weekly HelenC's 52 for 22 - Week 52: Showcase. Critique welcome

Always good to see new growth.

Lovely shot Helen with those leading scurves!

That's a nice image Helen, the blue sky is a welcome sight and the lines lead well.

Nice shot. I would have tried to miss the foreground tractor tracks going across the image.

I like how your eye is drawn into the shot and the vivid colours. I usually go for some foreground subject in those sort of landscapes and I honestly can't decide if it would have helped or not here - I think I like it just as it is!

I think that it's a beautiful image Helen. I like how the brown tracks at the bottom mirror the horizon and almost create a boundary for the image. I also like how the second set of tracks lead the viewer to the trees.

All the above. Nice light, nice composition, nice curves. A very pleasant shot, right on theme.

Lovely image, those leading lines in the crops are really nice and the whole 'feel' is of tranquillity. Well spotted and well taken (y)

I like the way the lines in the crop lead you through the frame.

Lots of new growth and some really nice colours. Love it.

Always good to see new growth.
That image has a nice, tranquil, feel to it.
Lovely shot Helen with those leading scurves!
That's a nice image Helen, the blue sky is a welcome sight and the lines lead well.
Nice shot. I would have tried to miss the foreground tractor tracks going across the image.
Great shot Helen liking the leading lines from the new growth.
As has been said already, good use of the leading lines through the image.
Interesting that there is new growth already this early in Jan. Winder doesn't end until Mch !!!
I like how your eye is drawn into the shot and the vivid colours. I usually go for some foreground subject in those sort of landscapes and I honestly can't decide if it would have helped or not here - I think I like it just as it is!
I think that it's a beautiful image Helen. I like how the brown tracks at the bottom mirror the horizon and almost create a boundary for the image. I also like how the second set of tracks lead the viewer to the trees.
Lovely light and composition Helen. I like it a lot.
All the above. Nice light, nice composition, nice curves. A very pleasant shot, right on theme.
Lovely image, those leading lines in the crops are really nice and the whole 'feel' is of tranquillity. Well spotted and well taken (y)
I like the way the lines in the crop lead you through the frame.
Lots of new growth and some really nice colours. Love it.
Lovely composition with the lines leading to the trees. Perfect for the theme.
Thanks for dropping by and for the kind comments.

A trip to the coast to photograph some old boats. Unfortunately, my chosen location seems now devoid of old boats... it's all gone a bit upmarket! However, I did get a shot of one of the few remaining old buildings that hasn't yet been converted into an expensive holiday let...

I think I prefer the mono version and deliberately over-exposed the reeds to create a semi high-key feel.

PW6A8029 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

This was a slightly earlier colour version with a little more light before the cloud and rain arrived.

PW6A8018 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Nice mono image and a bit of movement in the reeds - very good!

While the B&W conversion suits the image (and looks almost IR like IMO), I actually prefer the colour one. HOWEVER, having said that, the B&W one does fit the "old" theme better!

I'm with Nod.
The mono image enhances the old look, but I like the colour best.
Nicely taken and I think surrounded by reeds again helps the age factor.

I do like the mono version best. The dark house looks good against the high key reeds.

Lovely picture, the mono definitely adds to the theme. I also like how you positioned the reeds in the picture too.

I'm a big fan of black & white - but in this case the colour version gets my vote. I love a sunlit subject with a black sky - and the colour enhances that here.

Last edited:
I'm torn between the two now.

Really liked the mono version in the main thread then saw the colour version and feel it brings something a little extra to it.

The only comment about the colour one specifically, is that it would be great to crop out (or clone out) the other buildings.

Colour is best for me. How can you "remove" that lovely red roof?

I'm torn between the two images Helen. I understand what you're going for with the b&w version and I like that you've cropped out he buildings to the left but I also like that colour version as it provides more context to the image (just need to crop it the same way :) ).

Both nice. Close call between the mono and colour, though slightly leaning to the colour one because of the nice light

Nice mono image and a bit of movement in the reeds - very good!
While the B&W conversion suits the image (and looks almost IR like IMO), I actually prefer the colour one. HOWEVER, having said that, the B&W one does fit the "old" theme better!
I'm with Nod.
The mono image enhances the old look, but I like the colour best.
Nicely taken and I think surrounded by reeds again helps the age factor.
I do like the mono version best. The dark house looks good against the high key reeds.
Lovely picture, the mono definitely adds to the theme. I also like how you positioned the reeds in the picture too.
I'm a big fan of black & white - but in this case the colour version gets my vote. I love a sunlit subject with a black sky - and the colour enhances that here.
I'm torn between the two now.

Really liked the mono version in the main thread then saw the colour version and feel it brings something a little extra to it.

The only comment about the colour one specifically, is that it would be great to crop out (or clone out) the other buildings.
Colour is best for me. How can you "remove" that lovely red roof?
Very 'Little House on the Prairie', I like the B&W shot you've taken, it works well :)
I'm torn between the two images Helen. I understand what you're going for with the b&w version and I like that you've cropped out he buildings to the left but I also like that colour version as it provides more context to the image (just need to crop it the same way :) ).
Both nice. Close call between the mono and colour, though slightly leaning to the colour one because of the nice light
Thanks for the kind comments folks.
@Kell and @Darkslinger - I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to cloning. When I realised saw the buildings in the colour image I went for a lower angle to crop them out of the shot.. unfortunately the light had vanished so the colour version of that was rather drab hence the mono conversion.

A bit torn this week. I went out on the first sunny day we'd had in ages, just to enjoy it, and thought the old pillbox that is slowly making its way out to sea was once a receptacle for guns...

PW6A8087 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

However, went to take some pics of a stained glass window for our local newsletter and saw this on the way out. A recent clear up in the churchyard has revealed a number of tombs which were much overgrown. As we're back to drab grey light another mono conversion. This was probably once a very grand receptacle...

PW6A8141 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Good choice Helen. Really like the mono conversion on this. Definitely a receptacle, perfect for cold storage.

I prefer your choice too Helen.
B/W suits this image.
It still looks grand to me.

There's some nice contrasts in this. One question is the cross in the centre on the top slab or a separate grave behind, it draws my eye

Always a fan of slow shutter speeds Helen, so the pillbox image appeals to me (I might have gotten a close-up of a pill bottle on top of the pillbox just to have some fun :D ).

I like your shot of the tomb, I think it does well in b&w. Makes me want to know the story of the person inside.

Good choice of receptacle and made for mono :)

I'd have to agree that the one you chose is the best, really works in mono.

Back