weekly Go on then, 5th go at the 52, finished!

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
5th one in a row for me, may post on time, or may be like 2014, months behind, but finish on time:D
Thanks in advance for following the thread and commenting, I will do my best to visit your threads too as long as time allows, 2015 is looking to be a challenging one.

And so, onto patterns , taken from the bedroom window a 10sec exposure. White balance has proved very awkward under these street lamps, but the colours are very close to the how it looked, I tried and tried to get rid of the colour cast, but no look.

pattern by scilly puffin, on Flickr

I saw this effect on on a pic and fancied trying it out. Replaced with bits cloned out

pattern 2 cloned bits out by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Last edited:
You should be able to turn the colour cast down a bit in ACR
whether or not it was shot in RAW.
However that tends to be a natural "look" anyway in an urban environment doesn't it?

The Jigsaw, a little cloning would help, where you "cut out" the pieces,
as you have left a few dots behind.

Nice start Michael (y)

You should be able to turn the colour cast down a bit in ACR
whether or not it was shot in RAW.
However that tends to be a natural "look" anyway in an urban environment doesn't it?

The Jigsaw, a little cloning would help, where you "cut out" the pieces,
as you have left a few dots behind.

Nice start Michael (y)

Welcome Back Michael, I'm prefering the non-jigsaw one myself, looks damn chilly that's for sure Brrrrrrrrr !!!

Nice to see you here, that does indeed look a little cold there. But it looks like your off to a great start with the challenge.

Thank you.

Hi

Prefer the non jigsaw shot myself too… however the question has to be asked… why did you take it from the bedroom window? This must have really limited composition and i'm sure there was a more angled interesting viewpoint just outside the door?

Mark

Hi

Prefer the non jigsaw shot myself too… however the question has to be asked… why did you take it from the bedroom window? This must have really limited composition and i'm sure there was a more angled interesting viewpoint just outside the door?

Mark

I only had a spare few minutes and children were both awake still, they would have wanted to follow me outside, so decided to open a window. I would have to stand on the area at the front to get something better, which I will probably try at some point.

Kids eh):

I see patterns but no really strong ones. The WB issue should be solvable in camera or in post but it really does spoil the photograph. If you could have got our of the house, I can see some nice shaped on the tyre tracks on the driveway.

Cheers.

Hi! Nice to see you are still at it :)

Like the shot but the pattern is a little lost. The tracks need to be a bit more of a star of the shot. Prefer without jigsaw effect but thats just me.

Roll on week 1!!

Hi Michael, 5 years!! :wideyed::runaway:

I have to agree with Alex in that the trcks should be more prominent.

Hi Michael,

Good to see you back!!!
Glad to see you inspired to try something new with the jigsaw thing too. Not sure that it quite works with this particular image because it kind of takes away from the pattern element, but it's always good fun to master something new and the execution is flawless.

Apart from being really jealous because I didn't get snow, I look at this shot and I see the pattern element in those long straight lines on the main road (emphasised by the single light trail and echoed in the parallel lines in the roof tiles) so for me it really does work for the theme albeit in quite a subtle way.

I personally would like to crop from the top to take away the streetlight and powerlines (and I think with that you may also need to clone out the remaining bit of that roof aerial)
Then crop a little from the bottom too in the same place as the jigsaw version.
You'd end up with a non-standard crop, but I have a soft spot for panoramic images and I think it would work better to emphasise those long straight lines.
Definitely persevering a bit with that WB too IMO. I think it would really transform what you have there if you could 'de-orange' it a bit.

Kids eh):

I see patterns but no really strong ones. The WB issue should be solvable in camera or in post but it really does spoil the photograph. If you could have got our of the house, I can see some nice shaped on the tyre tracks on the driveway.

Cheers.

Hi Michael good to see you back .... I think that for the theme the jigsaw fits the bill better ... it certainly looks chilly there.

Hi! Nice to see you are still at it :)

Like the shot but the pattern is a little lost. The tracks need to be a bit more of a star of the shot. Prefer without jigsaw effect but thats just me.

Roll on week 1!!

Hi Michael, 5 years!! :wideyed::runaway:

I have to agree with Alex in that the trcks should be more prominent.

Hi Michael,

Good to see you back!!!
Glad to see you inspired to try something new with the jigsaw thing too. Not sure that it quite works with this particular image because it kind of takes away from the pattern element, but it's always good fun to master something new and the execution is flawless.

Apart from being really jealous because I didn't get snow, I look at this shot and I see the pattern element in those long straight lines on the main road (emphasised by the single light trail and echoed in the parallel lines in the roof tiles) so for me it really does work for the theme albeit in quite a subtle way.

I personally would like to crop from the top to take away the streetlight and powerlines (and I think with that you may also need to clone out the remaining bit of that roof aerial)
Then crop a little from the bottom too in the same place as the jigsaw version.
You'd end up with a non-standard crop, but I have a soft spot for panoramic images and I think it would work better to emphasise those long straight lines.
Definitely persevering a bit with that WB too IMO. I think it would really transform what you have there if you could 'de-orange' it a bit.

Thank you all, @Barrysprout and @ChickenDipa great to see you back, it seems ages, and yes I can't beleive its the 5th one either!

It's been a pain this image has to sort out the colour cast, too green, too yellow, too yucky!

So here is an edited version, not sure it's quite there but it's not as erm, orange :D and cropped as @SarahLee mentioned

pattern edit by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Oh and as I had a spare few minutes (raining here) I decided to have a play with something else

pattern by scilly puffin, on Flickr

And of course happy new year everyone!

Another vote for the edited version, agree with Sarah re the WB.

Hi Michael & welcome back......not that you've been away from the madhouse :D

Well done on trying what has been suggested re the WB & crop ...it's a vast improvement (y)

I'm quite partial to your 2nd image though.....minimalist but effective (y)

Hiya Michael - welcome back :) not so sure about the jigsaw one - think I prefer it au naturale. Colour cast is difficult to deal with (could convert to B&W) but definitely on theme.

Can't believe this is your fifth year!!

Nice opening shot and a good improvement with the edit.
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Really like the edit Michael, some nice leading lines there. Happy New Year, or, as we say here in Spain, Felíz Año Nuevo :tumbleweed:

I really like the patterns in the snow but would prefer it if they were more prominent rather than just part of a general street scene, I may have tempted to get down to street level but perhaps it looks too bloomin cold though.

Double post.

Last edited:
Another vote for the edited version, agree with Sarah re the WB.

Thank you Mandy,

Hi Michael & welcome back......not that you've been away from the madhouse :D

Well done on trying what has been suggested re the WB & crop ...it's a vast improvement (y)

I'm quite partial to your 2nd image though.....minimalist but effective (y)

Hiya Lynne, thanksfor looking, I quite like the minimal image myself,

Hiya Michael - welcome back :) not so sure about the jigsaw one - think I prefer it au naturale. Colour cast is difficult to deal with (could convert to B&W) but definitely on theme.

Can't believe this is your fifth year!!

Thanks Paul!

Nice opening shot and a good improvement with the edit.
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Thanks Simon.
Really like the edit Michael, some nice leading lines there. Happy New Year, or, as we say here in Spain, Felíz Año Nuevo :tumbleweed:

Thanks Jill for taking a look.

Nice capture Michael, Must say I think the jigsaw effect looks really good. (y)

Cheers Barney..

I really like the patterns in the snow but would prefer it if they were more prominent rather than just part of a general street scene, I may have tempted to get down to street level but perhaps it looks too bloomin cold though.

Thanks Paul, something to remember the next time we get more snow!

Fifth year? You really must be a glutton for punishment :eek: Much prefer the edited version of your snow scene, the purple bits make it look MUCH colder than the original warm tones!

With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck with the rest of the year - not that you need it ;)

Hi again Michael

Ah lights trails ... a thing I've been meaning to try.

Your method of cloning out the street light made me laugh.

Fifth year? You really must be a glutton for punishment :eek: Much prefer the edited version of your snow scene, the purple bits make it look MUCH colder than the original warm tones!

With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck with the rest of the year - not that you need it ;)

Thanks Elaine, no worries , pop in when ever you can

Hi again Michael

Ah lights trails ... a thing I've been meaning to try.

Your method of cloning out the street light made me laugh.

:D Thanks for looking in David.

Hi, Michael, not really getting the connection, I'm afraid. Harsh shadows are an issue, although the overall lighting is quite good.

Cheers.

Hi Michael :)

Bliss - I haven't quite worked out the link to the theme yet mate, but liking the lighting on your fluffy model, the nice bright well detailed areas and the real dark shadows work well :)

HI Michael

I'm guessing this belongs to one of your little ones & it's their idea of bliss ? Why hasn't it got any ears :thinking:

Hi, Michael, not really getting the connection, I'm afraid. Harsh shadows are an issue, although the overall lighting is quite good.

Cheers.

Childhood bliss is what I was going for, nothing better than cuddling the favourite teddy, though I couldn't get a pic of that for some reason lol

I might redo the lighting if I get chance. @blondie606 Funnily enough, someone else asked that very same question the other day, moles don't appear to have any.

Hi Michael, good to see you back again
Pattern the edited version much better though I am failing to see patterns
Bliss has a good idea behind it but the lighting is a little harsh, a good one to have another go at maybe

Bliss has a good idea behind it but the lighting is a little harsh, a good one to have another go at maybe

Heh. I'm here because I couldn't figure out "why bliss?" After seeing others with the same comments I had to smile. Allan has the comment that was in my mind here. It's a brill shot that captures my interest long enough to click through to this thread. However it's a bit creepy with the lack of ears and harsh shadows (problems of being a mole I guess). Technically it's a great shot, but it's not very blissful to me in spite of your explanation. If you did decide to reshoot, I think you've a challenge on your hands to make this satanic creature seem cuddly.

Looking forward to more on this thread.

Hi Michael, good to see you back again
Pattern the edited version much better though I am failing to see patterns

Thanks Allan, points noted. The lighting is probably harsh due to it being lit by one side only and using the led light of my phone to do so.

Heh. I'm here because I couldn't figure out "why bliss?" After seeing others with the same comments I had to smile. Allan has the comment that was in my mind here. It's a brill shot that captures my interest long enough to click through to this thread. However it's a bit creepy with the lack of ears and harsh shadows (problems of being a mole I guess). Technically it's a great shot, but it's not very blissful to me in spite of your explanation. If you did decide to reshoot, I think you've a challenge on your hands to make this satanic creature seem cuddly.

Looking forward to more on this thread.

Hi Ian, thank you for clicking through, interesting observation of him looking creepy, looking again I can see where it comes in! I am now wondering how to make him look more cuddly!

Hey Michael, I like the fragile set..... Especially the way the 3 go up in frame as you go along them. I'm wondering if it wouldn't look stronger as a piece if you toned down the blue slightly on the first photo, then applied to to the others so they were all on a cool tone? Either way, fits the theme well I think!

Like it. Quite a dramatic take on the theme. Not sure about the blue on the left, first thing I thought was your were dead :thinking:

I did a high contrast B&w conversation and quite liked it.

Cheers.

Back