weekly blakesters 52 for 2013 Finally Complete! Last 3 weeks added

blakester

Shine On Harvest Moon
Name
Iain
Edit My Images
No
Well i am in for another year :D

I have started the thread early, even though I haven't completed the 52 for 2012 yet. I see this as an incentive to get week 52 done.

I am looking forward to the year ahead and meeting everyone along the way. Good luck all!

Last edited:
Good Luck Iain look forward to seeing what you produce(y)

Good to see you back for 2013 Iain :clap:

Looking forward to seeing some more fab shots from you this year (y)

Good luck to you too Iain - looking forward to seeing your next 52 (y)

Thanks Dean, I've not finished this 52 yet but am away from home at the moment and my props for the theme are at home. I will hopefully get busy done on Tuesday now. Then I can crack on with the new 52.

Good Luck Iain look forward to seeing what you produce(y)

Thanks T, I willbe looking out for your 365 shots too.

Good to see you back for 2013 Iain :clap:

Looking forward to seeing some more fab shots from you this year (y)

Thanks Lynne, I somehow got through this years so thought I'd give it another go.

Yay, glad to see you back for another year. Fingers crossed we get the odd default pebble shots :)

Funny you should say that Marsha, I may or may not be finishing 2012 on that very thing ;)

Thank you Iain..... hopefully i can keep it going and keep it strong :D

Im real interested in this how does it work and how do i put my name down

Im real interested in this how does it work and how do i put my name down

Its quite straightforward Nick, start your own 52 thread in the Projects, Personal Challenges & Themes forum.
The themes are posted every Saturday morning through the year in the Competitions, Challenges forum. There is a sticky at the top of the page.
Interpret the theme in whichever fashion you wish post your photos in your thread for comments & critique (and reciprocate in others).
Jump in, have a go and enjoy!
Apologies that I haven't put any links in here but have a bit of a search, there are plenty guides around. Cheers Iain

:clap:

Welcome back.

:LOL: Cheers Andy,
It might be a bit of a slow start, I have ordered some props for week 1 Sin from t'internet. When they arrive I need to find the time to shoot my idea for the theme. However, I am away on a residential course for work from Sunday afternoon. It is a 2 week course which is very time intensive so wont be shooting anything whilst on the course. The weekend is free in the middle of the 2 weeks so will try to stay on top of things but no promises.
After that, it will be back to normal workwise (or as normal as that can be ;))

I am looking forward to the year Andy and have been having a think about if I could do things any differently to last year. I came to the conclusion that I will see how it goes. Work hours are unpredictable, nowt can be done there. There are still a few personal (family) issues ongoing but again unpredictable so will deal with these as they come.

Thanks for looking in again Andy (y)

Week 1 of my 52 for 2013.

My take on the theme is probably more the antithesis of sin rather than sin itself. "Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil"

Comments and critique are welcome as always. Iain

1 - Sin by iain blake, on Flickr

Iain, the goods have been produced once again.

Unique take which I like. I know it's the same head but the facial expressions seem to change when th hand position is changes :nuts:

The lighting has really emphasised the shadows and the WB looks spot on for me. Good symmetry and detail.

BG looks a bit patchy? Not sure what the BG is, is at wall paper? Wonder what a black BG would have looked like.

Good show.

Cheers.

Great interpretation of the topic. Well done

Iain, the goods have been produced once again.

Unique take which I like. I know it's the same head but the facial expressions seem to change when th hand position is changes :nuts:

The lighting has really emphasised the shadows and the WB looks spot on for me. Good symmetry and detail.

BG looks a bit patchy? Not sure what the BG is, is at wall paper? Wonder what a black BG would have looked like.

Good show.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy (y)

The head was set up against a painted wall in my house. I never thought to have a black background, its something I could easily try as its all still set up out in my hall :LOL:

Great interpretation of the topic. Well done

Thank you Mandy (y) your comments are much appreciated.

Hi Iain, it's nice to see you starting this 52 with the sort of props you used last year (y)
I like the triptych but think the orders slightly wrong, it would help my OCD if it went see, hear, speak no evil :thinking:

Good to see you up and running this year :)

Hi Marsha,
Thanks for looking in/commenting (y)

The order probably is wrong, I looked on google and there are various interpretations of the saying. I too have a bit of an ocd about these things but this actually sits ok with mine :LOL:
The composition is an upturned triangle and it kinda appeals to me :LOL:

Thanks again, its good to get up and running on time and not posting late for a change.

Amazing start Iain, I've been looking forward to seeing what you come up with this year:clap:

Following Andy's and Marsha's suggestions, below is a reshoot and order edit of my take on the sin theme. C&C welcome as always.

Sin (2) by iain blake, on Flickr

Amazing start Iain, I've been looking forward to seeing what you come up with this year:clap:

Thanks Trace (y)
I was lastminutedotcom last year, so I am pleased that I could post this in plenty of time :LOL:

Hey Iain :)

Sin - Bugger, I had that as my second choice so hope my first works :D

I prefer the background of the edit, but from my old punk days a band called Discharge did a song called 'Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing' so I always relate to it as you did in the first take (They could well be wrong too :LOL:)

I love the contrast between the lifeless face (which now stand out great against the black) and the warm tones of the wooden hands, nice lighting as usual - Excellent start :clap:

Hey Iain :)

Sin - Bugger, I had that as my second choice so hope my first works :D

I prefer the background of the edit, but from my old punk days a band called Discharge did a song called 'Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing' so I always relate to it as you did in the first take (They could well be wrong too :LOL:)

I love the contrast between the lifeless face (which now stand out great against the black) and the warm tones of the wooden hands, nice lighting as usual - Excellent start :clap:

Cheers Dean (y)
If you use your second choice I think you should post it anyway, its bound to be different and there is only a finite number of takes on any theme, there's always going to be duplicates.
I should have tried a black background from the off :shrug:
It was no problem dropping in a black card for the background as I still have everything set up:LOL:
As I mentioned to Marsha, I did a google search and there are various versions.

Yeah... go on, rub it in :p

You'll get there once you have overcome your technical issues ;)

they are both great pics not sure which background i prefer they both have there merits excellent start :clap:

they are both great pics not sure which background i prefer they both have there merits excellent start :clap:

Thanks Allan, I am with you on that, I like both for differing reasons.

Oooo that appeases my OCD (y)

Now how have you lit this? I need to steal more tips (again) this year!

:LOL: No worries Marsha, it was a simple fix.
Lighting-wise, I tried a clamshell set-up. The head and hands were sat on a small table, I set my one and only flash high front of the head and had a reflector low front to throw some light back. The flash and camera on manual, camera set to low iso, exp 100 and f8. I was using my 105mm lens. I had the blinkies activated on camera and adjusted flash power accordingly. I had a flash diffuser on, power ended around 1/64 or 1/32 I think.

Great take on the theme can't wait to see more.

Cheers pstewy (y)

Much prefer the second version, as my eye is not drawn to the patchy background and they stand out better. The best of these composition wise is the first "see no evil" as you have the whole wrist joint showing

Thanks Christine, a mixture of compositions and backgrounds from both would work better I can see. Cheers (y)

Hi matey....

brilliant start to your project Iain ( not that I expected anything else)...you imagination always amazes me . Like botht the versions , can't nail a favorite....& I agree with andy , the facial expression does seem to change with each placement of the hands....how's that work then :LOL:

Roll on week 2 & see you in...oooh , 24 days....woohoo:clap:

Last edited:
Hi matey....

brilliant start to your project Iain ( not that I expected anything else)...you imagination always amazes me . Like botht the versions , can't nail a favorite....& I agree with andy , the facial expression does seem to change with each placement of the hands....how's that work then :LOL:

Roll on week 2 & see you in...oooh , 24 days....woohoo:clap:

Cheers Lynne (y)
Sometimes ideas just hit me then other times my mind is blank.
I am happy with this week though and the props I bought for it can be used again along the way.
The facial expression :thinking: no idea how they change :LOL: as Freddie Mercury once sung "it's a kinda magic" :LOL:

Yes I am really looking forward to the meet. Happy days!

I must remember the clamshell lighting! It works a treat :clap: Next question, what are the blinkies? How many times did i comment on your thread last year? :exit:

I'm still trying to negotiate days away from home for the meet!

Hi Marsha,
The blinkies are the flashing areas which show where an image is over exposed or blown highlights. I don't know about canon cameras but on Nikon I can enable it when viewing images. Your histogram should show you the same thing.

I used that as a reference because the head was bright white and could be easily blown by the flash. Not sure if this is the best/correct way to do it but it worked for me.

I only just signed up for the meet but it would be lovely to meet up with you again. Having met most of the others going on the meet, I can say they are a lovely bunch of people and I am really looking forward to it.

Your commenting on my thread is most welcome :LOL:

Ah yes, I put them on that when we were at the studio, but they wink at me a lot so they're off again:wacky:

I am hoping to make the meet, albeit for one day/ night, but we'll see. I always feel guilty having too much time away, a weekend away means not seeing the hubby for properly for nearly two weeks!

Ah yes, I put them on that when we were at the studio, but they wink at me a lot so they're off again:wacky:

I am hoping to make the meet, albeit for one day/ night, but we'll see. I always feel guilty having too much time away, a weekend away means not seeing the hubby for properly for nearly two weeks!

It's always a compromise with these things Marsha isn't it?
Understandable not seeing Mr Goblin two weeks properly is going to be an issue but here's hoping you can arrange something even if it is for a day/night :)

Back