weekly matwest904q's 52 in 2014 Thread

I can see what you was trying to do but I think the dog is a little on the small side. I think for me I would off focused on the Xbox remote and had the rest off the stuff blending into the back ground.
I think in this day and age it is a shame that modern games consoles have taken over from tradition good old family board games. I like my games consoles but I also enjoy a good board game when people don't cheat that is.

I think it needs to stay in colour - yep agree with Mandy that the dog is too small to have too much of an impact. Nice concept though.

Cracking idea although I might not have got it without the narrative.

No real crit from me as you've achieve what you set out to do. OK, hmmmm, at a push, maybe a little more light in the controller.

Cheers.

Odd - not sure, it just didn't work for me. Obviously a couple of people have mentioned the composition which I agree with but I think having the large gold nut and the single silver nut arranged at each end looked a bit neat.

Line - like it, crisp and clear and on theme. Nice composition with the dof and the mag.

Play - I could see what you were getting at without the explanation, possibly a bigger dog as already mentioned and a bit more "pop" throughout would have taken it up a notch?

Hi Matthew :)

Play - I would have liked the focus and light on the controller as the dog is way to small to be the focus point, that too would have put the boxed gamed a tad more oof - Again a good idea though and some good technique showing :)

Hi Matt

wouldn't have got the connection without your words but I can see what you're getting at....agree with comments about the dog & maybe a little bigger DOF on the PS controller ?

Good shot for the theme. As someone has suggested maybe focussing in on the controller with the board games slightly oof. You've hit what you were setting out to do though so well done. On the subject of modern vs traditional, I'm sure my lads (16 & 18) think that the games I was brought up with are spelt BORED games. LOL

Definitely a great take on the theme (y), as mentioned, possibly the game board characters are a little small. Also, I found the game box's a little distracting in the back ground :)

Odd - Good idea just slightly better framing good start though.
Line - I like this nice and sharp with the bar-code. Framing much better (y)
Play - Excellent Idea just a little cluttered and as said already the dog is too small to be focus point.

I won't be commenting too much, if at all, on peoples entries due to me still getting to grips with the technical details and terms of photography. I do hope people aren't too offended by this and I hope to rectify this as the challenge goes on.

You'll actually find that commenting on other ppl's photos is a great way to learn as it makes you really look at them as opposed to just browsing through. Read what other ppl say as well as this can help with understanding what makes a good photo :)

Play - good idea. I find the OOF XBox controller a bit distracting. Perhaps focusing on the dice etc in the middleground with the games boxes more blurry in the background would be another way to tackle it.

Hi. Thank you for all the comments and feedback.

And for this weeks challenge:

I was driving to Coventry this morning and got stuck in the traffic on the M18. I was thinking "that blade is a bit close to the moon". Fortunately, I had my camera bag on the passenger seat of the van but when it came to taking a shot, everytime I lined up the blade with the moon, a van or truck went by. Anyway, this is the shot, a little rushed, a little out of focus and too much noise.
http://500px.com/photo/58437706

TP 52 in 14 Challenge. Close
by
Matthew West

Well caught, apart from what you've mention, great image and take on the theme (y)

Hi Matt,
Line, a different take on the theme, the processing suits the subject, I like the contrasty feel to it.
Play, a good concept, you've set out and achieved your objectives so good work on that.
Close, what a lovely scene, the colour tones in the sky are very pleasing on the eye again good work (y)

yep - done your own crit - love the colours though and the hint of detail and depth in the FG dark areas.

These look good with a bit of motion blur, obv need wind for that though!

Hi agree with above nice colours and a nicely spotted, bit of a halo around the wind turbine only crit i can give

Hi all. Thank you all for the comments and feedback. There is a bit of dust on there, I thought I'd got it all but left the most obvious bit under the moon. I've been working on my composition a lot more since the first week so I hope this shows a little in the weeks to come. It's funny really, I seem to learn something new about photography or my camera and end up forgetting the basics.

Hi Mathew

I'm really liking your Close shot , out of the box thinking , lovely colors in the sky , bit of mist over the fields & well lined up (y)

Think I must need a isit to spec savers as can't see any of the problems you mentioned ----ah , just viewed it on 500px & can now see...still a great image though :)

Thank you Lynne, your comments are appreciated. I know it must be hard work getting round and commenting on peoples photos, so again thank you to yourself and all the other hardcore commentors!

Ok, so to this weeks challenge. I was thinking about bubble baths and bubble gum and all sorts. In the end, I was restricted by time and had to produce something relatively quick to set up so this is my submission for this weeks theme, Bubble Chart.

I'm not entirely happy with the composition but I can't put my finger on why. I think I'll be using up a reshoot on this one.

So, here's version 2:

52 in 14 Challenge Week 4 Bubble V2
by
Matthew West

A closer crop.

TP 52 in '14 Challenge Week 4 Bubble
by
Matthew West

Last edited:
Back