, comp. pov and dof. An excellent photograph.

Thanks Allan (y)
I must admit that I use this 52 for craft nearly as much for photography. I find the themes some weeks a chance to indulge my making props to take photographs of :LOL:

Another great shot. The stark white BG is really good as it sets off the shiny wire. Thumbs up again

Cheers Carl, much appreciated (y)

another good one I like it more for the fact that it is all your own work, as someone pointed out it is quite sinister like a modern day version of that old film "The Hand" :clap:

Brilliant good luck with your next 52!!

Thanks Tom :cautious: :LOL:

www.camera101.info

another good one I like it more for the fact that it is all your own work, as someone pointed out it is quite sinister like a modern day version of that old film "The Hand" :clap:

Thanks Alan, all my own work (y) I could call it that for this weeks theme :LOL:
I like the fact that some, as yourself think it has a sinister feel to it, it gives it an edge.

Hi Iain:wave:
Sorry just been so busy lately to do much commenting :(
So a catch up is needed....
Wild, I didn't get it at al, I just thought it was a random bunch of wild shots :bonk:Only cottoned on when I read a few comments :coat: But then I didn't see DK's flow shot last year either, so I guess these are a bit beyond my brain capacity! It does make you wonder how I do a job that requires good mental agility! Lovely shots all of them, although woodface had some amazing detail :clap:

Space, when I first saw these on flikr I didn't realise they were Lego. Your ability to make things things is amazing, you have an eye for detail that repeatedly amazes me. I actually prefer number one with the slightly faded reflections.

Work, see most of my comments for Space: So, do you have an ever growing box of wire figures and body parts? I think in like these as much as your pebbke feet. Great DOF, love the high key and inhospitable the drop shadow;) I'm still not sure on the stand, maybe it's just to dark. Either way a great shot.

Hi Iain:wave:
Sorry just been so busy lately to do much commenting :(
So a catch up is needed....
Wild, I didn't get it at al, I just thought it was a random bunch of wild shots :bonk:Only cottoned on when I read a few comments :coat: But then I didn't see DK's flow shot last year either, so I guess these are a bit beyond my brain capacity! It does make you wonder how I do a job that requires good mental agility! Lovely shots all of them, although woodface had some amazing detail :clap:

Space, when I first saw these on flikr I didn't realise they were Lego. Your ability to make things things is amazing, you have an eye for detail that repeatedly amazes me. I actually prefer number one with the slightly faded reflections.

Work, see most of my comments for Space: So, do you have an ever growing box of wire figures and body parts? I think in like these as much as your pebbke feet. Great DOF, love the high key and inhospitable the drop shadow;) I'm still not sure on the stand, maybe it's just to dark. Either way a great shot.

Hi Marsha :wave:
Long time no see, hope you are feeling better.
Wild, someone mentioned it was too subtle, so you do have a point about not seeing it, it's not just you so I have probably missed the mark with it.

Space, again someone at work saw it on Facebook and initially didn't realise it was Lego, again maybe too subtle and needs to be seen close up.

Work :LOL: I do have a growing collection of bodies and body parts. Who knows by the end of the year I could assemble a whole body. I have, to date, polystyrene head, pair of wooden hands and of course I would have to include a pair of pebble feet :LOL:

Thanks again Marsha, it's so nice to see you back :D

Body parts?.... Dare I ask your job.... I'm curious lol!!

Iain that's a belter of a composition. I like the detail on the fingers with the depth of field at the wrist. Another very original entry, look forward to next week.

Great job on work there. Considering you're a taxidermist, I'm glad the hand was only made of metal!

Iain that's a belter of a composition. I like the detail on the fingers with the depth of field at the wrist. Another very original entry, look forward to next week.

Thanks Dave, some weeks/themes lend themselves to creativity for me, others need a more literal take. This was a creative week happily :D
I am looking forward to the next theme too. I might just have put the poisoned tongue on that having said that :LOL:

Great job on work there. Considering you're a taxidermist, I'm glad the hand was only made of metal!

Cheers Ray, I am not really a taxidermist, I was being cheeky, I work in emergency services. (y)

OMG...can't believe I've fallen so far behind with your thread.....SORRY :crying:

In no particular order...

Wild......great to see the finished product ...works really well & on theme in at least 2 ways...wild things make up the photo & it spells Wild.....you're just to nifty matey :clap: & it was Robbi's eagle eye that spotted the Woodface tree (y)

Space.....oh , that brings back memories of a mis-spent but fun youth :D Think I'm prefering #1...the reflections seem more realistic...:clap:...gotta ask....you have young children or just a collection of lego ??

Work....nothing to say but :notworthy::notworthy: Superb.....
What type of wire is it ? solder flex ? just curious....there really is no end to your talents matey....good to meet up with you again....Malverns was a fun few days (y)

OMG...can't believe I've fallen so far behind with your thread.....SORRY :crying:

In no particular order...

Wild......great to see the finished product ...works really well & on theme in at least 2 ways...wild things make up the photo & it spells Wild.....you're just to nifty matey :clap: & it was Robbi's eagle eye that spotted the Woodface tree (y)

Space.....oh , that brings back memories of a mis-spent but fun youth :D Think I'm prefering #1...the reflections seem more realistic...:clap:...gotta ask....you have young children or just a collection of lego ??

Work....nothing to say but :notworthy: Superb.....
What type of wire is it ? solder flex ? just curious....there really is no end to your talents matey....good to meet up with you again....Malverns was a fun few days (y)

:LOL: No worries about falling behind Lynne, no apology required.

I wasn't sure who found woodface having just returned from climbing that hill :puke: (I think the hill climb was Andy's idea :LOL:) to find you all around that tree but it was a great spot by our wee Scottish pal ;)

Space, I have two daughters Lynne but they are 19 and 22, the lego was around since they were younger, I just resurrected it from a cupboard :LOL:

Work is just galvanised garden wire from B&Q, not the most flexible of stuff but it is cheap and cheerful and does a job.

I enjoyed the Malverns too, always good to spend time in yours and the others company.

:LOL: not sure I'd dip a twix in egg, but it certainly makes for a gluttonous breakfast!
Great composition and lighting, and the little trickle of yolk down the egg adds a splash of colour. Great work as always (y)

Thanks Marsha(y)
:LOL: The yolk is icing sugar Marsha so is all perfectly palatable...I think :LOL:
I didn't eat any of the props but am reliably informed by Mrs Blakester that it was fine :LOL:

Great handy work with the wire model, the framing and use of a white background really shows it off.

The only minor crit to an overall great shot is that you have virtually lost the far edge of the plate and it blends into the background but that is only very minor.

Great handy work with the wire model, the framing and use of a white background really shows it off.

The only minor crit to an overall great shot is that you have virtually lost the far edge of the plate and it blends into the background but that is only very minor.

Cheers f4e (y)
Yes I noticed that afterwards, I was faffing about with this for ages this afternoon, trying lighting/flash from different angles. I ended up over exposing it intenionally to get the look I was after. The upshot was losing the back edge of the plate. I wasn't too bothered as the eggs distract a little from this :LOL:

Oh wow Iain that works sooooo well!.... Adore the running yoke and composition is first class!!

Oh wow Iain that works sooooo well!.... Adore the running yoke and composition is first class!!

Thanks Trace, and no mess was made nor chocolate eaten ;)

The yolk is icing sugar that I made all by myself using a bit of food colouring.
Jamie Oliver has got nothing on me and my chef skills :LOL:

Iain, Iain, Iain. this really is not up to your usual standard......

:naughty:

No, really, it is another cracker. The overall lighting is great and this brings out nice detail in the props, especially the Twix bars. It's a very clean photograph, almost high key, which I like. I like the composition and the odd number really works for me. And as an ex squaddie, I do like a soldier.

Crit, well, the lighting seems to darken slightly from left to top right.

Good show mate (y)

Cheers.

Iain, Iain, Iain. this really is not up to your usual standard......

:naughty:

No, really, it is another cracker. The overall lighting is great and this brings out nice detail in the props, especially the Twix bars. It's a very clean photograph, almost high key, which I like. I like the composition and the odd number really works for me. And as an ex squaddie, I do like a soldier.

Crit, well, the lighting seems to darken slightly from left to top right.

Good show mate (y)

Cheers.

:LOL: Cheers Andy
The lighting.....ah the lighting, I faffed about for a while on this. I knew the look I was after and was trying ocf to achieve it but it made for some horrible hotspots on the eggs. I decided natural light was the way to go.
This was set up in my studio, well when I say studio I mean in the my hall with light coming in through the glass on my front door :LOL:

I used a diffuser to soften the light and this was the result, slight fall off of light as you mentioned but I can live with it, well I will have to as that was my best effort :LOL: Cheers Andy

Ok so when I looked earlier I had my kids climbing all over me, I didn't realise the eggs were chocolate, that is definitely my kind of breakfast!!!

:LOL: No worries Marsha, I thought it'd appeal to you chocolate lovers :LOL:
The icing sugar yolk just sets my teeth on edge, far too sweet for my taste.

brilliant! really love this, very creative, clean crips image, the white background and worksurafec works realy well...thikn I need to go away and rethink my breakfast now ;)

Cheers Chris, the white background and worksurface are one and the same. It is a piece of perspex from B&Q with a sheet of white paper behind it. I made it into a curve by resting it against my studio wall (front door :LOL: see earlier post).
Breakfast, most important meal of the day they say but I don't know about this option :LOL: I think Marsha would be happy with it though ;)

Back