weekly d00d's 52 in 2014 ... Week 51 : Extravagant

Hi, Communicate, she really pops with the SC and looks truly fed up. Although the SC has been handled well, I'd prefer the isolation through a much shallow DOF.

Cheers.

Hiya David, like your first sparkle but as mentioned by Graham, I thought it may have been better without the bottle, its a little too tight on the rim at the top for me too, as said, nice touch with the little star burst (y)

Your re-shoot for skill is a big improvement of the first, good composition,dof, like the pov (y).......it just bugged mi a bit have the pen top clipped
dunno.gif
:)

Great idea for fall, captured the movement well (y)

Communicate works well, expression on her face is thought provoking, a little annoyed maybe? confused? well caught (y)

Hi David, Communicate works - it is unashamedly SC, but for genuine story reasons, rather than being for the sake of it. You have her captured well (eye contact wouldn't have worked IMO for this shot) and I think the image hangs together well.

Minor crit - getting the whole of the guy frame left would be a bonus and not cropping her hand would be ideal, but they're relatively minor and the story is strong. Not crit but observation - that's a very noisy shot by the look of it... what were the settings out of interest?

Communicate Re-edit, not sure if it's an improvement but thought I'd post it anyway, shows the whole of the guy on the left, shows she's carrying a bunch of flowers which adds to the story! I like her style but thought her complexion and clothe colour needed a boost and found a tool which subtly boosts colour in the centre of the pic without emphasising the blue jumper on the left and the red face on the right.

Re camera settings: this is random street photography .. point-and-shoot, but here's some data: ISO-400 ... f/5.6 ... 1/250 sec ... 135mm lens

DSC_0012.jpg

first submission bumped up
Communicate.jpg

Thanks Andy, Phil & Paul for your feedback.

Last edited:
Haven't yet found an ongoing thread or sub-form here dealing with street photography. :thinking:

A bit of a catch up from me.....

Half - #1 Is this half full or half empty. Either way it fits the theme and you've had fun drinking it LOL. #2 is along the same idea as mine - I admit to not having seen yours before taking mine (honest). I feel this works much better than #1. The gritty looking clock face suits the lighting.

Architectural - Well seen image. It almost looks like two photos joined together until you realise the LHS is a reflection. Works well.

Promise - He looks an interesting character. Can't help but think there's a story behind him. Good for you for not immediately turning it B&W like the majority of "street" portraits as the lovely browns in his clothes would have been lost.

Sharp - I was going say the obvious about it being pin sharp but then realised the top of the prominent blue one is slightly off on #1 which is a shame. I prefer #2 given the background.

Pure - I can see where you were going with this and the theme. I'm afraid the statues look a little too cut out and added to a background to me although the edit does improve it.

Skill - I'm quite a sudoku fan so I like the idea on here. The inclusion of the pencil helps and the lighting has been well handled. My vote goes to the cropped edit.

Sparkle - Hits the theme. Maybe just a touch more space around the glass would have helped. Was it shot with a wide angle as it feels a little stretched? Again #2 works nicely with an intriguing shape of refracted light on the surface

Fall - You've caught this really well and with just the right amount of shutter speed.

Communicate - Not a fan of selective colour I'm afraid although I can see that you were trying to bring emphasis on the main subject texting.

Now I am not a hater of SC, but am not sure it works for you here. A simple B&W conversion, lightening the oranges and yellows to bring her face and hair out I feel work better.

Having her coloured makes it look somewhat pasted onto the B&W background, the slight OOF of the BG actually adds to this effect here too.

Shame about the chaps behind her, as her pose and intent concentration on the phone is perfect.

Last edited:
Sharp - nice colourful pins, works better with the colourful background rather than on just a plain white background.

Pure - two nice choices, I like the rose best.

Sparkle - good take on the theme and very fitting for the theme, I like your second image.

Fall - nice take on the theme, composition is good and nice motion blur capture.

Communicate - a nice bit of street photography, good capture for the theme as well.

Hi David... playing catch up so dont be disappointed if I havent commented on every pic you have here...
Like the take on theme with the map & tacks...
Prefer Pure 2 as the lighting is spot on for the image...
Skill... think if you had got down more and moved in more to the puzzle it may have worked better... too much clutter from the rest of the newspaper... (pointed out with a tighter crop)
Sparkle... good take and just enough light coming off the glass to hit the theme...
Fall... good take and just enough movement on the book to bring your attention to it...
Communicate... clever image although I think had the whole image been in colour or B&W with the two guys blurred more using DOF it may have worked better...

Just my opinion...

Hi d00d :)....just trying to catch up on some comments .... time consuming isn't it. I really like your communicate shot and for me the selective colour works really well...it's very much 'of the moment' you can't walk down any high street without someone being on their phone or texting. I really like the one where you can see the flowers ...it adds a bit more intrigue to it...shame about those guys in the background, I would be tempted to crop them out as much as poss. Did you see the recent Banksy image of the couple with their mobile phones ...I thought it was excellent.

Hi David

catch up time for me.....

Darkk....yum yum ...possibly the best dark chocolate around :kiss: No crit on the layout , I found it hard to arrange sections of chocolate when I used it for the theme last year so gave up & left in the wrapper ! The lighting i'm not sure about....very harsh to the left fading to dark on the right works for the theme , the word is super sharp with great focus & the color about right ( from what I remember of Lindt ) , DOF just a little more maybe to get the front most edge of the section in focus ? Hope you enjoyed eating it after ...edible props are the way forward :)

Fall....super idea well executed , just the right amount of motion :clap:

Sparkle....think I prefer your 1st shot, more producty type image.....love the little star on the glass rim :clap: Maybe some bubbles in the bottle , a touch more light on the bottle itself & the glass a bit more forward would have raised it notch...... but I really like it irrespective (y)

Communicate......The sc version for me....it works well in this image to keep your attention on the woman & see her concentration on the phone :clap: ....great shot for street photography which is something I really struggle with

Hi think you have done a good job on the chocolate, sits nicely in the frame and the border works too, main piece of choc really well lit

Thanks all for all your catchups, comments, input, I appreciate it.

And no I didn't eat the props ... That 70% stuff is wasted on me ... I wish I could offer you all some. :)

Super shot which really hits the theme. Super sharp as well. I wouldn't normally like the borders but this almost gives it a feel of being from the movies. nice one.

Thanks Peter ... I wouldn't normally use "cinemascope" either but yes I thought it worked well here.

Is that the official d00d translation for vorsprung durch technik then?

Great shot, with spot on lighting effect (y)

Hi David

Bit of catch up for me so comments on just a few:

Communicate - selective colour image works best for me. Great shot and bang on theme
Dark - great lighting and DoF - no crit from me.
Big - a great shot which has a real unearthly quality about it almost unsettling. Well done.

Hi, very nice shot of the car for big, my only crit is maybe a tad more brightness, only a little bit though and a slight crop from the bottom otherwise a very nice shot (y)

I've always liked the Audi grill. Looks really mean :)

I like the muted lighting, looks like it's really coming to get me :nailbiting:

Crit, minor from me, I'd like the lighting removed from across the top to emphasise the illusion it's coming out of the screen.

Cheers.

Jesus CHRIST !!!

Sorry David, I seem to have missed loads of yours :(

Pure Statues - Nice idea, wasn't so sure at first but your edit certainly helps, nice idea well lit

Pure flower - I really like the water droplets, the petals also look super soft/paper thin again the lighting is not too bright

Skill - Liking your thoughts with this one, the crop works very well indeed, like seeing the working out too, nice and natural looking :)

Sparkle - I'm preferring the first shot, maybe a bit tight at the top but passable, great starburst on the rim !!!

Skill - Good use of DoF, the colour of the pen helps it stand out nicely too, slightly clipped to the left, but good focus :)

Fall - Now I like this one a lot, I wish I had thought of it, very effective indeed :clap:

Communicate - I wasn't so sure on the selective colour, but having then seen the original I think you chose the right path, captured a great expression

Dark - Oooooo again I love this one, super lighting, l like the low angle and the sheerness of the surfaces, supe image :clap:

Big - Nice again, liking the lighting, not so certain on the amount of vignette, but as a whole it looks very crisp, and the inclusion of the front apron adds a nice touch :)

Thanks so much for all your commenting and catchups. (y)

The picture of the pimped up Audi goes down well :clap:

It looked like it was newly resprayed in a non-reflective grey, parked in the street with no front number plate! Was going to call it "does my willy look big in this" but thought better of it.

Super image. One of my favourites of the whole year. I think it's the simplism of the image together with such a smooth mono conversion that makes it so strong. Simply sublime. An inspired image title as well.

I'm going to the local Audi garage for a photo shoot next Monday - apparently our camera club has free reign for the evening. I can only hope to get something close to the quality of yours.

wow thank you Peter (y) ... it's not a mono conversion, you know. The car is that colour, but in the name of simplism I removed a little red RS5 badge from the grill.

Hi, well it certainly says cut, well lit no bad reflections in the blades of the scissors, and nicely placed in the frame (y)
nice simple take on the theme

wow thank you Peter (y) ... it's not a mono conversion, you know. The car is that colour, but in the name of simplism I removed a little red RS5 badge from the grill.
I wouldn't have guessed that. It doesn't take anything away from it being a superb image

Cut - This one made me smile given the picture you've chosen and where you've chosen to cut LOL

Good composition and well-lit. Rather macabre connotations given the events of the past few days - deliberate or coincidental?

Purely coincidental. Crikey I do hope no one finds it offensive.
No, not at all offensive, more reflective if it had been deliberate.

Back