weekly Delta Skies 2012 52 Week Challenge - Week 52 "Busy" added

omg more food!! Don't you realise they don't do mushy peas in the south - this is so not fair :LOL: just plain mean I love mushy peas. I'll be in Wakefield tomorrow and I will be having pie and mushy peas at the hotel yum

but yeah lovely image. Stick it in Getty lol :)

Really nicely exposed pic it would have to be pie and mash for the southern people i suppose, I thought all people from Wigan are called pie eaters.

I like that Peter, good colours and focus, like the comp too :)

We get mushy peas in the East ya know :D

Nice lighting there Peter, food is certainly tricky and you have done well.
Hi Summer, Allan, Dean and Michael. Thanks for the comments.

I have to say I tried this with gravy as well but no matter what I did it kept looking oof so settled just for the pie and peas.

Wish I'd known you were up here Summer. We live between Leeds and Wakefield and could have met up. Hope you enjoyed the Northern cuisine during your visit. (y)

ohh I'll be back there a few more times Peter - will give you advance warning next time. I usually stay in the premier inn at J39 on the M1 for a quick getaway lol, plus I can walk to work from there. I got lost in the city centre yesterday at rush hour :LOL:

Ok, I like the shot but don't like the content peas are 'geeeyuk' as my two year old would say :puke: Nice lighting, composition and lovely and sharp throughout and fits the theme (y) I'm off to look at your chocolatey crumpets again though, much more pleasing to my taste buds :)

Together - good shot, on theme. Good colours and well handled lighting. Looks a good pie and shot captures the essence of creating a desire for the food. Don't know what Marsha is on about :thinking::D

Were those the days of West, Gregory, Bell , Hanley , Offiah, Wane, McGinty, Hampson, Robinson, Farrell, Botica, Panapa, Betts, Case, Platt . Tuigamala, Cowie, Edwards, Lucas, McDermott, Gill, Goodway, Cassidy, Clark, Lydon et al?

ohh I'll be back there a few more times Peter - will give you advance warning next time. I usually stay in the premier inn at J39 on the M1 for a quick getaway lol, plus I can walk to work from there. I got lost in the city centre yesterday at rush hour :LOL:
Yeah it would be good to meet up.

Ok, I like the shot but don't like the content peas are 'geeeyuk' as my two year old would say :puke: Nice lighting, composition and lovely and sharp throughout and fits the theme (y) I'm off to look at your chocolatey crumpets again though, much more pleasing to my taste buds :)
I must admit to not being a mushy pea fan but the pies are good.

Nice shot for the theme and well-handled. Trip down memory lane for me!
Thanks Bob

Together - good shot, on theme. Good colours and well handled lighting. Looks a good pie and shot captures the essence of creating a desire for the food. Don't know what Marsha is on about :thinking::D
Thanks for the comments Alan.

Were those the days of West, Gregory, Bell , Hanley , Offiah, Wane, McGinty, Hampson, Robinson, Farrell, Botica, Panapa, Betts, Case, Platt . Tuigamala, Cowie, Edwards, Lucas, McDermott, Gill, Goodway, Cassidy, Clark, Lydon et al?
Now that was a team - definitely my era.

Can I add the Iro brothers and Skerrett please.

For a while we used to give a lift from Blackpool to one of their official photographers so got behind the scenes a couple of times. Our eldest son (then aged just months) even had his photo taken in the trophy room with Joe Lydon and the Challenge Cup. Great times.

Great times indeed. Many a jig on the pitch when the Cup was brought back. Walking outside the red brick entrance with the odour of linament seeping out to the car park.

And I forgot that most imperious of centres, Gene Miles. A winger's dream to have him inside you.

I can't believe that Peter forgot to mention that we spent our first night of marriage at Wigan and we had to have our photo taken outside those famous doors!!:):)

Excellent :):) I had my birthday greetings put up on that wonderful first generation electronic (?) scoreboard

Err but now you live betwen Leeds and Wakefield :eek:

I know we are a bit outnumbered here and I get a lot of stick at work but then again I also support Blackpool seasiders which goes down well with the Leeds fans here!!

Pie and peas...gimme..gimme...:D

Nice and sharp, with lovely texture to the pie and peas. The detail really is good, especially on top of the pie.

Bit of steam would have been the icing on the cake, or the mint sauce on the pie....

Cheers.

Technically a very good image Peter but I feel artistically it needs a little something else :thinking:
Maybe some context, presenting the pie and peas on a plate or a takeaway container would assist. I don't mean to sound harsh but I just find the background a little clinical, sorry :(

Hi Peter,
Sorry double post, I am experiencing technical difficulties ;)

Last edited:
hi Peter, All this food is making me hungry! I know how tricky it was to take this shot with the shadows and the gravy that wouldn't perform! The lighting and composition is spot on!

Lets hope its not a food theme next week!:)

Just for the record, mushy peas in the South but with fish and chips. Great shot Peter. The background looks slightly uneven.

Pie and peas...gimme..gimme...:D

Nice and sharp, with lovely texture to the pie and peas. The detail really is good, especially on top of the pie.

Bit of steam would have been the icing on the cake, or the mint sauce on the pie....

Cheers.
Cheers Andy. I agree about the steam. The idea was to use the hot gravy to add the steam but the gravy just didn't work for me.

Technically a very good image Peter but I feel artistically it needs a little something else :thinking:
Maybe some context, presenting the pie and peas on a plate or a takeaway container would assist. I don't mean to sound harsh but I just find the background a little clinical, sorry :(
I know what you mean Iain. The pie and peas were originally on a smaller plate but I was getting some awful reflections so resorted to a bigger one although I might as well have been on a flat white surface.

hi Peter, All this food is making me hungry! I know how tricky it was to take this shot with the shadows and the gravy that wouldn't perform! The lighting and composition is spot on!

Lets hope its not a food theme next week!:)
Thanks Sarah. You never know. a food hat-trick could be a challenge too far.

Just for the record, mushy peas in the South but with fish and chips. Great shot Peter. The background looks slightly uneven.
Thanks John

Up - lovely image, well done on translating from your imagination to an actual shot. And well done Sarah for being the crazy balloon woman!

Duo - great idea, would like to see a bit more of Robin but a good shot anyway.

Flow - lovely sense of movement and bang on theme.

Friendship - ace :) they look great and nice to see them so clean :LOL: their eyes are so bright and focused. Definitely friendship

Change - Nice interpretation and a bit different. I was a bit lost at first but I have learnt something!!

Natural - the detail has really come through on this one. Like that its close up.

Age - definitely says age, really good shot and nice angle and I like the steam billowing out with the sky detailed behind.

Spread - chocolate spread on crumpets??? Sooo wrong. Good shot though :)

Together - nicely composed and taken. Works well for the theme and it did inspire my take on the theme, well its food related!

Pack - Good take on the theme. Made something which could be quite boring into an interesting shot.

Up - lovely image, well done on translating from your imagination to an actual shot. And well done Sarah for being the crazy balloon woman!

Duo - great idea, would like to see a bit more of Robin but a good shot anyway.

Flow - lovely sense of movement and bang on theme.

Friendship - ace :) they look great and nice to see them so clean :LOL: their eyes are so bright and focused. Definitely friendship

Change - Nice interpretation and a bit different. I was a bit lost at first but I have learnt something!!

Natural - the detail has really come through on this one. Like that its close up.

Age - definitely says age, really good shot and nice angle and I like the steam billowing out with the sky detailed behind.

Spread - chocolate spread on crumpets??? Sooo wrong. Good shot though :)

Together - nicely composed and taken. Works well for the theme and it did inspire my take on the theme, well its food related!

Pack - Good take on the theme. Made something which could be quite boring into an interesting shot.
Thanks for all the feedback Alex.

Hi Peter

Pack - good shot for theme. Like the comp, the angle, the colours and the detail in the labelling and the water droplets.

Did you create the drops by water spraying or is that out of the fridge into a warm room?
Thanks Alan. I originally took and edited the shot without the water droplets and felt it was missing something. I didn't have a water sprayer and thought I'd have to keep it as it was until I realised that the iron had one so used that.

Alan says it all, great shot.
Cheers John

like the angle it makes it more interesting
Thanks Allan

Good thinking because the water really adds to the image
Thanks Alan. With an earlier shot I even tried party poppers over the cans to add to the image but I felt it didn't work very well. Even considered having empty cans and making some pretend sick but felt that was probably taking it too far :LOL:

Hi Peter, I like the angle it definitely adds interest(y) the water droplets do help give it that chilled straight from the fridge feel. Shame it's not a warm summers day to enjoy a nice cold beer

Delta Skies said:
Even considered having empty cans and making some pretend sick but felt that was probably taking it too far :LOL:

:eek: :puke:

you know how an iron works???????? shocked!!

only kidding

love it tho, Alan said it all for me - crop, angle, water, all add to the image :clap:

Hi, Peter, Bud....(y)

A nice clean and clinical photograph with good exposure and the water drops add a really nice touch. The angle works well to add a bit of tension.

An alternative I'd like to see is one with some more symmetry, maybe photographing from the end along the cans. Just a thought.

Hope they were refreshing :D

Cheers.

Hi Peter

no no no no & again no.....mushy peas :puke: That said I think the shot is good but as per Iain , maybe needs something else....gravy or mint sauce I think are whats usually added ?

PAck...good thinking with the water droplets , adds to the shot...jaunty angle , very sharp....(y) not so sure on the BG ? could you have done the shot in the fridge ? Just a thought

you know how an iron works???????? shocked!!

only kidding

love it tho, Alan said it all for me - crop, angle, water, all add to the image :clap:
Ironing? - I am a modern man you know.

Thanks for the comments

Hi, Peter, Bud....(y)

A nice clean and clinical photograph with good exposure and the water drops add a really nice touch. The angle works well to add a bit of tension.

An alternative I'd like to see is one with some more symmetry, maybe photographing from the end along the cans. Just a thought.

Hope they were refreshing :D

Cheers.
Thanks for the feedback Andy. I must say I tried all sorts of angles and fell for the shown is I felt it was less humdrum than the earlier shots that night. I like the idea of taking them straight along the edge though.

A good pic Peter, for me I am not keen on the bg in show on this one.

Hi Peter

no no no no & again no.....mushy peas :puke: That said I think the shot is good but as per Iain , maybe needs something else....gravy or mint sauce I think are whats usually added ?

PAck...good thinking with the water droplets , adds to the shot...jaunty angle , very sharp....(y) not so sure on the BG ? could you have done the shot in the fridge ? Just a thought
Hi Michael and Lynne. Thanks for the comments about the background. I have to agree with you I just struggled to not include it using the angle I chose. I do like Lynne's idea of the fridge although ours isn't big enough for me to take the shot in it :LOL:

This idea for Art wasn't what I started out with but after a trip to buy some artist's materials I ended up with the below image - and almost some paint all over the lounge carpet !

Art by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Last edited:
excellent idea :clap: I'm guessing you tried to get the paint oozing out of the cap but it wouldn't play? It does look a bit watery for that. The nearest tube (cap) is a bit odd due to being so oof, I would maybe have upped the F and got more of the tubes in focus. Tis a great image though :)

Back