weekly Mandy's first 52 challenge 2014 week 52 added and all finished now

Darn it....missed your Positive shot......on theme for sure but not really keeping my attention though I do like the lighting on the batteries :)

Yep, its on theme Mandy, well lit (y) possibly a different bg, composition for me :thinking:

Hi Mandy nothing left to say but to agree with most of the comments above, not your best effort, sorry

I have re shot my original idea using the batteries to make a " positive " sign with the positive parts showing, i have also spent many moments faffing about to get the batteries as straight as i could. I have also included a shot with a different point of view just to be a real pain in the .... As always thank you so much for looking and taking the time to comment, i have now had enough of this theme so looking forward to the next theme.

Positive edit 1

Positive edit 2
by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Positive a different point of view

Positive edit 1
by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Hi Mandy, love your ending shot with the superb flowery thing (whatever it is).
Like Blondie said, your first positive image was good but not keeping interest. I much prefer the one of the laying down Procells as they also show the + on it and the composition is more interesting to me. I don't like the super bright edit of your first composition though, it's very harsh looking.

Hi Mandy, love your ending shot with the superb flowery thing (whatever it is).
Like Blondie said, your first positive image was good but not keeping interest. I much prefer the one of the laying down Procells as they also show the + on it and the composition is more interesting to me. I don't like the super bright edit of your first composition though, it's very harsh looking.

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to look.

I'm liking the edit 'a different point of view' a lot more Mandy (y) very simple but has more impact for me :)

Your 2nd attempts so much better.
Much prefer the cleaner white BG.
Like the batteries lying down also good use of DOF on this.(y) OCD time I'm afraid, the 2nd from left needs slight A/CW turn :exit:

Seems I have funny eyes but I prefer your first version. I prefer the darker background and there is something else about it...hang on a minute, having another look...

...ok got it.

What does it for me is the top of the batteries as not only do you have Positive in the shape of all the batteries and Positive in the way up the batteries are but also around the rim of the top of the batteries you have a red hemisphere facing forward -- the positive -- and a black hemisphere facing backwards -- a negative or neutral.

Last edited:
Your 2nd attempts so much better.
Much prefer the cleaner white BG.
Like the batteries lying down also good use of DOF on this.(y) OCD time I'm afraid, the 2nd from left needs slight A/CW turn :exit:

Thanks very much, them batteries didn't like doing what I wanted them to do. And that's with the use off blue tack to keep them in place inside my light tent.

Seems I have funny eyes but I prefer your first version. I prefer the darker background and there is something else about it...hang on a minute, having another look...

...ok got it.

What does it for me is the top of the batteries as not only do you have Positive in the shape of all the batteries and Positive in the way up the batteries are but also around the rim of the top of the batteries you have a red hemisphere facing forward -- the positive -- and a black hemisphere facing backwards -- a negative or neutral.

Thank you very much for your comments, my OCD says I had to have them all the right way rather than just any old form.

the edited plus layout is wonderful but i actually prefer the end on shot either way great work

well done on getting a few reshoots in - FWIW I acually prefer the first. :)

The first (cross one) on white is too bright and has no shadow and seems OOF on first glance, as the focus is on the lower one...

The laying down one has the needed shadow but suffers on alligmnent which was great in the first (on black) one. ALso the bumps don't seem to come forward in this.

The first has very little to crit TBH and has the double link to the theme. (y)

well done on getting a few reshoots in - FWIW I acually prefer the first. :)

The first (cross one) on white is too bright and has no shadow and seems OOF on first glance, as the focus is on the lower one...

The laying down one has the needed shadow but suffers on alligmnent which was great in the first (on black) one. ALso the bumps don't seem to come forward in this.

The first has very little to crit TBH and has the double link to the theme. (y)

Thanks for looking

I think it's all been said Mandy, I prefer the edited positive, better exposure and holds attention longer. (y)

A bit late commenting this week but it allows me to see all 3 of your shots :)
I like the idea of the + shape but prefer the final end on shot.

Nice idea.

I find the scratch on the 10 and 8 a little distracting though.

Must be time for tea :)

I have to agree with Mark about the scratches, they also cast a shadow onto the face unfortunately :(

On theme picture, which means I now need to think of something else :p

Hi Mandy :)

Some very nice detail, don't mind the scratches myself I think it adds character (be tempted to clone them off the background though), not sure on the blue tinge but guessing that's the watch rather than the lighting, liking the diagonal grain to the background too :)

Last edited:
Works for me Mandy, great detail (y)

Hi Mandy :)

Some very nice detail, don't mind the scratches myself I think it adds character (be tempted to clone them off the background though), not sure on the blue tinge but guessing that's the watch rather than the lighting, liking the diagonal grain to the background too :)

Yes the watch has a natural pale blue face, thanks for stopping by to look.

You've not gone for the standard 10 to 2 position of watch adverts, nice change. I'm missing the bit at the top, is it a winder, a nurses keyfob clasp, a strap, who knows?

Back