weekly DK's 52 in 2014 - Wk's 52 'Support' Added - AND FINISHED :)

Hi there,
vertical... Well lit crystal clear, love it, everything has been said so :clap::clap:
Thanks Judi... really pleased with how well this one is going down :)

]Strong... the composition is spot on for me,colours are good and its definitely strong (y)
Thanks again Judi :)

I do like it most of the time, when done tastefully as yours is. I prefer to use it to balance a certain area of the pic instead of coming all the way across the frame that's why I mentioned the last bit (ye the bit on the bridge) and possibly the next bit where the sky changes colour. Although this is purely personal taste and somebody will completely disagree with me! :)
No mate I totally see what your saying, it would clean the centre of the image up, I may have a go at that tomorrow evening if I catch up with comments and post my next backlog image by then - Thanks again, much appreciated (y)

Hi DK,

Strong - 1st for me, the perspective and framing just work much better, though it doesn't look quite central to me. It's certainly a strong subject.
Vertical - good idea! I like the 2nd one; it's got a much better positioning of the camera and the OOF Jesus figure is much nicer than in the first image.

Prefer the 2nd Strong image as the eye is lead into the shot with interesting links etc along the way to the back subject...
vertical... like the take on using the camera as the subject... lighting & comp is spot on as mentioned before...

Hi DK, love the perspective of the first shot and yes you get away with it o_O
colour, exposure all spot on, excellent work (y)

As I've said elsewhere it's strange to see photographs that you saw getting made :)

#2 for me, the 'in ya face' works for me. I like the wide DOF and overall detail. Very minor crit, but I'd like the very near section to be sharper. Might not have been possible, though.

Cheers.

Vertical - wow it's a nice punchy vibrant image, fits the theme composition works for me, and a nice choice of camera as well :D.

Strong - fits the theme, I prefer the first image the composition sits better with me. I don't even mind the lens flare and the sun looming in on the top right of the image.

Hi DK,

Strong - 1st for me, the perspective and framing just work much better, though it doesn't look quite central to me. It's certainly a strong subject.
Hi Simon :)... You are correct mate, I thought it was an illusion, but it is quite a bit off, I thought I had it lined up perfectly when on site, guess I should have paced it out... stuck with it now :D
Vertical - good idea! I like the 2nd one; it's got a much better positioning of the camera and the OOF Jesus figure is much nicer than in the first image.
Thanks Again :) ... I must say, Mrs DK is going to love our garden ornament being re-named Jesus, but now it's been said, it's soooooo fitting :LOL:

Prefer the 2nd Strong image as the eye is lead into the shot with interesting links etc along the way to the back subject...
Cheers Colin :)

Glad somebody liked it, it has a lot less going on for me and is much more to the point... but again I like all the other bits in shot one :D

vertical... like the take on using the camera as the subject... lighting & comp is spot on as mentioned before...
Thanks again... Luckily my son hadn't taken his 7d out with him, otherwise I would have had to try and do it with mirrors :thinking: :LOL:

Hi DK, love the perspective of the first shot and yes you get away with it o_O
colour, exposure all spot on, excellent work (y)
Cheers mate... I was hoping I would :D

As I've said elsewhere it's strange to see photographs that you saw getting made :)

#2 for me, the 'in ya face' works for me. I like the wide DOF and overall detail. Very minor crit, but I'd like the very near section to be sharper. Might not have been possible, though.

Cheers.
I have been saying that too... I like your choice and certainly know what you mean :)

I did do one at f14 which is below, but stupidly the composition on this one let me down a tad, I really must sometimes shoot wider and crop, but I have finally got out of that habit of doing that constantly and try to compose much more accurately (Level/general composition Etc) in the moment :)

Alt - Deeper DoF by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Vertical - wow it's a nice punchy vibrant image, fits the theme composition works for me, and a nice choice of camera as well :D.
Thanks Mandy :)

And of course :canon:

Strong - fits the theme, I prefer the first image the composition sits better with me. I don't even mind the lens flare and the sun looming in on the top right of the image.
Thanks again... and Good, glad you like the flare, I wanted it in the shot and had to take several to get not too much in :)

Right... onto my next catch up shot

Wild... for me I thought this was going to be easy, but finding wild during our wales trip really didn't work as I hoped, my first shot was hoping to be a wildflower in front of a waterfall, all I can say is FAIL

So moving on to my back up images... The first is of a seascape with wild stormy clouds (well thinking they look stormy) with sun rays beaming through onto a lonely boat, it isn't as dramatic as I was hoping and I didn't manage to get the sun rays as vivid as they seemed at the time, but here is my best effort of the few I captured

Wk 23 - 'Wild' sky

Wk 23 - Wild by TP DK, on Flickr

My Second image was my first attempt, again I like the idea but feel even though the flower is wild, it doesn't scream wild to me, but hey I still like the image... I was thinking i wasn't going to be able to use this one as I thought Blondie606 was going to use a similar concept as her shot but it appears she has gone for a wild Colourful shot... so here is mine :)

2 'Wild' flower...

Wk 23 - Wild 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Banging them in at the moment.. how far behind were you?? :p

First of the castle with the flare, not completely sure it needs the lens flare, but I'm not against it / them.... seems to be a bit squashed vertically to me?

Second looking up the chains is more appealing, like that you've made a photograph of part of it, rather than just taking a shot of what's in front of you, second with the deeper DOF is an improvement too.

wild sky I think you;'ve got the beams just right, any more could have started to look tacky, or photshopped... Nice touch with the boat and I love the light being cast onto the middle of the ocean. You're going to have a wet patch on your desk when all that water runs out of the right side of the shot though... :)

And again, the flower with the lighthouse in the BG, brilliant, composition spot on, and the hazy transition between the sea and sky work really well, what did you clone out to the right of the flower though??

(Sorry, I know you're pushed for time, and burning the candle both ends a bit atm, but I can;t see things and not mention them). (y)

Hi DK, well I prefer your first shot of the seascape. It looks wild up top but serene down bottom, so love it for that and the lonesome boat. I'm less of a fan of your second. I mean, it's a good focus on the wildly growing flower but I think it's just a preference thing. I'm first drawn to the background and then my eyes find the flower.

Banging them in at the moment.. how far behind were you?? :p
Quite a bit Graham quite a bit :(

First of the castle with the flare, not completely sure it needs the lens flare, but I'm not against it / them.... seems to be a bit squashed vertically to me?
Ahhhhh no mate, no squishing involved at all... I was on my knees getting as low as possible :)

And the flare... you're wrong, it did need to be there :mooning: :D

Second looking up the chains is more appealing, like that you've made a photograph of part of it, rather than just taking a shot of what's in front of you, second with the deeper DOF is an improvement too.
Cool, thanks :)

I really wasn't sure on that one if there was enough castle...

wild sky I think you;'ve got the beams just right, any more could have started to look tacky, or photshopped... Nice touch with the boat and I love the light being cast onto the middle of the ocean. You're going to have a wet patch on your desk when all that water runs out of the right side of the shot though... :)
Really !!!! I hope your kidding <Runs off to check horizon> :exit:

And again, the flower with the lighthouse in the BG, brilliant, composition spot on, and the hazy transition between the sea and sky work really well, what did you clone out to the right of the flower though??

I cloned out crappy flowers, I should have dea-headed them, thought the one with colour would stand out better with them there... on editing I think I was wrong :)

(Sorry, I know you're pushed for time, and burning the candle both ends a bit atm, but I can;t see things and not mention them). (y)
No worries at all Graham, I appreciate, I like proper crit I won't improve at taking photo's or PP if I ain't told :) (y)

<EDIT> Returns relieved... You had me worried there, dead level in lightroom :geek: :p

Hi DK, well I prefer your first shot of the seascape. It looks wild up top but serene down bottom, so love it for that and the lonesome boat. I'm less of a fan of your second. I mean, it's a good focus on the wildly growing flower but I think it's just a preference thing. I'm first drawn to the background and then my eyes find the flower.
Thanks Simon :)

Now you come to mention it, I did think of flipping the image horizontally as I thought it would read better, but thought on such a major piece of landscape people would notice... now thinking I should have had a deeper DoF so more of the image was in focus :thinking:

the wild sky is beautiful. the sun rays absolutely make it and the positioning of the boat is perfect. very nice work. The only very picky crit I can find is the highlights on the water in the middle of the frame are a tad distracting, but nevertheless a very good image. (y)

Like both of those dk, the 1st one just making top spot, the flower is a little bright on my screen. Is that strumble head light house in the bg?
Thanks Michael :)

No it is South Stack light house... unfortunately it was closed for the day due to being hired for filming purposes, so this was as close as we could get :(

the wild sky is beautiful. the sun rays absolutely make it and the positioning of the boat is perfect. very nice work. The only very picky crit I can find is the highlights on the water in the middle of the frame are a tad distracting, but nevertheless a very good image. (y)
Cheers Adam :)

Do you think it would help if I tried to tone the highlights on that section down a bit ???

Ah right seeing all your pics of wales took me back to years of family holidays there.
Only the second time I have been to Wales, the first time a couple of years ago with my family it peed down for 6 of the 7 days we were there... this time we were dead lucky, warm as toast it was :)

I remember getting soaking wet in st davids every time we went! Must go back.
Ahhh thats typical weather then LOL... I sure want to go back again too, I will probably take the wife next time and leave the children at home as there is some great walking there isn't there :)

Ahhh thats typical weather then LOL... I sure want to go back again too, I will probably take the wife next time and leave the children at home as there is some great walking there isn't there :)
Indeed there is, the place we used to stay at had its own footpath access to one of the "mountains" a glorious walk. Those were the days!

Hi Again :wideyed:
just when I think I have finished with you :p
Has to be the first one "wild sky" no idea how you came up with that title :thinking:

the boat really makes the image, has a real sense of foreboding about it :clap: I think the sun rays are really well captured too (y)

Hi DK

Texture - spot on theme . Good colour and b/g and detail in hairs and droplets. Not sure about the comp but not sure why
Vertical - good idea. #2 much better, nice set up, good detail, punchy and JC to help out. :)
Strong - #1 for me as i like the comp and the strength of both the towers and the steel. Good colour
Wild - both excellent shots and so different. Good comp on both and well handled colours. #1 for me but just personal choice of subject. really like that one(y)

Hey :)
just when I think I have finished with you :p
Don't know what you mean :D
Has to be the first one "wild sky" no idea how you came up with that title :thinking:
Well It was the only thing I could think of that looked wild in the shot :whistle:

the boat really makes the image, has a real sense of foreboding about it :clap: I think the sun rays are really well captured too (y)
Oh Cool - Thanks Allan :cool: :)

Hi Alan :)

Texture - spot on theme . Good colour and b/g and detail in hairs and droplets. Not sure about the comp but not sure why
Thanks mate... I think it's the leaves :)
Vertical - good idea. #2 much better, nice set up, good detail, punchy and JC to help out. :)
Hahaaa to JC :D thanks again :)
Strong - #1 for me as i like the comp and the strength of both the towers and the steel. Good colour
Cheers :)

I think the inclusion of two towers in the edit shot would have improved it a lot too...
Wild - both excellent shots and so different. Good comp on both and well handled colours. #1 for me but just personal choice of subject. really like that one(y)
Cool - Thanks :cool:

Strong- liking the first castle shot DK, low pov and crop work really well for me (y).......looks a bit fairytale :thinking::D

The big sky and sun rays I like DK (y).......:thinking: I have to agree with Graham though, it does look to run down slightly to the right :confused:

Last edited:
Yeah well, the level is still horizontal though :exit:

hahahaha, :cow:

I like the chains, spot on for the theme and nicely presented (the first shot) not so keen on the second and your submission would be stronger without it IMHO. Good stuff Dean, keep up now! :D

'Ello, Wild #1 for me. Very dramatic and B&W works well. The inclusion of the buoy adds scale and the simplicity really appeals to me. The horizon, hmm, maybe a smidgen off.

Cheers.

Hi DK... more great pictures I see!

21 Strong - I like both but probably the first most. The flare balances the castle on the left and you've dealt with it carefully - not too much, but just enough. Really nice. Very little I could suggest to better here! Did you have a polarizer on?

22 Wild - I love the first shot and I hope you don't mind me saying the second isn't one of your best (even though it's a very well taken and composed shot!) It feels as if you felt you had to just get a shot in and didn't have quite as much heart in it yourself... but that first one is lovely. It's a tiny bit of a crowbar perhaps, but the weather conditions on the open sea are wild at the best of times, so it says wild to me. Love the conversion and sunrays. Really nicely done!

Week 25 Vertical (second attempt) ... very nice, pleasing, clean, sharp image .... beautiful piece of equipment. (y)

Hi Dean,
Both submissions get my vote for wild.
For differing reasons, the B&W conversion is quite striking, lots of drama in there.
Wild flower, because it is such a vibrant colour, against the blue sky and sea, just a lovely scene well captured. Good work Mister (as Lynne would say ;)) (y)

Strong- liking the first castle shot DK, low pov and crop work really well for me (y).......looks a bit fairytale :thinking::D
Damn... could have used it for dream then :D

The big sky and sun rays I like DK (y).......:thinking: I have to agree with Graham though, it does look to run down slightly to the right :confused:
Cheers Phil :)

I have pulled it up in LR again and it is level, I think the jpg doesn't help, the horizon on the left is slightly below the black bit and is right on the RH highlighted bit - I think :D

Yeah well, the level is still horizontal though :exit:

hahahaha, :cow:
:bat:

:LOL:

I like the chains, spot on for the theme and nicely presented (the first shot) not so keen on the second and your submission would be stronger without it IMHO. Good stuff Dean, keep up now! :D
Cheers Brian... and trying my best as usual mate, Mrs DK sat out in the sun relaxing and me indoors with the blackout blind closed blocking the sun :cool:

'Ello, Wild #1 for me. Very dramatic and B&W works well. The inclusion of the buoy adds scale and the simplicity really appeals to me. The horizon, hmm, maybe a smidgen off.

Cheers.
Cheers Mate :)

It's a sailing boat not a buoy :jimlad:

As for the horizon... just looked again for the fourth time... I'm quite complexed with this one, when zooming in I am torn as to the horizons position on the LH side :pics: :thinking:

Hi DK... more great pictures I see!

21 Strong - I like both but probably the first most. The flare balances the castle on the left and you've dealt with it carefully - not too much, but just enough. Really nice. Very little I could suggest to better here! Did you have a polarizer on?
Thanks Paul :)

Nope no polarizer, I did purchase a cheap one but not happy with it's results so far, for this shot the sky was quite overexposed, so I added a diagonal graduated filter that I decreased the exposure and upped the saturation, I didn't add any colour :)

22 Wild - I love the first shot and I hope you don't mind me saying the second isn't one of your best (even though it's a very well taken and composed shot!) It feels as if you felt you had to just get a shot in and didn't have quite as much heart in it yourself... but that first one is lovely. It's a tiny bit of a crowbar perhaps, but the weather conditions on the open sea are wild at the best of times, so it says wild to me. Love the conversion and sunrays. Really nicely done!
Thanks again Paul... I agree with your conclusion of the second wild shot, I was clutching at straws to try and ensure I caught up while I was away, I did try quite a few different shots and angles,. and relatively happy I got something from it, again the theme did it's job and got me trying different ideas and stuff :)

Last edited:
Week 25 Vertical (second attempt) ... very nice, pleasing, clean, sharp image .... beautiful piece of equipment. (y)
Thanks David :)

Hi Dean,
Both submissions get my vote for wild.
Thanks Iain :)
For differing reasons, the B&W conversion is quite striking, lots of drama in there.
Thanks again Iain :) Am I correct in thinking you got some images from here too ??
Wild flower, because it is such a vibrant colour, against the blue sky and sea, just a lovely scene well captured. Good work Mister (as Lynne would say ;)) (y)
Hahaaaa cheers Mister :LOL:

Back