weekly Michael23, A 4th 52 wk project 2014, finished!

Lovely rich colours and lots of lines. Like the concept a lot.

Good start!

Thank you.

Hi Michael,

4th year running, that's just mad!! :p

Lines - I think the building itself works really well with the theme and I like the colours, but personally not a huge fan of the railing or the lamp.

:D Thanks for taking a look Nathalie.

Loving the colours and lines. Another vote from me for tighter crop though to make it more abstract.

Lovely colours and textures in 'Lines'. Well seen and captured.

Gerry

Hi Michael, first time visiting your thread this year, sorry.
A good start, I like the colour tones in the image, its bang on theme too. Small crit, I find it a little unbalanced, the darker tones being to the right hand side is what I think does that IYSWIM

Here we go with a major update! Illness and lack of time has not been helping with the delay. I still have mineral to do and I may well redo smokey and swirl at some point. Sorry for not being around to follow other threads. Will see what I can do in terms of catching up.

Week 2, Play

Week 2, play idea 2
by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Week 3, Close

Week 3 Close

Week 4, Bubble, A train known as The Bubble Car.

Week 4, Bubble

Week 5, Smokey

Week 5, Smokey

Week 7, Sense, Common Sense

Week 7, (common) sense

Week 8, Ending

Week 8, Ending

Hi Michael. Good to see you back and catching up.

Play - This brought a smile to my face. You've just cropped the top of the little lad's hair off but I like the fact the theme has been written with sticks and he is offering up another stick in his hand
Close - I'm not immediately getting the link to the theme and am maybe finding this a bit too noisy for my taste
Bubble - Good clean shot of the train and nicely focussed. It's a shame about the modern houses in the background though.
Smoky - Leaving space for this A4 is good although I feel the WB is off somewhat in the top half of the image
Sense - There's definitely a railway theme going on here. Good blues and browns in this one. My OCD just wants to centralise that sign though ;)
Ending - I quite like this. The use of the tatty fire bucket as the closest point of interest adds to the image.
Positive - I feel the real picture is on the left hand side of the image. It seems to have more interest than the more modern electrical box on the right.
Time - I like this. The lengthy shadows from the sticks make this for me
Swirl - Not quite as effective I feel. Maybe because it's taken too far away from the stone chippings.

Hi, Michael, I'll keep up from now on but top 2 for me are Sense, well spotted, fills the frame and nice colours. I'd have had to level the sign, though :)

Ending, well spotted. Nice angle and food depth.

Cheers.

Hi Michael. Good to see you back and catching up.

Play - This brought a smile to my face. You've just cropped the top of the little lad's hair off but I like the fact the theme has been written with sticks and he is offering up another stick in his hand
Close - I'm not immediately getting the link to the theme and am maybe finding this a bit too noisy for my taste
Bubble - Good clean shot of the train and nicely focussed. It's a shame about the modern houses in the background though.
Smoky - Leaving space for this A4 is good although I feel the WB is off somewhat in the top half of the image
Sense - There's definitely a railway theme going on here. Good blues and browns in this one. My OCD just wants to centralise that sign though ;)
Ending - I quite like this. The use of the tatty fire bucket as the closest point of interest adds to the image.
Positive - I feel the real picture is on the left hand side of the image. It seems to have more interest than the more modern electrical box on the right.
Time - I like this. The lengthy shadows from the sticks make this for me
Swirl - Not quite as effective I feel. Maybe because it's taken too far away from the stone chippings.

ThanksPeter for the full set of co comments, very much appreciated as I had gotten so far behind!Close, was merely a close up shot of the statue, it's at St Pancras Station in London. I did overlay a filter in pp which is where the extra texture is coming from. The pic of Bittern does look a little blue, which I missed somehow. That sign bugged me, I knew I was going to need to correct straightening in pp, the angles made it really awkward to get it all completely level, worth another shot on the next visit maybe.

Hi Michael

hope you're back to full strength now :hug:

In no particular order.....

Play...cute pic of your little one...shame you got so close to the top of his head

Ending...quite like this one , would maybe benefit for a slight boost in the reds ?

Smokey....has potential , train coming in at a good angle , some good smoke going on there & looks plenty sharp . I'd have cropped to in front of the sign on the rhs & played with the WB a little as it seems a tad blue...though I appreciate this looks like an evening shot

Linked.....sorry Michael but this one looks a little rushed.....bg seems too harsh, shallow DOF whilst it's isolated the stamen gives a strange look to the whole image ,there's a couple of odd feint black lines at the top, the writing is overpowering but I see why you added it . Maybe use a bigger DOF to get the whole flower head in focus , off set it one side slightly then add some subtle text ?

Apologies if that's harsh Michael but I know you can do better

Hiya Lynne, thanks for the comments, and dont worry that its harsh. I can see those black lines now, totally missed them. Looks like its the angle of the screen that made me missed them. With linked I was having a play last night with elements. It clicked for the theme and I just went for it. You have pointed out good points and I will have another look at this idea to see if i can make it better.:)

Well done on the catch up Michael (y) Hope you don't mind, I'm not going to comment on them all.

Play, good fun image, made me smile too (y) as Peter mentioned, I also noticed it was just a bit tight cropped :)

Close, didn't get the connection but I find it a strangely interesting image, I keep going back to it. :thinking:

The way the chap/young lad? in the middle could possibly be annoying the couple in front, he's trying to ignore the lad whilst she's trying to keep an eye on him without being obvious. Think it really suits the prepossessing, don't mind the noise, was that intentional?

I can't just put my finger on it...........but it really does appeal to mi........great image (y)

Can I ask where you took it?

Well done on the catch up Michael (y) Hope you don't mind, I'm not going to comment on them all.

Play, good fun image, made me smile too (y) as Peter mentioned, I also noticed it was just a bit tight cropped :)

Close, didn't get the connection but I find it a strangely interesting image, I keep going back to it. :thinking:

The way the chap/young lad? in the middle could possibly be annoying the couple in front, he's trying to ignore the lad whilst she's trying to keep an eye on him without being obvious. Think it really suits the prepossessing, don't mind the noise, was that intentional?

I can't just put my finger on it...........but it really does appeal to mi........great image (y)

Can I ask where you took it?

No worries on not commenting on them all. The close crop on play, I currently dont have a standard zoom, just a 40mm pancake so if i had stepped back i would have missed the.moment, as soon as i took tje pic my little boy was undoing the artwork and that was the end of that lol!

Close, thanks for the comments on this one. The noise was a texture applied in pp if i remember correctly.
The statue is in london st pancras. Here is a wiki link which shows it in full

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Day_(sculptor)

The statue is in london st pancras. Here is a wiki link which shows it in full

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Day_(sculptor)

London....:(.....well I won't be going there then, I don't do London............. well maybe again one day :D

The link puts them in perspective, I didn't realise they were only about 18 inches tall ( guessing going off the link pictures :thinking:) . I would have never thought that from your image, cheers Michael (y)

this was the first time in a number of years that I have been, got cheap tickets on the train. The height is roughly 8-10" I think of the ones I photographed, it's a cracking statue.

Had another go at the pic for linked, using a different pic.

linked version 2

Text is a little tight but I think it's better than the 1st attempt

Hi, out of your catch up play (he looks like he's enjoying himself), close (like the processing) and ending (though it needs a bit of a crop) stand out for me
not getting linked, the first is too harsh and the lettering to be honest is awful, the second the daffodil is better but BG and again lettering not working for me

after all that nice to see you back (y)

Well done for your big catchup:)

Hi Michael, glad that you are feeling better,
I'm not going to comment on all your pictures,liked your play, lot of nice pictures well one:)

Thanks Judi for taking a look, much appreciated.

Hi, out of your catch up play (he looks like he's enjoying himself), close (like the processing) and ending (though it needs a bit of a crop) stand out for me
not getting linked, the first is too harsh and the lettering to be honest is awful, the second the daffodil is better but BG and again lettering not working for me

after all that nice to see you back (y)

Hi Allan, thanks for your thoughts. Linked was daffodils and Easter time being around at the same time. Anything you think would make it better?

Really like the Play image just the crop as mentioned.
Close - Yeah I've seen these really good close up.
Nice line up of Fire buckets good composition just need to up the reds a touch.
Sorry not keen on the Linked I'm with Lynne on the first shot and not getting the Link to the theme I'm afraid.

Bit confused as you've got Positive Time and swirl on the Pics thread but not on here :thinking:

Last edited:
Really like the Play image just the crop as mentioned.
Close - Yeah I've seen these really good close up.
Nice line up of Fire buckets good composition just need to up the reds a touch.
Sorry not keen on the Linked I'm with Lynne on the first shot and not getting the Link to the theme I'm afraid.

Bit confused as you've got Positive Time and swirl on the Pics thread but not on here :thinking:

Thanks for the comments, I may see what else I can do for the theme, for me it is daffodills and easter time, they occur at the same time of year hence the linked theme.

I noticed before that the pics didnt show in this thread when i viewed on the app, checked on the laptop and they are there. Could be flickr though, ifs been a pain in rear just lately.

Wow now that was a catch up mate :clap:

The 'Pink' easter one works best for me out of the two, nice and bright and a very different take on the theme I would have guessed :)

of the last bunch added, my fav has to be the fire buckets, a great angle, and love the tatty buckets and the rust coming through the paint on the hooks !!!

Wow now that was a catch up mate :clap:

The 'Pink' easter one works best for me out of the two, nice and bright and a very different take on the theme I would have guessed :)

of the last bunch added, my fav has to be the fire buckets, a great angle, and love the tatty buckets and the rust coming through the paint on the hooks !!!

Thanks Dean, cheers for popping in, much appreciated!

I'm not keen on the linked shots at all I'm afraid. The pp in the white one is missing some basics and the pink is, well pink. Far to garish for the subject. Sorry

Back