weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

Hi phil, I like it would have liked a little more of the head in the frame but as you have explained that i will forgive you, focus on the front set of teeth is spot on (y)
certainly fits the theme,

Thanks Allan

......... as for jumping in and prodding it thats what the wife is for :LOL:

:LOL:.....I won't repeat what she said, but this :bat:and your ar*e was mentioned :eek: :LOL:

That's quite scary-looking Phil :eek: I think the dof is just right for the theme - drawing the eye straight to the sharp pointy teeth.

Thanks Elaine :)

Wow... I think that qualifies!! Well done you for pushing the boat out (not literally, I hope) and getting that :)

DOF choice is bang on for me. Sure. it would be stronger if it were facing you rather than looking away but you were not exactly able to move it around... well done to get what you did. Focus and lighting good although (I'm starting to sound like a broken record here), I reckon it could do with a slight tweak up in the exposure stakes? Cracking image though.

Cheers Paul, I've had a very quick look at the raw again, .....:thinking:...yes, it may possibly stand a slight lift but I've got to admit, the exposure slider is the only adjustment I try not to use, I always try to get the exposure close enough in camera to be able to use the image :) (does that make sense :confused::D)

Hi Phil....yes, definitely a WOW .... absolutely spot on for the theme..the focus is on what counts ...those teeth :eek: you've captured them perfectly.

Thanks Susie :)

I absolutely love the detail and texture around the teeth and scales around the RH third. Really nice.

I'd have cropped the greenery out at the top and maybe a little of the lower ground.

I must get to tropical world again soon as it's only 10 minutes from where I live :)

Cheers.

Scary but beautiful. You must be pleased with that! :clap:

Hi Phil

sorry for the late visit

Sharp.....perfect focus on the sharp gnashers.....I like this as is...you can't always get the shot you want in crowded places so to come away with this was a great result :)

Architectural #1.....I really need to visit this place , been on my list for a sunset for ages but never seem to get there! I like the POV which emphasises just how massive the structure is (y)
The 2nd I like as well for being a little different , the truck going across it gives a sense of scale ...can't decide which is my favorite .......

Joker.....impressive ! Not going to crit as I just can't do these type of shots so just a big (y) from me

The DOF is bang on Phil. The "point" of the image ;) Is that the theme is sharp and for me it's on the money

Cheers Colin

Hi Phil
Sharp - jeez that looks scary.
On theme, like the angle and the detail and the colours. Good dof, really separating the head from the b/g. Green bit at top a bit bright but minor point.

Thanks Alan

I absolutely love the detail and texture around the teeth and scales around the RH third. Really nice.

I'd have cropped the greenery out at the top and maybe a little of the lower ground.

I must get to tropical world again soon as it's only 10 minutes from where I live :)

Cheers.

Cheers Andy

Hi Phil

sorry for the late visit

Sharp.....perfect focus on the sharp gnashers.....I like this as is...you can't always get the shot you want in crowded places so to come away with this was a great result :)

Architectural #1.....I really need to visit this place , been on my list for a sunset for ages but never seem to get there! I like the POV which emphasises just how massive the structure is (y)
The 2nd I like as well for being a little different , the truck going across it gives a sense of scale ...can't decide which is my favorite .......

Joker.....impressive ! Not going to crit as I just can't do these type of shots so just a big (y) from me

:wave: Lynne, thanks for the catch up :)

Hi Phil.....

Sharp:
Hell yeah, now that is sharp (and deadly). Really like the sharpness on the teeth and DOF works well to highlight these as the subject, though that said, I just cant help feeling I would like to see a sharp eye too. I do understand though your situation on site created some technical limitations. NIce solid pic for this week (y)

Architecture: Both really pleasing shots, though I like number one best. Feel the composition here is bolder and suits the subject (and POV) better. Like the foreground interest provided by the rocks and sand and the little slither of bridge shadow across the water is a nice touch too. Cant fault it at all other than believing it could only be improved by using dawn or dusk lighting (but you know that already)

Half: Well know... models form and composition cant be faulted - you lucky man...lol ;). Its a great idea and a project piece to bring you guys (two halfs) together for some fun and laughs. Think that greater attention to lighting (and it does'nt need to involve expense) and a conversion to mono would improve this immensely. Would like to see you do a reshoot on this pic for two reasons 1) techincally too improve on this effort 2) to keep having fun and involving your otherhalf in your hobby. Strongly believe this kind of thing must help keep the flame of love burning.

acttr
acttr
acttr
acttr
acttr
acttr

Hi Phil.....

Sharp:
Hell yeah, now that is sharp (and deadly). Really like the sharpness on the teeth and DOF works well to highlight these as the subject, though that said, I just cant help feeling I would like to see a sharp eye too. I do understand though your situation on site created some technical limitations. NIce solid pic for this week (y)

Architecture: Both really pleasing shots, though I like number one best. Feel the composition here is bolder and suits the subject (and POV) better. Like the foreground interest provided by the rocks and sand and the little slither of bridge shadow across the water is a nice touch too. Cant fault it at all other than believing it could only be improved by using dawn or dusk lighting (but you know that already)

Half: Well know... models form and composition cant be faulted - you lucky man...lol ;). Its a great idea and a project piece to bring you guys (two halfs) together for some fun and laughs. Think that greater attention to lighting (and it does'nt need to involve expense) and a conversion to mono would improve this immensely. Would like to see you do a reshoot on this pic for two reasons 1) techincally too improve on this effort 2) to keep having fun and involving your otherhalf in your hobby. Strongly believe this kind of thing must help keep the flame of love burning.

acttr
acttr
acttr
acttr
acttr
acttr

Thanks Jason, feedback appreciated :) ........yes,I agree, think I would have preferred to see the eye in focus too :)

Hey Phil :)

Skill - Well, what can I say....

.....here's my entry for skill :naughty:

Skill :angelic:.............this maybe classed as an archive shot DK @Dark Knight :p
:bat:

LOL :D

Real nice shot that Phil, I love how it looks like they have appeared from the clouds, real nice composition and colours... and yes MASSES of skill there (y)

Half - Thanks for the great detail in how you achieved this, very usefull for me, I'd like to do more of this sort of lighting too, and with the dark nights coming up soon I may get my wish... unfortunate I'm not that good with the lighting side so hard to crit, but what I would like to see was more/brighter red shoe, I like the way you have blended her knickers into the background as you say, overall I think you have done a good job... and your wife has done excellent, even more so with the 8 second exposure (y)

Architecture - Now then, a tough call here... I'm going for the first shot, I really like that angle, I like how it finishes on the third line, obviously the square crop was essential for this, like the low straight horizon and quite a nice sky too (y)

I like the second shot too, like the colours of the sky, the empty bench, I'd be tempted to take some off the right hand side, The support works great on the thirds, the cables drop down and then start to go back up again, for me they need to stop at the low point, also clone oput the truck, my eyes keep going to it... other than that a great set :clap:

Promise - It may be a Joker, but nowt wrong with that, it got you out with your camera so has done it's bit !!! - I like this, and would love to do some shots like it too, covered your crit yourself again so also shows your learning, two ticks (y)

Sharp - That's a cracking image Phil, love the PoV, good composition and to me bang on DoF... great detail and lovely sharp pointy teeth :clap:

Hey Phil :)

Skill - Well, what can I say....

:bat:

LOL :D

Real nice shot that Phil, I love how it looks like they have appeared from the clouds, real nice composition and colours... and yes MASSES of skill there (y)

Half - Thanks for the great detail in how you achieved this, very usefull for me, I'd like to do more of this sort of lighting too, and with the dark nights coming up soon I may get my wish... unfortunate I'm not that good with the lighting side so hard to crit, but what I would like to see was more/brighter red shoe, I like the way you have blended her knickers into the background as you say, overall I think you have done a good job... and your wife has done excellent, even more so with the 8 second exposure (y)

Architecture - Now then, a tough call here... I'm going for the first shot, I really like that angle, I like how it finishes on the third line, obviously the square crop was essential for this, like the low straight horizon and quite a nice sky too (y)

I like the second shot too, like the colours of the sky, the empty bench, I'd be tempted to take some off the right hand side, The support works great on the thirds, the cables drop down and then start to go back up again, for me they need to stop at the low point, also clone oput the truck, my eyes keep going to it... other than that a great set :clap:

Promise - It may be a Joker, but nowt wrong with that, it got you out with your camera so has done it's bit !!! - I like this, and would love to do some shots like it too, covered your crit yourself again so also shows your learning, two ticks (y)

Sharp - That's a cracking image Phil, love the PoV, good composition and to me bang on DoF... great detail and lovely sharp pointy teeth :clap:

Thanks DK , as always, crit/comments and feedback appreciated :)

Pure.......where's that crow bar? :p

Went to Anglesey Circuit for the Thundersport GB round yesterday to watch mi mates lad race. Shouldn't really complain about the weather, not too windy and fairly bright, looks like I picked the right day, think they'll be racing on wets this afternoon.

Though I'd better get some practice in at panning, he's pick up a new sponsor and been offered a ride in the BSB Superstock 1000's, next year :clap:

I've put a couple up, very similar but I was undecided which I preferred :thinking:

So....being a biker all mi life, I can relate to the feeling of.....

Pure adrenalin ;) .........Does this qualify as a re-shoot @Dark Knight :D

Alex TS GB Anglesey '14
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Alex 4 TS GB Anglesey '14
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Hi Phil, no crowbar for me, although I'd made the link with "pure speed" before I read your comment about adrenaline.

Super panning - you've got the biker and bike crystal clear and sharp. The second shot is simply awesome: to grab the shot at that moment as the front wheel is off the ground, perfect panning and positioned within the frame just right. Absolutely spot on! :clap:

Hi, don't really do motor sport but I can appreciate a well caught picture :clap:, out of the two the second one is more appealing for the reasons mentioned above

Hi Phil

ya got me the second I saw a bike.....theme ?? of course it fits ( whatever the theme is a bike will always fit :D ) Fab panning there mister...love the lofted front wheel...viewed large on flickr is better as you can see how pin sharp bike/rider are......:clap::clap:

Crocodile - the slight OOF of the eye only serves to draw attention to the teeth. Important for the theme. And the teeth are super sharp.

Biker is nicely panned, first for me due to the cleaner BG, (lack of tyre wall mainly), you haven't cropped any from in front of him have you? Motorsport pans, people always want more space in front!

Although looking back up - the body position of the second os more appealing and with the wheelie I think it actually edges it even with the tyres in the BG

Wow Phil those are brilliant shots...forget whether they fit the theme or not :) Sometimes we all need a small explanation for our choice and yours fits the bill perfectly for me ... very impressed with those :clap: well done.

Hi Susie, thank you very much :)

Hi Phil, no crowbar for me, although I'd made the link with "pure speed" before I read your comment about adrenaline.

Super panning - you've got the biker and bike crystal clear and sharp. The second shot is simply awesome: to grab the shot at that moment as the front wheel is off the ground, perfect panning and positioned within the frame just right. Absolutely spot on! :clap:

Thanks Paul, it took a few attempts to get that shot (well one I was happy with), trouble is, I only had 12 attempts (laps) but managed about lap 8 :D

Hi Phil

ya got me the second I saw a bike.....theme ?? of course it fits ( whatever the theme is a bike will always fit :D ) Fab panning there mister...love the lofted front wheel...viewed large on flickr is better as you can see how pin sharp bike/rider are......:clap::clap:

Hi Lynne, thank you:)

Crocodile - the slight OOF of the eye only serves to draw attention to the teeth. Important for the theme. And the teeth are super sharp.

Biker is nicely panned, first for me due to the cleaner BG, (lack of tyre wall mainly), you haven't cropped any from in front of him have you? Motorsport pans, people always want more space in front!

Although looking back up - the body position of the second os more appealing and with the wheelie I think it actually edges it even with the tyres in the BG

Thanks Graham, yes, both images have had a crop:)

Scary but beautiful. You must be pleased with that! :clap:

Thanks David and apologies, looking back I've just noticed I missed your post :facepalm:

Hi Phil
Pure Adrenaline - my first thoughts were that the shots fitted the them because of pure speed or, in the case of the first one, pure line and control - so fits for me.
Prefer #1 because it is the 'cleaner' of the two for me - total control of the bike and line and good b/g. Very good panning (y)

Hi Phil
Pure Adrenaline - my first thoughts were that the shots fitted the them because of pure speed or, in the case of the first one, pure line and control - so fits for me.
Prefer #1 because it is the 'cleaner' of the two for me - total control of the bike and line and good b/g. Very good panning (y)

Thanks Alan, I prefer the first but most people that have looked at them seem to go for the 2nd.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I'd just have a little boast :D
I've had these printed off A4 size and framed for mi mates lad. They're so pleased with them they want 6 of each to pass onto this years sponsors as a thank you :banana:Cheers Alex, good luck with next season (y)

Fantastic Phil, that's what it's all about. Seeing your pics on a wall is so much better than on a computer screen. (y)

I have Lynn to thank (Mrs D) for this idea. I was racking mi brains ( ok so it didn't take mi long :p) to come up with an idea when she suggested mi campervan snow globe our daughter bought mi a few years ago. :cool:

I wanted to try show the colours in the flakes as well as a bit of sparkle.........possibly ended up with more colour than sparkle :banghead:

I was after a different effect than the norm and shot this at 1/3200th wide open in very bright sunlight. My thinking was to get as much detail and colour in the globe but make the bg very dark.

Shot in raw and adjusted in ACR. I was going to crop quite tight to the globe but the bokeh on the left was a bonus so left it in.

Please don't feel you have to comment, I fully understand it can be hard work, I've already not kept to mi word to try harder to keep up .......Where's
@alsjazzera with that birch :crying::exit:

So, with the help of Mrs D ....

Sparkle

Sparkle
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
"Please don't feel you have to comment, I fully understand it can be hard work, I've already not kept to mi word to try harder to keep up .......Where's
@alsjazzera with that birch" :crying::exit:

Oh I am still waiting :bat:

well it certainly suggests sparkly to me, it's a bloody difficult theme, so well done for getting something (y)

.............now where were we :bat:

Hi Phil... that's a great take for the theme (as Allan says) so well done for coming up with that... in conjunction with your other half, of course.

The photo is good... nice background and I like the bokeh on the left. Not 100% convinced the whole ball is in focus, but it might just be my eyes? It's a difficult one to get - maybe a smaller aperture would have sharpened it up a touch?

It's a really tough week, so a thumbs up from me.

It's sparkly so it fits the theme. Would never have guessed this was taken i full sunlight.

Only thing I might have done would be to have cloned a couple more oof highlights onto the right side of the BG.

Hi Phil...well done with your prints...I'm not surprised they were popular ...really great shots (y)

I love that little campervan ...and well done to Mrs D on thinking of that for you ...I imagine it was really hard to take as it was all moving pretty fast so I think you've done a good job there, I'm glad you left the background in, it's just right.... and of course it's nice and sparkly, so bang on theme too :)

"Please don't feel you have to comment, I fully understand it can be hard work, I've already not kept to mi word to try harder to keep up .......Where's
@alsjazzera with that birch" :crying::exit:

Oh I am still waiting :bat:

well it certainly suggests sparkly to me, it's a bloody difficult theme, so well done for getting something (y)

.............now where were we :bat:

Thanks Allan.......I'm a little concern your taking far too much pleasure from that! :p

Hi Phil... that's a great take for the theme (as Allan says) so well done for coming up with that... in conjunction with your other half, of course.

The photo is good... nice background and I like the bokeh on the left. Not 100% convinced the whole ball is in focus, but it might just be my eyes? It's a difficult one to get - maybe a smaller aperture would have sharpened it up a touch?

It's a really tough week, so a thumbs up from me.

Thanks Paul, you could be right about the focus, it was a strange one, I tried mf as well as af on this one but they both looked the same, possibly needed more dof but I also put some of it down to looking through the liquid (what ever it is they put in, looks a bit thicker than water :confused:) as it was spinning round :)

Hi Phil :)

I'm with Paul on this one, nice idea, liking the background but feel it needs more DoF... or is it so much movement caught in the glitter that it just looks that way :thinking: - perfect shot for the bngger of a theme (y)

Thanks DK......I'm unsure as well :thinking: :D

It's sparkly so it fits the theme. Would never have guessed this was taken i full sunlight.

Only thing I might have done would be to have cloned a couple more oof highlights onto the right side of the BG.

Thanks Graham, direct sunlight through glass anyway, shot on the window sill in the porch which is 80% glass ( if ya posh read 'small orangery' :D)

Hi Phil...well done with your prints...I'm not surprised they were popular ...really great shots (y)

I love that little campervan ...and well done to Mrs D on thinking of that for you ...I imagine it was really hard to take as it was all moving pretty fast so I think you've done a good job there, I'm glad you left the background in, it's just right.... and of course it's nice and sparkly, so bang on theme too :)

Thank you Susie :)

What a great idea Phil :whistle: ;)

Thanks Lynn :rolleyes:..............its about time you started making more of an appearance on here ........:thinking:........2nd thoughts..... no, don't bother....last thing I need is you have access to the classifieds :p :kiss:

Good idea for Sparkle, and the bokeh is a nice addition. It does look slightly OOF, though.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy .......I'm a little undecided....:thinking:....viewed large on flickr a lot of the glitter looks in focus which was what I was trying to achieve :)

As you've probably gathered by now, I have a tendency to try and crowbar an image, that I've taken over the weekend, into the theme ...........and this week is no exception :p

After being cancelled last weekend with perfect weather conditions :banghead:, this weekend, Lynn managed to get her first trial glider lesson in. Grey, misty conditions were far from perfect, both for visibility from the glider and taking photos
shakehead.gif

She has another two to do in the next couple of months, hopefully some better weather next time.

Anyway I managed to get this as they were coming into land, taken with the theme in mind, just before I got shouted at for being stood in 'a dangerous spot' :)

Please, no comments necessary, I still can't seem to get round many TP'52's
sorryp.gif

Falling..........thankfully, very gently :D

TP 52 Week 36 Fall
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
HI Phil

Sparkle....difficult theme again but you got the Sparkle so works for me.....all crit's been covered so :)

Fall....crowbarred just a smidge but with no engine I guess it is falling but in a controlled manner.....perfectly focused & nice low POV (y)

Hi Phil,

Sparkle works for me although as mentioned it looks slightly oof.
Fall - I suppose it is a bit crowbarred but hey it still works for me, focus, dof and pov are all good.

Hi Phil - on theme for me. It's unpowered and is technically falling at that moment in time :)

It's a shame the sky was so rubbish - these things happen though... at least your wife was able to actually get airborne this time!

I like the saturation of the grass and trees and your focusing on the glider is spot on. Some parts of the scenery look a touch oversharpened in the forum post above, and for some reason Flickr doesn't appear to be working so I can't check on there... I often find resized flickr links can look a bit oversharpened here, whereas viewed at "normal" size in flickr they're fine - I'm going to assume that's the case here!

Hi Phil, flying is just falling with style so well on theme, could do with getting rid of the tree on the left, do you not carry a chainsaw :naughty:,
as you say pity about the sky though obviously not your fault.
hopefully you will get some better shots next time

Please, no comments necessary,

as no-one else is heeding your request... I shant either.. :D

Good job here - things coming towards you are pretty hard to nail focus on but you have this one. Appropriate settings showing good grasp of the camera (y)

When she gets her pilots licence you should be good for some aerial shots from the back seat. (y)

Back