weekly Michael23, A 4th 52 wk project 2014, finished!

Hi Michael, another good catch up particularly like "yum" though could do with a little crop at the top,
"sharp" he looks like a character
"pure" nice enough landscape though horizon needs to be straightened
"fall" nice use of selective colour
"communicate" very interesting building and a really well exposed pic

Hi Allan, thanks for the comments, sharp was taken at a ssteam punk event in lincoln, plenty of characters there, not the easiest to photograph due to a bit of getting a bit nervous approaching people and asking if I could take their picture.

Time for a ctach up as it looks like you've been busy....

Reshoot - Good shot of these guys rowing ashore. The image has just enough water in it to give it a sense of scale against the large expanse of sea they're rowing across

Rich - These ships are absolutely massive aren't they. A quick straighten of the horizon would help this one.

Skill - A good record photo of the old ship. It's well positioned moving into the spave on the righ hand side

Architectural - The BB&W apprach works well with this subject. Can't help but want a croquet set in the foreground LOL

Twisted - Interesting shapes in the image. Not sure about the selective colours in the centre though but that can be down to my taste

Fresh - That's a nice woodland scene with the eye being drawn along the path into the image

Linked reshoot - Great shot of the old tram. The bright front of the tram works well with the imposing looking dark sky

Texture reshoot - definitely lots of textures in here so hits the theme. I wonder what the colour original looks like

Half - Again my tastes around selective colours are being tested on this one. It works better though as it accentuates the new against the old

Yum - Nice detail of an interesting doorway.

Promise - A poignant image to which the mono conversion suits it well

Sharp - A sharp dressed man who I guess you captured at a steam punk event. The exposure of the face under the hat has been well handled

Pure - I'm not immediately getting the link with the theme but it is a nice scene with some lovely greens

Sparkle - If I enough money to spend on a Bentley I would not get one in these colours. Ghastly. Apologies if this is yours Michael.

Fall - After all I've said again the selective colour works on this one. Was the post bent or is a bit of barrel distortion adjustment needed?

Communicate - Lovely saturated colours and the symmetry of the image is its strength.

Hi Peter, thats a mega bit of feedback, realy is appreciated, re sparkle, its not mine, I agree the colour is ghastly, we need that as a theme and this would work perfectly :D
In fall there was a lot of barrel distortion which I used the elements 12 filter on to reduce, I need to look in to distortion correction a little more.

HI Michael

another mega catch up.....
Yum I really like for the boldness of the unusual olive green paint work against the stark white walls......with a little work I reckon that would make a great framed image for the wall of a cafe :clap: Clone the wire & grate ( bottom right) , boost the colors a smidge & maybe even give it a water color painted finish.......

Hiya Lynne, thank you for the very positive thoughts on yum, the wire and great were really annoying, will have to try and clone it out. A water colour finish sounds interesting will have a look in elements when i get chance

Now on to weeks 38 and 39,think these week numbers the right way round lol

Week 38, big

Here is a class 37 diesel locomotive, one of my favourites in the diesel world in an excellent livery, just noticed I forgot to clone a couple of bits out!

week 38, big by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Week 39, dark, could be better ie a bit sharper but this was photographed at manchester sealife centre with my eos m, 6400 iso and of course through a tank, quite pleased with the result!

week 39, dark by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Last edited:
Big, you really do like your locomotives. This is one I do like, the greens especially but also the yellow on the front and the graphic phoenixs.

I think you could have emphasised the size by a lower and closer angle with a wider lens, if you had one with you, of course.

Dark, lovely translucent blues and nice dark BG. The noise was inevitable, so well done for getting there.

Cheers.

Big - I'm afraid trains don't really do much for me, apart from take me from one place to another. Nice composition and detail though and it certainly looks big!

Love the jellyfish - smashing colour against the black background! I didn't even know there was a sealife centre in Manchester and having googgled it, it's only 12 miles from where I live, so that will be on the list for entertaining grandchildren one wet halfterm day :ty:

Edit to add - why did the name of the famous search engine turn into moose when I posted it? I'll see if it helps to double the g

Last edited:
Big, you really do like your locomotives. This is one I do like, the greens especially but also the yellow on the front and the graphic phoenixs.

I think you could have emphasised the size by a lower and closer angle with a wider lens, if you had one with you, of course.

Dark, lovely translucent blues and nice dark BG. The noise was inevitable, so well done for getting there.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. I was actually relying on my dad taking his 10-20 on this day and he didnt, he went back to basics and took an olumpus om 3 out!

Big - I'm afraid trains don't really do much for me, apart from take me from one place to another. Nice composition and detail though and it certainly looks big!

Love the jellyfish - smashing colour against the black background! I didn't even know there was a sealife centre in Manchester and having googgled it, it's only 12 miles from where I live, so that will be on the list for entertaining grandchildren one wet halfterm day :ty:

Edit to add - why did the name of the famous search engine turn into moose when I posted it? I'll see if it helps to double the g

Look for blue ribbon chocolate bars as they have a 4 people in for half price voucher on it. Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Big - These locos are definitely big. I like the composition of this one and the image is nice and bright as well. All the detail appears to be captured really well

Dark - Super blue but as you've already said the focus is off. I've tried these though-the-glass underwater shots before and they're not as easy as they look

Hi Michael, love the low angle you have taken the train at, not an expert on trains but it does look big
pity about the focus on the jellyfish but I have tried getting pics in aquariums and its not easy with the limited light and the movement, good effort though

Hi Michael

Big.....yup ,it's that for sure ,nice n sharp good colors.... agree with Andy re the lower closer POV if you get a chance to reshoot :)

Dark....good through glass shot, cracking blue color :)

Hi Michael - great one for big and a wider angle with more extreme perspective would be great but you had the lens you had! Well done on that.

Dark - nice one... there are some technical glitches but in the circumstances I think you've done very well to capture what you did. It could do with some careful NR & resharpening and, yes, focus a touch out but not so much it ruins it.

Good job all round (y)

Hi Michael :)

I had a recurring feeling that your 52 was going to be entirely trains this year, and couldn't remember if that was a plan of yours to try and include them as much as possible ???

Big - Damn that sure looks it, Love the point of view and the way the train gets massive at the front, shame the bumper thing is clipped a little at the front but great colours and detail (y)

Dark - As you say not the best of focus but love the colour of this, pretty good blacks and actually like the little flecks in the water too :)

Need to organize myself with this post! Totally confused as to what pics I have done!

week 40, cut. I have a few pics of waves from my hols, I like this one because of the colour in the water

waves 6 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Week 41, Balance

BALANCE by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Week 42. Change, found this whilst on holiday, made me smile! It was in someones garden so not much I could do about the composition

change by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Week 43, Reshoot and grow. A reshoot of close here, these 2 snow buntings were amazing and came as close as 2ft ftom us! A couple more on flickr if you click through

Snow bunting #1 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

grow, here is a juvenile gannet, which of course will grow into adult hood. Photographed whilst on a boat steaming through 8ft swells.

juv gannet by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Week 44, Live. Often wondered what it was like to live at a lighthouse keeper, again photographed from a moving boat.

bishop rock lighthouse by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Some great images Michael, the juvenile gannet is a belter (y)

Hi Michael, you are the master of multiple catch ups, the sea seems to me to have a bit of a purple cast to it :thinking:
Balance seems a little lost amongst the other rocks
That hoover is just bizarre someones had too much time on their hands
both the bird shots are well captured well done for getting the gannet in flight
I like the lighthouse too though I would probably cropped off some of the sky

well caught up (y)

That lighthouse pic is a stonker.

On the horizon like that, PoV barely above sea-level, such a calm sea, quite beautiful. :clap:

Last edited:
Hi Michael
to quote...."Need to organize myself with this post! Totally confused as to what pics I have done!"........I agree completely ...you wanna try commenting when there's so many to catch up on :D

Of the last set posted the one that immediately draws my eye is the the Lighthouse mono.....the movement in the water , the almost bland sky the placement in the frame & the mono conversion all work really really well for me........:clap: There are just a couple of niggles....dust bunny lhs just below where the darker part of the sky starts & for some reason my ye's are telling me it's a gnats whisker on the squiff & I mean about 1mm , trying to decide if it's my eye's or camera distortion or just an optical illusion ? Other than that it's a super shot & one I'd love to get framed :clap:

Of the rest...your bird shots are lovely, partic like the Snow Buntings for the bg , but all look really sharp (y)

Hi Michael, great catch up.

40 cut: nice picture and interesting POV without the horizon but the WB looks slightly off to me? Might just be my eyes but the white foam looks greeny to me? It might just be a trick from the very green sea surrounding it though.

41 balance: nicely done but maybe a touch underexposed? Also the seaweed under the bottom rock is a touch distracting for me. I'm guessing the light was quite flat... difficult to work with in that case.

42 change: that's funny! It's a shame about the background but as you say, difficult circumstances. Would a shallower DOF have helped at all?

42 reshoot grow: great capture (I've never shot birds) and although the further away one is slight OOF to me, the detail on the nearest bird is superb. Slight desaturation really works for me in that image, too.

44 Live: great spot and well converted. I really like the POV here and the only tweak I could possibly suggest would be a tighter crop. (y)

Hi Michael, you are the master of multiple catch ups, the sea seems to me to have a bit of a purple cast to it :thinking:
Balance seems a little lost amongst the other rocks
That hoover is just bizarre someones had too much time on their hands
both the bird shots are well captured well done for getting the gannet in flight
I like the lighthouse too though I would probably cropped off some of the sky

well caught up (y)

Thanks for taking a look Allan, balance was a really tricky one and I wasn't totally happy with any of them I took, but this one was the pick of the bunch.

That lighthouse pic is a stonker.

On the horizon like that, PoV barely above sea-level, such a calm sea, quite beautiful. :clap:

Thanks David, pleased you like it. This was photographed from a boat, I took loads to ensure I had at least 1 that worked. We were sailing between rocks and islands then so where I was on the boat was bobbing around rather nicely!

Hi Michael
to quote...."Need to organize myself with this post! Totally confused as to what pics I have done!"........I agree completely ...you wanna try commenting when there's so many to catch up on :D

Of the last set posted the one that immediately draws my eye is the the Lighthouse mono.....the movement in the water , the almost bland sky the placement in the frame & the mono conversion all work really really well for me........:clap: There are just a couple of niggles....dust bunny lhs just below where the darker part of the sky starts & for some reason my ye's are telling me it's a gnats whisker on the squiff & I mean about 1mm , trying to decide if it's my eye's or camera distortion or just an optical illusion ? Other than that it's a super shot & one I'd love to get framed :clap:

Of the rest...your bird shots are lovely, partic like the Snow Buntings for the bg , but all look really sharp (y)

Hiya Lynne, thanks for taking a look, even though I keep posting catch ups lol! I thought I had hoovered that dust bunny up, but it must have escaped :D Also it does look a little wonky, I shall take a look, might even get it printed. Pleased you like it.

And now a first! Probably posting a pic on time this year would count a a first! Probably could be better, but right now I don't want to get behind and took a rare moment where he has managed to sleep!

Just a quick one to get this out of the way, xavier our little boy is currently not very well and has giving me tonnes of washing and cleaning up to do:eek:

first by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Hi Michael, great catch up.

40 cut: nice picture and interesting POV without the horizon but the WB looks slightly off to me? Might just be my eyes but the white foam looks greeny to me? It might just be a trick from the very green sea surrounding it though.

41 balance: nicely done but maybe a touch underexposed? Also the seaweed under the bottom rock is a touch distracting for me. I'm guessing the light was quite flat... difficult to work with in that case.

42 change: that's funny! It's a shame about the background but as you say, difficult circumstances. Would a shallower DOF have helped at all?

42 reshoot grow: great capture (I've never shot birds) and although the further away one is slight OOF to me, the detail on the nearest bird is superb. Slight desaturation really works for me in that image, too.

44 Live: great spot and well converted. I really like the POV here and the only tweak I could possibly suggest would be a tighter crop. (y)

THanks Paul, for cut the sea was actually that colour, including the greens and purples, it was quite cool as a bit extra light caught it.
balance, a very tricky subject. Light was flat at the time, ironically I was never there when the sunshine and blue sky were out, always the oppositwe end of the island!
grow, kind of wish I had used a wider aperture, but was using my 50-500. Thanks for the comments, :)

Always seems to be a catchup with you Michael. Amazed how you keep managing it. :)

Those snow buntings are beautiful, their perch is great and the OOF interest behind them sets them off really nicely.

The gannet in flight is also superbly caught. Anything in flight is difficult.

Lighthouse is good too, but it shows you need to get the dust off your sensor! :p

First, in the circumstances, we'll let you off. It's on theme. (y) :)

Well done on the catch up! I especially like the Rusty Henry and beautiful snow buntings.

First - I had a look for a first something or other book when the theme came up, but the only one I could find was a very tatty one that looked thoroughly disreputable, yours is much better! Hope your little boy is better again soon.

Another good bunch of photo's !!!!

Cut - A nice sea and lovely colours... but not sure on the link to cut :D

Balance - Now I like this one, nice DoF, shame the top stone is not round like the others, as I really like their pattern, Well stacked :)

Change - Now that's something you don't see every day - A nice fun bright image !!!

Reshoot - and grow - A couple of lovely birdie shots some lovely detail of the markings in both, the background of the first is very complimentary, and a really nice bird in flight, well captured (y)

Live - Liking this one, the lighthouse looks very desolate and really like the water between you and it, think it needs a tiny level on the horizon, other than that liking the PP - Nice crop and finish !!!!

Always seems to be a catchup with you Michael. Amazed how you keep managing it. :)

Those snow buntings are beautiful, their perch is great and the OOF interest behind them sets them off really nicely.

The gannet in flight is also superbly caught. Anything in flight is difficult.

Lighthouse is good too, but it shows you need to get the dust off your sensor! :p

First, in the circumstances, we'll let you off. It's on theme. (y) :)

Thanks Graham, much appreciated.

Well done on the catch up! I especially like the Rusty Henry and beautiful snow buntings.

First - I had a look for a first something or other book when the theme came up, but the only one I could find was a very tatty one that looked thoroughly disreputable, yours is much better! Hope your little boy is better again soon.

Thanks Elaine, pleased you like them. Xavier is a little better, but now trying to work out if he has developed a milk intolerance.

Another good bunch of photo's !!!!

Cut - A nice sea and lovely colours... but not sure on the link to cut :D

Balance - Now I like this one, nice DoF, shame the top stone is not round like the others, as I really like their pattern, Well stacked :)

Change - Now that's something you don't see every day - A nice fun bright image !!!

Reshoot - and grow - A couple of lovely birdie shots some lovely detail of the markings in both, the background of the first is very complimentary, and a really nice bird in flight, well captured (y)

Live - Liking this one, the lighthouse looks very desolate and really like the water between you and it, think it needs a tiny level on the horizon, other than that liking the PP - Nice crop and finish !!!!

Thanks for the catch up again Dk :) PLeased you like the pics and as always comments and critique much appreciated.

Firstly an attempt at a light trail through a car window at around 70mph. A few bits cloned out, which might need to be done again i think. Not perfect but I liked the smoothness of the colours and detail.

smooth by scilly puffin, on Flickr

A spiders web, photographed with heavy dew on it using a 60mm macro lens and built in flash. Colours are virtually as they came out, just gave them a little more punch.

attached by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hmmm, I can see what you were trying to achieve with Smooth, but without the explanation I have to say I find the image a little vague and nondescript - purely a subjective point of view though.

The spider's web on the other hand is superb! Fab colours contrasting perfectly against the dense black bg and some lovely shapes and angles :clap:

Hi, Michael, Smooth, one of them photographs that works really well because of its simplicity. I like the golden colours as well.

Attached, great capture and well spotted. I had a similar idea but didn't have time to find one. The colours work well, too.

Cheers.

Hi Michael, two good images there, like the abstract nature of the first and the subtle colour
spiders web works well too great colour in there and nice DoF which really helps the image

Hmmm, I can see what you were trying to achieve with Smooth, but without the explanation I have to say I find the image a little vague and nondescript - purely a subjective point of view though.

The spider's web on the other hand is superb! Fab colours contrasting perfectly against the dense black bg and some lovely shapes and angles :clap:

Hi, Michael, Smooth, one of them photographs that works really well because of its simplicity. I like the golden colours as well.

Attached, great capture and well spotted. I had a similar idea but didn't have time to find one. The colours work well, too.

Cheers.

Hi Michael, two good images there, like the abstract nature of the first and the subtle colour
spiders web works well too great colour in there and nice DoF which really helps the image

Thanks all, comments appreciated!

Now a couple for energy, taken at the good food show, challenging conditions, loads of people and trying out the 60mm eos lens via an eos m adapter

good food show #2 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

good food show #9 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Hi, Michael, I can see the link between food and energy, but I'm not really seeing food in either of them :thinking:

Of the two, I like the horizontal layers of the second one. Must have been a long day because they all look very fed up :)

Cheers.

Hi, Michael, I can see the link between food and energy, but I'm not really seeing food in either of them :thinking:

Of the two, I like the horizontal layers of the second one. Must have been a long day because they all look very fed up :)

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, I really wanted a shot with some of the food stuffs in, there were a couple of hog roasts going on, but couldn't get anything decent of them, plus children in tow made it rather awkward to get many more photos. So I plumped for these going with a persons energy levels.

Hi Michael

Smooth I really like....mocha/chocolate color palette appeals to me , very abstract & I find it soothing to look at - could see that as a canvas in a letterbox crop :clap:

Attached...beautifully done , love the colors against the black background :clap: Like Andy , I went a hunting a web today but failed to find one :(

Energy.....not really doing anything for me I'm afraid , look very snap-shottish , no clear focal point...sorry :(

Hi Michael .... some super shots there in your catch ups .... re the last few ...I really like smooth ... it makes a wonderful abstract image and it really epitomises the word, great colours too.

Attached ... the colours are amazing, I've never noticed any like that in a spiders web .... really very nice indeed.

Energy ... I like the second shot ....I just thought of the energy it takes to walk around one of those shows ... I like the b&W it's effective.

Hiya Michael

Well, I really like smooth. I like the abstract feel to it: the pattern and tones. Not sure if you've added the vignette and equally unsure whether I like it with or without. Whatever, it's a great shot (y)

Attached - lovely shot of the web and some fantastic colours. Really well taken. Bokeh is good, although I'm a bit distracted by the fringing around the OOF highlights. Really well taken :clap:

Energy - second one for me, but even that is perhaps just a touch too "midtone" for me. I'd probably prefer to see more black blacks and more white whites. But otherwise it's a well taken shot and I do like the horizontal lines which are implied by the people and the mannequins.

Good job all round!! :)

Hi Michael

Smooth I really like....mocha/chocolate color palette appeals to me , very abstract & I find it soothing to look at - could see that as a canvas in a letterbox crop :clap:

Attached...beautifully done , love the colors against the black background :clap: Like Andy , I went a hunting a web today but failed to find one :(

Energy.....not really doing anything for me I'm afraid , look very snap-shottish , no clear focal point...sorry :(

Hi Lynne, thanks for popping in, comments appreciated as always, spider web is certainly one of my fave pics from this year.

Hi Michael .... some super shots there in your catch ups .... re the last few ...I really like smooth ... it makes a wonderful abstract image and it really epitomises the word, great colours too.

Attached ... the colours are amazing, I've never noticed any like that in a spiders web .... really very nice indeed.

Energy ... I like the second shot ....I just thought of the energy it takes to walk around one of those shows ... I like the b&W it's effective.

Thank you Susie, pleased you like the pics, its the first time I have ever noticed colour in the webs too, I assume its the flash reflecting in the dew drops which brings out the colours.

Hiya Michael

Well, I really like smooth. I like the abstract feel to it: the pattern and tones. Not sure if you've added the vignette and equally unsure whether I like it with or without. Whatever, it's a great shot (y)

Attached - lovely shot of the web and some fantastic colours. Really well taken. Bokeh is good, although I'm a bit distracted by the fringing around the OOF highlights. Really well taken :clap:

Energy - second one for me, but even that is perhaps just a touch too "midtone" for me. I'd probably prefer to see more black blacks and more white whites. But otherwise it's a well taken shot and I do like the horizontal lines which are implied by the people and the mannequins.

Good job all round!! :)

Thanks Paul, no vignette added, I would thing its the reflection or shadow created by the car door/ window frame which has given it that look. The energy shots were a little tricky to convert to b+w, but I do like the outcome.

Back