weekly HelenC's 52 for 22 - Week 52: Showcase. Critique welcome

Good choice Helen. Really like the mono conversion on this. Definitely a receptacle, perfect for cold storage.
I prefer your choice too Helen.
B/W suits this image.
It still looks grand to me.
An interesting and unusual choice. It looks good in B&W.
Good choice Helen, and nicely contrasty.....
There's some nice contrasts in this. One question is the cross in the centre on the top slab or a separate grave behind, it draws my eye
@Chevin Thanks. The cross is a grave behind... a lower angle to lose it didn't look right and a higher angle caught a horrid pavement light just behind. With hindsight I should have used another lens and opened up the aperture to lose the background.
Always a fan of slow shutter speeds Helen, so the pillbox image appeals to me (I might have gotten a close-up of a pill bottle on top of the pillbox just to have some fun :D ).

I like your shot of the tomb, I think it does well in b&w. Makes me want to know the story of the person inside.
@Darkslinger lol... might take a pill bottle next visit...
I'd have to agree that the one you chose is the best, really works in mono.

Thanks everyone for visiting and commenting. Much appreciated.

You have a good range of tones in your B&W recepticle Helen, I do like the Pillbox as well.

New - Great leading lines, was there an option to be zoomed further out (or move further back) to get the full tracks curve in the image instead of it disappearing and reappearing?

Old - I prefer the colour one with the defined sections although I can see how mono is more suited to the theme.

Receptacle - Great mono conversion which accentuates it's deteriorating state

New - Great leading lines, was there an option to be zoomed further out (or move further back) to get the full tracks curve in the image instead of it disappearing and reappearing?
Thanks for the feeback Stuart. If I recall the foreground was quite messy so needed to be cropped out.

Went out today to at last get rid of the earworm that's been running since the theme came up...
Was lining up a nice shot when a freak wave arrived but I quite like the result!

PW6A8219 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

The others were quite boring in comparison.

PW6A8229 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Wonder what the message says. I think I like the alternative more but that's just me. Both great.

Terrific!

The first is well composed and is nicely post processed. Looks great on Flickr.

It's a really good image Helen, but in this instance, I think I prefer the colour one...

I think I prefer the colour one as well, but it is very close to simonbrown16 image, so I think you have chosen wisely. I do like the misty effect of the freak wave and wonder what the colour version looks like.

Very good shot - I prefer your chosen one, the wave really makes it work!

Cracking! Bring on the freak waves!
Great idea.
I wonder what a lower angle looked like?
@Peter123 Given I'd almost been got by a freak wave I wasn't going to chance putting my camera on the sand and lower down on the tripod didn't work.. created stripes with the sea/sky/sand.
Wonder what the message says. I think I like the alternative more but that's just me. Both great.
@wornish Paper but no message in this bottle :)
Terrific!

The first is well composed and is nicely post processed. Looks great on Flickr.
I think I prefer the colour one as well, but it is very close to simonbrown16 image, so I think you have chosen wisely. I do like the misty effect of the freak wave and wonder what the colour version looks like.
@seaodyssey here you go...
Colourbottle.jpg
What a cracking bottle shot, love it.
Very good shot - I prefer your chosen one, the wave really makes it work!

Thanks for the great comments. Much appreciated.

Right on the ball today! Had a wander down to the river thinking cloud and forecast sun would be good.
No light but had a play for the tech.

PW6A8321 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

This was the original shot, just pulled out a bit for the ICM.

PW6A8316 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

You're quick off the mark this week Helen.

Both nice shots but I really like the ICM version. I love the horizon and the pastel colours in the sky.

Very nice ICM. Good work.

Couple of dust spots to clone out (ICM seems to always make them very visible), and no link on the main page!

The ICM works really well. Having the other image helps explain what you did.

Quick off the mark, I like your shot, looks like a painting and works very well for me (y)

That works well. Makes it look very painterly.

Edit: Back to Bottle - I really liked your first shot and then I saw your re-edit and I think it is even better in colour. The long exposure has given it a very atmospheric look. Love it!

Last edited:
Great image Helen, I like it a lot, very etherial.

Freak wave for the win, I really like how it altered the captured image with the bottle.
It would be a great image on the wall in a house near the beach.

I love your take on the message in a bottle both of your bottle pictures are great, great minds eh! :ROFLMAO:

Your tech picture works really well too, It looks like a painting something that for some reason I have found hard to replicate!

I love the bleakness of the first bottle shot.

The ICM shot works as an abstract image.

Quite Turneresque IMO!

Is it odd that some of us have chosen really poor light conditions to shoot landscapes - out of conscious choice?!

The ICM version takes what could be considered a "run of the mill" shot and really brings it to life.

You're quick off the mark this week Helen.

Both nice shots but I really like the ICM version. I love the horizon and the pastel colours in the sky.
Very nice ICM. Good work.

Couple of dust spots to clone out (ICM seems to always make them very visible), and no link on the main page!
The ICM works really well. Having the other image helps explain what you did.
Quick off the mark, I like your shot, looks like a painting and works very well for me (y)
That works well. Makes it look very painterly.

Edit: Back to Bottle - I really liked your first shot and then I saw your re-edit and I think it is even better in colour. The long exposure has given it a very atmospheric look. Love it!
Beautiful image Helen.
Great ICM Helen. I like this a lot.
Like this shot Helen, like an abstract it is.
Great image Helen, I like it a lot, very etherial.
I like that a lot. :clap:

I think the condition is just perfect for the technique.
Nice, very moody H.
I love your take on the message in a bottle both of your bottle pictures are great, great minds eh! :ROFLMAO:

Your tech picture works really well too, It looks like a painting something that for some reason I have found hard to replicate!
I love the bleakness of the first bottle shot.

The ICM shot works as an abstract image.
Quite Turneresque IMO!

Is it odd that some of us have chosen really poor light conditions to shoot landscapes - out of conscious choice?!
@Nod I often tell myself that poor light is a challenge. In this case days of flat grey skies didn't help :(
The ICM version takes what could be considered a "run of the mill" shot and really brings it to life.

Thanks for the kind comments folks. Much appreciated.

I'm sitting at my desk watching the rain hammer on the window and looking at the rough forecast so am posting a phone shot from a couple of days ago... when the sun was shining. This is a local shortcut complete with a "crinkle crankle" wall, which do seem quite popular in Suffolk. The opposite wall has been leaning at a jaunty angle for many a year!

IMG_20220211_132046 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Well, thank you for that - what an interesting wall! I saw a similar wall in Lymington and was told a story about it being built by French prisoners of war who either were incapable, or not allowed, to build it straight - but I really don't believe either of those explanations. If you have the space, it's a much stronger form.

The wall on the left looks a bit worrying have to say. I would walk on the right hand side.

Look like the bricklayers had a pint or 8 when that was built. Well exposed with the shadow and sun light.

Back