Have a Dell 840 Server.... want to use it as a PC - HELP !!!

Edit My Images
Yes
Evening All

As per the title, wondering if i'm wasting my time looking into this, my PC is even older than my old server so hoping it will be an improvement on that anyway :thinking:

Anybody here done similar??

My initial concern is the on-board graphics, wondering if a semi descent video card to output to my 1080p monitor via HDMI or even DVI can be added to one of the few slots.

Here's Hoping :)

Last edited:
Right... got my 'Getting Started with your System' manual, it says:

Bla.. Bla, Bla.. here we go, The following expansion slots:

• One PCIe x1 (3.3-V)slot
  • One PCIe x8 (3.3-V)slot
  • One 32-bit, 33-MHz PCI (5-V)slot
  • Two 64-bit, 133-MHz PCI-X (3.3-V)slot

Integrated ATI ES1000 SVGA video Controller supporting True Colour Etc... 16MB
Resolutions:
  • 640x480
  • 800x600
  • 1024x768
  • 1280x1024
  • 1600x1200

Last edited:
Been spending a lot of time on google...

Thinking Possibly 8x to 16x adapter - but people getting various results

OR can I/should I change the Motherboard and use the rest of the guts + a new graphics card... Thhis option would certainly eat badly into my 70-200L budget :thinking:

OR I just put up with the 1600x1200 graphics... would that be as slow as an lame ox ??

Last edited:
I just gave away a 512MB PCI-e x8 card via freecycle, bugger....
Coulda sold it for a fiver!

I got more old crap in the loft, not sure about gfx cards though, if I find one I'll pm you and you can have it for free, don't hold yer breath though

I just gave away a 512MB PCI-e x8 card via freecycle, bugger....
Coulda sold it for a fiver!

I got more old crap in the loft, not sure about gfx cards though, if I find one I'll pm you and you can have it for free, don't hold yer breath though
Nice one... Cheers Danny :)

Umm..An average server with dual power redundancy will cost on average £24 to run a month....They are very power hungry

Back