Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

The only slight issues I' be had are slightly slower start-up and slightly higher battery use.

I use ML on both my 60D and 5D3. No problem on either, I think I'm a few weeks behind on the nightly releases on the 5D3.

I got a bit confused with some of their downloads - they have the Stable release which is version 2.3 but that doesnt have the 5D3 listed, but the nightly downloads refers to a 5d3.123 version for download. I guess this is the beta version, so its highly likely to still not be functioning correctly - is this understanding right

thanks

The beta version is generally very stable. I've not had an issue in months, and I've never had an issue that wasn't solved by removing the reinserting the battery. ML is not installed on your camera, it's loaded from the card on startup (thus the slower startup).

The beta version is generally very stable. I've not had an issue in months, and I've never had an issue that wasn't solved by removing the reinserting the battery. ML is not installed on your camera, it's loaded from the card on startup (thus the slower startup).
Does that mean that when I format my card after a shoot then ML has to be reloaded? Or does it by some magic stay on the card?

I got a bit confused with some of their downloads - they have the Stable release which is version 2.3 but that doesnt have the 5D3 listed, but the nightly downloads refers to a 5d3.123 version for download. I guess this is the beta version, so its highly likely to still not be functioning correctly - is this understanding right

thanks

Just to clarify,I would not class the nightly builds as beta, they are far from it. A lot of the code has not been tested at all. As convexferret says though ' I've never had an issue that wasn't solved by removing the reinserting the battery'

Does that mean that when I format my card after a shoot then ML has to be reloaded? Or does it by some magic stay on the card?
It does by some magic stay on the card :) You do get option to delete ML from the format screen if you want.

Not quite magic but yes, it stays put.
ML copies itself to the cameras internal memory when you format the card, and then loads itself back to the card automatically. At least it did with my 60D a couple of years ago.
I'm still waiting to try ML on my 5D. I might get around to it soon.

That's good. I keep seeing reference to ML but have been wary of this.

Next.....how would it benefit a landscape/wildlife/still life type operation or is it primarily of benefit to video users?

When using Aperture priority, i have the top dial for controling aperture and back scroll wheel the iso, but cannot find out how to put in some exposure compensation.

When using Aperture priority, i have the top dial for controling aperture and back scroll wheel the iso, but cannot find out how to put in some exposure compensation.
How about having the back wheel adjusting ISO only when you hold the SET button in. This way you can then use the back wheel on its own to adjust EC.
This is how i have mine set up.

How about having the back wheel adjusting ISO only when you hold the SET button in. This way you can then use the back wheel on its own to adjust EC.
This is how i have mine set up.
How do i set this up, sounds good.

On my 1D mkiv, i have it set the same as the 5D and i can still move the ec

How do i set this up, sounds good.

One way is to go in to the Q menu/custom controls (its on the right hand side, halfway down) and scroll to the SET button. You will then see an option to set ISO with a small arrow to the right of it. Once you set this holding down the SET button will allow you to use the top wheel (sorry, i got it wrong gn my last post) to change the ISO. One advantage of this is that you can see how exposure is effected in real time in the VF.
The only downside is you cant get back to Auto ISO using this set up.

That's good. I keep seeing reference to ML but have been wary of this.

Next.....how would it benefit a landscape/wildlife/still life type operation or is it primarily of benefit to video users?

It'd be worth it for the RAW histogram and the dual ISO mode alone.

Thanks Dave, now got it all set

Nice one. The 5D is very configurable, you just have to experiment with the settings until you get the camera working as YOU want it.

Still waiting for a FW update to give us the same new features as the 1DX :-(

Clever feature or a little bug?
When reviewing some pictures mid-shoot last week I got into a bit of a knot. Try this (assumes you've got a few images already on the card):
1) press the magnify button
2) spin the wheel anticlockwise (to zoom out), and keep going till you see 4 (or 9) images displayed in a grid
3) cancel this by touching the shutter button
4) now press the playback button and attempt to view this histogram for an image using the INFO button... I don't believe you can!
5) to get out of this little knot you need to press the magnify button then spin the wheel until you are zoomed out to show the whole of one image... now when you press the playback button you can see the histogram in the normal way
Hardly important, but a curious little bug in the user interface - or a very clever feature that I don't understand :)
It is the same for me here but I never zoom out to 4 or 9 images so i wouldn't have find it if you hadn't posted.

It is the same for me here but I never zoom out to 4 or 9 images so i wouldn't have find it if you hadn't posted.

Thanks for confirming it's not just me! I hadn't meant to zoom out to 4 / 9 images, just fumbled into it (only just got my 5D 3, and this feature is different from 5D 2, 7D)... and I assumed that by touching the shutter button I could escape from this :)

Clever feature or a little bug?
When reviewing some pictures mid-shoot last week I got into a bit of a knot. Try this (assumes you've got a few images already on the card):
1) press the magnify button
2) spin the wheel anticlockwise (to zoom out), and keep going till you see 4 (or 9) images displayed in a grid
3) cancel this by touching the shutter button
4) now press the playback button and attempt to view this histogram for an image using the INFO button... I don't believe you can!
5) to get out of this little knot you need to press the magnify button then spin the wheel until you are zoomed out to show the whole of one image... now when you press the playback button you can see the histogram in the normal way
Hardly important, but a curious little bug in the user interface - or a very clever feature that I don't understand :)
I had come across this - strange isn't it??
Another way out of the little know.... is when you have 9 images displaying, press the SET button and then the playback button (or the magnify button!) - you get back to the histogram view.

Last edited:
I had come across this - strange isn't it??
Another way out of the little know.... is when you have 9 images displaying, press the SET button and then the playback button (or the magnify button!) - you get back to the histogram view.
The other annoying thing is along the same idea - you can't view the histogram going from anything other than a full screen image.

I wish canon would keep the damn buttons in the same place instead of changing them about. It's a pain with two bodies.

I also wish there was a facility to jump from one ISO setting to another at the press of a button. Like being able to program the DOF button to go from say 400 to 1000 and back each time it was pressed.

I wouldn't exactly attribute looking like a pro camera by adding a grip as a plus. Those who know will know a mile off and those who don't aren't going to be worth trying to impress anyway.

Personally I disliked the grip on 5D3, I liked the grip on all other EOS bodies I've used and owned though but the 5D3 just feels better balanced in my hands without a grip. I do only use 1.4 prime lenses for 90% of all my shooting though.

Anyway, to update on this thread. The best lens I have ever owned and used has to be the Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG. Funnily enough my Sigma 85mm 1.4 EX is pretty much just as sharp as the 35 but has more visible purple fringing (though this is completely removed with +2 on the lens calibration slider for purple in LR.

Both lenses are IMO top end for optics and performance and I wouldn't change them for any other lens even if they were offered to me for free (well, I'd sell them and buy the Sigma lens again and pocket the change :p).

My body has a few scuffs and scratches now, it's been around the world with me from mines and caves to extreme heights and -32 degree arctic circle weather conditions. It's never skipped a beat and is fast approaching 50,000 actuations.

I think it's a bit of a beast and certainly lives up to being the 1DX's little brother.

peakstrap_2.jpg

Rock on!
I nearly bought the 1dx over the 5dmk3 but a few reviews favoured the 5d for what I do. No idea if it was firmware issues but the image quality seemed nicer with the 5dmk3, so that's where I went.

I wish canon would keep the damn buttons in the same place instead of changing them about. It's a pain with two bodies.

Agree totally - the differences in the playback/zoom method between my 7D and 5D3 bodies drive me nuts!

Go to playback menu 2 scroll to bottom where it says image jump and set it to 1

Hey all mk III'ers :)

Not sure if I need confirmation, reassurance, any gotchas that might catch me out or a hearty slap on the back roll out the red carpet but I'm looking to move from a 7D to the 5D mk III. Always wanted to go FF but fingers crossed I come into some money in about a months time and on the information gathering process i.e. reading 16 billion threads on the matter :confused:

Current kit is 7D (3-4 years old), 17-55 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 IS mk II, various flash and other kit. I'll be definitely selling the 7D & 17-55 to partly fund the swop and was looking to replace with the Tamron 24-70 VC. Apart from the usual reduction in reach, EF-S to EF is it a go for it ASAP, hmm I wouldn't etc, thoughts?

Anyone else made the change and never looked back or thought if I had to do it again I might of done x,y & z?
I've already mulled over the size and it doesn't both me so much, I'm used to the 7D. I've looked at the Sony A7 but didn't gone with it and it's also a compromise of kit between Canon/Sony.
My shooting is a mix of everything really, I've done motorsports with the motogp guys, portrait, landscape, holiday snaps etc :)

Is there any way move the focus point in live view other than with small joystick button?

Drives me nuts!! :mad:

Canon saying they about to release new bodies with new sensor. And apparently given the track record from Canon upgrading 5ds. Every 3 years they do so

I will start saving up. Good thing they don't upgrade there lenses every 3 years. My lens collection is almost complete

Back