weekly Blondie606's 52 in 2014 Wk 52 Support-THE END :-)

I like it Lynne, nice action shot catching the ball in there. It's nicely balanced with the other two players too. Crit wise I'd say the white rope is a little distracting in the background but I don't think that could be helped!

Works for me lovely colours, especially the greens.

I did wonder if a closer crop would work to exclude the LH guy, but nah, he works well in there. Shame you couldn't get a bit closer to get more of the wickets.

Good to see you expanding your portfolio (y)

Cheers.

I really like that Lynne. It's on theme (without being overtly so - nice) and it's a cracking action shot. I think the three guys together work for a few reason - balance and "odds".

My only slight crit is I'd like some space between the back of his foot and the stumps, but that's it! And it's a teenie weenie thing which doesn't really detract anyway.

Cracking shot - both by you and him!

pretty much textbook cricket shot there lynne, ball in shot, no players cut in half, bit of moivement in the bat.

and stumps nice and vertical.

Pretty certain I'd have been a lot closer to f/2.8 for a shot like that, might have softened the background fence and trees a bit, maybe at the expense of the leftmost fielder, but he's not contributing greatly to the shot anyway! :)

Hi Lynne, long time no post, sorry :(
Wild, wow thats bright :cool:, I do like it though I could see that as a large print, the bold vibrant colours are very appealing.

Dream, again, good work, it fits the brief well, I particularly like the muted colour tones.

Vertical, as Andy says, good work on expanding your portfolio in terms of subject matter.
I too would have been tempted to go for a shallower dof, but thats a creative choice on your part. All the elements come together well, three stumps echoed by three players.
Such a strange game though, my Scottishness bars me from understanding it ;)

I like it Lynne, nice action shot catching the ball in there. It's nicely balanced with the other two players too. Crit wise I'd say the white rope is a little distracting in the background but I don't think that could be helped!

Cheers Adam.....I guess a shallower DOF might have helped ? but I was just pleased to catch the ball in flight & get 3cplayers all relatively sharp :)

Hi Lynne,
good old English Cricket scene, good idea, nice clear shot and you stopped the ball nicely, there are lots of vertical in there from the wickets to the fence posts(y)(y)

Thanks Judi...really wanted a close up of the stumps but thought it would be frowned on to just wander on to the pitch randomly & start snapping away :rolleyes:

Hi Lynne ... as Judi says lots of assorted verticals in there ....well done with a very original idea for the theme ....a lovely location, you named it well :)

Cheers Susie :)

Works for me lovely colours, especially the greens.

I did wonder if a closer crop would work to exclude the LH guy, but nah, he works well in there. Shame you couldn't get a bit closer to get more of the wickets.

Good to see you expanding your portfolio (y)

Cheers.

Ta Andy...close u on the stumps was the original plan but had to settle for this....& I think it must be an age thing as I actually started to enjoy watching the game :eek:

I really like that Lynne. It's on theme (without being overtly so - nice) and it's a cracking action shot. I think the three guys together work for a few reason - balance and "odds".

My only slight crit is I'd like some space between the back of his foot and the stumps, but that's it! And it's a teenie weenie thing which doesn't really detract anyway.

Cracking shot - both by you and him!

Thanks Paul....yeah , his leg bugged me as well , took a few shots but either missed the ball or he totally covered the wicket....he obviously didn't know who I am :D

pretty much textbook cricket shot there lynne, ball in shot, no players cut in half, bit of moivement in the bat.

and stumps nice and vertical.

Pretty certain I'd have been a lot closer to f/2.8 for a shot like that, might have softened the background fence and trees a bit, maybe at the expense of the leftmost fielder, but he's not contributing greatly to the shot anyway! :)

learning curve as always Graham....might have another go next time I'm passing & try your suggestion of f2.8(y)

Hi Lynne, long time no post, sorry :(
Wild, wow thats bright :cool:, I do like it though I could see that as a large print, the bold vibrant colours are very appealing.

Dream, again, good work, it fits the brief well, I particularly like the muted colour tones.

Vertical, as Andy says, good work on expanding your portfolio in terms of subject matter.
I too would have been tempted to go for a shallower dof, but thats a creative choice on your part. All the elements come together well, three stumps echoed by three players.
Such a strange game though, my Scottishness bars me from understanding it ;)

No worries Iain...I'm at least a week behind with comments as well !
Glad you like Wild...it was starting to get a complex cos no-one understands it ;) As for Vertical.......I don't understand the game either but it was actually quite fun to watch ( never ever thought I'd say that about cricket !) :)

Hi Lynne

Wild - not for me this one I'm afraid very bright and confuzzling

Dream - now I do like this one has a lazy feel to it fits the theme perfectly

Vertical - a nice action shot lots of interest

Craig

Thanks Craig....I like confuzzling ;) thanks for commenting , much appreciated (y)

Right , my best intentions of catching up on comments has gone south this last week , apologies all & thanks for still stopping by & commenting on my shots . I WILL GET ROUND YOU ALL TONIGHT !!

Thought I'd best post up my shot for Yum before the new theme comes out....a friend of mine has just started her own business & we've been having a bit if a deal.....she keeps me in cupcakes & I do some photo's for her....think I got the better end of the deal :D

I only had a plain bg so added a light texture & a florabella action...dunno why , just seemed a good idea at the time.....:coat:

Wk 26 Yum jpeg by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

My crit is the frosting on the bitten cake blends a little too much in to the bg , both the cup & the plate appear to be on the squiff but they aren't , must be distortion or the angle I shot it at...part from that I'm quite happy......I suspect you lot will have other idea's though.....:(

Cheers

Hi Lynne ...I could do with a friend like that :)

The shot looks fine to me, very soft and dainty, as you say the icing does blend a bit, but I think a darker background would be too heavy and lighter a bit wishy washy, tell her to make slightly brighter icing next time :) ....good composition, the flower makes a nice addition, fits the theme perfectly and certainly says YUM.

Sheesh, if I haven't eaten enough cake this week.

Cake and tea......Oh, yeah.

I like the pastel feel to the photograph and the detail. I feel a little more work is needed on the blending, slightly darker BG, maybe.

Cheers.

Hi Lynne - looks like a lovely afternoon tea! There is something that looks a bit strange about the cakes blending into the background, as Andy mentioned maybe more contrast between the background and contrast would help. But still a great shot.

Hi Lynne :wave:
Yum is most certainly on theme, you've done a grand job here, I am sure your friend is chuffed with your photography on her cakes (y)
The pastel colours work well with the subject but I find the texture on the background a little distracting, i feel it needs to contrast a little more with the cake to get separation.

Hi Lynne ...I could do with a friend like that :)

The shot looks fine to me, very soft and dainty, as you say the icing does blend a bit, but I think a darker background would be too heavy and lighter a bit wishy washy, tell her to make slightly brighter icing next time :) ....good composition, the flower makes a nice addition, fits the theme perfectly and certainly says YUM.

Thanks Susie...yup , agree about the icing , she did make one cupcake with slightly darker icing...but I ate it :oops: :$ Hopefully I can get some more at some point...I strongly suspect this will be a reshoot :D
The flowers are all handmade from icing as well...she's far to clever !!

Sheesh, if I haven't eaten enough cake this week.

Cake and tea......Oh, yeah.

I like the pastel feel to the photograph and the detail. I feel a little more work is needed on the blending, slightly darker BG, maybe.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy....yup ,agree totally ...I may revisit & try better blending (y)

Hi Lynne - looks like a lovely afternoon tea! There is something that looks a bit strange about the cakes blending into the background, as Andy mentioned maybe more contrast between the background and contrast would help. But still a great shot.

Thanks Richard..it was lovely ...just need to make the shot as good as the subject :)

Yum - I love the processing on this image nicely captured excellent work, and bang on the theme for me i would love one off them cupcakes now :)

I can highly recommend the cupcakes....totally scrummy :D

Hi Lynne :wave:
Yum is most certainly on theme, you've done a grand job here, I am sure your friend is chuffed with your photography on her cakes (y)
The pastel colours work well with the subject but I find the texture on the background a little distracting, i feel it needs to contrast a little more with the cake to get separation.

Thanks Iain...yup agree totally...more work needed which means more cupcakes....I am commited to the task after all :rolleyes:

Right , quick post from me this week

I'm still a little bemused by the theme:thinking: However , a day spent wandering round the Yorkshire War Event gave me a couple of idea's....you need to use a little imagination here......

#1 - I strongly suspect this would be loud......
Wk 27 Loud 1 jpeg by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

#2....I know this was loud !

Wk 27 Loud 2 jpeg by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr
& before anyone says it....NO , I couldn't get a better angle.....public weren't allowed any further to the right , to the left I couldn't get a space & was further away from the action & further up field on the left ie looking more head on , put me even further away & shooting in to the sun :p
I kinda like it though simply because you can see "fire/flames " where the explosive hit the German tank

So , there ya go...my takes on Loud

TTFN

'Ello, #2 is a belter. It has a 3D feel to it. The framing works well, because being so close really put one in amongst the action. The muted colours suit the theme and the detail is super.

Yeah, seeing the whateveritison fire would be the icing on the cake but in think it would detract from the feel that you are really in there amongst the soldiers.

How annoyed am I that I missed it :arghh:

Cheers.

Hi Lynne,
#2 gets my vote too(y)
I think the angle you've taken it from is ideal, it gives the perspective of being there, being one of the soldiers so to speak. I too like the muted colours and detail. It's quite cinematic in look.

#1 works well too with the theme but I find the scene a little too busy IYSWIM?

Good work missus, take the rest of the week off;)

Hi Lynne,
Yum.. nice one getting a deal like that! only two small points I wouldn't have had the 2nd bun on the plate that you are eating from, might have had a couple at the back on a plate ready and there is a line across the top about a couple of cm down, a fold in the cloth maybe :clap::clap:
Loud.. no2 for me really nice shot, the angle, like Iain says makes you feel involved(y)

Yum... nice shot and on theme... makes you want to pick up that cake & wash it down with the tea...
Loud... yep I'd say that gun in #1 would certainly have you covering your ears were you anywhere near it...

First Loud is just super. Great photo, composition and processing. Just feels right - big thumbs up from me! I don't find the image at all busy - imagine what they'll have been contending that: what's shown in that photo is a fraction of what's going on!

Second Loud is a good shot, but for me not in the same league. You've pointed out the difficulties you faced taking it, so well done for getting one as good as you managed. Tank aerial cropped and the backs of people (without being able really to see what they're heading towards) are slight negatives for me. But otherwise a great pair of images. And LOUD!

My god...how much Starbucks had you drunk ???
Just a couple of strong ones, I do like my tripple shot skinny latte's :coffee:

....but I now have it in writing that you are doing the 52 next year :naughty:
Damn... hopefully nobody else saw it :exit:

Vertical - Now that is certainly NOT what I was expecting from you... and pleased to see you can't keep your hands off that new shiny 8" toy of yours, I would have liked a smaller DoF to concentrate the focus on the stumps, but unsure if the distance was too far for that anyway ?? - A nicely caught action shot still, with a tad of movement in the bat (Before you say club or racket) liking your composition with the 3 players and the colours not too saturated, hope you manage to get another shot (y)

Yum - What a great deal you have there... I'd be as round as a weeble again with offers like that !!! - First thoughts... won't go into the background too much seems you are beating yourself up over it already, it does looks nicely done but way too fussy and not complimenting the yumminess, the cup handle clipping the spoon too - sorry :) - but Ignoring them too elements and the flower on the plate behind the two cakes :naughty: the cakes themselves look wonderful, well lit, nicely nibbled and good detail and a decent colour to the tea to round it off (y)

... Just a thought, I think the next meet should involve a still life day, possibly with a large variety of these cup cakes :D

Loud - No issues here, liking both the shots, the PP on the first is perfect, a great DoF, looks like an old pic to me, bang on theme !!! as for the second shot, again sure says loud to me, a well timed exposure for the explosion, the muted colours again work for the subject, the composition again is bang on, the guy laying on the floor in the foreground tops it off for me... looks like you had a perfect place to wander :clap:

Last edited:
:wave: Lynne, 1st shot for me, love the processing, great detail and composition, it would certainly be loud(y) I might have been tempted to clone out the metal fence post/spike and fence just above the end of the gun back to the 2nd spike from the left :)

:thinking: 2nd shot needed a different pov...................:exit::D

Hi Lynne
Vertical - agree good action shot - has all the verticals - stumps, fence posts and non striker's bat. Agree with Andy re rope
Yum - I am not sure about this - I like the idea a lot and the gentile fee that you have created but some how it leaves me wanting more. Not sure what to say but I would have pushed the plate back a bit and put the spoon on the front of the cup pointing to the RH bottom corner so that there is more of a diag an compressed feel to the whole shot. I am not sure about the pinkish b/g and exposure as parts of the cakes and cup/saucer meld into the b/g.
Loud - #1 - would work better i feel if you could have been looking more from the LHS, showing the face and the business end of the gun
#2 i like a lot. Processing in that muted way gives it the period feel and the smoke really emphasise the theme. The pov makes the viewer feel part of the scene. (y)

cakes do look yummy, the texture works (sort of), looks like a slightly patterned tablecloth at first look, but then it starts to look vertical, rather than fading away with the surface of the table...., not sure how to overcome this, blur layer, graduated via a layer mask maybe. Or distort the texture layer to give a sense of perspective beforehand? :thinking:

first of the war event shots is absolutley spot on processing wise, a touch more space in front of the gun if I were to be picky. :clap:

Hi Lynne,
Yum, lovely colour and everything matches cup and cupcake case, icing a little lost as has been mentioned
Loud, first of all not a fan of dress up days, though thats irrelevant to the photos, not sure which of the two I prefer the PP on the first really does give it an old feel
the second one with the explosion works well too, but overall the first one I think :thinking:

Hi Lynne

Yum - great looking afternoon Tea and cake composition is spot on Im just not sure on the back round the main subjects blend in a bit too much for me.

Loud - Now I'm a fan of the first one a really old looking picture that fits the war theme l

'Ello, #2 is a belter. It has a 3D feel to it. The framing works well, because being so close really put one in amongst the action. The muted colours suit the theme and the detail is super.

Yeah, seeing the whateveritison fire would be the icing on the cake but in think it would detract from the feel that you are really in there amongst the soldiers.

How annoyed am I that I missed it :arghh:

Cheers.

Thanks Andy.........was a good fun day & got next years date in the diary already :)

Hi Lynne,
#2 gets my vote too(y)
I think the angle you've taken it from is ideal, it gives the perspective of being there, being one of the soldiers so to speak. I too like the muted colours and detail. It's quite cinematic in look.

#1 works well too with the theme but I find the scene a little too busy IYSWIM?

Good work missus, take the rest of the week off;)

Cheers Iain.... I never really thought about the perspective , thought I'd get blasted for having peoples backs in shot , but now you n Andy have mentioned it...yeah , like the idea of being in amongst them :)

Hi Lynne,
Yum.. nice one getting a deal like that! only two small points I wouldn't have had the 2nd bun on the plate that you are eating from, might have had a couple at the back on a plate ready and there is a line across the top about a couple of cm down, a fold in the cloth maybe :clap::clap:
Loud.. no2 for me really nice shot, the angle, like Iain says makes you feel involved(y)

Thanks Judi , wasn't really keen on the composition but struggled to know how else to do it...& no way was one enough...2 was being greedy but what the hell :rolleyes: The line I think is part of the texture added afterwards but well spotted , I missed it :oops: :$

Yum... nice shot and on theme... makes you want to pick up that cake & wash it down with the tea...
Loud... yep I'd say that gun in #1 would certainly have you covering your ears were you anywhere near it...

Cheers Colin :)

BANG! on...

ok I'll go now.

:D

Love shot number 1, Lynne. Really good. Certainly on theme! Nice use of colourisation too.

Cheers Simon...I like trying to get an old feel to this type of shot & sometimes it even works :)

First Loud is just super. Great photo, composition and processing. Just feels right - big thumbs up from me! I don't find the image at all busy - imagine what they'll have been contending that: what's shown in that photo is a fraction of what's going on!

Second Loud is a good shot, but for me not in the same league. You've pointed out the difficulties you faced taking it, so well done for getting one as good as you managed. Tank aerial cropped and the backs of people (without being able really to see what they're heading towards) are slight negatives for me. But otherwise a great pair of images. And LOUD!

Thanks Paul...I'm also more in favour of the 1st shot but kinda like the idea that you're in amongst the soldiers on the 2nd shot ( now it's been mentioned .Totally missed the tank aerial :banghead:....

Just a couple of strong ones, I do like my tripple shot skinny latte's :coffee:

Damn... hopefully nobody else saw it :exit:

Vertical - Now that is certainly NOT what I was expecting from you... and pleased to see you can't keep your hands off that new shiny 8" toy of yours, I would have liked a smaller DoF to concentrate the focus on the stumps, but unsure if the distance was too far for that anyway ?? - A nicely caught action shot still, with a tad of movement in the bat (Before you say club or racket) liking your composition with the 3 players and the colours not too saturated, hope you manage to get another shot (y)

Yum - What a great deal you have there... I'd be as round as a weeble again with offers like that !!! - First thoughts... won't go into the background too much seems you are beating yourself up over it already, it does looks nicely done but way too fussy and not complimenting the yumminess, the cup handle clipping the spoon too - sorry :) - but Ignoring them too elements and the flower on the plate behind the two cakes :naughty: the cakes themselves look wonderful, well lit, nicely nibbled and good detail and a decent colour to the tea to round it off (y)

... Just a thought, I think the next meet should involve a still life day, possibly with a large variety of these cup cakes :D

Loud - No issues here, liking both the shots, the PP on the first is perfect, a great DoF, looks like an old pic to me, bang on theme !!! as for the second shot, again sure says loud to me, a well timed exposure for the explosion, the muted colours again work for the subject, the composition again is bang on, the guy laying on the floor in the foreground tops it off for me... looks like you had a perfect place to wander :clap:

You sir have a wicked humour under that innocent exterior ;) I was blooming miles away from the stumps ! I'd wanted a close up purely of the stumps but figured it wouldn't be a good idea to walk on to the pitch whilst they were in play :eek:

The texture is a little heavy but hey , it's a learning curve.....I really struggled with that dam spoon , further round the saucer & all you'd see is the handle , putting it on the lhs of the saucer killed my OCD ( being right handed the spoon HAS to be on the rhs of the cup !)..& as for the flower on the plate :p

& yes , I have a plan for cupcakes for the next meet...not the sunny climes one though as I don;t think I'll get them through customs :D

:wave: Lynne, 1st shot for me, love the processing, great detail and composition, it would certainly be loud(y) I might have been tempted to clone out the metal fence post/spike and fence just above the end of the gun back to the 2nd spike from the left :)

:thinking: 2nd shot needed a different pov...................:exit::D

Thanks Phil.....:p

loud - two great images for the theme and both work very well for me, love the second image love the atmosphere the image helps to represent.

Cheers Mandy

Hi Lynne
Vertical - agree good action shot - has all the verticals - stumps, fence posts and non striker's bat. Agree with Andy re rope
Yum - I am not sure about this - I like the idea a lot and the gentile fee that you have created but some how it leaves me wanting more. Not sure what to say but I would have pushed the plate back a bit and put the spoon on the front of the cup pointing to the RH bottom corner so that there is more of a diag an compressed feel to the whole shot. I am not sure about the pinkish b/g and exposure as parts of the cakes and cup/saucer meld into the b/g.
Loud - #1 - would work better i feel if you could have been looking more from the LHS, showing the face and the business end of the gun
#2 i like a lot. Processing in that muted way gives it the period feel and the smoke really emphasise the theme. The pov makes the viewer feel part of the scene. (y)

Cheers Alan....I'm still trying to see this rope :thinking:
Agree totally with comments on YUM...maybe I'll use it for my reshoot ?
You think I'm getting closer to the business end of that gun :D....was as close as I could get due to ropes & other people in the way :(
& another vote for 2nd Loud.....cheers :)

cakes do look yummy, the texture works (sort of), looks like a slightly patterned tablecloth at first look, but then it starts to look vertical, rather than fading away with the surface of the table...., not sure how to overcome this, blur layer, graduated via a layer mask maybe. Or distort the texture layer to give a sense of perspective beforehand? :thinking:

first of the war event shots is absolutley spot on processing wise, a touch more space in front of the gun if I were to be picky. :clap:

Thanks Graham.......still no real idea what the hell you're talking about re the pp on YUM but I strongly suspect I'll give it another try (y)

Hi Lynne ....a great choice for loud .... both have their merits so it's difficult to choose a favourite, I like the processing in one, but I like the sense of action in two o_O

Thanks Susie :)

Hi Lynne,
Yum, lovely colour and everything matches cup and cupcake case, icing a little lost as has been mentioned
Loud, first of all not a fan of dress up days, though thats irrelevant to the photos, not sure which of the two I prefer the PP on the first really does give it an old feel
the second one with the explosion works well too, but overall the first one I think :thinking:

Thanks Allan.....reshoot for yum for sure
I'm quite getting to enjoy these re-enactment day's partic the war ones, the atmosphere is great & it serves as a reminder of what we lost in order to gain , if that makes sense ? Not for everyone though .Glad you kinda like the shots I got though ;)

Hi Lynne

Yum - great looking afternoon Tea and cake composition is spot on Im just not sure on the back round the main subjects blend in a bit too much for me.

Loud - Now I'm a fan of the first one a really old looking picture that fits the war theme l

Thanks Craig....YUM reshoot shall be done (y)

Back