weekly matwest904q's 52 in 2014 Thread

I quite like it Matthew, the pp appeals (y) That's some nice engraving on the receiver :)

Hi Mat

like the mineral shot , bit of a different take on the theme , sepia works really well & you've got some good detail in the engraving (y) Would have prefered the whole finger to be in shot & for the oil can to be fully in focus ?

Nice shot. I love the sepia type tone. I would be tempted to simplify the composition a bit: I feel there just too many props that don't add anything.

Hi, Sorry I’ve not been here before now.

I think the dry ice has worked well in your smoke shot, definitely prefer the original shot.

Mineral oil. Firstly well done for getting a shot up at all, not easy following a bereavement. Not a bad shot, I would try and lose the shadows next time, but I like the sepia tone.

I quite like it Matthew, the pp appeals (y) That's some nice engraving on the receiver :)
Thank you, I was happy that the engraving stood out a bit.
Your mineral fits the theme well, :)
Thanks, I just wish it wasn't so rushed.
Hi! mineral works for me. Proper workman's hands. Pity you clipped the fingers, though.

Cheers.
Thank you, ha, I'll have to apologise for the fingers, with some jobs I go on it's the ingrained dirt look is unavoidable! Unfortunately, It's present in this weeks shot too.

Hi Mat

like the mineral shot , bit of a different take on the theme , sepia works really well & you've got some good detail in the engraving (y) Would have prefered the whole finger to be in shot & for the oil can to be fully in focus ?
Thanks, I hadn't realised about my finger being cut off until you guys pointed it out. It's now embarrasingly obvious!

Mineral works for me and the processing really suits the subject (y)
Thank you, fortunately, the sepia worked for me this time around. The colour and mono shots really weren't up to much at all.

Nice idea Matthew, I don't think it's that bad... liking the PP you have chosen :)
Thank you, fortunately, the idea came fairly quick. It was the PP that was giving me trouble!.

Nice shot. I love the sepia type tone. I would be tempted to simplify the composition a bit: I feel there just too many props that don't add anything.
Thanks, I agree, it was a little cluttered, but I literally stripped the gun down and started shooting, there wasn't much time on composition unfortunately.

I quite like this. It's got a certain feel to it. As said the toning suits it. I would normally criticise the dirty finger nails but in this case it is spot on with the image.
Thank you, again, I've been really fortunate with how it came together after being so rushed, I've been lucky this time and I'm hoping the luck carries over to 'Sense'!

Love the detail in the mineral shot, the colour and processing really set it off.
Thank you.
Nice gritty feel to the Mineral shot . nicely done (y)
Thanks.
Hi, Sorry I’ve not been here before now.

I think the dry ice has worked well in your smoke shot, definitely prefer the original shot.

Mineral oil. Firstly well done for getting a shot up at all, not easy following a bereavement. Not a bad shot, I would try and lose the shadows next time, but I like the sepia tone.
Thank you for your kind comments. Yes, shadows have been my arch enemy of late!

Week 7, Sense
"A feeling of IsoPropyl Alcohol".

Just getting this in on time I think. Again, I've had a mega busy week and had it not been for this challenge, I wouldn't have even looked at my camera.
I'll start off with my own crit in that my dirty fingers, complete with blood blisters, definitely do not fit with this photo. I'm also not happy with the lighting, my jumper cuff being in shot and the flame not being in focus. Should have used a higher shutter speed I think.

4.jpg

TP 52 in'14 Week 7 Sense by Matthew West on 500px

Code:

Well for me it looks fine...does it have to have clean fingers :confused: I think they give it a real earthy feel of realism, I don't think it would look as good if it was too composed, clean and tidy. But that's just me !! Does that hurt by the way? it looks like an 'ouch' moment.

Fits the theme nicely but I have to echo your own crit.
Thank you.
Well for me it looks fine...does it have to have clean fingers :confused: I think they give it a real earthy feel of realism, I don't think it would look as good if it was too composed, clean and tidy. But that's just me !! Does that hurt by the way? it looks like an 'ouch' moment.
Thanks, I think you could be on to something there. When I first started with a camera a couple of years ago, I went all out to follow the rules and do things the 'right' way. After a while, I thought I was dismissing shots that I liked just because they didn't meet with certain criteria and so I went to doing it my own way and breaking a few rules along the way. And now, since starting with this challenge I can feel myself getting back into a 'follow the rules' mode again. I need to find a happy medium I think!

And yes, it wasn't long before the pain kicked in. In fact, there's more shots of me trying to put the flame out than holding it!

I am so far behind with commenting I'm just going on the latest images posted, although I do rather like your b&w Mineral shot :)

for "ending" I don't get it. I mean how is that a photo you took? Isn't it just an edited screen grab?

Last edited:
Hi Mattew

Sense.....It's a good take on the theme , no problem with mucky hands ( though clean one's would probably look better) even the cuff doesn't bother me too much . The bg is distracting me though....almost looks like a bubble round your fingers ,there's some white dot things just above your wrist & another brighter 1/4 circle just above that.....it may be that it's how you intended but I'm trying to work out what it all is :thinking:

Missed your ending shot.... really not doing it for me , have seen much better from you though I guess it's on theme

Last edited:
Sense - that looks painful - hope no hands were harmed in the taking of that pic!

Ending - goes straight over my head, to be honest.

Ending was a photo of my phone of my Tapatalk app that I run TP on. When you get to the end of whatever thread you're reading it says "You have reached the end of the thread". It was this writing that I was focusing on. The end or the ending of the thread. It was dOOds post that was the last post on the thread which ended the thread, that's why his image is there. I'll message dOOd and explain the situation and if he wants me to take it down I will. Being relatively new to photography I wasn't aware this would be an issue. It obviously is. I'm sorry it's not as obvious to you all but I thought it would be fairly obvious given that the entire picture was blurred except the line "You have reached the end of the thread". I hope this clears things up.

Edited to correct dOOds name which I got wrong. My apologies.

Last edited:
It just seemed a bit odd without the explanation, now you say that.....
can't say i like it but I do get it

Sense - Fits the theme. I also don't mind the dirty hand. You're a braver man than I to try this though.

Ending - I got the connection to the theme but I feel it is just a screen grab and I'm afraid doesn't do anything for me. Sorry

I've got to admit Matthew, I looked at this yesterday and just didn't get it :confused: With the explanation it makes sense, I suppose unless you've used to the app its not obvious :thinking: Not a lot else to offer, but its certainly on theme :)

My submission for this weeks topic 'Time'. This is a view of Big Ben from Trafalgar Square. I actually took this last week on a visit to London for my daughters 16th Birthday and as I won't be going back there any time soon I've decided to submit it. I figured it was close enough to the release of the topic to make much difference. Also, it was taken and edited on my Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom.

WEEK 10 TIME

4.jpg

TP52 in 14 Challenge Week 10 Time by Matthew West on 500px

Last edited:
Great having the clock as your main focal point with the rider looking as if he is riding toward it.

Back