weekly Mr.Si's 52 Week Challenge - Final Photos Added

Close – I like the first two of these. Nicely done in B&W with very suitable lighting on both. I feel the use of the diagonal gives some energy to the image. That said I prefer the symmetry of #1

Bubble – Nicely composed and reasonable lighting (maybe a tad on the dark side) although it’s a bit noisy (ISO seemed too high on the exif)

Bubble - a good idea using the mirror for a background - it must have been a nightmare keeping unwanted reflections out! i do have a reflector now but used to use sheets of white paper/card and or silver foil!

Took me a momnet to see what that was, then.. ah, a soldering iron. Could have brought out the smoke a bit more I feel, I think it's a little too dark.

Yes, raise the exposure a tad or up the whites. Or, if you have a light you could direct it at the smoke to light it up better, just ensure you don't leak any onto the background.

Good interpretation!

Fitting for the theme i find it a little dark........ but saying that when viewd on flickr it looks really good, i think maybe, i would of highlighted the smoke a bit more in pp to make it stand out a little more from the black background. A fantastic attempt over all for something you haven't attempted before.

Thank you all for your comments.
Wow, it really is dark! We looked at it on the laptop where we first saw it and it looked great but on other devices it looks was too dark. I will indeed up the exposure in darktable and re submit.

It's very hard also to see of the smoke is in focus or not.

:runaway: This is just so difficult - I like the warm tone of the smoke - but don't feel that it is visible enough - not sure how you get round this though - I think I'm going to have to google it and hope I can do it ghetto stylee :D

Thank you.

I've upped the exposure and here is the revised version (which I will swap out on the no comments thread)
The moral of the story is "never edit on a cheap laptop" :)

Smoke
by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Hi Simon, I agree, it does look a little dark :).

Photographing smoke is completely new territory for me so not a lot I can add. Like your idea of using the soldering iron though (y)

Edit- crossed post with you there Simon, your 2nd image looks better (y)

Last edited:
Yes, that's much better. "Can you see what is yet?" I can now! :)

I like the idea of this, the second image is much better.

Shame about the smoke not being in focus and it could do with a bit of a clean up at the top, needs WB sorting too.

Sorry to be so critical, smoke can be hard to photograph being as its so unpredictable.

Yes, raise the exposure a tad or up the whites. Or, if you have a light you could direct it at the smoke to light it up better, just ensure you don't leak any onto the background.

Good interpretation!

This. The inclusion of the soldering iron works well.

Cheers.

Hi Simon

another smoke shot that I can't crit cos my previous attempts were horrendous ! Like the idea of the solder iron though , makes a change from incense sticks , (y)your edited version shows the smoke off much better

nice job finding a fairly simple way to get smoke...

nice composition with the solder coming in from the corner.

Close second edit really good
Bubbles bang on
And smoke second shot very good idea like it :clap:

Good image Simon (y) you either had a lot of patience or some good super glue :D It does look a little soft to me too though :)

Thanks all, yes I agree it's a little soft. But we liked the composition. Manual focus is always a tricky thing. Although I think it may be an optical illusion due to the subject being photographed

Very pretty - nice composition and very patriotic colours. Why do you use manual focusing btw?

Great colours in the mineral shot, love the composition but it does appear to be a little soft.

Nicely done Si....all crit covered above regarding focus. Perhaps position the stones not so central in the frame for a bit more of a dynamic comp? Please put us all out of our misery...Did you glue the stones to create the stack??? :)

Back