weekly DK's 52 in 2014 - Wk's 52 'Support' Added - AND FINISHED :)

Yum - I prefer the crop as well :)

I really do like the light painted image, I thought it was for loud as it appears a bit like a sound wave (whatever one looks like :D)

Nice contrast between the black and red on loud, I got it as the 30/30 seems to be the main focal point.

Hi DK, I prefer your original pic the second one here, though it does need an explanation, nice and bright and I like its not just a straight shot of the phone (y)

Yum - I prefer the crop as well :)
Cheers Mark :)

Certainly the major preference that one :)

I really do like the light painted image, I thought it was for loud as it appears a bit like a sound wave (whatever one looks like :D)
Ahhhhhh good thinking... but wrong as you know... Thanks :)

Nice contrast between the black and red on loud, I got it as the 30/30 seems to be the main focal point.
Cool :cool: thanks again mate :)

Hi DK, I prefer your original pic the second one here, though it does need an explanation, nice and bright and I like its not just a straight shot of the phone (y)
Thanks Allan :)

Yeah I didn't even think about the explanation until Mrs DK mentioned it, I see it day in day out so didn't give it a thought :D

Hey DK - Dreamy all are superb images but the 1st one wins for me so much going on in there great work.
Thanks Craig :)

Loud - 2nd for me the red on black really stands out but without the explanation i would have been stumped :)
Thanks again :)

I'm hoping secretly that there will be a closet windows phone user in the 52 :D

I prefer the first pic DK, the angle and positioning of the phone works better for me, my eyes immediately rest on the 30. nice reds, lighting and BG too. :)

Loud: Perfect! Love the crisp straight lines and bold contrast between black and red...The DOF is again, Perfect
Cheers Jason, very nice of you to say :)

I prefer the first pic DK, the angle and positioning of the phone works better for me, my eyes immediately rest on the 30. nice reds, lighting and BG too. :)
Thanks Adam... I'm pleased it appears that every-bodies eyes are drawn to where I wanted :)

I too prefer the top (first) pic... the shallower angle works better and as Adam say, the focus is more obviously on the 30/30. I love the DOF and great red/black contrast. Superb shot - really good "product" photo.
Thanks Paul :)

I must say I did have the camera on the tri-pod at some ridiculous angles to get the DoF and Angles :D

Loud, the red really pops. Nice shallow DOG. My phone goes to 31 :)

Cheers.
LOL ... well, my dad's goes up to a trillion :geek:

Thanks mate :D

Loud - I like both your images, like the focus on the 30/30 really works well for me, also I find the phones red theme very loud as well good work.
Thank you very much Mandy :)

Cor DK - I don't know which I prefer. Both hit the theme and extremely well exposed - lovely contrast between black and red - and the 30/30 stands out well in both. Both comps and crops good.
See, it is your Challenge so you must choose :rolleyes:
Thanks Alan :)

Errrrrmmmmmmm me choose :thinking:

Nope... I'm still torn between the two LD

Hi DK ...I didn't quite get the link straight away, but I made a good guess :) ...the red and black certainly makes your phone very photogenic, they're both great shots, so it's hard to choose a favourite
Your guess was correct then ?? - Thanks Susie for commenting :)

And now my shot for last week, still have the re-shoot to do, but undecided on that one...

So for last week I decided to get a prop, nothing special as my idea again was simple

Here are several different shots for your pleasure :D

Wk 28 - 'Rich' Tea

Not my original choice, but once edited I prefered this simple close up shot, I think the 'RICH' is the most prominent and in a natural context (unlike my third pic below, which was one of my first ideas)

What I like as well as the simpleness is the cup blending into the white backdrop, still not certain if I need a bit more off the RH side of the shot :thinking:

Wk 27 - RICH tea by TP DK, on Flickr

This shot was one of my original Idea's, trying to get all the elements in the shot fully, not screaming Rich, but the idea is there and when you know what it is I feel it's ok...

If I could shoot it again... I would put a gap between the cup and the Biscuits :(

Wk 27 - RICH tea 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

This shot was one of the thoughts that didn't work as hoped, simple, straight to the point BUT... not so keen now compared to the first image

Wk 27 - RICH tea 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

And my last one is a bit of an inbetween shot... nearly didn't post it but hey, what the hell, in for a penny and all that :D

Wk 27 - RICH tea 4 by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Now then Matey.......'pologies for being slack in the comments dept...again !!

Rich....#1 for the highkey effect , good focus & great color :clap:...though I do find the reflection of the biscuit ion the tea a tad off putting , almost like there's a skin on the tea ? Possibly a bit of a lilac color cast going on there ?

Rich #3....bold , sharp & frame filling :clap: I'd have been tempted to crop harder so the biscuit left the frame in the very corner of the shot top left & bottom right if that makes sense ?

Loud.....the 1st shot in the post ( not sure if that's your original idea sent to sub bench then bought back to be the main one or it's your reserve image :runaway: wayyyy to confuddling !) Bold bright & on theme but not in an obvious way ....product shot it is :clap:

Now then Matey.......'pologies for being slack in the comments dept...again !!
No worries Lynne :)

Rich....#1 for the highkey effect , good focus & great color :clap:...though I do find the reflection of the biscuit ion the tea a tad off putting , almost like there's a skin on the tea ? Possibly a bit of a lilac color cast going on there ?
Certainly agree about the reflection, I think it was just the angle I was at as there was no skin I don't think, but looking again I'm now not so sure :thinking:

I did think about cloning some of the worst bits out but changed my mind.. As for the colour cast, again not sure, I'll see what the consensus is, as on y monitor it looks fine, but it does need calibrating :(

Rich #3....bold , sharp & frame filling :clap: I'd have been tempted to crop harder so the biscuit left the frame in the very corner of the shot top left & bottom right if that makes sense ?
I think you are right there, I will crop it a tad later in the week, as on lappy at the mo, still trying to work out if I can edit pics over my network on this new Adobe CC thingy ma jig :)

Loud.....the 1st shot in the post ( not sure if that's your original idea sent to sub bench then bought back to be the main one or it's your reserve image :runaway: wayyyy to confuddling !) Bold bright & on theme but not in an obvious way ....product shot it is :clap:
Why thank you :)

Yes it did get a bot confusing didn't it :LOL:

Definately the first one for me, nowt to distract, limited pallete of colour, super detail.

second, needs a saucer to go with the posh cup, the purlpe clashes with the blue.

third... too close. :)

#4, second fave after the first. Nothing worng with it, just not as pleasing as the first.

Definately the first one for me, nowt to distract, limited pallete of colour, super detail.
Thanks Graham :)

second, needs a saucer to go with the posh cup, the purlpe clashes with the blue.
Ahhhhh do you think, I thought they went okay :thinking:

The mug is way too big for a saucer :D

third... too close. :)
No it isn't :p

:LOL:

#4, second fave after the first. Nothing worng with it, just not as pleasing as the first.
Nice one... Thanks much so Graham :)

Hi DK, first one for me, its all been said above and I can only agree, lovely nails you have though can't believe no ones complimented you on them yet :p

Hi DK...shot number one for me ... a definite colour clash on the others.
I Love the idea of dunkin the biscuit...how many did you drop in before you got a perfect shot :)
Thanks Susie :)

Well... We did loose several, and had to try different angles, so once dunked, had to be eaten :D

Hi DK, first one for me, its all been said above and I can only agree, lovely nails you have though can't believe no ones complimented you on them yet :p
Cheers Allan :)

Thanks for the compliments on my nails... they match my toenails too :geek:

Hiya DK,

Love you first image for dream, very surreal, the two contrasting colours of the blue and sparks works really well for me (y)

I quite like your 2nd shot for rich, seeing the whole packet and cup works well, good clean bg, slight shadows (y) just possibly the lighting on the packet through the words 'Rich Tea' could have done with sorting :)

Rich - I like the closer crop of the bottom shot, but prefer the dunking position of the hand and biscuit on the one with the packet - it just looks more elegant, even though dunking isn't a very elegant thing to do :D

Hi Dk,

Rich - first for me I like the composition, the detail an the blend of colours
Cheers Craig :)

Rich - I love the first image, fits the theme. I agree with your comment on a little more space between the cup and the biscuits.
Thanks Mandy :)

Strange isn't it how we don't spot things at the time of setting up and taking shots :thinking:

Hey Phil :)

Love you first image for dream, very surreal, the two contrasting colours of the blue and sparks works really well for me (y)
Cheers Mate :)

I quite like your 2nd shot for rich, seeing the whole packet and cup works well, good clean bg, slight shadows (y) just possibly the lighting on the packet through the words 'Rich Tea' could have done with sorting :)
Thanks :) I agree, I did try and pull back the highlights as much as I could on the packet, again I dint notice until packed away and back on my PC :bang:

Rich - I like the closer crop of the bottom shot, but prefer the dunking position of the hand and biscuit on the one with the packet - it just looks more elegant, even though dunking isn't a very elegant thing to do :D
I think I know which one you mean lol - Thanks :)

Hello... Did I hear my middle name? ;)
That you did young man :D

Right then... A bit of catching up, Quickly does it...

Wk 28 - Re-Shoot 'Line/Linear'

Nothing special or particular, I just liked the cables and pole, wanted a silhouette to make it simple and not too over fussy

Wk 28 - Re-Shoot Line/Linear by TP DK, on Flickr

Did a play around image too... just for fun, no need to comment - Thanks :)

Wk 28 - ReShoot, Line/Linear 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

And onto the next one..

For this I was pondering 'Lost Skills' or skills that are now not so plenty, I just popped a couple of mile down to a local boat yard and found this toothy boat, I love it's Pixar type smile :)

Here we go then, Wk 29 - it will take a lot of 'Skill' to get this back to it's prime !!!!

Wk 29 - Skill by TP DK, on Flickr

Hi Dean,
Loud... like the 1st image best, my eye too drawn to the 30/30 I also see the red ad loud (y)
Rich... #1 and #4 for me tho' like Lynne on 1 I see the surface of the tea has a reflection that just spoils it a little (y)
Re-shoot... line/linear....nice and simple, works for me(y)
Skill... The boat is a good one, like its toothy smile, these skills are in the main lost very few left that work on wooden boats, we do have one yard here in Beverley that repairs a few barges(y)

Last edited:
Andddd onto the next...

I Have been thinking of this one for the last week or two, something maybe a bit tenuous but it works for me... finally spotted the right field and some descent light

Wk 30 - this crop is 'Half' harvested :D

Wk 30 - Half by TP DK, on Flickr

Right... not really liking these, but they will do currently...

The Seaside, never the best or most striking buildings, these as you most probably know are typical of this type of building

The sky was appaling, I have tried to pull something from them, but way too much processing to get life for me

This WILL be my next Re-Shoot week if I don't see something else this week :)

Wk 31 - Seaside 'Architecture'

Wk 31 - Architecture by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 31 - Architecture 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Skill - I saw this on the main thread before I saw your comments and my first thought was that'll take an awful lot of skill to get it back in the water - so we're obviously thinking along the same lines! Great capture and some nice detail in the worse for wear hull. Re your Pixar comment - yes it somehow puts me in mind of Mater from Cars!

Half - I would have called it half cut, thinking it was barley (barley = beer?) but a very pleasing composition and colour contrast.

Architecture - first shot is more of a classic seaside pier with all the amusement arcades, but the second one definitely has superior architectural attributes. Two good shots.

Quite a few caught up there Dean... well done!

Wk 28 - Re-Shoot 'Line/Linear'
Technically good silhouette shot, but not enough interest for me in the sky. A sunset/sunrise would have been a lot stronger for me, here. Well taken though and no other crit. Sorry for being harsh re: the sky!

Wk 28 - Re-Shoot 'Line/Linear' #2 (play-around)
I like this, although it's a self-confessed muckaround. Good effect, on theme and different.

Wk 29 - it will take a lot of 'Skill' to get this back to it's prime
Love the detail and texture on the boat. Well exposed and good DOF choice to capture the full detail on the boat. Not sure about the background (not much you could have done, I guess) and have you painted on a bit of negative clarity? If so, I think you missed a patch... ;) Oh, and can I borrow the crowbar again now you've finished with it? :exit:

Wk 30 - this crop is 'Half' harvested
Absolutely love this. Detail, colour, focus, exposure all totally spot on. On theme nicely for me - a different take but really does fit. My favourite of these 6 shots. I think you've caught the tiniest bit of movement on the wheat, which is just perfect. :clap:

Wk 31 - Seaside 'Architecture'
Definitely pops - good technical take but can't say it hugely excites me. It might be the flat-on view...

Wk 31 - Seaside 'Architecture' #2
Corner-on definitely benefits this shot. Think you might have overdone the brushed-on/grad saturation & darkening on the sky in the corners... Nice shot and my favourite of these two. Sufficiently on theme without being "wow, that's architecture"...

Back