weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

Great and unusual idea which really works well. God, I wish I wasn't de-toxing after Christmas!

Play:

lateral thinking ✓
dissection ✓
quality image ✓

Well Phil you must be one of the very few that can actually "eat" their image once posted love it and now I'm hungry for chocolate. :D

Odd - Simple and effective. Fits the theme.
Line - Prefer the colour version. The rusty railings seem to add to the interest.
Play - Just making me hungry now.

Thanks Peter, its Scammonden Bridge over the M62 :)
Cheers Phil. That's where I thought it might be. After 15+ years of living in Yorkshire I only drive over that bridge for the first time a few weeks ago. It looks high from the motorway but nothing like it feels when you are on it.

Play - Good thinking for the theme. If I was to find a crit it would be to get a bit more light on the cut edges of the Mars bar but well done for the caramel not breaking. That really helps the image.

Excellent shot.
Sadly of an age where I got it straight away and I was actually thinking of doing the same but would not have got anything of that quality.

Thank you all, very much, for the comments :)

Good start to your 52 Phil (y)

Line, bang on theme but I find the composition a little 'off'
If the image was flipped horizontally so as the road is disappearing into the top right corner, I feel this would help the viewers eye through the frame. (y)

Good start to your 52 Phil (y)

Line, bang on theme but I find the composition a little 'off'
If the image was flipped horizontally so as the road is disappearing into the top right corner, I feel this would help the viewers eye through the frame. (y)

o_O

Its a simple composition guide David, we, in the west read left to right, it works the same with photographs.
The road leading through this frame goes from right to left, making it a bit 'awkward' IMHO

Hmmmmm ... interesting comment. I've just copy & pasted it into Paint.net, flipped it horizontally ... and it just doesn't look right. That's probably because I know what the original looks like and I know this is not the original. But maybe it's got something to do with the direction of traffic flow: the original goes with the flow, flip it and you're going against the flow.

A quick catch up with your first three themes, Phil.

Odd - I really like your interpretation of the theme. The focus is spot on and draws attention to that domino being not only an odd number but also the odd one out.
Line - I liked the first one in B&W, although I feel it is just a little flat and could maybe do with a contrast boost (the vagaries of the weather!), but then I saw the colour version and actually prefer that one because of the rust. I understand your quandary about the rusty colour and my first instinct would probably have been to convert to B&W as you did, but the colour one seems to have more to it when compared. And all those lines! It's a well chosen scene and meets the theme perfectly
Play - great idea and interpretation, and you've captured it well.

You're off to a strong start - well done! :)

I like 'Lines' Phil. Nice low point of view. I think it looks much better in colour, especially with all that rust.

'Play is excellent. Shows great lateral thinking. Perfectly exposed and pin sharp. The detail of the caramel joining the two halves is a nice touch. :)

Gerry

Play - great idea and effectively excercuted.

I had thought about a similar idea but just couldn't think how to make the most of the subject; without doing three photogprahs of me working, resting, and playing.

Thank you for all the above comments (y) much appreciated :)

Now for close....:thinking:.......well I had an idea, then I didn't, then I did, then.......well you get the idea

Anyway, I've ended up going with this for now, close quarters :D

week 3 close
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Tbh, the jury's still out for me, I'm just not sure what I think. :thinking: Again, with only house hold lighting available, I've struggled to get my background white :banghead:

Hi Phil

I originally had the same idea of using a mars bar but glad I didn't as you have it nailed...impressed that you got the caramel to stay in tact , good angle , nicely focused & good colors.. (y) as per Marsha....slight increase in exposure comp may have help even out the bg a tad

Brilliant definitions of 'play' and 'close'.
The Mars idea is brilliantly simple, great shot that fits the theme perfectly.
Good play on words for 'close' too. Again, simple shot that works really well.

Good idea for close - I'm frantically going through all the versions of the word trying to come up with somethig that's not too ambiguous - it has me quite stumped at the moment.

Nicely lit, good clean background

Some really different thinking on the themes, both very nice shots

Hi Phil

I originally had the same idea of using a mars bar but glad I didn't as you have it nailed...impressed that you got the caramel to stay in tact , good angle , nicely focused & good colors.. (y) as per Marsha....slight increase in exposure comp may have help even out the bg a tad

Thanks Lynne, I did go slightly longer on the exposure for 'close' and it has made the bg a little better :)
Close...yup works for me. Nice and simple idea that works well.

Slightly lower POV maybe.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, I did try a few POV but the lighting reflected badly on the tiles and looked shocking :)

Close quarters....... well what can i say to that one :thinking: it's a nice simple shot i like the colour of the tiles ( would look lovely on my bathroom splash back ) i think the jury's out for me on this one.

Thanks Mandy :), you and my missus must think very similar ;)

I am not sure either,I can't just put mi finger on it tbh :thinking:

I had the idea of 'close' quarters and tried a couple of things to see if it worked, it didn't. The tiles were about the best

Brilliant definitions of 'play' and 'close'.
The Mars idea is brilliantly simple, great shot that fits the theme perfectly.
Good play on words for 'close' too. Again, simple shot that works really well.

Cheers Mike :)

Good idea for close - I'm frantically going through all the versions of the word trying to come up with somethig that's not too ambiguous - it has me quite stumped at the moment.

Nicely lit, good clean background

Thank you Sarah :) I had the idea of 'close quarters' nearly instantly, it was finding something to hand that actually worked that was the problem :thinking:

Well I was a bit mystified at first when I saw the original on the 52 thread but now I see :) you managed the tile spacing very well, it looks perfect ... cool and clean ... I like it!

Thank you Susie :) I purposely didn't put anything other then 'close' in the no comments thread. I thought it might look like I'd lost the plot :D

Nice, simple and on theme.

Good colours, lighting and spacing.

Cheers Mark :)

Some really different thinking on the themes, both very nice shots

Thank you Liz :)

Interesting interpretations of the themes! Nicely shot images.

Couldn't see the connection to the theme until I read your explanation. I like the placement and the colours.

Hi Phil

Close straight to the point love the idea and the colours used

On theme (ish), well lit, well composed, well arranged, just a bit on the dull side.

It's always hard following a week when you've had a great shot, like your Mars Bar one. (Oh how quickly we forget. ;))

Have to agree not the most inspiring shot but top marks for the spacing and the play on words

Back