weekly Marsha's 2013 52 - Finally finished!

Hi

I like bees myself (y)
the colours are really nice and catching the proboscis has really made the picture work for me, keeps it on theme :clap:

Really like that shot Marsha, lovely dof and I've got to say I wouldn't have noticed it wasn't sharp to be honest! Perfectly timed and lovely colours too! (y)

Thats lovely Marsha, I particularly like the bright vivid colours to the scene.
No crit to add, you've done that yourself but i must say I never noticed it not being sharp.
It didn't even cross my mind to be honest, all round good work Missus (as Lynne would say, now you've finally met her ;))

Hi hun :wave:

cheers for a fun day last weekend , Bee chasing is quite addictive & I'm really envious of your shot...I can't catch the little blighters in flight for love nor money :crying: Love that you got the probiscus still out & the motion in those fragile looking wings plus a gorgeous bg bokeh :clap:

Hi

I like bees myself (y)
the colours are really nice and catching the proboscis has really made the picture work for me, keeps it on theme :clap:
Cheers Allan

Really like that shot Marsha, lovely dof and I've got to say I wouldn't have noticed it wasn't sharp to be honest! Perfectly timed and lovely colours too! (y)
Thanks Matt, I'm just too honest!

Thats lovely Marsha, I particularly like the bright vivid colours to the scene.
No crit to add, you've done that yourself but i must say I never noticed it not being sharp.
It didn't even cross my mind to be honest, all round good work Missus (as Lynne would say, now you've finally met her ;))
Cheers Iain.

Hi, Sweet, nice one. As Iain said, i didn't notice it wasn't sharp. Good motion blur and well composed.

Cheers.
Thank you Andy.

Hi hun :wave:

cheers for a fun day last weekend , Bee chasing is quite addictive & I'm really envious of your shot...I can't catch the little blighters in flight for love nor money :crying: Love that you got the probiscus still out & the motion in those fragile looking wings plus a gorgeous bg bokeh :clap:

I'd like to say it was skill, but I think luck had a lot to do here! Cheers Lynne.

I got myself a trip on a BAE 146 from 32 (The Royal) squadron on Monday and I sat in the jump seat behind the pilot and co-pilot for the whole trip.

This is what happens when the captain pulls a simulated emergency and 'cuts' the power to engine number four! It's not completely off, just powered right down!

This was taken using live view with my camera on my knees as we were in the climb away from the runway, so again possibly not the sharpest!

But it was a fun trip :D

Last edited:
Hi Marsha.:wave: Hope that you are keeping well.

Speed- good exposure and focus. Good angle and colour
Steps - #1 for me. Good focus and colour - like the quite abstract feel as I cannot work out whether looking up or down the steps. did you not use something similar last year?:thinking:
Mono - super. Good expression and comp with the half hiding pose
Connection - agree a bit shoehorned and a bit ordinary
Beginning - really like the concept and the way that it has been composed with your daughter looking away and the blurred suggestive b/g. Wistful
Still - does not do a lot for me , sorry
Whimsical - i see a leaping deer and for that reason it readily fits the theme. Good colours
Curve- I don't see much of a curve in the land but the coast line is great
Power - on theme and the treatment is excellent - mono with a hint of sepia on my screen. very serene feeling which emphasises the type of power that you are portraying
Solitude - excellent:clap:. Love the contrast between the still and the moving. Good use of the selective colour. top shot.
Sweet - enough sharpness for me. Good b/g and colour. Would like to have seen some part of the stamen but appreciate the difficulty of chasing these things
Cut - looks sharp to me. May not work so well without the explanation. Like the restricted colour palette.
Angle reshoot - well on theme and a good abstract feel whilst still retaining the context of the sky and the plane window. Bit of a distraction to the right - a shoulder?

Last edited:
Hi Alan :wave: cheers for the mega catch up (y)

I'll just reply to a few of your comments. The flowers the bees were on involved then climbing right up inside so no chance of getting any stamens in, just catching them at all was challenging enough!

Cut, unless you fly multi engine aircraft I don't think many would get that shot without the explanation!

Angle, I did consider losing the detail in the corner. I was lucky to not get the pilot in at all, I think that's actually the chair but the pilots nose/ head got in a few shots as there's really not a lot of room to play with!

any shot of a bee in flight is a good one, super background colours with the leaves in sharp focus too. Wonder if it more motion blur than lack of focus?? dunno.

Cut is great, could say power or cut to me, but with the explanation fits perfectly, love the shallow DOF rendering the instruments OOF. Darken or de-sat the green light top right is all I could suggest here.

Angle reshoot is cool too, not sure if the angle camera is over egging the angleness though. Presuming the clouds are level, I'm just sat here tipping my head first left, then right. grrr.

What an exciting life you lead though Marsha!

any shot of a bee in flight is a good one, super background colours with the leaves in sharp focus too. Wonder if it more motion blur than lack of focus?? dunno.

Cut is great, could say power or cut to me, but with the explanation fits perfectly, love the shallow DOF rendering the instruments OOF. Darken or de-sat the green light top right is all I could suggest here.

Angle reshoot is cool too, not sure if the angle camera is over egging the angleness though. Presuming the clouds are level, I'm just sat here tipping my head first left, then right. grrr.

What an exciting life you lead though Marsha!

Hi Graham, the bee shot was just OOF but I have managed to resharpen it quite well, but they are fast, unpredictable little buggers!

Cut, that dam light top left, I had already de-saturated it, so given it another go!

My angle re shoot is so wide I can't straighten the horizon without losing any more of the shot. At the time I was concentrating more on the metering and trying to keep everything in focus! But it does make you look at it sideways on :nuts:

I've updated this shot with the corner bottom right darkened. Also added a thin white border as it looked lost on Flickr!

Hi Marsha

Cut, looks sharp to me, glad you explained it would have had no idea its an interesting shot not a view I would normally see.

Angle, planes on an angle skys on an angle couldn't be more on theme

Hey! - I didn't say bees were horrible I put the "horrible" word in quotation marks because it looked horrible with its thing sticking out! (don't we all?)

Anyway, Cut: now here's a thing! I have loads of vintage aircraft shots from the weekend and nearly used a similar sort of idea. So no explanation required. You did well to get this shot. (y)

Angle: lovely. Great silhouette shot, inside out to the usual (if you get my meaning) which adds to the appeal. Another cracker!

Hi, Cut...he cut the engine (almost) :help:

Like it. Good detail, angle and composition. Looks desaturated which works for me.

Angle, on theme and nice detail in the sky.

Cheers.

Hi Hun :wave:

Congratulations on being this months POTY WINNER :1st:

Angle reshoot....yup , that's a sure fire angle , great exposure & a weird inside out silhouette (y)

Cut....I'm getting ever more envious of your job.......what a feeling that must have been....given that the camera was balanced on your knee's the focus looks spot on :clap:

Cut, looks sharp to me, glad you explained it would have had no idea its an interesting shot not a view I would normally see.

Angle, planes on an angle skys on an angle couldn't be more on theme
Thanks Allan.

Hey! - I didn't say bees were horrible I put the "horrible" word in quotation marks because it looked horrible with its thing sticking out! (don't we all?)

Anyway, Cut: now here's a thing! I have loads of vintage aircraft shots from the weekend and nearly used a similar sort of idea. So no explanation required. You did well to get this shot. (y)

Angle: lovely. Great silhouette shot, inside out to the usual (if you get my meaning) which adds to the appeal. Another cracker!
Cheers Brian, and yes I missed the quotation marks around horrible!

Angle, good use of a plane :LOL: it looks very much as though we are looking through a visor.
Many thanks Mark.

Hi, Cut...he cut the engine (almost) :help:
They don't cut it completely, just power it down to almost idle! The pilot then has to adjust his climb with less oomph, the aircraft did seem to lumber in to the air!

Like it. Good detail, angle and composition. Looks desaturated which works for me.
Thanks, it's not desaturated at all (except the green light top right!) it's very military grey and ancient inside!

Angle, on theme and nice detail in the sky.
Cheers Andy.

Congratulations on being this months POTY WINNER :1st:

:confused: :ty: :D Cheers Lynne, and congrats to you on a VERY close second :woot::2nd::clap:

Angle reshoot....yup , that's a sure fire angle , great exposure & a weird inside out silhouette (y)
Thank you.

Cut....I'm getting ever more envious of your job.......what a feeling that must have been....given that the camera was balanced on your knee's the focus looks spot on :clap:
Cheers, I've only got 17 days left to work :nuts: so my free flight days are almost gone!

I had the camera in live view for this so I could see that it was focusing roughly in the right place, the lower angle was much better!

I actually have an internet signal, alert the media!

I was struggling with live when I discovered there was a concert to launch the British Legion's Poppy Appeal. So I took my camera with me and hoped for the best! Alas my 70-200 flew to Cyprus a few days before so these were taken with my 24-70 and needed a bit of a crop.

I can't say I knew many of the artists performing as I'm not an X-factor or BGT fan, but the 'big' name was the Saturdays:

This is my entry for this week.

These are just for a looking at, the rest of the set are on Flickr.

Ok, he wasn't 'performing' but he was hosting it and he was staring straight at me, and as my mother in law would say, he can take me to Asda any day;)

C&C welcome but I understand if none received as I've not taken part much recently.

Last edited:
Hi Marsha
Have to agree the first shot is really good got the exposure spot on
can't fault that at all

Hi Marsha. Have to agree the first shot is really good got the exposure spot on can't fault that at all
Thanks Allan

Hi, Live #1 for me. Well exposed and composed. Pity the dark fist ? lower left. Cheers.
Cheers Andy. I was holding my camera above my head to get above all the phones being held in the air, alas the disadvantage of live music is hands waving in the air! But then sometimes that adds to the shot.

Hi Marsha :wave:
Another vote for #1 Live, you've handled what I expect would have been difficult lighting really well, lovely vivid colours too.
#2 isn't too shabby either, but the first just shades it.

All round good work Missus (as Lynne would say)

Hey Marsha :)

Glad to hear you have internet - Wooo Hoooo :clap:

Sweet - WOW i love that, these little buggers are so hard to catch in flight and what a great angle you have caught this one at, a great background and a great splash of red finish it off well... what can I say but great :notworthy:

Cut - Oooo very nice, I wasn't sure how this met the theme but with the explanation it's spot on, you lucky girl !!!! great DoF, that works really well :)

The shot through the cockpit window is awesome looks a bit scary with the angle of the horizon !!!!

Live - Great detail for a crop (trying not to look at their legs too often :geek:) for me it's the first shot easily, love the colours of the lights and their expressions !!

Hi Marsha :wave:
Another vote for #1 Live, you've handled what I expect would have been difficult lighting really well, lovely vivid colours too.
#2 isn't too shabby either, but the first just shades it.

All round good work Missus (as Lynne would say)
Cheers Iain, the first shot is my entry, the others are just for show! Thankfully there was an article in Practical photography that month about photographing gigs so I went off and practised :)

hi ya Hun

can't pick between the 2 live shots.... both brillinately sharp, well exposed with cracking colors (y)

Who's the chap....
Cheers Lynne, you can choose the first, that's this weeks entry :)

How do you not know who Gethin Jones is? He used to present Blue Peter and was on Strictly a few years ago, he's also mighty fine on the eye :rolleyes:

Hey Marsha :)

Glad to hear you have internet - Wooo Hoooo :clap:

Sweet - WOW i love that, these little buggers are so hard to catch in flight and what a great angle you have caught this one at, a great background and a great splash of red finish it off well... what can I say but great :notworthy:

Cut - Oooo very nice, I wasn't sure how this met the theme but with the explanation it's spot on, you lucky girl !!!! great DoF, that works really well :)

The shot through the cockpit window is awesome looks a bit scary with the angle of the horizon !!!!

Live - Great detail for a crop (trying not to look at their legs too often :geek:) for me it's the first shot easily, love the colours of the lights and their expressions !!

Cheers DK. I have hundreds of bee shots and very few in focus, they are certainly little buggers!
That flight was rather good, my next one will be to Cyprus, with camera as hand luggage again :D

As for the Saturdays, they were very good, I was pleasantly surprised. And up close they do have mighty fine legs, I was about three metres away from them!

Cheers DK. I have hundreds of bee shots and very few in focus, they are certainly little buggers!
I match your Hundreds and raise you a few hundred more :LOL:
That flight was rather good, my next one will be to Cyprus, with camera as hand luggage again :D

As for the Saturdays, they were very good, I was pleasantly surprised. And up close they do have mighty fine legs, I was about three metres away from them!
The only luggage you need in your position, sounds a dream :D

Sounds like you had a cracking spot at the gig too, did you not get pushed about a tad ???

Nope, no pushing. As it wasn't a true 'gig', not that I would have a clue what it's like at a 'proper' one as I've never been. This was laid on for the staff and families at RAF Northolt, so I was at the front surrounded by lots of children that should have been in bed already! I got a few little kicks from the odd child on Dad's shoulders bit otherwise I was pretty much undisturbed.
Although there was some annoying bloke (Nikon user obviously :shrug: ) that stood right in front of me to take photos. That I could cope with except he had to take up as much room as possible with his elbows blocking everybody else's view, I wasn't amused!
There were a lot of phones being held above their heads, so I had to time it right to avoid them, most of those got cropped out.

Liking Live, the first also for me, nice with the lights and camera (bog one) in shot too, helping the theme along nicely!

Nope, no pushing. As it wasn't a true 'gig', not that I would have a clue what it's like at a 'proper' one as I've never been. This was laid on for the staff and families at RAF Northolt, so I was at the front surrounded by lots of children that should have been in bed already! I got a few little kicks from the odd child on Dad's shoulders bit otherwise I was pretty much undisturbed.
Although there was some annoying bloke (Nikon user obviously :shrug: ) that stood right in front of me to take photos. That I could cope with except he had to take up as much room as possible with his elbows blocking everybody else's view, I wasn't amused!
There were a lot of phones being held above their heads, so I had to time it right to avoid them, most of those got cropped out.
Hahaaaa Certainly sounds like a typical Nikon'ite :exit:

:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:
Hello Peeps, sorry I have MIA after moving to the sunshine isle nearly four weeks ago! Obviously I got the lurgy and I have needed to reorganise the house and actually spend some time with the family!

So just a teensy bit late, here is the first catch up:

Reflection:

I finally decided to invest in some filters and this was their first outing. This is pretty much unedited. Obviously the wind was blowing a gale and the wet weather meant the water was flowing fast, but I quite like the streaks in the water.

I'm not expecting any C&C as I've not been involved for ages, cheers for looking if you did drop in though.

Back