weekly Michael23, A 4th 52 wk project 2014, finished!

Powerful daffodil pic

But it's the step out the door pic that caught my eye

hmmm .... o_O

Step - I like the really close crop on the keys and the oof background outside

Nature - That's a real in-your-face daffodil. The blue sky and fluffy clouds help add to the image. Good focus on the stamen as well.

Hi, Michael, Step, interesting interpretation and has real potential. I'd lie to see it a little wider and a bit more DOF to show some more detail of the outside.

Nature, yup, cracking colours and liking the detail. My first thoughts, though, was that is looks like a composite. I can't really out my thumb on my reasoning and I strongly suspect it isn't....think I need to some back and have another look-see.

Cheers.

One of the best daffodil photos I've seen.

I think it's the in your face positioning of the flower and the lovely sky.

Great idea for step (y) would have liked to see more detail in the keys though,they look a little dark to me :thinking::)

Cracking dafi shot, looks good against the bg (y)

Hi Michael

Step out...like the idea but would prefer a slighter wider/taller view to include the lock but I do like the flash of pink which lifts the image a bit

Nature.....lovely true to life Yellow,like the angle & the blue sky with fluffy clouds (y) but it does look a little pasted on...I suspect due to the angle & distance to the sky ?

Hi, Michael, I think Nature has potential. As it is looks like a sod of grass, but I feel a few miniature models would take it up several level.

Action, the separation is bang in IMO, just enough to make him pop out and not too much that you can't see the buildings.

Mono, #2 for me, I like that it's a tad brighter

Good catch up.

Cheers.

Hi Michael....I really like the first one but am just not sure on the angle....when you zoom in close to it there is so much lovely detail in it, it seems a shame that this is not obvious at first glance.

Your action shot is spot on....that looks like hard work !

I love the mono.....I think pic two has the edge .... but they are both really super shots.

Last edited:
Hi Michael,
I like your 1st nature shot better
Action... very nice shot fits the theme well, balanced composition and like the dof too :)
Mono.... #2 for me lovely like the dof making it softer round the edges,its slightly brighter too :)

Great catch up from love the action shot.
Hi Michael,
I like your 1st nature shot better
Action... very nice shot fits the theme well, balanced composition and like the dof too :)
Mono.... #2 for me lovely like the dof making it softer round the edges,its slightly brighter too :)
Damn I have missed a few of yours mate - Sorry :)

Of the last few, I really like your option 2 mono, them dandelion seeds are great, really like the close in view (y)

The crop on nature is a tad tight for me, although I like the centre detail and colours :)

Thanks all for the comments much appreciated. I have still got to do a few to get back up to date, but getting there very slowly.
To do

Mineral
Twisted
Shape
And I'm sure there's another one :confused:
Haha ts fresh I need to do too.

Last edited:
Nature - That confused me for the moment as I thought you'd already done Nature. An interesting piece of moss especially those red bits

Action - Nice portrait of the piper in full blow.

Mono - Nice use of the macro lens - or at least being up close. I definitely like what you've down to these. Very nice.

Nature - That confused me for the moment as I thought you'd already done Nature. An interesting piece of moss especially those red bits

Action - Nice portrait of the piper in full blow.

Mono - Nice use of the macro lens - or at least being up close. I definitely like what you've down to these. Very nice.

Hi Peter, thanks for the comments, Pleased you like the pics, I really like the seed heads myself. Made for a very pleasing picture.

I am 10 themes behind, but I am still in, just need to find appropriate subjects and time.

Way behind but stoll in with a little catch up for now.

week 6, Mineral

Week 6, Mineral_edited-1 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Week 19, shape, The Vulcan at Cosford

vulcan #12 (wk 19 shape) by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Week 20, numbers. The Harry Potter Steam Train, on a very rare main line tour

5972 Harry Potter Steam Train #2 (week 20 numbers) by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Week 21, Storng/strength, The Antonov 225 the worlds largest aeroplane!

antonov 225 #6 (wk 21 strength/strong) by scilly puffin, on Flickr

antonov 225 #1 (wk 21 strength/strong) by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Week 23, Wild

small tortoiseshell (wk 23 wild) by scilly puffin, on Flickr

So, left to catch up on

2x re-shoots
swirl
twisted
fresh
texture
dream/dreamy
vertical

The mineral shot is superb Michael. No blown highlights but still plenty of detail in the shadows on the carriage. Some good leading lines taking you across the frame too with good colours.Well done (y)

Hey Michael :)

Mineral - Well spotted opportunity there mate, looks like you were on the nice shaded side of the track too !!

Shape - A wonderful shape that Vulcan, stands about great against the bland sky, nicely frozen capture :)

Numbers - Works in a couple of ways this one, the numbers on the train and the mass number of people, shame you didn't get a clear shot of the front, and again not blessed with the best of skies :)

Another good catch up mate, there seems to be a theme developing this year, as many tied in to train stations as possible, guessing that is deliberate or a way of catching up ??

Strong/strength - Preferring the B&W on this one, feel you could get away with even more off the top (loose some of the bright patch and a bit more off the bottom, can't believe all them wheels :D

Wild - Good to see a bit of nature, although by internet connection is only showing half of it now :thinking:, will have to comment in more detail later

A nice big catch up again Michael and liking a bit of variety again :clap:

The mineral shot is superb Michael. No blown highlights but still plenty of detail in the shadows on the carriage. Some good leading lines taking you across the frame too with good colours.Well done (y)

Thanks Adam (y)

Hey Michael :)

Mineral - Well spotted opportunity there mate, looks like you were on the nice shaded side of the track too !!

Shape - A wonderful shape that Vulcan, stands about great against the bland sky, nicely frozen capture :)

Numbers - Works in a couple of ways this one, the numbers on the train and the mass number of people, shame you didn't get a clear shot of the front, and again not blessed with the best of skies :)

Another good catch up mate, there seems to be a theme developing this year, as many tied in to train stations as possible, guessing that is deliberate or a way of catching up ??

Strong/strength - Preferring the B&W on this one, feel you could get away with even more off the top (loose some of the bright patch and a bit more off the bottom, can't believe all them wheels :D

Wild - Good to see a bit of nature, although by internet connection is only showing half of it now :thinking:, will have to comment in more detail later

A nice big catch up again Michael and liking a bit of variety again :clap:

Thanks Dk for those comments, (y) as for the trains it seems to be what I end up photographing this year, not getting time for much else, but thankfully they all don't look the same :D
The wheels, was uncropped, taken at the long end of my 50=500 so it certainly could take a crop, I will probably take a look at again, thanks for the suggestion.

oh and I forgot, I did have this of the steam train too

5972 Harry potter steam train #7 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Michael - that's a good catch up! And I think I'm starting to spot a bit of a theme with your photos ;)

6 Minerals: great shot as others have said. It just "feels" right, compositionally. Great detail, focus etc. Can't see how to improve that.

19 Shape: It's a lovely (metal) bird and great to capture a shot with the bay doors open. Nice detail in there. My only slight crit is it doesn't pop as much as it could with the grey of the plane being quite close to the grey of the sky. Not much you could have done at the time with either though!

20 Numbers: probably my least favourite if I'm honest. It feels a bit more like a "snap" so sorry if that sounds harsh - most of my photos taken end up looking far worse than yours! I can get the multiple meaning of the "numbers" bit... obviously number of people, numbers on the train, platform 9 1/2 etc. but it's the least compelling for me. Sorry!

21 Strength: like the shot of the wheels and I think you do need the amount of context you have so you realise it is a plane. Great detail and the B&W works for me.

23 Wild: pretty shot of the butterfly but would have been nice to get the whole thing in focus - I guess it would have needed to be flat on with your shallow DOF. Lovely colours though.

I will try to work my way back too! Great photos and keep catching up (I have even more to do...)

Hi, Michael, I'm struggling with time at the moment, especially with catch ups, but keep at it. If the event set I like the warmness of mineral and colours if wild, especially the greens.

Cheers.

Hi Michael,
Mineral'' really good idea fits the theme well, good shot
Shape.. love the Vulcan a great shape with lots of detail there
Numbers... lots of numbers, numbers of people and on the train well caught
Strong strength... gosh what a lot of wheels! I like the colour version as it has all the plane in
Wild.. good shot of the butterfly fits in well
well done on your catch up some really good images there (y)(y)(y)

Hi Michael,
Mineral'' really good idea fits the theme well, good shot
Shape.. love the Vulcan a great shape with lots of detail there
Numbers... lots of numbers, numbers of people and on the train well caught
Strong strength... gosh what a lot of wheels! I like the colour version as it has all the plane in
Wild.. good shot of the butterfly fits in well
well done on your catch up some really good images there (y)(y)(y)

Thanks Judi, much appreciated (y)

Hi Michael

crikey...another mega catch up...going to just pick a couple of your shots as I really need to get round the rest of the threads tonight !

Vulcan.....lovely shot & interesting to see the underside open bit....apparently this plane lives at RAF Finningley so given how much time I spend at the moto x track right alongside it I may stand a chance of getting a shot as well

Wild...lovely DOF , sharp & bright with good focus (y)

The last shot of the train for Numbers is much better than the 1st mainly cos you can actually see the train....I'd clone out the biffa skip & might even B&W or speia it to give a feel that match's the era of the train ??

Strength.....not taken with the close up due to the bright patch across the top but the full shot works well....that is one mahooooosive bird :eek:

Tahnks Lynne :) Hadnt noticed the skip in the steam train shot, didnt try a conversion on this one, I may well do so. Vulcan is amazing, her engimes life span end next year from what i have been told so keep a look out for her if you want her in flight. Thanks for the comments, much appreciated as always.
Should get my loud shot today, off to waddington.Hopefully I will get the shot I want.

Back