weekly Peter 123's 52 for 2022

Mmmmm that looks yummy - and very well shot!

I'll have my slice twice as thick please :woot:

Week 42 Precision

View: https://flic.kr/p/2nVpEMw
This is a glass stage micrometer slide. It is used to calibrate a graticule (measuring) eyepiece on a microscope. The scales show up to 100th of a millimetre.
I use this on an old microscope to analyse the pollen in my honey - 400x mag is the usual setting for this.
The pollen grains are different sizes but quite a few are a similar shape so measuring them helps identification.

Placed on a small light panel and lit from below.

Last edited:
Every day's a school day here!
Seriously, it's great to see unusual shots and get an explanation behind them. I certainly had no idea such a thing existed.
As with another comment I made in another person's thread, being slightly rotated left to right more in line with horizontal would make this better for me - it's not far off, but bugs me slightly (but as I said in the other post that's me, and might not bother anyone else.)

And I'm curious Peter. What makes better/nicer honey in your experience? Is it more pollen/less pollen, bigger or smaller pollen, or something else?

OK ref. horizontal. LR auto said it was straight but now I look at it it's not.

Honey is modified nectar collected from flowers and the different nectars have different tastes and slightly different colours.
It is nearly always a mix of nectars. Over 50% can be called X honey (e.g. heather honey.)
So, its down to the individual human's taste as to what they like.
Some examples
Heather Honey - strong distinctive taste like by most people (this is jelly-like honey)
Ivy honey - not many people like this - tastes like Germolene smells IMO.
Oil Seed Rape honey. Bland taste but OSR produces lots of nectar and is loved by bees. Sets like concrete.

I expect mine to be good mix of different local flowers. I'll analyse it over the winter.

Honey that has only been lightly filtered to remove the wax is the best. Commercial stuff sold in supermarkets has been heated and fine filtered to enable to stay runny.
Gets rid of all the pollen that produces the taste.

Honey that is labelled "From the EU and Other Countries" is mainly from China (where they use antibiotics to cure bees diseases - not allowed in UK)

Manuka honey is slightly higher antibacterial content than UK honey but not worth the money IMO. Globally something like 20 tonnes of manuka is produced annually and approx 80 tonnes is sold. Work that out for yourself.

Phew, lesson over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
Great information Peter. Makes me wonder if the types of pollen that you find affect the taste of the honey?

I do agree with Simon though, the lines are a little wonky.

Interest write up to your Image Peter, after that I might just go a buy a jar of honey from out local beekeeper.

Peter

Nice to learn something whilst we're doing this. I'm loving the term "graticule"...

Nice fishy boat - looks in good nick!

That boat looks very nice. I like the perspective.

Week 44 Autumnal

The weather here has been very Autumnal - wet and windy. So getting out to take a shot meant getting wet or waiting.

3 choices for me this week.

1. Lucky to catch this garden maintenance couple working around the corner. I chose this one because Autumn always means fallen leaves - and there was some action.

Week 44 Autumnal 6 by Peter Stephens, on Flickr

2. This one I tried to get Autumn, rain and dead, wet, leaves into the shot but I'm not sure it worked. Quite a bit of fiddling with the processing to get the raindrops to show,

Week 44 Autumnal 4A by Peter Stephens, on Flickr

3. Autumn vegetables harvested on my wife's allotment.

Week 44 ON1 by Peter Stephens, on Flickr

Three good takes on the theme. No1 is my pick but I;d make a few tweaks to simplify it. Crop the sky - clone out the building. You've got a subtle leading line through the leaves too :)

Nice set Peter. Your chosen one works best for me and the tweaked version with Dave's suggestions makes it even better

Back