Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

The 5D4 is likely to follow next year

Canon saying they about to release new bodies with new sensor. And apparently given the track record from Canon upgrading 5ds. Every 3 years they do so

I will start saving up. Good thing they don't upgrade there lenses every 3 years. My lens collection is almost complete

Who from Canon said that they are about to release new bodies with a new sensor?

And what does soon mean I wonder. All the talk has been about the 7DII. Nikon have released the D4s and ready to release the D810.

I still think it will be late in 2015 before see anything about an upgraded 1Dx or 5D3.

I am hoping for a 7DII soon though.

Last edited:
Not for a 5D4.

Who from Canon said that they are about to release new bodies with a new sensor?

And what does soon mean I wonder. All the talk has been about the 7DII. Nikon have released the D4s and ready to release the D810.

I still think it will be late in 2015 before see anything about an upgraded 1Dx or 5D3.

I am hoping for a 7DII soon though.
I think this info has emanated from the usual Northlight and Canon Rumors info and speculating.

Yes, it's all just speculation at the moment. I'd be very surprised if the 5D3 gets replaced next year, it's one of their biggest sellers apparently, it's got a lot of life in it still.

Of course, that's just my rumour lol.
The 5d2 also was a big seller

Can anyone recommend memory cards which are perfect for the 5D 3, as i have too many different cards i feel i have hit a bottleneck with transfer speeds and whatnot.

Currently looking at 64GB SD (backup card)

and either 8GB Cards (to the max of 64GB) or 16gb (max of 64GB) - CF

Mainly used for portraits/weddings trying to get a system in place.

I use Sandisk 16GB 160MB/S CF cards. Probably gets the most out of the 5D3 in terms of writing images to the card with only the CF card being written to. SD being written to at the same time slows down the write speed significantly.

Talking of which, I've just seen this video. I never realised the 5DMKII was used at such a high level on TV.

The season 6 finale of House was shot entirely with a 5D Mark II and that was four years ago. I think it was done as a experiment to see exactly what the camera was capable of.

Right - I've taken the plunge and brought another 5d iii. The one which was stolen was loved, and I just missed it.

However now I am getting into long exposure photography, would anyone recomend the grip? More for the second battery - but also I'm a 17 stone lump, so the weight itsn't an issue. I remember with my 1dx which I sold I liked the larger size, and I had a grip for my 7d a long time ago - again I liked it.

So is it worth spending the dollar on the real deal? Can get one for around £180 which isn't life changing, but is the price of a reasonable camera.

Oh and I've now got a x100s to be smaller and lighter - not sure what I'm thinking about at the moment.

I had the Pixel Vertex grip for a week or so and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Cost £63 from Amazon.

Actually I hated it and sent it back BUT that's because I just couldn't get on with a grip, but it worked perfectly and I did compare it to a mates Canon grip and both of us couldn't really see where the extra cost comes from.

Yeah a 5d3 with some decent glass on it is a seriously heavy beast, for the life of me I could never see the point of adding more weight I.e a battery grip. But it's horses for courses I suppose.

I had the Pixel Vertex grip for a week or so and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Cost £63 from Amazon.

Actually I hated it and sent it back BUT that's because I just couldn't get on with a grip, but it worked perfectly and I did compare it to a mates Canon grip and both of us couldn't really see where the extra cost comes from.

You have sort of answered my question then. Thanks.

Just gotta check if they are both/either weather sealed. I've sort of worked all my equipment so it's got some weather sealing.

People say 1-series bodies are the only thing to trust. But I think thats rubbish. I'd trust a 5diii in a gale and have done. Just don't want to let it down with a cheaper grip.

Yeah a 5d3 with some decent glass on it is a seriously heavy beast, for the life of me I could never see the point of adding more weight I.e a battery grip. But it's horses for courses I suppose.

Try a 1dx and a 70-200 2.8 is ii. And then add a flash and filters etc...

I'm quite fat/stocky and am used to lifting heavy stuff so it's okay to me. However I actually severed a tendon in my left hand on my thumb. This has left me with tendinitus in it after the surgeon reattached it. It's also left me with only partial use of the thumb. So basically if I have to put too much pressure on it with a camera then I end up screaming in pain, the tendon popping and my rolling on the floor in tears.

I personally find grips useful because I can use more fingers and parts of hands because of this. However everyone is different, and most of you are not special needs cases like myself.

I would have a grip on my cameras every time. To me they are better balanced with lenses on and the extra battery is a bonus. And i would buy the OE grip as well. Fair enough if you're just using it now and again then a 3rd party would seem a more sensible buy. Mine is on permanently and I really cant see the point on dropping £2300 on a body and scrimping on the grip.

I'm sure others will disagree :)

I would have a grip on my cameras every time. To me they are better balanced with lenses on and the extra battery is a bonus. And i would buy the OE grip as well. Fair enough if you're just using it now and again then a 3rd party would seem a more sensible buy. Mine is on permanently and I really cant see the point on dropping £2300 on a body and scrimping on the grip.

I dropped £2300 on my 5d3 with grip, but I sold the grip on, and used the funds to buy the Siggy 35mm f1.4 art , for me it was a no brainer.

I dropped £2300 on my 5d3 with grip, but I sold the grip on, and used the funds to buy the Siggy 35mm f1.4 art , for me it was a no brainer.

Here is a photo of my thumb now it is healed. For me it's not about not dropping something, it's about not being in agonising pain!

14403925647_a4bbfba50d_b.jpg
[/url]

If I catch it on a door I scream out. If it's too cold/hot on a day it hurts. Having a grip helps me. However I just want to get the best piece of kit possible! My thumb will never be fully healed. My only hope is to have the tendon fully immobilised or something - that will mean I lose all use of it.

As I've already said - I'm a special needs dribbly case :).

But who's to say it's scrimping? Just because the Canon one costs a lot more doesn't mean it's worth a lot more, just that you have to pay a lot more.
As far as weather sealing goes I had a bad experience last year in light rain so I take the weather sealing with a pinch of salt and now cover it up in the rain.
After spending £2000 on the camera I'm not taking any chances anymore.

I'd like to use a grip but it makes the camera bigger than my bags will accommodate, so I'd also have to buy bigger bags as well. Not really ideal for me. I also hated hoe my camera wouldn't sit level when I put it down, I didn't like the idea of extra pressure bring applied to the end of the lens.

Each to his own though. It did feel good in the hands but that's about it for me.

But who's to say it's scrimping? Just because the Canon one costs a lot more doesn't mean it's worth a lot more, just that you have to pay a lot more.
As far as weather sealing goes I had a bad experience last year in light rain so I take the weather sealing with a pinch of salt and now cover it up in the rain.
After spending £2000 on the camera I'm not taking any chances anymore.

I'd like to use a grip but it makes the camera bigger than my bags will accommodate, so I'd also have to buy bigger bags as well. Not really ideal for me. I also hated hoe my camera wouldn't sit level when I put it down, I didn't like the idea of extra pressure bring applied to the end of the lens.

Each to his own though. It did feel good in the hands but that's about it for me.

Aside from the weather sealing. What difference does a drip have over a 1dx/1div etc...

If the lenses were not designed to be used in that way they wouldn't be. So the stress on the mount isn't a problem.

The bag situation is tricky - worst case scenario take the grip off and put it on when you take your camera out. It will take a few seconds.

Also as a 1dx previous owner, I can't really see there being an awful lot of weather sealing difference. I've used both in the pouring rain. Maybe I go lucky - maybe not. The truth is I'd rather use the equipment I've paid thousands for than leave it at home. If it beaks I'll either use the insurance or pay to get it repaired.

I'm not saying that the Canon grip is worth a lot more. I'm saying that for me I want something that has been designed by the camera manufacturer for the camera. That will read the batteries in it and tell me the remaining charge and which one is the lowest. That's the Canon grip as far as I'm concerned. I never paid for mine and if it hadn't been a freebe I would have happily paid the price.

I don't pay any attention to weather sealing even on the 1 series. I have covers for both my bodies and if its raining i use them. Cant be bothered with taking any chance that the weather will spoil my day.

I've never had a problem fitting any of them into my bags but in fairness i only use a bag to store it not to carry it in.

Last edited:
The canon grip is built like the camera. It's magnesium in a plastic shell. As far as I'm aware the 3rd party grips are plastic throughout and I could tell the difference straight away when i used a non oem grip. It's not that the oem one weighs more, it's the extra solidity it provides. An oem grip feels like a true extension of the camera.

Don't know what the third party grips are like because I've never used one. Have a BG-E7 on my 7D and a BG-E11 on my 5D3 and love them both. Cameras just feel odd without them now.

Aside from the weather sealing. What difference does a drip have over a 1dx/1div etc...

If the lenses were not designed to be used in that way they wouldn't be. So the stress on the mount isn't a problem.

The bag situation is tricky - worst case scenario take the grip off and put it on when you take your camera out. It will take a few seconds.

Also as a 1dx previous owner, I can't really see there being an awful lot of weather sealing difference. I've used both in the pouring rain. Maybe I go lucky - maybe not. The truth is I'd rather use the equipment I've paid thousands for than leave it at home. If it beaks I'll either use the insurance or pay to get it repaired.

My feelings are this.
If I put my camera down in a hurry I don't want the front element of my 24-70 (for example) hitting the table. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing but after doing it a few times I did start to be more carful.

It takes more than a few seconds to put the grip on. All my bags are top loading for ease and speed in getting the camera out, having to deal with putting a grip on is not going to work for me.

Canon state only the 1D series are weather proof as far as I can tell. The rest are not advertised as having this. They might fair the same under certain conditions but that's not the same thing. And too much rain or moisture can corrode the internal parts that isn't obvious until they break down.

Not sure about the leaving things at home comment. I never said I have or would, only that I always have a rain jacket with me for the camera if it does rain.

My feelings are this.
If I put my camera down in a hurry I don't want the front element of my 24-70 (for example) hitting the table. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing but after doing it a few times I did start to be more carful.

It takes more than a few seconds to put the grip on. All my bags are top loading for ease and speed in getting the camera out, having to deal with putting a grip on is not going to work for me.

Canon state only the 1D series are weather proof as far as I can tell. The rest are not advertised as having this. They might fair the same under certain conditions but that's not the same thing. And too much rain or moisture can corrode the internal parts that isn't obvious until they break down.

Not sure about the leaving things at home comment. I never said I have or would, only that I always have a rain jacket with me for the camera if it does rain.

Sorry - my comment was general.

But my point remains. With a 1d(whatever) body thing's won't sit flush. And even it if does fall over your front element won't be damaged.

Also the 5diii does have weather sealing. It's apparently "not as good as 1d bodies" but in my experience it is.

Also I use lens hoods on my l-lenses, if they get a scuff I don't care. That's life.

But I do see your point - my argument is just a personal one. I'm trying to justify things to myself :).

No problem, I understand it's all a personal thing, I. Just putting my own thoughts across and not judging others etc.

Yes, the 5D has weather sealing but not weather proofing, at least that's my understating of the difference. As I said I did have an issue with the top dial when it got wet last year, and since then I've been more carful. I dont mind using a rain cover when I need to. I don't tend to worry about the lenses getting wet (those that have sealing) but that top dial is never getting wet again.

It's funny but I tend to be more careful with my lenses than I do with the camera, and always use hoods. I'm sure they can take a lot more punishment than I give them but I'm not a pro and don't make enough to replace them if anything happens to them.

Last edited:
I'm in the club as mine arrived today :) Also bought a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC to go with it as the 17-55 f/2.8 although a fantastic lens is EF-S only.
So far loving it and happy it has the 4+1 quick focus point selection option like the 7D its replacing :)

So far loving it and happy it has the 4+1 quick focus point selection option like the 7D its replacing :)

What is the 4 + 1 quick focus point option please?

Also, I thought I would share a handy tip... I usually shoot in manual with auto ISO, but for a while I've wanted to over or under expose sometimes, and haven't found a way of doing this (this is the short explanation!) Anyway, thanks to the wonderful customisation options, I've now set the SET button to change the ISO, so without taking my eye from the viewfinder I can change the ISO and still see how it meters. It's quicker than checking the metering and then adjusting using the ISO button, but ideally I would like a way to automatically set the ISO one or two stops above or below what the camera thinks is ideal. I think maybe Magic Lantern software would let me do that.

You cannot over or under expose on a 5D3, yet. You can on a 1Dx and it's rumoured to be on the way in a firmware update. Believe that if you will!

Edit...I mean in manual mode.

Last edited:
Back